Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• Having a lot of fun with this now I’ve got the hang of the UI. Absolute bargain considering what it does.

• @Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:
    Here’s what I am trying to do without success:
    In ApeMatrix, record a punch in punch out loop to MultiTrack = good.
    Loop that recorded audio file in MultiTrack while recording a new ApeMatrix loop to a second track in MultiTrack = no success.

There is a loop icon in MultiTrack. I just haven’t figured how it works.

In host mode, loop doesn’t work in the AU. Any DAW like NS2 or GB will make MTR loop, but not hosts like AB/AUM/APEM. You have to disable host mode to use AU loop, but then... there is no sync and you can’t record loops properly from the host. This is something which could be improved from @4Pockets for more usable workflow. This is where users beta testing could be useful.

If I understood what you said correctly, then the latest update addresses this. Disengage Hoste Sync, engage Remote, and set the project tempo to match the host. Loop points work, app starts and stops with the host.

There are a couple of things I’d still like to see. Right now you can’t arm recording from within the app in this configuration. Relying on the host record button is problematic in AUM and impossible in AB. Also, I would like to see the option to synchronize the tempo automatically to the host as well in this configuration.

• If I understood what you said correctly, then the latest update addresses this. Disengage Hoste Sync, engage Remote, and set the project tempo to match the host. Loop points work, app starts and stops with the host.

There are a couple of things I’d still like to see. Right now you can’t arm recording from within the app in this configuration. Relying on the host record button is problematic in AUM and impossible in AB. Also, I would like to see the option to synchronize the tempo automatically to the host as well in this configuration.

Big +1

• edited October 2019

@RJB said:

If I understood what you said correctly, then the latest update addresses this. Disengage Hoste Sync, engage Remote, and set the project tempo to match the host. Loop points work, app starts and stops with the host.

Big +1

@wim Yes all of this should be added, remote mode is nice but without recording capabilities it’s not usable.

• Next update in just gets better.

• So cool! Picked up this in a bundle this weekend. 👍

@Jumpercollins said:
    Next update in just gets better.

• edited October 2019

I’m curious why this can’t show up in the host/output mode of AUM/Audiobus? Is it impossible to have a DAW written in AU?
    If so, we might be in trouble when IAA finally goes away

• @NoiseHorse said:
    I’m curious why this can’t show up in the host/output mode of AUM/Audiobus? Is it impossible to have a DAW written in AU?
    If so, we might be in trouble when IAA finally goes away

I’m still curious why this is important? It can be the last FX in a chain, which is effectively the same thing. I’m not saying you don’t have a reason, I’m probably not seeing it.

I’ve been using the free Mixer Send Receive plugin from ApeMatrix to work more effectively with MultiTrack in AB. Rather than load MultiTrack on each channel, I start by adding a MSR instance in the input with MT in the FX slot. Then I add other MSR instances on the channels I want to record. When I’m ready to record, I just set the channels to the same “bus” in MSR. Works great.

• Putting it in a mix bus is the equivalent of putting it at the end of a chain anyway.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Putting it in a mix bus is the equivalent of putting it at the end of a chain anyway.

Except there are no mix busses in Audiobus. Yet.
    Mixer Send Receive is handy for creating them though.

• @wim said:

@Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:
    Loop that recorded audio file in MultiTrack while recording a new ApeMatrix loop to a second track in MultiTrack = no success.

In host mode, loop doesn’t work in the AU. Any DAW like NS2 or GB will make MTR loop, but not hosts like AB/AUM/APEM. You have to disable host mode to use AU loop, but then... there is no sync and you can’t record loops properly from the host. This is something which could be improved from @4Pockets for more usable workflow. This is where users beta testing could be useful.

I don't know if this is new info or not, but......

In AUM, I am able to record in MultiTrack Recorder (MTR) with host sync enabled.
    I don't know if the latest update added this today, as this is the first time I ever tried to do this.

Description of what I did....

*I loaded EG Pulse (EGP) in the top slot in AUM, created a drum rhythm, then set EGP to Host Sync.

*I opened MTR in the effects slot under EGP, and set MTR to Host Sync.

*I then drew in a 4 bar selection in the MTR timeline, and turned on both "punch in" and "punch out".

*With "track 1" armed in MTR, I then tapped record in the MTR transport, and it began flashing red.

*I then tapped "play" in the AUM transport, and MTR recorded a 4 bar loop from EGP.

Note that in MTR. I was also able to turn on recording with Host Sync on, by simply making any kind of selection at the beginning of the MTR timeline. Then only engaging "Punch In".

With Punch In engaged this way, tapping "Play" in AUM will turn on MTR, and it will record whatever in bused into it, until stopped using the AUM transport control.

• edited October 2019

@horsetrainer said:

@wim said:

@Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:

In AUM, I am able to record in MultiTrack Recorder (MTR) with host sync enabled.
    I don't know if the latest update added this today, as this is the first time I ever tried to do this.

*I loaded EG Pulse (EGP) in the top slot in AUM, created a drum rhythm, then set EGP to Host Sync.

*I then drew in a 4 bar selection in the MTR timeline, and turned on both "punch in" and "punch out".

*With "track 1" armed in MTR, I then tapped record in the MTR transport, and it began flashing red.

*I then tapped "play" in the AUM transport, and MTR recorded a 4 bar loop from EGP.

Note that in MTR. I was also able to turn on recording with Host Sync on, by simply making any kind of selection at the beginning of the MTR timeline. Then only engaging "Punch In".

With Punch In engaged this way, tapping "Play" in AUM will turn on MTR, and it will record whatever in bused into it, until stopped using the AUM transport control.

Is that the latest update?

My only gripe with MTR, is when using Host Sync it starts recording at the beginning of the song, rather than where I’ve placed the cursor. I tried punching in/out earlier today but it didn’t work for me. If the update fixes this I’ll be a happy donkey.

Update: answered my own question, no it doesn’t, Host Sync still pushes the cursor to the start of the song. Bummer.

• @MonzoPro said:

@horsetrainer said:

@wim said:

@Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:

My only gripe with MTR, is when using Host Sync it starts recording at the beginning of the song, rather than where I’ve placed the cursor. I tried punching in/out earlier today but it didn’t work for me. If the update fixes this I’ll be a happy donkey.

Update: answered my own question, no it doesn’t, Host Sync still pushes the cursor to the start of the song. Bummer.

I think you want Host Sync off, Remote on, and set the tempo of the project to match the host tempo to do what you want.

• @horsetrainer said:

@wim said:

@Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:

That is pretty much what I have been doing the whole time.
    Host sync behavior always worked well for me.

The Remote behavior was a little weird when it was first introduced. The update addressed some of these things. @wim has made a lot of good suggestions for Remote behavior, but I think not all of them have made it into the app (yet).

• @MonzoPro said:

@horsetrainer said:

@wim said:

@Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:

You have to cue up the cursor in the Host with Host Sync enabled.
    In AUM you can swipe/drag the time display to cue the AUM timeline and then MTR will follow that cue spot.

When using punch in/out with Host Sync on, select the region to record in MTR, and arm the main Record button in MTR. Hit play in the host, and recording only happens in the selected region. You have to arm the Record button manually first before punch in/out will work. I overlooked that a few times, confusing myself in the process.

• The latest update didn’t include the ability to arm recording in the app with Remote on and Host Sync Off. If it would just do this then it would be possible to record where you want and when you want more easily. As it is now, you have to press the AUM record button to arm recording. But you can’t do that unless one of AUM’s tracks is set to record ... an unneeded recording cluttering up the file system and taking space. In Audiobus you can’t record at all in this manner.

But ... @4pockets is being super great about responding to feature requests. One nice one in the latest update is with Remote enabled, if you have a loop defined and hit Stop in the host, it returns to the beginning of the loop rather than to the beginning of the song.

• edited October 2019

@4Pockets For now I see three modes to use in various situations with dawless hosts:

• remote mode to use with MTR loop mode in sync with host tempo/transport, preparing new loops in the host (playing them along MTR already recorded loops)
    • host mode to record loops, using punch in/out if needed (AUM can send timeline position, but not AB so it’s needed to record at beginning of timeline with this host)
    • No sync mode, using MTR transport only for arranging recorded parts

What I do is using all of those modes depending on the situation.

Of course, best mode seems to be remote mode, but recording ability is definitely needed to improve workflow.

Also, it could be cool to being able to disable remote mode pop-up, which is annoying after a while.

We can label recordings now, this really needs to be added to export files names too. Renaming everything in AudioShare is time consuming.

Also, batch export is a very desired feature, just like Blocswave and GroupTheLoop (which also has easier to read naming convention)

On a very positive side, I find this AU very light on ressources, seems better than BW and GTL when making stems with AUM or AB.

And even if it’s tiny on iPhone 7 Plus, it’s in landscape mode and I prefer that than alternate portrait and landscape all the time between AB and BW/GTL.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

It would also be great to get the Record and Start/Stop buttons exposed as AU parameters. I wonder why developers so often neglect or decline to do this?

• edited October 2019

Also, I’m a bit finicky about timing.

Noir recorded in MTR shows some little drifting (it’s slightly variable offset!!):

Same Noir track recorded in GB via Audiobus on track 1, and MTR Noir export seen above on track 2:

• @wim said:
    It would also be great to get the Record and Start/Stop buttons exposed as AU parameters. I wonder why developers so often neglect or decline to do this?

+1 on all of that

• edited October 2019

@Janosax said:
    @4Pockets For now I see three modes to use in various situations with dawless hosts:

• remote mode to use with MTR loop mode in sync with host tempo/transport, preparing new loops in the host (playing them along MTR already recorded loops)
    • host mode to record loops, using punch in/out if needed (AUM can send timeline position, but not AB so it’s needed to record at beginning of timeline with this host)
    • No sync mode, using MTR transport only for arranging recorded parts

What I do is using all of those modes depending on the situation.

Of course, best mode seems to be remote mode, but recording ability is definitely needed to improve workflow.

Also, it could be cool to being able to disable remote mode pop-up, which is annoying after a while.

We can label recordings now, this really needs to be added to export files names too. Renaming everything in AudioShare is time consuming.

Also, batch export is a very desired feature, just like Blocswave and GroupTheLoop (which also has easier to read naming convention)

On a very positive side, I find this AU very light on ressources, seems better than BW and GTL when making stems with AUM or AB.

And even if it’s tiny on iPhone 7 Plus, it’s in landscape mode and I prefer that than alternate portrait and landscape all the time between AB and BW/GTL.

+1 for the batch export. I'd also like to be able to batch delete sometimes, rather than delete several unwanted files from the pool one file at a time.

My primary use for MTR is using it as a "capture tool" in AUM.
    It serves that purpose well as it is now, but I have to re-edit some what I capture in other Apps to perfect it.

I'd like to have an in-App ability to Preserve any crops and fades I make within MTR to a new file. So I can time stretch it, and then export it.

When I use MixDown as a work around. I end up with a Stereo file twice the file size as the Mono file I started with. But that is the best work around I have for using Time Stretching and preserving in-App edits.

I think just adding the ability to MixDown in mono would be enough.

Edit: Also. Make it so the MixDown file does not include the metronome clicks as part of the audio file.

• edited October 2019

@CracklePot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@horsetrainer said:

@wim said:

@Janosax said:

@gusgranite said:

You have to cue up the cursor in the Host with Host Sync enabled.
    In AUM you can swipe/drag the time display to cue the AUM timeline and then MTR will follow that cue spot.

Ah, that’s the bit I missed - I didn’t realise I could drag the AUM timeline! Cheers.

@wim said:
    The latest update didn’t include the ability to arm recording in the app with Remote on and Host Sync Off. If it would just do this then it would be possible to record where you want and when you want more easily. As it is now, you have to press the AUM record button to arm recording. But you can’t do that unless one of AUM’s tracks is set to record ... an unneeded recording cluttering up the file system and taking space. In Audiobus you can’t record at all in this manner.

Yeah bit silly that, Remote doesn’t really help what I’m trying to do. However moving the AUM timeline helps me to cue up the start of the recording. Problem with that though, is it doesn’t start at the beginning of the AUM sequence, since the two timelines won’t always line up.

What I’m trying to do is basic DAW stuff:

1. I place the curser in the position on the MTR timeline, from where I want it to start to record.

2. I hit play in AUM, which triggers the start of the MIDI sequence I want to record from.

Really basic stuff, but none of the combinations of Remote, Host Sync, punch in/out are doing the job, unless I’m doing it wrong!

• Tempo does not show correct

• @MonzoPro said:
    What I’m trying to do is basic DAW stuff:

1. I place the curser in the position on the MTR timeline, from where I want it to start to record.

2. I hit play in AUM, which triggers the start of the MIDI sequence I want to record from.

Really basic stuff, but none of the combinations of Remote, Host Sync, punch in/out are doing the job, unless I’m doing it wrong!

I’m pretty sure that with the exception of having to uselessly arm something for recording in AUM, Remote alone would do what you’ve said. We’re close!

• heihei
    edited October 2019

Tempo does not show correct. And would be nice to see if the stereo button is enabled.

• @hei said:
    Tempo does not show correct. And would be nice to see if the stereo button is enabled.

What do you mean about Tempo?
    You have to match it to the host tempo manually.

Is there a timing issue or something else, maybe?

• heihei
    edited October 2019

@CracklePot said:

@hei said:

If I tab 95 it shows 94.9

• And there are some buttons like the stereo button , where I can t see if they are enabled or not.

• @hei said:
    And there are some buttons like the stereo button , where I can t see if they are enabled or not.

When on, the type turns light blue/ cyan. It can be hard to see.

• @hei said:

@CracklePot said:

@hei said:

If I tab 95 it shows 94.9

Huh?
    Do you mean tap?

You can double tap the tempo knob and set an exact BPM.
    Does that help you?