Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• @wim said:

For “perfection”, one further suggestion: It would be great if when there is a loop region set, pressing stop in the host returned to the beginning of the loop rather than to the beginning of the song.

I just got it but I find myself using the first bar as a count in when using host sync, so maybe a double back button, press once to go back to the loops beginning, twice to go back to the start

• Can anyone explain how time stretch is supposed to work??

I had high hopes but don’t seem to be getting along with this app at all. Dragging to crop is still fiddly (dragging clips works perfectly now though), pinching to zoom in and out will randomly send me 30 or 100 or more bars ahead on a track, often the play button becomes totally unresponsive (outside of turning green) requiring a restart... All in all the update is worse for me than the original.

• @spiteface said:
    Can anyone explain how time stretch is supposed to work??

I had high hopes but don’t seem to be getting along with this app at all. Dragging to crop is still fiddly (dragging clips works perfectly now though), pinching to zoom in and out will randomly send me 30 or 100 or more bars ahead on a track, often the play button becomes totally unresponsive (outside of turning green) requiring a restart... All in all the update is worse for me than the original.

Regarding the time stretch. I'm not sure it is intended to work with "cropped loops". The issue seems to be that cropping only "hides" portions of the track and keeps them from playing. I've even tried using track splitting as a way to crop tracks, but no matter what I try, the entire track survives essentially unedited.

It appears that trying to Time Stretch a Cropped track is futile because the time stretch algorithm appears to act on the entire track length, ignoring and user applied cropping points.

The only work around I've found, is the one I previously mentioned. Do a destructive trim in another App like AudioShare, then re-import the track. After I do that (for me) time stretch has been working properly.

This is why I've requested the developer consider adding a "TRIM" feature in my previous post.

I'm also having the pinch to zoom result in a multi bar shifting of the time-line position.

I have not experience any issues an unresponsive play button.

I like this app. It's very useful for the purpose I want to use it for. It just needs a few adjustments to reach its full potential.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

The trick to zooming is to center your fingers over where in the timeline where you want the center of the screen to be. This doesn’t work perfectly, but it does help avoid jumping to unexpected parts of the timeline.

I center my fingers and pinch out, then usually lift one of them and give a swipe to the right since it always seems to move a bit too far too out in the timeline. Now that I’m used to it, I get along with it pretty well.

No problems with unresponsive play button here, but I can’t say I’ve given it any heavy or prolonged use.

• Just grabbed it after seeing the bundle. After some trial and error, this thing rules. It’s perfect for how I like to make music by creating a lot of loops. The timeline is really nice as well and makes for the easiest clip arranger that I’ve used so far on my phone

• Amazing in ApeMatrix!

• Just updated

• Would be great to have clip envelopes for volume added.

• "Added ability to add labels to audio clips within the Audio pool"

how ?

• @dendy said:

"Added ability to add labels to audio clips within the Audio pool"

how ?

Select the audio file in audio pool then use the Label button across the top of the audio pool.

• edited October 2019

@horsetrainer said:

@spiteface said:

Regarding the time stretch. I'm not sure it is intended to work with "cropped loops". The issue seems to be that cropping only "hides" portions of the track and keeps them from playing. I've even tried using track splitting as a way to crop tracks, but no matter what I try, the entire track survives essentially unedited.

It appears that trying to Time Stretch a Cropped track is futile because the time stretch algorithm appears to act on the entire track length, ignoring and user applied cropping points.

The only work around I've found, is the one I previously mentioned. Do a destructive trim in another App like AudioShare, then re-import the track. After I do that (for me) time stretch has been working properly.

This is why I've requested the developer consider adding a "TRIM" feature in my previous post.

I'm also having the pinch to zoom result in a multi bar shifting of the time-line position.

I like this app. It's very useful for the purpose I want to use it for. It just needs a few adjustments to reach its full potential.

After you trim, add fades, apply FX, etc., you can solo your track and set the loop points to match your trimmed clip, then in the Audio Pool window hit the Mixdown button to create a new rendered or frozen version of the clip. It makes all the changes permanent, but you still have to swap out the new Mixdown clip for the old clip manually in your project timeline.

On the new Mixdown clip, timestretch will work as expected, so Mixdown before you Timestretch if you trimmed your clip.

• @dendy said:

"Added ability to add labels to audio clips within the Audio pool"

how ?

In the Audio Pool window, using the new button labeled Label.
    The other bit about toggling clip names on tracks is in the + menu.

• @CracklePot said:

@royor said:
    For the Fence Sitters (me) - Now bundled with DigiStix.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/audio-creatives-3-auv3-bundle/id1484498009

It must be missing a 3rd app or something.
    My bundle costs $15, but D-stix only costs $9.
    I already bought MTS for $10.

Ah cool.
    Now bundle costs $5.
    That is a good deal.

It’s not just you. The AppStore isn’t always showing “Complete my bundle” option for me either. I see full bundle price $15 too even though I already purchased DigiStix. It showed me a reduced complete my bundle for $7 once.. but I clicked away to view another app and when I came back the bundle went back to full price. AppStore shenanigans.

• edited October 2019

@wim said:
    Thank you @4Pockets for the improvements to the Remote button that makes it so that the hosts transport starts and stops playback without affecting timeline position. This is almost perfect now.

The only problem is you can’t arm recording in the app when this is engaged. In AUM, this means you have to arm something else to record in AUM even though you don’t need to because AUM won’t record unless something is armed. In AudioBus it’s worse because there isn’t a host record button. If there can be some way to arm recording in the app when Remote is engaged, it’ll be almost perfect.

For “perfection”, one further suggestion: It would be great if when there is a loop region set, pressing stop in the host returned to the beginning of the loop rather than to the beginning of the song.

+1000 with that. It would start to be really much more easily usable with those two features added. I thought new remote mode was perfect until I realized I wasn’t able to hit record button. @4Pockets also it’s odd that there is that sample rate issue in GarageBand because Enso AU looper does it with no problem. Perhaps it can be fixed? Also, mixdown all individual tracks in one pass and multiple files export could be super useful, as 24/32 bits recording capabilities.

• I've awarded this app as one of the most useful, but most frustrating apps on my iPad.

Useful - because it means I can cook up all sorts of my usual weirdness in AUM: combine drum apps, samplers, synths, sequencers and any FX I fancy, record them, and then muck about editing and overdubbing. CPU friendly towards my Air 2 as well.

Frustrating - because of the fiddly clip and editing controls. I can accurately zoom in/out, about 50% of the time - the other 50% it sends me off to the right, and trying to resize clips is driving me slightly mad. Just now it wasn't having it at all, so I had to quit the session, reload it and then it'd let me resize my clips.

Any other app and I'd just give up, but because of what it does it'll get daily use. A bit of polish on the editing tools though and this goes in my top 5 apps of the year.

• edited October 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    I've awarded this app as one of the most useful, but most frustrating apps on my iPad.

Useful - because it means I can cook up all sorts of my usual weirdness in AUM: combine drum apps, samplers, synths, sequencers and any FX I fancy, record them, and then muck about editing and overdubbing. CPU friendly towards my Air 2 as well.

Frustrating - because of the fiddly clip and editing controls. I can accurately zoom in/out, about 50% of the time - the other 50% it sends me off to the right, and trying to resize clips is driving me slightly mad. Just now it wasn't having it at all, so I had to quit the session, reload it and then it'd let me resize my clips.

Any other app and I'd just give up, but because of what it does it'll get daily use. A bit of polish on the editing tools though and this goes in my top 5 apps of the year.

I also have same issues with zooming on 7 Plus, and 30 % of the time I have to try multiple times because it don’t work.

• hm zoomimg works seamlessly for me.. no issues, UI for me completely ok, also drgndrop clips on iphone now 90% success :)

• @Janosax said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I've awarded this app as one of the most useful, but most frustrating apps on my iPad.

I also have same issues with zooming on 7 Plus, and 30 % of the time I have to try multiple times because it don’t work.

Yep, zooming is terrible on my Air 2, really hit and miss.

• Zooming is ok for me on Air 2, once I realized that centering my fingers over the middle of what I’m interested in before zooming is important.

• @_mwallace said:

@CracklePot said:

@royor said:

Ah cool.
    Now bundle costs $5.
    That is a good deal.

It’s not just you. The AppStore isn’t always showing “Complete my bundle” option for me either. I see full bundle price $15 too even though I already purchased DigiStix. It showed me a reduced complete my bundle for $7 once.. but I clicked away to view another app and when I came back the bundle went back to full price. AppStore shenanigans.

When you are viewing the bundle page in the Appstore, and the price is wrong, hit Open on one of the apps you already bought, and the price should correct itself.

It is the only way I could force it to refresh to the correct price, without just hitting Buy and hoping for the best.

• For the bundles... don’t forget if you bought any of the apps on sale your bundle will cost more as you’ve already saved money

• @wim said:
    Zooming is ok for me on Air 2, once I realized that centering my fingers over the middle of what I’m interested in before zooming is important.

Yeah I'm doing that but it's still random for me. Maybe my fingers are wrong.

• @MonzoPro said:

@wim said:
    Zooming is ok for me on Air 2, once I realized that centering my fingers over the middle of what I’m interested in before zooming is important.

Is it possibly related to overall load on the CPU ? If the CPU is being pushed then the UI will be less responsive and more likely to react randomly.
    Does it behave the same if you are zooming with the transport stopped ?

• @CracklePot said:

@_mwallace said:

@CracklePot said:

@royor said:

Ah cool.
    Now bundle costs $5.
    That is a good deal.

When you are viewing the bundle page in the Appstore, and the price is wrong, hit Open on one of the apps you already bought, and the price should correct itself.

It is the only way I could force it to refresh to the correct price, without just hitting Buy and hoping for the best.

That worked!! Thanks! Showing $7 again after I hit open on DigiStix.

• edited October 2019

@reasOne said:
    For the bundles... don’t forget if you bought any of the apps on sale your bundle will cost more as you’ve already saved money

I’m aware of that. In this case though it wasn’t displaying the usual “Complete my bundle” prompt. After following @CracklePot advise the bundle price went from $15 to $7 since I already bought DigiStix.

• @CracklePot said:

@horsetrainer said:

@spiteface said:

After you trim, add fades, apply FX, etc., you can solo your track and set the loop points to match your trimmed clip, then in the Audio Pool window hit the Mixdown button to create a new rendered or frozen version of the clip. It makes all the changes permanent, but you still have to swap out the new Mixdown clip for the old clip manually in your project timeline.

On the new Mixdown clip, timestretch will work as expected, so Mixdown before you Timestretch if you trimmed your clip.

Thanks, I'll give the mixdown workaround a try.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

Is it possibly related to overall load on the CPU ? If the CPU is being pushed then the UI will be less responsive and more likely to react randomly.
    Does it behave the same if you are zooming with the transport stopped ?

Yeah, even when it’s stopped, and just working with a couple of apps.

Very random - sometimes it zooms ok, other times it shoots off to the right.

Weird, as I don’t have this issue in say, Auria, or other similar apps.

Maybe I just need more practice..

• edited October 2019

Here’s what I am trying to do without success:
    In ApeMatrix, record a punch in punch out loop to MultiTrack = good.
    Loop that recorded audio file in MultiTrack while recording a new ApeMatrix loop to a second track in MultiTrack = no success.

There is a loop icon in MultiTrack. I just haven’t figured how it works.

• edited October 2019

@gusgranite said:
    Loop that recorded audio file in MultiTrack while recording a new ApeMatrix loop to a second track in MultiTrack = no success.

In host mode, loop doesn’t work in the AU. Any DAW like NS2 or GB will make MTR loop, but not hosts like AB/AUM/APEM. You have to disable host mode to use AU loop, but then... there is no sync and you can’t record loops properly from the host. This is something which could be improved from @4Pockets for more usable workflow. This is where users beta testing could be useful.

• @Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:

In host mode, loop doesn’t work in the AU. Any DAW like NS2 or GB will make MTR loop, but not hosts like AB/AUM/APEM. You have to disable host mode to use AU loop, but then... there is no sync and you can’t record loops properly from the host. This is something which could be improved from @4Pockets for more usable workflow. This is where users beta testing could be useful.

Ah, I thought that got fixed. Thank you.