Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepBud AUv3 MIDI Sequencer - Available

Comments

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    @cem_olcay
    Could you please fix this issue - triplets run out of sync after couple of bars...
    It's already noticeable after 10 bars, after 20 you can't miss it and after 30 it's a mess...
    (Nothing adjusted while capturing)

Any chance for SB stay in sync as you tweak it's rate parameter?

The new update is on the way 👍

• @cem_olcay said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    @cem_olcay
    Could you please fix this issue - triplets run out of sync after couple of bars...
    It's already noticeable after 10 bars, after 20 you can't miss it and after 30 it's a mess...
    (Nothing adjusted while capturing)

Any chance for SB stay in sync as you tweak it's rate parameter?

The new update is on the way 👍

Nice, thank you!

• @cem_olcay said:
    @Bill_Brasky that’s a known bug, happening sometimes on the first load of the plugin. So, you can remove the plugin and load it again for the quickest possible fix.

Got it removed in four tries.

• @cem_olcay Thanks for the step count (#) button in the new update.. much quicker + easier to adjust.. 👍

• Thanks... for the updateS... dining in...

• @cem_olcay
    Triplets still go out of sync after couple of bars :(

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    @cem_olcay

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, there was a floating point calculation bug on the triplets.
    Since 1 / 3 = 0.3; (0.3 * 3) didn't add up to 1.0, instead it was adding up to 0.9 which was causing the out of sync bug.
    Anyways, I did a fix and it seems working pretty good now! The new update will be in the store in a few days 👍

• @cem_olcay said:

@cem_olcay

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, there was a floating point calculation bug on the triplets.
    Since 1 / 3 = 0.3; (0.3 * 3) didn't add up to 1.0, instead it was adding up to 0.9 which was causing the out of sync bug.
    Anyways, I did a fix and it seems working pretty good now! The new update will be in the store in a few days 👍

Thank you 👍

• @cem_olcay said:

@cem_olcay

Awesome dude, you been on top of things @cem_olcay Thanks for that.

• @cem_olcay With my relative success with the new ChordBud app, I went ahead and bought the Bu(n)dle. Here are a new user’s questions and observations...

So, StepBud doesn’t have patterns like ChordBud does but uses snapshots instead, maybe? I tried to create a short pattern, create a snapshot then a second pattern. Whenever I touch either of the snapshots the new pattern reverts to the original and I can never get back to the new one. Oh, wait... the + button is really a save new snapshot button. I have to “mess up” the current pattern then save it as a new one. I’m sure I’ll get used to that and I’m sure I’ll end up loosing plenty of patterns because I’ll do it wrong.

Is there any way to update a snapshot or do you just have to save it as new and delete the old? What does that do to ordering and external cc sequencing of snapshots?

Is there any way to configure snapshot presses to take effect at the end of the pattern rather than immediately?

Is there any visual indication of which snapshot is currently playing?

Any thoughts of using ChordBud’s pattern model?

I know that StepBud can do cc and I remember reading about how to do it but I can’t figure out how to configure arbitrary cc’s so I can control another instance’s snapshot selection. Found it by looking back in the thread, I would never have thought to look in the midi settings to add a cc even though it they are midi cc’s.

Is there any way to have cc’s with different rates than the notes? I’d like to modulate a sustained note. Honestly from my brief viewings of the videos I kinda thought that notes and cc’s had their own set of independent steps but that would mean that you would have needed two sets of rates and I didn’t think that through.

With as destructive as incoming midi notes can be, sequencing one StepBud with another terrifies me. Is there a way to completely disable the notes. I can’t mute the steps since that mutes cc’s too.

Is there a way to insert steps?

Is there any way to use accidentals other than using the chromatic scale?

The master fader control is really easy to touch and amazingly destructive in copy mode. Is there an undo button somewhere?

As was mentioned in the ChordBud thread, I find myself wanting a preview in StepBud too. In fact what I’m wanting is a way, without the sequencer running, to tap on steps and hear the note. Then I wouldn’t need a preview if the note triggered as I changed it. Or something along those lines.

I don’t think there’s anything you can do about this but now that I have one StepBud sequencing another, it’s impossible to edit a snapshot. It’d be nice to be able to lock a snapshot to be displayed but allow the cc’s to switch the playing snapshot in the background. That open up a whole lot of other up issues so probably not simple to contemplate.

Thanks for the cool apps.

• @cem_olcay or others... What don’t I understand about pitch bend? I was sending ChordBud to Ravenscroft and StepBud to Mersenne and noticed that Mersenne was sharp. I started a new session and they were in tune until I started StepBud. I verified this with TB Spectrogram too.

I disabled sending pitch bend, modulation and portamento and voilà, everything was in tune.

I looked at the pitch settings bend settings and they’re all at the default of -0.00. StepBud is sending e0 7f 7f which doesn’t look like a 0. Thinking it might have been an issue with the -0 i nudged it up to 0.00 and then StepBud started sending e0 0b 01 which isn’t close to anything expected and it didn’t sound like it either. I would have expected e0 00 40.

• @cem_olcay hey, would you consider duplicating a bar’s value at the top while changing it? It’s really hard to see the first half-octave notes under the finger. Thanks!

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@xor said:
    @cem_olcay or others... What don’t I understand about pitch bend? I was sending ChordBud to Ravenscroft and StepBud to Mersenne and noticed that Mersenne was sharp. I started a new session and they were in tune until I started StepBud. I verified this with TB Spectrogram too.

I disabled sending pitch bend, modulation and portamento and voilà, everything was in tune.

I looked at the pitch settings bend settings and they’re all at the default of -0.00. StepBud is sending e0 7f 7f which doesn’t look like a 0. Thinking it might have been an issue with the -0 i nudged it up to 0.00 and then StepBud started sending e0 0b 01 which isn’t close to anything expected and it didn’t sound like it either. I would have expected e0 00 40.

Definitely buggy:

• When not set (-0.00) it sends E0 7F 7F, which is the maximum possible upward pitch bend. It shouldn't send anything, or at least send "zero" pitch bend: E0 40 00
    • When set at 0.00 (middle of the range), it is still sending E0 7F 7F. It should be sending E0 40 00.
    • From the middle of the range upward should range from 40 00 to 7F 7F. Instead it ranges from 00 00 to 7F 7F.
    • From the middle of the range downward should range from 40 00 to 00 00. Instead it ranges from 7F 7F to 00.

Here's a good explanation of the pitch-bend midi message: https://sites.uci.edu/camp2014/2014/04/30/managing-midi-pitchbend-messages/

• Is there a midi command for start stop when running in Cubase?

• slysly
    edited October 2020

Hey Guys,

Have any of you experience this error when trying to run StepBud in ApeMatrix:

What is happening that Step runs for a while when loaded and the error above occurs.
    Sometimes this picture pop-up does not occur but the app also fails.

All of the apps are updated to the latest ones. IOS version 14.0

Edit:

I performed a test with AUM as well and with Step loading attempt it crashed AUM completely.

• Strange, I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up!

• I’m having a minor issue @cem_olcay i sent you a message but wanted to make sure you saw it. When using StepBud as an AU V3 to send cc messages I sometimes have trouble getting the bar all the way to zero or all the way to 127. Not always. Most of the time after I fiddle with it for a min and it works, but it slows down my workflow, and can be annoying.

Using stepbud to send CC messages is freakin awesome if you haven’t tried it yet. You can get super specific about the amount of CC and when CC are applied. It’s awesome.

• @cem_olcay said:
    Strange, I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up!

Hey,

Any luck fixing this? My friend uses AUM and after new update StepBud crashes the app once loaded.

• @sly said:

@cem_olcay said:
    Strange, I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up!

Hey,

Any luck fixing this? My friend uses AUM and after new update StepBud crashes the app once loaded.

No, I'm afraid it's an iOS bug and it's very hard to understand where the problem is since the debugger doesn't help much.
    I know there are some more apps struggling with this iOS bug and I think we will come up with a workaround soon. I'll keep you updated! Meanwhile, the standalone mode works without any trouble 👍

• Great news, I fixed the crash! It was the most weird one ever, pure iOS 14 nonsense without any debug info 😅
    Anyways, the update will be in the store tomorrow 👍

• The new version is up! Please check it out and let me know if it fixed the crash (for iOS 14+ AUv3)

• @cem_olcay said:
    The new version is up! Please check it out and let me know if it fixed the crash (for iOS 14+ AUv3)

cool cool i’ll be testing it today

• edited November 2020

There's a setting for the arpeggio direction, but how do you get stepbud to arpeggiate anything? Or what does this setting do?

Also, is there a way for stepbud to only be active when a note is played?

Just got all the bud apps and got to say, I love them! So many possibilities!

• Stepbud does not appear in AUM for me... ios 14.3

• I”m just getting into the possibilities sending midi CCs. This give me a whole new reason to use Stepbud but one small problem is that it would be helpful if I could send just CCs without sending any note data but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do that. Even if I turn down velocities to 0; it’s still going to be sending out useless and interfering note messages. Can’t this be done? It seems like it would be a minor tweak to the app to fix.
    Actually, @cem_olcay , why not make a new app just for sequencing CC data. Just remove all of the note stuff and maybe allow for some longer durations in the steps. You could call it CCBud. All of the other apps for sending CC data are always LFOs. It would be much more useful to be able to assign CC values without the continual up and down of wave forms. Just a suggestion.

• edited April 2021

Hey @Stochastically, double tap the step (step’s number) and remove the note from the note editor, in that way stepbud doesn’t send any notes.

Yeah, CCBud is a good idea, I need to think about that 😃

• @cem_olcay said:
    Hey @Stochastically, double tap the step (step’s number) and remove the note from the note editor, in that way stepbud doesn’t send any notes.

Yeah, CCBud is a good idea, I need to think about that 😃

Ah, the double tap. I had just been long pressing. Thanks for explaining to a dummy (me). I hadn't looked deeply enough into it. No need for CCBud I guess; it's all there and works well! I'm looking forward getting more use from this now!

• edited April 2021

I would love if it was some how possible for each of the pages to have different step lengths. @cem_olcay is this something you have thought of/would consider?

Edit: thought this thread was for ArpBud, my bad.

• @ronnieb said:
    I would love if it was some how possible for each of the pages to have different step lengths. @cem_olcay is this something you have thought of/would consider?

Edit: thought this thread was for ArpBud, my bad.

You can set different step lengths for each step on StepBud (with the "rate" mode). But in ArpBud each step share the same length/rate. Otherwise it won't be an arpeggiator :smile: StepBud and ArpBud are complimentary apps, they have similar workflow yet they work differently and they get their work done very fast :smile: