Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14

Comments

• edited September 2020

@noob @giku_beepstreet @Samu

Do you have any more observations regarding the specifics of when/which auv3s state saving does/ doesn’t work?

I primarily use Cubasis as host and do not work with bleas or zeeon so I’m wondering if I can get away with updating yet

Any other plugs people are having issues with?

I mostly work with chameleon, drambo, voicesynth, fac bandit, Panstation2, perforator, and the TB reverb /eq ~ is anyone having issues with any of those? Any others giving people a hard time?

• edited September 2020

I think the app library needs to improve but it's a start, custom folders are too restrictive currently and are annoyingly small still, app library folders can be full screen and scroll. But this should be the same for custom folders too.

and yes, move to app library is also a good feature.

• @annahahn said:

I mostly work with chameleon, drambo, voicesynth, fac bandit, Panstation2, perforator, and the TB reverb /eq ~ is anyone having issues with any of those? Any others giving people a hard time?

Wait a bit more if you want stability...

Since Apple has not released any update adding the things that are 'missing' to fix some AUv3 related issues it can be a bit shaky. Some AUv3's load some don't and it's not same with all hosts...
    (Ie. one AUv3 might load fine in one host but take down the other).

These issues will get fixed but as is, it can be a bit bumpy ride...
    So, install on your own risk, don't blame anyone but Apple if it doesn't work :D

• @wim said:

@Samu said:

@wim said:

Your device automatically connects to your private home (ISP name redacted) WiFi network because the network remembers its MAC address. Since your device's MAC address may now change, your network may no longer recognize it. As a result, your device could connect to a public WiFi Hotspot within your home (“(ISP hotspot names redacted)” instead of your private home WiFi network.

Only loonies would provide a 'public hotspot' from their home wifi routers...
    ...I mean why pay for something that 'others' can use for free without you knowing it?!

The again if the ISP wants to provide 'everywhere wifi' they'd have to use the customers routers to extend the range...

The first thing I always do when I get a router from an ISP is to turn off its wifi and change the passwords :D
    After that I'll configure my own stuff...

My provider turns it on whether you want it or not. It's not part of your home network and doesn't use your data. It can't be turned off in the router itself, you have to jump through hoops directly with the ISP for that.

And even if you do that, all your neighbors who also have the same ISP are also advertising it, which is worse than leaving it on because the second you have any connection failure, your device connects to the weak signal from your neighbor. :D

There are no alternate choices of internet providers where I live.

Oh my god.

• Updated on my iPhone X. No complaints so far.

• @Samu said:

@annahahn said:

Wait a bit more if you want stability...

Since Apple has not released any update adding the things that are 'missing' to fix some AUv3 related issues it can be a bit shaky. Some AUv3's load some don't and it's not same with all hosts...
    (Ie. one AUv3 might load fine in one host but take down the other).

These issues will get fixed but as is, it can be a bit bumpy ride...
    So, install on your own risk, don't blame anyone but Apple if it doesn't work :D

This is still the state of things. All of my AU's will still be giving people trouble. I've updated them now so that they can save presets and work with new documents in hosts. But, they still won't work with presets or sessions/documents that were saved before the iOS14 update. I don't think there is any way around this until Apple fixes whatever changes they made in the AU libraries.

• @NeonSilicon said:

This is still the state of things. All of my AU's will still be giving people trouble. I've updated them now so that they can save presets and work with new documents in hosts. But, they still won't work with presets or sessions/documents that were saved before the iOS14 update. I don't think there is any way around this until Apple fixes whatever changes they made in the AU libraries.

Apple simply messed up the iPadOS14 release and pushed it out too early just to keep the delivery dates of the iPad 8.
    iPadOS14.2 beta 1 was just released to the public but I don't know if the needed fixes are included...

• @Samu said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Apple simply messed up the iPadOS14 release and pushed it out too early just to keep the delivery dates of the iPad 8.
    iPadOS14.2 beta 1 was just released to the public but I don't know if the needed fixes are included...

I'm on the most recent beta and my AU's still don't work.

• @NeonSilicon said:

But at least they do not crash on my iPad Air 2(iPadOS14) which some other AUv3's do :)

• edited September 2020

:)
    J.Liljedahl/Kymatica
    @j_liljedahl
    ·
    Sep 18
    iOS audio devs, beware of iOS 14: AudioComponentCopyIcon() returns nil for all AUv3's until you first call it for an IAA component! Apple, why don't you test your shit before you release it?

https://mobile.twitter.com/j_liljedahl/status/1306946578641543168

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@tja said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

@wim said:

Your device automatically connects to your private home (ISP name redacted) WiFi network because the network remembers its MAC address. Since your device's MAC address may now change, your network may no longer recognize it. As a result, your device could connect to a public WiFi Hotspot within your home (“(ISP hotspot names redacted)” instead of your private home WiFi network.

...I mean why pay for something that 'others' can use for free without you knowing it?!

The again if the ISP wants to provide 'everywhere wifi' they'd have to use the customers routers to extend the range...

The first thing I always do when I get a router from an ISP is to turn off its wifi and change the passwords :D

My provider turns it on whether you want it or not. It's not part of your home network and doesn't use your data. It can't be turned off in the router itself, you have to jump through hoops directly with the ISP for that.

And even if you do that, all your neighbors who also have the same ISP are also advertising it, which is worse than leaving it on because the second you have any connection failure, your device connects to the weak signal from your neighbor. :D

Oh my god.

That made me chuckle. I actually pictured you breaking out into a cold sweat when I wrote it. :D

It's not actually as nefarious as it seems. And I know enough about the technical aspects to say that with confidence. It's fun to picture you cringing over it though. B)

On a side note though, I also figure that feature of iOS 14 is something I figure you would appreciate. It's one more layer of anonymity if you ever use public wifi anywhere. For instance, MacDonalds wouldn't be able to know that you regularly visited stores in Mar-A-Lago and Moscow leading up to the US elections.

Or have I said too much?

• @Samu said:

@NeonSilicon said:

But at least they do not crash on my iPad Air 2(iPadOS14) which some other AUv3's do :)

That is nice to hear. Thanks for letting me know. It is a bit stressful on the nerves to know you have stuff out there that isn't working right for people.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@annahahn said:
    @noob @giku_beepstreet @Samu

Do you have any more observations regarding the specifics of when/which auv3s state saving does/ doesn’t work?

I primarily use Cubasis as host and do not work with bleas or zeeon so I’m wondering if I can get away with updating yet

Any other plugs people are having issues with?

I'm curious. Why are you even thinking of risking it? Is there anything compelling about iOS 14 that would be worth not waiting a month or two for? I sure don't see anything myself.

• I do get the 'developers remorse' here...

Imagine a user buys a brand new first iPad which ships with a 'buggy' iPadOS version and downloads/buys a bunch of apps and everything just crashes and goes boo boo. What an 'unforgettable' first experience right?

Heck not even Apples own GarageBand works properly with iPadOS14...

Apple Q&A has gone down the drain to satisfy emoji junkies listening to music with a delay with a pair of laggy BT Pods :D

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

It would all be a bit more forgivable if it was possible to downgrade to a previous OS version, or at least to be able to restore a "real" backup that doesn't force an OS and app upgrade for everything.

• edited September 2020

imean iOS 14 is not that bad some apps are fubar , but I dont see this to be for long

• For now, we can save presets with pen & paper like the good old days. :smiley:

• I can totally see Apple pushing updates hard enough for some faint hearted to sue them for it when something goes wrong and make a precedent for optional downgrading... there is always hope... :D

• edited September 2020

Is there a solution to remove the microphone yellow info dot (upper right corner) in our music apps?

• Apps library is really odd.

• @jolico said:
    For now, we can save presets with pen & paper like the good old days. :smiley:

That would be OK as long as you don't mind resetting the AU settings every time you reload a session. The thing that causes the preset bug also causes state loaded from DAWs to not work.

This includes GarageBand. I've got to assume at this point that they only do internal testing with the GB builtin instruments and the v2 AU's that are part of the system.

• @Janosax said:
    Is there a solution to remove the microphone yellow info dot (upper right corner) in our music apps?

A little piece of black Duct Tape should do it. Silver is more manly though.

• does anyone has issues with playbeat with ios14 ?

• @wim why risk it-

i was on the beta and I got attached to a hat /hairstyle for Animoji that isn’t available in 13😉

Actually related to iCloud backup issues that I finally managed to resolve. Still kinda want my hat back though

• @annahahn - yeh, you better go for it. ;)

• edited September 2020

There is some info on this in the thread, but supposedly there is a bug for AUM with iOS 14 causing AUv3s to "not recall saved state or presets". Its on the iOS end so until that gets fixed by Apple...

• https://test.us> @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

@wim said:

Oh my god.

That made me chuckle. I actually pictured you breaking out into a cold sweat when I wrote it. :D

It's not actually as nefarious as it seems. And I know enough about the technical aspects to say that with confidence. It's fun to picture you cringing over it though. B)

On a side note though, I also figure that feature of iOS 14 is something I figure you would appreciate. It's one more layer of anonymity if you ever use public wifi anywhere. For instance, MacDonalds wouldn't be able to know that you regularly visited stores in Mar-A-Lago and Moscow leading up to the US elections.

Or have I said too much?

Hehe, indeed :) :D

And yes, i like the new concept for varying WiFi!

• @anickt said:
    After I do an update I go through Settings and make sure everything is where I want it. It takes 2 minutes. Blaming Apple for everything? Please...

+1

• @quartzite said:
    There is some info on this in the thread, but supposedly there is a bug for AUM with iOS 14 causing AUv3s to "not recall saved state or presets". Its on the iOS end so until that gets fixed by Apple...

+1 we have to wait for a fix from Apple. Big issue.

• edited September 2020

AUM just updated with a workaround for the AU icon issue...👍 not sure if the preset problem is sorted though...

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/aum-audio-mixer/id1055636344