Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepBud AUv3 MIDI Sequencer - Available

Comments

• Hi @cem_olcay, in the atom thread I mentioned having problems with cc3. Here’s a video demonstrating the problem. Also, how do you disable note generation? I first tried using skip but quickly discovered that skip is global, not per event type (which would be really cool). Then I tried setting gate and velocity to 0 but that just eventually causes a single note on/off message to be generated which, I think, isn’t really correct.

• @xor said:
    how do you disable note generation?

Tap and hold the number above the step. Then select “Edit” from the resulting menu.

Then deselect the note (tap on whichever key in the keyboard is selected so no keys are highlighted) and then repeat for each step.

Once you’ve turned off all the notes you may want to save that as a preset to save yourself having to do the same each time.

• @klownshed said:

@xor said:

Tap and hold the number above the step. Then select “Edit” from the resulting menu.

Then deselect the note (tap on whichever key in the keyboard is selected so no keys are highlighted) and then repeat for each step.

Once you’ve turned off all the notes you may want to save that as a preset to save yourself having to do the same each time.

Now why didn’t I think of that? Thanks.

• @klownshed said:

@xor said:

That disables everything for the step, not just note generation. If you only want to send CC's without notes I don't see a way to do that.

• Hi @cem_olcay I think I found a small bug. When you first add a new CC you can't increment the number past 15. If you exit the MIDI setup screen and come back in then you can increase the CC past 15.

• xorxor
    edited April 2021

@wim said:

@klownshed said:

@xor said:

That disables everything for the step, not just note generation. If you only want to send CC's without notes I don't see a way to do that.

Actually it did exactly what I wanted. Now, if it actually fixed CC3 I’d be a happy camper. ;-)

• edited April 2021

@wim said:

@klownshed said:

@xor said:

No this does work — it just disables the note by deselecting it from the keyboard. everything else works fine including CCs.

• @klownshed said:

@wim said:

@klownshed said:

@xor said:

No this does work — it just disables the note by deselecting it from the keyboard. everything else works fine including CCs.

Weird, I must have misread the midiSpy output.

• Trying it again I noticed disabled steps are still sending orphan Note-OFF messages. @cem_olcay - that seems like a bug to me.

• @xor said:
    Actually it did exactly what I wanted. Now, if it actually fixed CC3 I’d be a happy camper. ;-)

Confirmed, that's a bug. CC3 always sends value 3 no matter what you set the steps to.
    ping: @cem_olcay

• @wim said:
    Trying it again I noticed disabled steps are still sending orphan Note-OFF messages. @cem_olcay - that seems like a bug to me.

Hmmm, see my video above. I wonder what’s different in our setups.

• @xor said:

@wim said:
    Trying it again I noticed disabled steps are still sending orphan Note-OFF messages. @cem_olcay - that seems like a bug to me.

I think you're misunderstanding me. Disabling the steps does what it's supposed to do, which is stopping notes from playing while letting CCs through. However, Note-OFF messages still leak through. They should not. Normally this won't cause any issues but it can confuse some apps.

To reproduce, set no CC's, turn off modulation, pitch bend, and portamento. Disable all steps and press play. There should be no output, but each step does send a note-off.

This is unrelated to your issue. It's a side-bug that I noticed.

• Hey guys, I'm taking notes, I'll make a big update for StepBud soon and fix the bugs. I'm just not sure how soon it will be because I'm dealing with my regular full time job and on my spare time I'm working on a new exciting synth app that I'm going to share the details in next few days.

• @wim said:

@xor said:

@wim said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. Disabling the steps does what it's supposed to do, which is stopping notes from playing while letting CCs through. However, Note-OFF messages still leak through. They should not. Normally this won't cause any issues but it can confuse some apps.

To reproduce, set no CC's, turn off modulation, pitch bend, and portamento. Disable all steps and press play. There should be no output, but each step does send a note-off.

This is unrelated to your issue. It's a side-bug that I noticed.

Yes, I understood. I saw that too when I set gate and velocity to 0 but before I knew about disabling. But, as you can see in the video I posted once I disabled the notes StepBud only generated cc events, no note events.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@xor said:
    Yes, I understood. I saw that too when I set gate and velocity to 0 but before I knew about disabling. But, as you can see in the video I posted once I disabled the notes StepBud only generated cc events, no note events.

Very odd. I get "orphan" Note-OFF messages every time using MidiSpy to monitor. Oh well.

• @wim said:

@xor said:

Very odd. I get "orphan" Note-OFF messages every time using MidiSpy to monitor. Oh well.

Odd indeed. Here’s a longer version of what I’m seeing…

• @cem_olcay said:
    Hey guys, I'm taking notes, I'll make a big update for StepBud soon and fix the bugs. I'm just not sure how soon it will be because I'm dealing with my regular full time job and on my spare time I'm working on a new exciting synth app that I'm going to share the details in next few days.

Ohh synths you say!!!!

• Hey @cem_olcay new problem with StepBud cc’s. Set it up to send cc36 but when I mapped it to aum, it didn’t work until aum learned it as cc38. Can you see anything that I’m doing wrong?

aum session: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imqxi0morr53b3p/StepBud cc36.aumproj?dl=0

• @xor said:
    Hey @cem_olcay new problem with StepBud cc’s. Set it up to send cc36 but when I mapped it to aum, it didn’t work until aum learned it as cc38. Can you see anything that I’m doing wrong?

aum session: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imqxi0morr53b3p/StepBud cc36.aumproj?dl=0

So I did some more digging and 36 is the only cc that sends the wrong cc#.

I also discovered that cc’s 9, 14-15, 20-31, 35, 46-47, 52-63, 85-87, 89-90, 102-127 behave just like cc 3 where the value sent is the same as the cc#. That is cc 20 always sends 20, cc 21 sends 21, …

cc 41 doesn’t send anything

cc 64-69 Only sends 0 or 127

cc 96-97 only sends 0

• @ALB said:

@echoopera said:
    If this thing had a Probability/% Play and Randomize note within Scale parameter it would be the best thing ever :) Right now, it's pretty nice from a functionality stand point. :)

Would sending notes to Cality work for this?

Oh boy adding Cality. Almost forgotten about that gem, just added Cality with 2 snakes, one recievind a snake and the others firing directly what fun! Cheers for that timely reminder.

• @xor said:

@xor said:
    Hey @cem_olcay new problem with StepBud cc’s. Set it up to send cc36 but when I mapped it to aum, it didn’t work until aum learned it as cc38. Can you see anything that I’m doing wrong?

I also discovered that cc’s 9, 14-15, 20-31, 35, 46-47, 52-63, 85-87, 89-90, 102-127 behave just like cc 3 where the value sent is the same as the cc#. That is cc 20 always sends 20, cc 21 sends 21, …

cc 96-97 only sends 0

Could this be why I’m having trouble using stepbud to switch patterns in Chord bud 2? I can not figure out what I’m doing wrong? I watched Cem’s video, several videos, and set it up just like I always do with cc stuff in AUM, but I can not get the patterns to change… I’m hoping someone can help or has some idea of why I can’t seem to make this happen? I just want step bud to send cc to chord bud on midi ch 1 cc 10, so it plays 8 bars of pattern one the switches to 8 bars of pattern 2. It’s probably user era but I’mnot sure what is set up incorrectly. Any help would be much appreciated…

• @Poppadocrock said:

@xor said:

@xor said:

cc 96-97 only sends 0

Could this be why I’m having trouble using stepbud to switch patterns in Chord bud 2? I can not figure out what I’m doing wrong? I watched Cem’s video, several videos, and set it up just like I always do with cc stuff in AUM, but I can not get the patterns to change… I’m hoping someone can help or has some idea of why I can’t seem to make this happen? I just want step bud to send cc to chord bud on midi ch 1 cc 10, so it plays 8 bars of pattern one the switches to 8 bars of pattern 2. It’s probably user era but I’mnot sure what is set up incorrectly. Any help would be much appreciated…

No, cc10 works fine in StepBud. Here’s how it works

• First off, Beautiful, I can’t thank you enough @xor Thank you for the video. I was already thinking whoever helps me might have a lot of typing to do, and in general I want to make it as easy as possible for whoever helps, to give an answer, so the video was a great solution

I knew it was user error just couldn’t figure out what. I wasn’t long pressing the step values and deselecting the note for each step. I also tried several variations of having mod/pitch bend/etc, on and off but never turned all of them off. I knew it had to be something I was or wasn’t doing.

Lastly, You can also use the master slider to adjust the step values, the long grey bar below the steps. That way if you need eight steps at one bar each you can easily use the master to set them all the same value. In terms of setting the values to, 1, 2, and 3, to coincide with the pattern numbers that is a bit tricky, takes a very delicate touch. It’s also easier to bring the bar down to a value of say 1, then it is to try to raise the bar up to 1. My Logitech Crayon to the rescue, lol. You could again use the master to move it to say 2, then move the first step down, and the last step up one.

Thank you again I’ve been banging my head on a wall and this finally solves it. The funny thing is I could’ve swore I did it back when the apps were released, but for the longest time haven’t been able to replicate the process. You rule. Cheers!

• @xor if anything comes up, I owe ya one for that. Cheers!

• @xor i got chordbud to switch patterns. I think it was also corresponding the correct numbers to play the correct patterns that was messing me up. As I said I got it to work with chordbud but now I’m having trouble triggering Rhythmbud, I tried doing it on the same cc# and on a separate CC#. In one of Cem’s videos he shows stepbud changing both CB2 and RhythmBud at the same time on CC#10. It seems doable and as far as I can see it’s all set up correctly. Sorry to keep bugging you but I’m determined to finally get this set up properly…

Also for anyone who may know… Can stepbud send on multiple cc at the same time? you can set up a bunch, but let’s say I set 3 custom Midi CC values in stepbud, will they all work, or will only the highlighted one (the one selected in stepbud) send the cc. So if I set up cc10, cc11, and cc12. Can all 3 send a cc out at the same time or will only the selected cc inside stepbud be active?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @xor i got chordbud to switch patterns. I think it was also corresponding the correct numbers to play the correct patterns that was messing me up. As I said I got it to work with chordbud but now I’m having trouble triggering Rhythmbud, I tried doing it on the same cc# and on a separate CC#. In one of Cem’s videos he shows stepbud changing both CB2 and RhythmBud at the same time on CC#10. It seems doable and as far as I can see it’s all set up correctly. Sorry to keep bugging you but I’m determined to finally get this set up properly…

Also for anyone who may know… Can stepbud send on multiple cc at the same time? you can set up a bunch, but let’s say I set 3 custom Midi CC values in stepbud, will they all work, or will only the highlighted one (the one selected in stepbud) send the cc. So if I set up cc10, cc11, and cc12. Can all 3 send a cc out at the same time or will only the selected cc inside stepbud be active?

Here’s how to do RhythmBud too. It shows StepBud sending cc0 to RhythmBud and cc10 to ChordBud. The only issue is that they all share the same steps.

• I’m so sorry for being a pain, lol. I use stepbud cc all the time which is why I’m like what is going on? I’m positive it’s user error, Thank you so much @xorfor clearing this up. I truly can’t thank you enough. Especially for taking the time to make a video, which I did make sure to like and subscribe to your channel on YouTube. Cheers!

• I guess Rhythmbud has to be on CC#0, cause that’s the only difference from my set up?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I guess Rhythmbud has to be on CC#0, cause that’s the only difference from my set up?

Yep. They try to give you the hint at the bottom of the window.

• Help! Cannot see the CC option on the toolbar at bottom, how to enable? Ta