Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14

Comments

• @supadupa555 mine works on ios14 iphone 11 pro

• How’s Gadget doing, does it import samples from iCloud, etc?

• @R_2 said:
    How’s Gadget doing, does it import samples from iCloud, etc?

So far Gadget is running just as it did prior to the iPadOS14 update.

My iPad Air 2 is constantly hooked to wall power since the battery doesn't last too long so I can't tell if Gadgets battery related things are improved.

Don't know if the Gadget IAP restores work since my Gadget is already fully upgraded and doesn't need additional downloads.
    (Some apps have problems download IAP content).

For my use-cases almost no 'gotchas' some AUv3's may fail to load in one host but not another.

I guess we'll see an avalanche of updates in the coming weeks...

• Thanks @Samu Honestly I don’t expect (big) improvements in its battery use caused by an iOS update. Has to be improved from Korg’s side (if even possible). Fully loaded here too.

• @R_2 said:
    Thanks @Samu Honestly I don’t expect (big) improvements in its battery use caused by an iOS update. Has to be improved from Korg’s side (if even possible). Fully loaded here too.

One Improvement I've noticed is increased speed in Safari since it's now blocking a shedload of trackers making page downloads faster.

Also the intermittent freezes when switching apps (I mean I'm on an old 2GB iPad Air 2) has improved, it feels less 'laggy' now.

Can't say it benefits everything and I've not done and will not do any scientific tests, but from user-experience side of things iPadOS14 has not slowed things down, still as usable as it was prior to the update.

I'm a happy camper and I know the remains niggles will get sorted out over time.
    (Still looking really close the at 128GB iPad 8 Wifi as an addition to my iPad fleet).

• @wim Thanks for your response regarding IDAM changes. I am still hopeful. :smile:

• @Samu said:
    One Improvement I've noticed is increased speed in Safari since it's now blocking a shedload of trackers making page downloads faster.

Haven’t updated my iPhone or iPad yet, but I updated Safari on my MacBook and it definitely loads pages faster. Hopefully I’ll see the same on my phone when I update.

• @BradHowes said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Fortunately, I use my own IDE so I don't have to use Xcode for anything apart from deploying to device during development and publishing to the App Store (which makes the whole 30 GB install even more ludicrous 😆). I do use the simulators the odd time... but holy hell, I did wonder yesterday why Xcode isn't available as a boxed copy in Walmart, because that'd definitely be easier and cheaper.

Curious to learn more about your dev environment. I am comfortable with Xcode, but I'd be more comfortable in Emacs. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a sufficiently powerful concoction of Emacs additions to get me to something approaching Xcode's completion. But this was a couple of years ago when I last tried.

My dev environment is built using web technologies, much like Atom or Visual Studio Code, for example. So it can run in a browser. Very handy also for working on remote servers (web projects etc.) -- no need to mount remote filesystems, and very fast because to the server side of the IDE, files are local.

It doesn't have a huge amount of features, but -- true to my general life philosophy -- those that it DOES have work DAMN WELL :D (we're probably derailing the thread though :))

• Why is Pure Synth showing in the Productivity and Finance category in my App Library, is it because I’ve spent lots of money on it or because I’m more productive with it? 🤔

• @GrimLucky said:
    Why is Pure Synth showing in the Productivity and Finance category in my App Library, is it because I’ve spent lots of money on it or because I’m more productive with it? 🤔

The categories in the AppLibrary are truly f'ked up, they should at least follow the categories on the AppStore...
    All my creative music apps are sorted under 'Entertainment' like WTF!

I sort fitness and health under utilities, they don't need their own category (with one app each) in the AppLibrary that wastes space on the screen...

Apple is starting to loose real world focus big time...

• I know, I’ve got a category for Travel with just the Maps app in, perhaps I need to find some more travel apps, if you swipe down on the library screen all the apps are listed in alphabetical order, I found this more useful than the category screen.

• I don't understand the point of the App Library at all, it's something I'll never use and will likely ignore.

• @GrimLucky said:
    Why is Pure Synth showing in the Productivity and Finance category in my App Library, is it because I’ve spent lots of money on it or because I’m more productive with it? 🤔

Probably because its developer has actually explicitly put it there 😉

• @Tarekith said:
    I don't understand the point of the App Library at all, it's something I'll never use and will likely ignore.

Agreed. We should at least be able to customize the categories and what goes where. Either that or give us the ability to turn this thing on or off. I’m glad iPadOS doesn’t have it!

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Tarekith said:
    I don't understand the point of the App Library at all, it's something I'll never use and will likely ignore.

Agreed. We should at least be able to customize the categories and what goes where. Either that or give us the ability to turn this thing on or off. I’m glad iPadOS doesn’t have it!

It cannot be turned off?
    OMFG.

Glady, i did not yet update my iPhone

• @tja said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Tarekith said:

It cannot be turned off?
    OMFG.

Glady, i did not yet update my iPhone

You have to swipe left from your last page of apps to get to it. Otherwise you’d never even know it was there. It’s certainly not intrusive.

I can see this becoming very useful. They just need to add the ability to customize categories. I’d imagine that’s on the road map. Along with audio tracks.

As far as the update overall, I find a lot of things that are useful or just make the path to doing things straighter and smoother.

• @Tarekith said:

Hehe, I understand the point but question the effectiveness / reasons for the ultra shittiness of it.

• To me it just seems like the same thing as setting up your own folders on another page, except now you have no control over it.

• @Tarekith said:
    To me it just seems like the same thing as setting up your own folders on another page, except now you have no control over it.

I agree but it does have a search function, recent install and recent use windows. I think it has potential. I also think it’s for people who have a million apps on their phone which isn’t me tbh. Sometimes apple brings out something and I say “why would I ever need that”. I said that about the iPod. 😆

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It’s a great place to get rid of apps that you don’t use often.

Also good for AuV3s that are only opened in hosts.

• @jolico said:
    It’s a great place to get rid of apps that you don’t use often.

Yes, but I already use folders for both those categories. My third home screen contains only folders. And the categories are very logical. So what's the point, really?

• Does it mean that custom folders are gone?

• @Tarekith said:
    To me it just seems like the same thing as setting up your own folders on another page, except now you have no control over it.

99% of the time I just swipe down, type the first couple letters of the app I want to use and hit it there.

• @uncledave said:

@jolico said:

Yes, but I already use folders for both those categories. My third home screen contains only folders. And the categories are very logical. So what's the point, really?

This is initial release. I feel it will be further developed. Put in a feature request. They do read them because I’ve had responses.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Or search them on Twitter. I’ve had responses there too but I Tweet no more these days.

• @uncledave said:

@jolico said:

The point for me is that I wasted a lot of time sorting AuV3s by category (EQs, compressors, reverbs etc.)
    I also deleted lots of useful apps and redownloaded them again more than once, because I needed them.

Not anymore.

Now it’s only a few essentials on one home screen and the rest get moved to the App Library.

Time saved.
    Clutter free.
    Less distractions.
    Less decision fatigue.

• Interesting information:
    With iOS 14 the device MAC address can now be set to change per network you connect to. The MAC address is the unique ID associated with the network adapter of a device (not to be confused with the IP address). This could affect some wiFi router connections as now the router sees this as a new device. In most cases this shouldn't be a problem, but there are numerous technical ways this could screw things up. I won't go into them here. But if you're seeing odd network issues, check for this setting and/or check your wifi connections.

Excerpt from a message from my ISP

What's changing

In order to communicate with a WiFi network, a mobile device identifies itself using a unique network address called a media access control (MAC) address. A new setting released as part of the iOS 14 update to your mobile device's operating system could alter the way the MAC address behaves on your device. If the setting is enabled on your device, the MAC address of that device will change for each WiFi network you connect to.

How it may affect you

Your device automatically connects to your private home (ISP name redacted) WiFi network because the network remembers its MAC address. Since your device's MAC address may now change, your network may no longer recognize it. As a result, your device could connect to a public WiFi Hotspot within your home (“(ISP hotspot names redacted)” instead of your private home WiFi network.

• @wim said:

Your device automatically connects to your private home (ISP name redacted) WiFi network because the network remembers its MAC address. Since your device's MAC address may now change, your network may no longer recognize it. As a result, your device could connect to a public WiFi Hotspot within your home (“(ISP hotspot names redacted)” instead of your private home WiFi network.

Only loonies would provide a 'public hotspot' from their home wifi routers...
    ...I mean why pay for something that 'others' can use for free without you knowing it?!

The again if the ISP wants to provide 'everywhere wifi' they'd have to use the customers routers to extend the range...

The first thing I always do when I get a router from an ISP is to turn off its wifi and change the passwords :D
    After that I'll configure my own stuff...

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Does it mean that custom folders are gone?

No. This is a new feature tacked onto new home screen pages at the end. So you can ignore it and no problem. I suppose they may eventually let you hide icons in their normal places, relying on the "library".

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Samu said:

@wim said:

Only loonies would provide a 'public hotspot' from their home wifi routers...
    ...I mean why pay for something that 'others' can use for free without you knowing it?!

The again if the ISP wants to provide 'everywhere wifi' they'd have to use the customers routers to extend the range...

The first thing I always do when I get a router from an ISP is to turn off its wifi and change the passwords :D
    After that I'll configure my own stuff...

My provider turns it on whether you want it or not. It's not part of your home network and doesn't use your data. It can't be turned off in the router itself, you have to jump through hoops directly with the ISP for that.

And even if you do that, all your neighbors who also have the same ISP are also advertising it, which is worse than leaving it on because the second you have any connection failure, your device connects to the weak signal from your neighbor. :D

There are no alternate choices of internet providers where I live.