Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepBud AUv3 MIDI Sequencer - Available

Comments

• edited May 2019

@Samu

Yes, double-tap on the 'step number' and remove the note from the step.

Thanks, that's the ticket.. I keep forgetting you can double tap the step number.

• edited May 2019

Got some good news, everyone.

@reasOne, added a "sequencer enabled/disabled" toggle to the settings bar.
    This will be "disabled" by default if you load another instance of StepBud.

Also, added a new "MIDI Note Input Toggle" to the MIDI settings screen. Where you can enable/disable the MIDI note input feature for changing the root key. This will be useful, if you want to receive only CC messages from another StepBud instance and ignore its note messages for preventing the changing root key on the fly.

Both "MIDI Input Toggle" and "Sequencer Toggle" properties are also available as audio unit parameters as well.
    This v1.3.2 update will be available soon :smile:

• It's really amazing how fast you reply on questions and requests.

Maybe @dendy can introduce you to Matt, for programming the Audio Tracks in NS2. In that case we don't have to wait for 1 year :)

• Maybe @dendy can introduce you to Matt, for programming the Audio Tracks in NS2. In that case we don't have to wait for 1 year :)

That wasn't nice ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

Maybe @dendy can introduce you to Matt, for programming the Audio Tracks in NS2. In that case we don't have to wait for 1 year :)

That wasn't nice ;)

I know :)

• Snapshots are huge! Thanks @cem_olcay. Song mode next, please. 😁

Or something like the options in Rozeta sequencers to repeat snapshots x times and follow actions (also like Ableton); like play next snapshot, random snapshot, specific snapshot or first snapshot.

• @nondes said:
    Snapshots are huge! Thanks @cem_olcay. Song mode next, please. 😁

Or something like the options in Rozeta sequencers to repeat snapshots x times and follow actions (also like Ableton); like play next snapshot, random snapshot, specific snapshot or first snapshot.

Thanks! About snapshot order, I think you can technically do that by setting up another StepBud instance as a snapshot trigger. It already has functionality like repeating etc.

• Fair point of another instance, I'll need to try it.

• This thing just keeps getting better and making me come up with sequences I never woulda thought of! Snaps and sequencer enable!! Great week for step bud! Can't wait until after work to test it out! ✋ @cem_olcay good stuff man

• With all the new functionality this this is getting epic. Now we need a epic video to show all its uses ie CC etc.

• edited May 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    With all the new functionality this this is getting epic.

Would you say it's a "Gamechanger(c)"?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :*

• I'm going to try creating a snapshot player for this in Mozaik

• Has anyone tried to "play" StepBud with only one step before?

• @cem_olcay said:
    Has anyone tried to "play" StepBud with only one step before?

Very cool, any way to do that with an LFO?

• Yeah, leave just one step and hook up an LFO to the master from audio unit parameters.
    The catch is master fader accept values between [0 - 1].
    I'm recommending apeMatrix LFO.

• @cem_olcay said:
    Yeah, leave just one step and hook up an LFO to the master from audio unit parameters.
    The catch is master fader accept values between [0 - 1].
    I'm recommending apeMatrix LFO.

Wow! I just bought this yesterday and experimenting. Can you explain or show this LFO thing you mention a little more in detail?!
    BTW a great piece of app!

• edited May 2019

Hmm...
    The more I think about it StepBud already has all the 'ingredients' to make it a full piano-roll/grid-editor...

Think about it add a pan&zoom tool per step and tap to add/remove the notes per step!

The division per step can already changed so it would look like a perfect 'checker board'.
    That is if the black & whites would be kept as an indication on the left side and just on/off grid was added...

If this is not 'out of scope' I don't know what is right? @cem_olcay :D

• @cem_olcay said:
    Has anyone tried to "play" StepBud with only one step before?

The playing is similar to playing the transpose grid in Quantum, which has grid cells for +1, +2, ..., +12, ..., +24. If possible, could be nice to be able to more accurately play such octave shifts and other jumps, but I'm not sure if that would fit in with the UI here.

• The update is released!

• The updates keep coming! This + Octachron for drums = Elektron style sequencing on iPads FTW.

Ditto to disabling note output globally, so we can go nuts with CC sequencing. I've created a preset for now, but global setting would be very helpful.

• StepBud is the Bomb! I still can’t get it to work right in Nanostudio 2 though. Hopefully that will get sorted, cuz I’m dying to use them together 😀

• I was playing with StepBud and its new snapshots feature during the weekend and noticed that the scale, if changed, is applied to all the snapshots. It would be nice to be able to change scale individually on a snapshot. Example: I make a sequence in C major, create a snapshot, I change the scale to C minor, create a snapshot, and now I can switch between the same sequence in C major and minor by switching snapshot.

• @silent1 said:
    I was playing with StepBud and its new snapshots feature during the weekend and noticed that the scale, if changed, is applied to all the snapshots. It would be nice to be able to change scale individually on a snapshot. Example: I make a sequence in C major, create a snapshot, I change the scale to C minor, create a snapshot, and now I can switch between the same sequence in C major and minor by switching snapshot.

I noticed this too. It also affects notes I manually change by double tapping the step number which I would have thought should override the scale. Every time I go back to the snapshot with the 'overridden' note it snaps back to a scale.

With this in mind, I'd like the default scale to be chromatic so I can put any note I like in without it moving without my say so! ;-)

• @silent1 @klownshed I don't understand, you can store in a snapshot it's current key and scale.
    I uploaded a quick video. 1st snapshot is C Major, 2nd is D# Pentatonic Blues.
    If you go back and forth between them, you can see that the snapshot is respecting the "snapped" key and scale.
    It's also same for the steps with custom notes as well. Isn't it not working like that on your devices? If so, can you make a quick video please?

• @cem_olcay

I think I was just misunderstanding how scales are supposed to work; When I double tapped a step indicator and then chose a note I expected it to be respected regardless of the scale set.

But stepbud snaps any note you choose that’s out of scale to C2 (instead of the next closest note) which isn’t what I expected. It felt like a bug. I didn’t expect the scale to be rigid when I’m entering notes manually.

I know that’s low the sliders work and that’s cool but i thought I should be able override it with the keyboard screen and choose whatever notes I wanted. It would be cool to highlight the keys in the selected scale in keyboard mode but still allow ‘wtong’ Notes to be entered or at least not let me input the wrong notes if they’re going to change after I hit ‘done’.

If that’s How you want it to be can I suggest that stepbud defaults to chromatic so you don’t have to worry about scales unless you want to?

I don’t think the current behaviour of letting you input a note out of scale then changing it afterwards is very intuitive.

And secondly I think even though you labelled saved scenes as snapshots I was kind of expecting them to work like patterns. Which clearly they’re not meant to but until thinking about it I expected any changes I made to be saved along with the snapshot as that’s how it works in other apps.

Mea culpa but it caught me out. :-)

• Found a really nice StepBud tutorial on youtube. They even used multiple StepBud instances for sequencing drums, nice!

• edited June 2019

Love the app. So minimal and engaging.

The swing... can we not have it affect the length (tempo) of the pattern? Right now the step is sliding positive in time, but still maintaining the step’s length.

Classic swing will shrink the step duration as the step start moves later.

• Hi @cem_olcay loving StepBud and use it daily but I’m seeing some odd behaviour at times.

First problem is when reopening StepBud in AUM all the step sliders are missing. Close and reopen. Sliders still missing.

Second one is I have set up several notes C1, D1 etc to feed into Rozeta Rhythm in order to trigger pattern changes and I am getting only note offs. Found this out by connecting MIDI Monitor AUv3.

Both of these defects have showed up a couple of times. I was making a small project to show the second defect with a couple of instances of StepBud and the first defect appeared as well.

Both of these are happening on an IPad 9.7 2018 version in AUM.

• edited June 2019

I have been trying StepBud with AUM, Auria Pro and NS2.

I've been playing around in AP at the moment to see what it can do, especially with respect to it's MIDI routing).

So for my test I wanted to have an instance of Lorentz with long notes being modulated by SB. I MIDI learned a parameter in Lorentz to listen for CC15 and made a preset in SB that sent CC15s but no notes (I turned off the notes in each step).

In AP I tried various ways.

The channel strip method is no good as any AU MIDI processor (including even midiSPY) seems to mute any notes from the track from playing. Which isn't exactly ideal. So you can't use SB to just send CC15 messages as the track is silent. If I swap SB for a rozeta LFO in the channel strip the sound is back.

I then tried another method by setting up a new track with SB as the main instrument, and routed the midi to another track with a lorentz. This was slightly better but the Lorentz track only received CC15 values of 0 and not the values selected in SB. So that doesn't work either.

I swapped SB for a rozeta LFO set to output CC15 and this worked OK. :-/

I then tried the exact same thing in AUM and that worked perfectly with one instance of SB sending notes and another modulating CC15 at a different rate. Exactly as expected.

The behaviour of SB in both NS2 and AP is weird. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the way SB is being declared as an audio unit MIDI processor, because Rozeta works as it should in the channel strip of AP (i.e. If I put a midiSPY in the channel strip, there's no sound. If i out SB in a channel strip, no sound (unless it's sending its own notes). If I put Rozeta LFO in a channel strip it works and Rozeta is declaring itself as a 'normal' AU and not a MIDI processor according to AUM.

So then I tried NS2 + SB. Which is just basically completely broken unless you like the buzzing sound of a demented wasp ;-)

My guess is that both AP and NS2 have incomplete or buggy AU MIDI processor implementations.

• edited July 2019

@cem_olcay Found a bug in snapshot sequencing. StepBud does not respond to high value MIDI CC numbers for snapshots. For example, I tried using 21 and 31 for snapshot CC number but when I tried to sequence via another StepBud this did not work. However, values like 1, 5, 10 worked. Can you please take a look?