Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Home Studio Setups

Comments

• edited May 2017

Still waiting for someone to post a pic of a lone iPhone sitting on an ironing board. :smiley:

• @asnor said:
    Still waiting for someone to post a pic of a lone iPhone sitting on an ironing board. :smiley:

Lol, I hear you. Probably if they're at that stage of investment they probably aren't the forum types trying to envelope themselves in it all.

That's the democracy of iOS Music Production and frankly the music business today: anyone can make music that on first blush (especially with MP3's quality) sounds okay, clear & loud, and then deliver it in a thousand different ways, from the basic email of a track to a friend/bandmate to full iTunes distribution.

With that you get all kinds. Wonks like me who've been doing it for 25 years and cats with a new iPhone 7 and GarageBand making their first beat assembling premade loops, like building audio legos.

Reckon monitors, interfaces, desks, shit a seat is overkill in that situation...

• A scrap of paper
    and a pencil stub
    is all a man needs
    to make his girl blub...

• @Cib said:
    Lol, none of these set-ups looks like a mobile musician.

My travel setup:

• @Rubooch said:

@Cib said:
    Lol, none of these set-ups looks like a mobile musician.

My travel setup:

Okay, now that's just straight badass right there. That's overhead compartment with room left for your overcoat too.

Those travel guitars by Steinberg, Hofner, etc are very cool. What make is that one @Rubooch ?

• Okay, now that's just straight badass right there. That's overhead compartment with room left for your overcoat too.

Those travel guitars by Steinberg, Hofner, etc are very cool. What make is that one @Rubooch ?

This one: https://www.lapaxe.com/_p/prd1/4610835811/product/exmh-satin-black-shadow

It's a cool little guitar, scale length is about 22 inches, very nice to play, perhaps a bit cramped on the upper frets. I've done some mods including fitting a midi pickup, which means I can use it to play softsynths and amp sims simultaneously.

• That's my last studio, most of which is currently on a boat somewhere in the atlantic (I hope).

• @Tarekith said:

That's my last studio, most of which is currently on a boat somewhere in the atlantic (I hope).

You know there's something elegantly American Psycho about this, right? :)

• @Tarekith said:
    That's my last studio, most of which is currently on a boat somewhere in the atlantic (I hope).

Oooh nice speakers. Remind me of Dunlavy. What are they?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Tarekith said:

You know there's something elegantly American Psycho about this, right? :)

LOL. @Tarekith for a goof you know you're gonna have to play some Huey Lewis & The News "Sports" on those now!

Seriously, that cabling solution where your charger & USB cables are like in a snake is brilliant!

• edited May 2017

@gusgranite said:

@Tarekith said:

Custom Tyler Acoustic D2x's.

I don't get the American Psycho reference though, never seen the movie :(

I'm a freak for neat cables though, no doubt. All my gear has similar bundles tucked behind the desk. Push 2, Circuit, Traktor S8, etc. Makes it easy to treat the desk like a workbench and quickly plug something in as I think of it.

• @Tarekith said:
    I don't get the American Psycho reference though, never seen the movie :(

I'm a freak for neat cables though, no doubt. All my gear has similar bundles tucked behind the desk. Push 2, Circuit, Traktor S8, etc. Makes it easy to treat the desk like a workbench and quickly plug something in as I think of it.

Asked and answered :)

Mister Bateman (as ever, probably better to read the book by B.E. Ellis) was a stickler (or a freak) for things being just so...

No disrespect, just teasing you...

• this is one half view of my workspace:

• edited May 2017

from what I always have with me, to what I take to an organized jam, to my current hybrid home setup (downsized x3 to a single 6 ft bench). probably re-ordered by FB.

• @Tarekith said:

@gusgranite said:

@Tarekith said:

Custom Tyler Acoustic D2x's.

Very nice! I looked them up as I don't know too much about them. Landed on your review in Gearslutz which was cool! I hope they arrive safe and sound.

• edited May 2017

No photo but my set-up is still very mobile.
    It was only an iPhone for years, then iPhone and iPad.
    Now it's an MacBook Pro 15" , iPhone and Seaboard Rise 25. (strange is that i often like to play midi via the macbook keyboard because it has some nice short cuts for live playing).
    On virtual screen i just play sometimes Animoog, Model 15 and Mitosynth.
    I prefer my Seaboard waves now over a normal midi keyboard also for everytime use so it's my only midi keyboard now. I do wish i had the Rise 49.
    I like that i can connect it via bluetooth midi and it works good. Just if i try to use all the MPE stuff it loose sometimes connection because of too much midi traffic. Here i need to connect via usb or lighnting.
    I see for every form of input (virtual keys, macbook keys and midi keyboard) pro and contra.
    I'm still thinking about to make my own chassie.
    F.e. I could imagine to have 2 iPhones beside my trackpad as midi controller included in my macbook chassie.
    I often build those things myself.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Asked and answered :)

Mister Bateman (as ever, probably better to read the book by B.E. Ellis) was a stickler (or a freak) for things being just so...

No disrespect, just teasing you...

None taken, I'm definitely a neat freak that way, no doubt :)

• @Tarekith said:

• That is definitely my fear!

• @Tarekith said:

How does helsinki sound through those speakers?

• Like hell Is sinking.

• @Thomas said:

A MM Fretless 6?!! Damn... that's cool @Thomas

That picture epitomizes the incredible immediacy of iOS Production. The Apogee interface into an Auria equipped iPad. Plug in cans, instrument, done.

Those Apogee converters are as good or better today than what mastering houses used for CD mastering, etc. 10-12 years ago.

Being able to do 192k and 24bits is cool in all but since the consumer digital standard is still 44.1 (and actually lower quality than that with the use of all the different codecs) the real deal greatness of the Apogee stuff doesn't come from that necessarily it's those clean & accurate DAC's...all the ones Ive heard in person I could hear a difference with them & others.

I love my Tascam stuff but I'd love to get an Apogee interface eventually.

@Thomas how's the microphone on that? Kinda convenient/"ehh it's a mic" or a real deal condenser contender?

• @JRSIV said:

@Thomas said:

A MM Fretless 6?!! Damn... that's cool @Thomas

That picture epitomizes the incredible immediacy of iOS Production. The Apogee interface into an Auria equipped iPad. Plug in cans, instrument, done.

Those Apogee converters are as good or better today than what mastering houses used for CD mastering, etc. 10-12 years ago.

Being able to do 192k and 24bits is cool in all but since the consumer digital standard is still 44.1 (and actually lower quality than that with the use of all the different codecs) the real deal greatness of the Apogee stuff doesn't come from that necessarily it's those clean & accurate DAC's...all the ones Ive heard in person I could hear a difference with them & others.

I love my Tascam stuff but I'd love to get an Apogee interface eventually.

@Thomas how's the microphone on that? Kinda convenient/"ehh it's a mic" or a real deal condenser contender?

Thanks. The Bongo plays like a dream and sounds like a freak of nature. :smiley: The mic in the One is nice and convenient. However, I've not used it all that much to offer more honest insight. Hopefully that will change sooner than later. :)

• edited May 2017

Heres my setup:

Basically ipad goes where the computer keyboard is on the larger synth, and stands well on it with the ipads case. I also have few guitars and bass arent in the picture. Kore 2 doesent want to install properly, so its not in use atm, but when i get it working, ill turn the kontrol f1(the pad controller) sideways and put kore 2 over it.

• edited May 2017

@Thomas said:

Got any recordings up with that bass on it?

I'm also primarily a fretless player and love to hear other players' styles on fretless. I find it much more expressive, vocal and 'personal' than a fretted instrument.

• @dwarman & @mayo thanks for posting your studios, very cool. I'll get a few minutes free or in line/traffic waiting and cruise over here and just now got some time to really look at the pics, etc.

Same w/ @Cib , could finally read it in total, and your studio sounds cool. Also glad like me you'll cop to using the on screen keyboards. If it's just a pad or writing into a sequencer they're fine. @dwarman 's in car solution is badass though, for jamming and preforming a controller obviously is preferred.

@ToMess @DaveMagoo you guys as well, thanks. That's serious streamlining- in bed, monitor on stomach, lol. Love it. That is the great thing about iOS, the portability really allows working anytime, anywhere.

I know I spend too much time reading gear info on forums & app blogs or going through recording equipment retailers websites...better spent IN the studio no doubt but the way I love music & gear, it can wander my concentration.

Warren Huart has a great site Produce Like A Pro and posts tons of cool interviews & techniques on his YouTube. He recently asked musician/producer/engineer types to send in pics & videos of their studio and he managed to get 4 pretty long videos out of all the entries. Reminded me of the thread here. Really cool to watch, here's the first one...

• here's my studio in a box , everything contained in one road case, box open or close in less than 10 seconds

. slide up a chair and start playing

• @OscarSouth said:

@Thomas said:

>

Got any recordings up with that bass on it?

I'm also primarily a fretless player and love to hear other players' styles on fretless. I find it much more expressive, vocal and 'personal' than a fretted instrument.

Actually, that day, I switched to my fretted Skjold to record, and have been tracking with it the past few months.
    Here's a track featuring it from a couple years back- http://thomaschill.bandcamp.com/track/unfortunate-brutus Same recording setup.