Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepBud AUv3 MIDI Sequencer - Available

Comments

• edited May 2019

@Samu said:

@cem_olcay said:
    The new update will be amazing! Here's a quick video showing Cubasis looping.
    I'm also improvising with ScaleBud. With these apps, even a guy like me can create music haha :)

Cool! :)

Try to ‘record’ the notes into Cubasis as well.
    The notes coming out from StepBud are mostly ‘off the grid’ at the moment indicating some kind of timing issue!?

I was told by their engineer, I’m afraid that’s a Cubasis issue, they are working on it.
    After recording, quantizing should help.
    Live performing is solid though, as seen in the video :)
    Also, I've tested on BeatMaker 3 and NanoStudio 2 as well. Working perfectly 👍

• @cem_olcay said:

I was told by their engineer, I’m afraid that’s a Cubasis issue, they are working on it.
    After recording, quantizing should help.

Ok, I was just wondering since I don't have any issues recording midi from the 'other' AUv3 sequencers (Atom, StepPolyArp Unit and Da Rozetas) when they run inside Cubasis?!

Don't know if it's the extra Portamento, Mod & PitchWheel messages that get sent with every step that may cause some anomalies?(I've turned off Mod-Wheel and PitchBend but can't seem to turn off Portamento).

Anyways good to know the 'host' is at work fixing it too :)

Live performing is solid though, as seen in the video :)
    Also, I've tested on BeatMaker 3 and NanoStudio 2 as well. Working perfectly 👍

+1 Even though BM3 and NS2 still make it a hassle to record the midi from AUv3 plug-ins...

• The new update kicked in! Check out the v1.2.2 -- the best, most stable version ever!

• edited May 2019

@cem_olcay said:
    The new update kicked in! Check out the v1.2.2 -- the best, most stable version ever!

Thanks! regarding your 'other app' ScaleBud...

I'd love to be able to 'split' the chord buttons vertically (so we'd have a row one octave above and one bellow).
    This way we'd be able to easily cover a wider range... No ned to implement, just a friendly suggestion :)

• noob question --- how does it sound to "(be able to) load samples to each step"?

• edited May 2019

noob question 2 --- how about a "randomizer" fader that would alternate the step's note?

• Thanks for the updates :)

It would be pretty great if the locked steps didn't change from notes to chords and vice versa when changing modes.
    Could be a nice workflow for combining chords and notes. :)

I like the idea of randomisers too :)

• @cem_olcay Please do add the option to disable sending of the 'portamento' (just like it's already possible to disable mod-wheel and pitch-bend).

Also an on/off switch for the user-defined CC's (Just like the one for PitchBend & ModWheel) could be handy and make it easier to create a 'CC Template' and only enabled those CC's that are needed. The disabled CC's could be 'hidden' from the tab-bar to keep the UI clean.

Also a bit of 'logic' could also come in handy to 'clean up' the midi output. ie. If the CC value on a step is the same as on the previous step it doesn't need to be sent.

Considering it's possible to 'bombard' CC's from StepBud some logic is needed.
    As an example the classic ModStep only sends a CC if it's different from the previous step.

These are just some friendly suggestions as it's not my app :)

• @Samu said:
    @cem_olcay Please do add the option to disable sending of the 'portamento' (just like it's already possible to disable mod-wheel and pitch-bend).

Also an on/off switch for the user-defined CC's (Just like the one for PitchBend & ModWheel) could be handy and make it easier to create a 'CC Template' and only enabled those CC's that are needed. The disabled CC's could be 'hidden' from the tab-bar to keep the UI clean.

Also a bit of 'logic' could also come in handy to 'clean up' the midi output. ie. If the CC value on a step is the same as on the previous step it doesn't need to be sent.

Considering it's possible to 'bombard' CC's from StepBud some logic is needed.
    As an example the classic ModStep only sends a CC if it's different from the previous step.

These are just some friendly suggestions as it's not my app :)

I don't agree about sending CC if previous is the same.

I sometimes run a few step buds at the same time and and the different ones may be sending to the same CC. seq 1 might have several consecutive steps (maybe half notes) that send 0 to CC1. But seq 2 is sending out 1/8th notes and different values for CC1 and I want each of seq 1's 0s being sent.

• @espiegel123 said:

I sometimes run a few step buds at the same time and and the different ones may be sending to the same CC. seq 1 might have several consecutive steps (maybe half notes) that send 0 to CC1. But seq 2 is sending out 1/8th notes and different values for CC1 and I want each of seq 1's 0s being sent.

This would only be an issue if multiple StepBuds are controlling the 'same instrument' at the same time and in those cases there would be a 'CC Conflict' anyway.

As an example if both StepBuds send CC74 to control the CutOff of the 'same instrument' which one would be 'the one to control it' since the CC74 to the instrument comes from two sources?

It should be an 'option' to avoid CC overload.
    (I see no reason to always send portamento as an example, it's a 'set and forget' type of controller in most cases).

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

This would only be an issue if multiple StepBuds are controlling the 'same instrument' at the same time and in those cases there would be a 'CC Conflict' anyway.

As an example if both StepBuds send CC74 to control the CutOff of the 'same instrument' which one would be 'the one to control it' since the CC74 to the instrument comes from two sources?

It should be an 'option' to avoid CC overload.
    (I see no reason to always send portamento as an example, it's a 'set and forget' type of controller in most cases).

I agree that it would be a good option -- but I would want it to be an option. The issue of there being potential conflict is a sort of YMMV situation. And, yes, this is sending (intentionally) to the same instrument.

CC messages and notes don't take up much bandwidth at the rates one runs StepBud sequences.

• @espiegel123 said:

CC messages and notes don't take up much bandwidth at the rates one runs StepBud sequences.

Agreed...

Here's a quite interesting 'reflection' from the Octachron thread.

Send CC's first then trigger the note, makes absolutely perfect sense to 'set the values' before triggering the note...

@cem_olcay Could this be added as an option?

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Agreed...

Here's a quite interesting 'reflection' from the Octachron thread.

Send CC's first then trigger the note, makes absolutely perfect sense to 'set the values' before triggering the note...

@cem_olcay Could this be added as an option?

Yeah, absolutely, makes sense!

• New update hit the store! v1.2.3

• Portamento message sending switch on the MIDI CC screen (@samu :smile: )
    • Step editor screen improvements (chords and notes are loading/changing way more faster)
    • Also default gate value is 0.5 now.
    • And I'm hiding the skip and lock buttons initially since they kinda advanced features and they consume a significant amount of space on initial AUv3 window.

Going to think about adding a "randomizer" mode for the next update. If you have any ideas/advices shoot em right away :smile:

• Thanks!
    I can’t seem to work it in the new NS2 update, isn’t it confirmed as working in this version?

• It was working perfectly well with the NS2 testflight build 2.0.1.3 a week ago. I've got the new build though, going to do a debug and let you know.

• @cem_olcay said:
    New update hit the store! v1.2.3

• Portamento message sending switch on the MIDI CC screen (@samu :smile: )
    • Step editor screen improvements (chords and notes are loading/changing way more faster)
    • Also default gate value is 0.5 now.
    • And I'm hiding the skip and lock buttons initially since they kinda advanced features and they consume a significant amount of space on initial AUv3 window.

Going to think about adding a "randomizer" mode for the next update. If you have any ideas/advices shoot em right away :smile:

Thanks, what about an option to 'hide' the tabs that are disabled in the Midi CC screen?
    A 'hide toggle' (Like the one Mod, Pitch Bend & Porta) for the custom Midi CC's could also be handy.
    It could be placed to the right of the +/- arrows used to select the CC.

I'll have to check when the actual CC's are sent. I mean if I add a new CC while the pattern is playing it will most likely send CC's all the time while I use the +/- to select which CC to use?! (And starting with CC0 it could send bank-change messages to external synths and well...).

Or maybe I'll just 'stop' playback when adding new CC's instead of creating 'problems' :)

• @Carnbot I made a quick video StepBud v1.2.3 running on NS2 v2.0.1.8
    Still running perfectly. Loop mode is enabled as well.

• Thanks @cem_olcay got it working but it's been doing some funny things. Not sure if it's because of the NS2 update was still working in the background or something.... Was only working up to the first 4 steps just now and also loaded with a blank screen, but restarted the app and it's better. But when it plays a note on the NS2 keys it always stays purple and you can't turn it white again. Is that happening for you?

• Another nice update @cem_olcay Thanks!
    CC#5 is still being sent. "Portamento message sending switch on the MIDI CC screen" is disabled but its switch stays on?

• A new killer feature is coming for StepBud -- Snapshots!

• You can quickly capture the current step configuration and quickly load them while sequencing.
    • You can also show/hide the new snapshot bar from the settings menu.

• @cem_olcay said:

Nice! Will they be triggerable by midi? :)

• @Carnbot said:

@cem_olcay said:

That's a good question. Like triggering with MIDI notes or MIDI CC?
    I actually can make them triggerable with MIDI CC, so StepBud can send itself a CC and modulate itself haha :smiley:

• @cem_olcay said:

@Carnbot said:

@cem_olcay said:

That's a good question. Like triggering with MIDI notes or MIDI CC?
    I actually can make them triggerable with MIDI CC, so StepBud can send itself a CC and modulate itself haha :smiley:

yeah, CC is best probably, if it can sequence itself, even better :)

• That's freaking cool man! The snapshots! I dig it! Good original concept!
    Any moor thought on the start /stop button for AUM?

• Everytime I think I should learn the new feature that StepBud has just added - a new release comes out meaning I have to learn even more new features... :D

Astounding - in a good way.

• Is there a manual?

• With snapshots, perhaps there is a need for an option to have the change happen on the next start boundary instead of immediately? If one wants to sync changing of multiple StepBud snapshots.

• edited May 2019

@reasOne
    yes, I probably add an arm button or something just for AUv3.

@Telstar5
    there is a quick tutorial mode in the standalone app but I add a lot of other things and haven't updated the tutorial yet. At this point, I don't even know how many features StepBud has. Probably a lot, at least 12 forum pages amount of them 😅 Also, you can find the highlighted features on youtube or my twitter feed (@cem_olcay)

@bleep
    Yes, that would probably be needed. I can add a toggle to the settings bar, where you can enable/disable snapshot change after the current one finished.

@Carnbot
    BIG NEWS, I added the MIDI CC triggering for snapshots! Also there's an audio unit parameter as well.
    I will record a video where a StepBud sends MIDI CC to another one for sequencing its snapshots.

It's looking great and so much fun to sequence snapshots.
    BTW -- a snapshot contains all the current configuration including the step count, their enabled/disabled/locked/unlocked/skipped/unskipped states, and each of their modes like key, scale, rate, gate, cc etc.

• @cem_olcay said:

@Carnbot
    BIG NEWS, I added the MIDI CC triggering for snapshots! Also there's an audio unit parameter as well.
    I will record a video where a StepBud sends MIDI CC to another one for sequencing its snapshots.

Wow, that's great. it's going to be a very well used feature :)

how many snapshots can be stored?