Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• @Janosax said:

@tja said:

@echoopera said:

@tja said:
    I did not buy this so far, also because there seem to be some things that need to be fixed first.

But asking anyway:

Why would you need an AU Multitrack App compared to something like MultiTrack DAW or simply Cubasis or Auria Pro?

Normally, you just want to record tracks "somewhere" and then work on those tracks.
    Perfectly possible with those non-AU Apps, or?

I don't fully understand what's better with an AU App.

Dare to explain?
    Please

I think this app is really for people who prefer using AUM/AudioBus for their workflow. The additional short term benefit is for users of NanoStudio 2, which i walk thru above.

If you’re a Cubasis, GarageBand, Auria or BM3 user, it’s probably not for you. My workflow is the one i sighted above, so its a great tool for my needs.

I also mostly use AudioBus / AUM!
    Beside recording in AUM/AudioShare or sometimes in Loopy, I also record in MultiTrack DAW (or even Cubasis) from there:

I am just curious for what you would need an AU or what positive effects this may have.

I just can't imaging and it feels like this is the main argument towards this App.

But I read, that it can be used also as standalone.

In this case, what can it do better than AudioShare, MultiTrack DAW, Loopy, Cubasis or Auria Pro for recording audio?

I also record my stems from AB/AUM etc directly to GarageBand, Loopy GroupTheLoop... Fullscreen and better features IMO. I don’t see real benefit with this AU to be honest, except perhaps AU saving.

• @tja said:
    I did not buy this so far, also because there seem to be some things that need to be fixed first.

But asking anyway:

Why would you need an AU Multitrack App compared to something like MultiTrack DAW or simply Cubasis or Auria Pro?

Normally, you just want to record tracks "somewhere" and then work on those tracks.

Dare to explain?
    Please

For me ( Hopefully ) Yet not sure as I havent made much music. Use this app for recorded scenes. Multitrack Daw to extend a track. > @tja said:

@echoopera said:

@tja said:

But asking anyway:

Dare to explain?
    Please

I think this app is really for people who prefer using AUM/AudioBus for their workflow. The additional short term benefit is for users of NanoStudio 2, which i walk thru above.

If you’re a Cubasis, GarageBand, Auria or BM3 user, it’s probably not for you. My workflow is the one i sighted above, so its a great tool for my needs.

Beside recording in AUM/AudioShare or sometimes in Loopy, I also record in MultiTrack DAW (or even Cubasis) from there:

I am just curious for what you would need an AU or what positive effects this may have.

I just can't imaging and it feels like this is the main argument towards this App.

In this case, what can it do better than AudioShare, MultiTrack DAW, Loopy, Cubasis or Auria Pro for recording audio?

Does multitrack Daw have abelton link? Lets say I wanted to do recorded scenes from a hardware drum machine but because scenes are arranged across AU format, a different effect will be on a different scene. I could also use multitrack DAW to extend tracks made in aum. So Aum sessions become scenes. Can anyone say if this sounds reasonable and I will by Pauls app.

• Can you name songs in this? Seems to give them a number with no option to name them when I try.

Works ok - like the fact I can select where to record from on the timeline without punching it first, but zooming is very clunky.

Does the job, but there’s a few rough edges that could do with sanding down a bit.

• @tja
    I don’t see a clear advantage in recording audio.
    It is good at it, but besides being AU, I don’t see anything new or different from other recording methods.
    It isn’t particularly suited towards loop recording, at least not yet.

But as far as arranging multiple audio tracks in AUM, as an AU, this app is like no other.
    8 tracks per instance, decent clip editing, and great Files/split screen workflow.

• @tja said:

@echoopera said:

@tja said:

But asking anyway:

Dare to explain?
    Please

....What I want to use this App for.....

I enjoy experimenting with sounds by layering multiple synths and effects in AUM.
    I also Jam in AUM, and make up Melodies and bass lines.

For me this app is a "scetch pad". I can add it as an effect in the final mix-bus before the headphones.

When inspiration strikes, I can use this App to "QUICKLY" put a sound on a track for later use as a sample, to use in EG Pulse, or DIgisix, or some other App.

-OR- I can use it to "QUICKLY" record a new melody or base line that I just thought of... BECAUSE I made that once in a lifetime custom-sound by programing several layers of synths, w/custom programed effects, all in AUM.

For me the "utility" of this App.. Will "hopefully" be the ease which I will be able save (and edit) Loops, Samples, and Track segments, while making full use of the Synth-App and effect layering capabilities of AUM. While having fun and not getting sidetracked by some other multi-step method of saving those sound elements, by using more distracting methods.

When I get in the "Creative Zone", getting distracted by to many ancillary technical steps can ruin the creative moment.

• @NoiseHorse said:

@wim said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    There’s really only one feature I will request (you guys have been taking care of all my others), I’d like the option to be able to use this in the Output slot of AUM & Audiobus instead of the Effect slot only.

I'm curious why this makes a difference to you in Audiobus?

I don’t yet have the app so I may be speculating in ignorance. But I typically like to crank up an input app in AB, then add effects in the middle slot, then send it to the output app for recording. Same for vocals or guitar. I want 4 Pockets to be my destination for all my wonderful 4 Pockets effects.

Ahh. Well, you don't have to put it in the output slot for that. Just have it as the last effect in the lane. This is actually better IMO since you can move the order around and record only the FX that you want to "freeze" while keeping your options open for the ones you want to be able to change.

• @tja said:

Mainly just for the flexibility of where and how you use it. State saving too. And that IAA support is depreciated.

• AudioShare: Immediate playback without having to load into something else. More flexibility for where in the signal chain to put it.
    • MultiTrack DAW: follows timeline! MTD would be perfect if it did this.
    • Loopy: Timeline arrangement. Loopy just ... loops.
    • Cubasis: None inside Cubasis. More flexibility outside it.
    • Auria: Same.

To me, it helps as a middle ground between "jamming" and "DAW" workflow. This is something I have wanted to use MTD for, but haven't been able to because of its lack of certain key sync abilities.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

Mainly just for the flexibility of where and how you use it. State saving too. And that IAA support is depreciated.

• AudioShare: Immediate playback without having to load into something else. More flexibility for where in the signal chain to put it.
    • MultiTrack DAW: follows timeline! MTD would be perfect if it did this.
    • Loopy: Timeline arrangement. Loopy just ... loops.
    • Cubasis: None inside Cubasis. More flexibility outside it.
    • Auria: Same.

To me, it helps as a middle ground between "jamming" and "DAW" workflow. This is something I have wanted to use MTD for, but haven't been able to because of its lack of certain key sync abilities.

MTD is not multi track recorder right? A separate app?

• @reasOne said:

MTD = MultiTrack DAW by Harmonic Dog

It's a very good multi track recorder. One of the oldest and best audio recording apps on iOS. Unfortunately, it lacks some of the sync options that would make it more useful. Still, definitely worth having IMO.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:

It's a very good multi track recorder. One of the oldest and best audio recording apps on iOS. Unfortunately, it lacks some of the sync options that would make it more useful. Still, definitely worth having IMO.

Ahhh ya I’ve heard some good things about it! I have only been on iOS about 1.5 years so jumped right into other stuff.
    Do you think this new 4 pockets au helps a lot with this jam / modular workflow and syncs pretty good?

• @Korakios said:

@auxmux said:
    To what @Janosax mentioned, I use a lot of effects and the rendered file is noticeably lower quality. I was using it to record my master track rather than individual AUs.

If you could upload 2 takes ,it would be interesting to hear the results.
    I suppose that the effects used are from the host ,so you still use the host’s bit depth .

+1 I'd like to hear 2 takes as well and what someone did to record differently (or the same, for apples to apples). My understanding is that you would theoretically start recording at a lower dB level to give you more headroom...

• @reasOne said:

@wim said:

@reasOne said:

Ahhh ya I’ve heard some good things about it! I have only been on iOS about 1.5 years so jumped right into other stuff.
    Do you think this new 4 pockets au helps a lot with this jam / modular workflow and syncs pretty good?

Yes. B)

• 24 bit recording..... PLEASE :)

• Fac Bandit. TB Barricade. 4pockets Multitrack recorder.

£26.

Thanks.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:

@wim said:

@reasOne said:

Yes. B)

Done! Just grabbed it! Made a few loops and ya... this is the missing link!

• @reasOne said:

@wim said:

@reasOne said:

@wim said:

@reasOne said:

Yes. B)

Done! Just grabbed it! Made a few loops and ya... this is the missing link!

Yep....it serves its purpose very well. I love that after I capture the stems, I can easily export them, or just lay them out directly in MTA for further use....refine and build up the track...all the benefits of traditional Linear DAW in a little low profile and focused recording utility.

• Right away I’m digging this thing, it’s really good to have this right inside the AUM session!
    My first thought / suggestion is that the app is upside down. The main feature of this app is obviously the recording, yet it is at the bottom of the app so you Have to go full screen to access it... however for the smaller screen on an iPad it would serve well to be able to have this set into half screen mode but have access to the recording time line, only way to do that is to flip it to the top and put all mixer/ sync / etc parameters at the bottom. To me this would make everything move faster . @4Pockets what do you think!?

• edited October 2019

@reasOne said:
    Right away I’m digging this thing, it’s really good to have this right inside the AUM session!
    My first thought / suggestion is that the app is upside down. The main feature of this app is obviously the recording, yet it is at the bottom of the app so you Have to go full screen to access it... however for the smaller screen on an iPad it would serve well to be able to have this set into half screen mode but have access to the recording time line, only way to do that is to flip it to the top and put all mixer/ sync / etc parameters at the bottom. To me this would make everything move faster . @4Pockets what do you think!?

Ok forget all this haha I see you can scroll it up to the top!! My bad carry on

That’s what I get for questioning the genius behind this app. Hahaha

• Anyone render an NS2 project that included Multitrack audio?

• edited October 2019

@Littlewoodg said:
    Anyone render an NS2 project that included Multitrack audio?

Yep. Works great

Here’s a screenshot of the sound wave

The mix down of my layered 4 bar loop sounds great.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@echoopera said:

How can you say that when it's only 16bit?? >:)

• edited October 2019

Dunno. Guess I’m a simpleton. My last two albums i released were all made with 16bit sound files...👊🏼™️

Here's a little experiment using the 6 Channels of stacked Aparillo loops alongside some LaunchPad sound textures.

I think I just found a new fun workflow for myself:

16bit and all :wink:

• @echoopera said:
    Dunno. Guess I’m a simpleton. My last two albums i released were all made with 16bit sound files...👊🏼™️

Here's a little experiment using the 6 Channels of stacked Aparillo loops alongside some LaunchPad sound textures.

Nice :)

Me too, I’m getting the hang of the scrolling, moving clips and whatnot so can see this will get a lot of use from me. I do all my iPad stuff in AUM anyway, so being able to edit and overdub in it as well is a real workflow boost. I like the fact I can open the song in standalone after as well, for less cluttered tweaking.

• @echoopera said:

This was awesome. Seriously.

• edited October 2019

@echoopera said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Anyone render an NS2 project that included Multitrack audio?

Yep. Works great

Here’s a screenshot of the sound wave

Thanks for this (and the demo video upstream)

I’m enjoying MT in NS2, dropping a clip or 2 (or 5) into a project. But haven’t tried the render of a full project including audio inside MT

• edited October 2019

And here is the same track brought into Reslice, performed and recorded live in there:

Video of remix:

And a time stretched and pitch shifted version:

• @4Pockets

Feature request.

Can you add an item to the "[ + ]" menu called "TRIM".
    Make it so after cropping a track.... using "TRIM" would trim the total length of the track to the cropped length.
    (It should save the untrimmed original in the pool with the trimmed track)

Then I think the time stretch feature would work as expected on cropped tracks for making "perfectly looped samples".

I discovered that if I make a loop in MultiTrack Rec... one that that is in need of adjusting...
    Export it into AudioShare.....
    Trim it using tools in AudioShare....
    Then re-imported it back into MultiTrack Rec....
    The Time Stretch feature will then work perfectly for adjusting the loop to tempo.

I think having the in-App ability to trim a loop would be a great feature. :)

Thank you for all your nice Apps. I now own three.

• Thank you @4Pockets for the improvements to the Remote button that makes it so that the hosts transport starts and stops playback without affecting timeline position. This is almost perfect now.

The only problem is you can’t arm recording in the app when this is engaged. In AUM, this means you have to arm something else to record in AUM even though you don’t need to because AUM won’t record unless something is armed. In AudioBus it’s worse because there isn’t a host record button. If there can be some way to arm recording in the app when Remote is engaged, it’ll be almost perfect.

For “perfection”, one further suggestion: It would be great if when there is a loop region set, pressing stop in the host returned to the beginning of the loop rather than to the beginning of the song.

• @echoopera said:

Yeah. Good.