Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] Tips, Favourite Features, Discoveries and Surprises

Comments

• @realdawei said:

@Luxthor said:
    Most lovable ‘work as intended’ feature in iOS Logic Pro will be “The Arrow”!

I love it so much that I started to have nightmares already! 😳

Lol that is terrible I hit it so many times. It’s needs a different icon. I have a feeling they were forced to do that though by the internal iPadOS UX style police

Yes just restarted project three times due to thinking that was the back button for the preset panel :( +1 for a new icon

• @SuperNiCd said:

@mjm1138 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    Anybody know how to make a project template yet?

I think that goes hand-in-hand with the rather obtuse file handling (no way to close without saving, no way to "save as..."). You need to be able to do things like that in order to work with templates. Hopefully this will improve.

I doubt it, Apple has decided (in all their apps) that "Save as" is of the devil and an "outdated" concept. Indeed "Save" is an outdated concept to them, it should all just automatically work like "magic". What they're missing is that this is OK for extremely simple apps with simple interactions with small simple amounts of data, and not for dealing with complex projects where you want to keep multiple snapshots and copies and need to be sure of the current state etc... but oh well!

You may be right. I suppose I could be happy if they introduced some sort of versioning/snapshotting scheme but a couple times now I've lost work owing to this behavior. Something needs to change.

Until we get something better, you can close the project, long press on it and then Duplicate. Basically the same as Save As. Hope I’m not telling you something you already knew!

Yeah, I’ve been duplicating projects in Files before opening them. Not efficient but better than nothing :smile:

• @zzrwood said:
    My favourite simple trick is a double tap on the bottom menu bar closes all extraneous windows simultaneously

Thanks.. this should be pinned… an absolute essential shortcut…

• Anyone yet digging deep in Sculture Synth in Logic Pro for iPad?
    Wonderful synth!

Although Apple didn’t gave us full UI of Alchemy Synth they gave us full control of Sculpure - there are 138 (!) different Potentiometers to control the sound, plus, a lot of X/Y grids… Very powerful synth!

It has been several days now with Logic for iPad, and, I LOVE IT!

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Anyone yet digging deep in Sculture Synth in Logic Pro for iPad?
    Wonderful synth!

Although Apple didn’t gave us full UI of Alchemy Synth they gave us full control of Sculpure - there are 138 (!) different Potentiometers to control the sound, plus, a lot of X/Y grids… Very powerful synth!

Very lazy job with the UI of Sculpture, as others have said, it looks rushed, and for me this synth alone is almost worth the price of admission, at least until we get a standalone, MPE, physical modeling synth that equals or betters it.

• @stormywaterz said:

@realdawei said:

@Luxthor said:

Lol that is terrible I hit it so many times. It’s needs a different icon. I have a feeling they were forced to do that though by the internal iPadOS UX style police

Yes just restarted project three times due to thinking that was the back button for the preset panel :( +1 for a new icon

Absolute terrible UI design here… location of this should be looked at and amended. Hit that so many times when trying to close side panel. For me that is number one change needed in first update.

• @ik2000 said:

@stormywaterz said:

@realdawei said:

@Luxthor said:

Absolute terrible UI design here… location of this should be looked at and amended. Hit that so many times when trying to close side panel. For me that is number one change needed in first update.

Agree even it is strange for a pro target daw as pro and long time users of LP cannot deal with that , it is unsafe.

• @NoiseHorse said:

Would it not be as> @ik2000 said:

@stormywaterz said:

@realdawei said:

@Luxthor said:

Agreed about the location being at fault. Hit it so many times, and I doubt an icon change, though also necessary, would stop me hitting it. It should be well out of the way.

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

Very lazy job with the UI of Sculpture, as others have said, it looks rushed, and for me this synth alone is almost worth the price of admission, at least until we get a standalone, MPE, physical modeling synth that equals or betters it.

Yeah sculpture is fantastic. Soundwise that is. It's always had a horrible UI! It might look fancy on the Mac but it's not the most user friendly UI. It's borderline unusable for me on my 14" MBP, too much of it is tiny. It's very much a design from the Emagic era of too much 3D and convoluted UX.

Logic has never really lead the world in plug-in interfaces.

Hopefully this will be addressed in future versions, along with many missing features which I'm sure exist in the underlying engine but haven't been given a UI to surface them yet ("Strip Silence" as a random example -- I would be surprised if
    the code for it isn't already in the iPad version, waiting for a UI element to invoke it).

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

My most used synths on desktop Logic are Alchemy and Sculpture, they were reasons to buy Logic in the first place. I’m a sucker for physical modeling synths, glad you are enjoying it! 😎

• @klownshed said:

@mrufino1 said:

@klownshed said:
    Here's a tip I discovered.

I like to have multiple tracks all playing the same instrument sometimes, for example on the Mac I'll put region automation on a separate track from the notes to make it easy to duplicate to other sections. Another example is with a drum kit, I might want the snare on it's own track so I can use the inspector to change the quantise, feel (i.e. adjust the delay just for that track to bring the snare forwards or backwards) and to adjust the velocity without going into an editor -- non destructively. Or I might have a few different ideas and I'm not sure which to keep, kind of like manual comping (just mute all but the one you want).

Putting the automation on a separate track can be very effective as you can loop it in a different length region to the other parts (Say an 8 bar pattern with a 7 bar automation so it's different each time through).

There's no direct way to add a track for the iPad as there is on the Mac ("New track with same instrument").

BUT you can split a region by notes (Convert->Separate by Note Pitch) which puts all the individual pitches on a separate track of the same instrument. You then get multiple regions you can Join back together, and a nice bunch of empty tracks all set to the same instrument. Hide them in a folder stack if they're in the way, or delete any excess tracks.

Another example, I like using the step editor to automate parameter lock style. But if I want to do that to an existing MIDI region I would have to convert the region to Pattern first. Which isn't always what I want.

Now I can use the above method and have both pattern and MIDI regions playing the same instrument.

Here's an example with both a MIDI region and a pattern region (for automation) playing the same instrument:

Bit of a workaround -- but it works. Better than waiting for apple to add the "New track with same instrument" command :-)

You should also be able to do this with a track stack, where the midi is on the stack master track. That’s how logic sets it up when you use the producer drum kits. Well, sort of I guess- in the case of drums where you want each drum note on its own track you would still do the split by midi note function. But if those are all in a stack they will point to the main instrument.

I forgot to mention the main reason I didn’t want to use a track stack. Y> @klownshed said:

@mrufino1 said:

@klownshed said:

I like to have multiple tracks all playing the same instrument sometimes, for example on the Mac I'll put region automation on a separate track from the notes to make it easy to duplicate to other sections. Another example is with a drum kit, I might want the snare on it's own track so I can use the inspector to change the quantise, feel (i.e. adjust the delay just for that track to bring the snare forwards or backwards) and to adjust the velocity without going into an editor -- non destructively. Or I might have a few different ideas and I'm not sure which to keep, kind of like manual comping (just mute all but the one you want).

Putting the automation on a separate track can be very effective as you can loop it in a different length region to the other parts (Say an 8 bar pattern with a 7 bar automation so it's different each time through).

There's no direct way to add a track for the iPad as there is on the Mac ("New track with same instrument").

BUT you can split a region by notes (Convert->Separate by Note Pitch) which puts all the individual pitches on a separate track of the same instrument. You then get multiple regions you can Join back together, and a nice bunch of empty tracks all set to the same instrument. Hide them in a folder stack if they're in the way, or delete any excess tracks.

Another example, I like using the step editor to automate parameter lock style. But if I want to do that to an existing MIDI region I would have to convert the region to Pattern first. Which isn't always what I want.

Now I can use the above method and have both pattern and MIDI regions playing the same instrument.

Here's an example with both a MIDI region and a pattern region (for automation) playing the same instrument:

Bit of a workaround -- but it works. Better than waiting for apple to add the "New track with same instrument" command :-)

You should also be able to do this with a track stack, where the midi is on the stack master track. That’s how logic sets it up when you use the producer drum kits. Well, sort of I guess- in the case of drums where you want each drum note on its own track you would still do the split by midi note function. But if those are all in a stack they will point to the main instrument.

Sort of, but you can’t put the automation track on the top level as you can’t choose parameters from any instruments in the stack and this means you can’t do ‘normal’ automation simultaneously on the midi region.

Having separate tracks pointing to the same instrument works better I think and you can obviously pack them away into folder stack.

Besides, I like having multiple tracks of the same instrument for lots of reasons (for example being able to control regions’ parameters such as quantise settings and delay separately).

@Gavinski said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

Yeah sculpture is fantastic. Soundwise that is. It's always had a horrible UI! It might look fancy on the Mac but it's not the most user friendly UI. It's borderline unusable for me on my 14" MBP, too much of it is tiny. It's very much a design from the Emagic era of too much 3D and convoluted UX.

Hopefully this will be addressed in future versions, along with many missing features which I'm sure exist in the underlying engine but haven't been given a UI to surface them yet ("Strip Silence" as a random example -- I would be surprised if
    the code for it isn't already in the iPad version, waiting for a UI element to invoke it).

So I’m in the minority about that UI. For me everything is easily readable on one page, you can dial in a second whatever you want, without changing pages and pages of countless options.

If you try to unify every slider, knob and pads you will get exactly what you got now in iOS Logic.

• edited May 2023

@Luxthor said:

@klownshed said:

@mrufino1 said:

@klownshed said:

I forgot to mention the main reason I didn’t want to use a track stack. Y> @klownshed said:

@mrufino1 said:

@klownshed said:

Sort of, but you can’t put the automation track on the top level as you can’t choose parameters from any instruments in the stack and this means you can’t do ‘normal’ automation simultaneously on the midi region.

Having separate tracks pointing to the same instrument works better I think and you can obviously pack them away into folder stack.

Besides, I like having multiple tracks of the same instrument for lots of reasons (for example being able to control regions’ parameters such as quantise settings and delay separately).

@Gavinski said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

So I’m in the minority about that UI. For me everything is easily readable on one page, you can dial in a second whatever you want, without changing pages and pages of countless options.

If you try to unify every slider, knob and pads you will get exactly what you got now in iOS Logic.

I quite like it. Certainly more than on LPiOS. Where I think the original fails is in the cramped modulation section. On the other hand, there’s a lot of wasted space on the top section. Wouldn’t have been the hardest thing to shift that balance as well as make some other improvements.

Now I fear the desktop will end up looking just the same as on the tablet :(

• Before I had iPad I always used Logic Pro… didn’t really get on with Ableton,
    So this is a great thread to tempt me into getting this on my iPad too…
    Reminds me of why I like LP.
    I think I’d just use the monthly option for specific projects.
    We shall see…
    :)

• @el_bo said:

@Luxthor said:

@klownshed said:

@mrufino1 said:

@klownshed said:

@mrufino1 said:

@klownshed said:

@Gavinski said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

I quite like it. Certainly more than on LPiOS. Where I think the original fails is in the cramped modulation section. On the other hand, there’s a lot of wasted space on the top section. Wouldn’t have been the hardest thing to shift that balance as well as make some other improvements.

Now I fear the desktop will end up looking just the same as on the tablet :(

Our brain loves symmetry, those spaces are for a reason so we can separate sections without even thinking. Yes, I admit, lot’s of options are cramped but if you want to correct this, tabs of pages will be mandatory. So you will lose visibility and speed.

BTW, glad you like it, I’m not alone! 😀

• @klownshed said:

@Gavinski said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

In fairness to Apple, the horror show UI/UX of large parts of the Logic Pro native plugin experience was inherited from the days when Logic was published by Emagic. In the main, Apple has improved the UI (if not the UX) considerably over the years, it's just that they took a bleeding long time to do it.

My tip is RTM both if you're a regular Logic macOS user or not. The cul-de-sacs you encounter in Logic Pro for iPad are equally vexing to both types of user. In packing so much of the macOS functionality into a touch-based UX there's some really unusual design decisions. I'm trying not to allow my internalised biases control my emotions on these as there are plenty of UI/UX choices in iOS apps where I've initially been uncomfortable, that now feel simple and intuitive.

My personal 'discovery' is so banal I probably shouldn't mention it. But seeing as I'm here, I can't believe how well Pencil works across various parts of the UX. Usually with iOS audio apps, they work well with touch or Pencil (and very rarely both), but the Logic Pro team have done really well in this regard. Seeing as Pencil is their hardware, it would have been a crying shame if they didn't manage this feat, but it was no guarantee. I can't wait to see what they have in store when the 3rd gen Pencil is finally released.

• Tapping the balance knobs opens a larger interface

• @SicksentZ said:
    Tapping the balance knobs opens a larger interface

Yes I saw that in the manual, really nice touch.

• I’ve lost hours just running Audiothing’s Noises into StepFX. It’s really hypnotic and lovely.

• @jonmoore said:

@klownshed said:

@Gavinski said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

In fairness to Apple, the horror show UI/UX of large parts of the Logic Pro native plugin experience was inherited from the days when Logic was published by Emagic. In the main, Apple has improved the UI (if not the UX) considerably over the years, it's just that they took a bleeding long time to do it.

My tip is RTM both if you're a regular Logic macOS user or not. The cul-de-sacs you encounter in Logic Pro for iPad are equally vexing to both types of user. In packing so much of the macOS functionality into a touch-based UX there's some really unusual design decisions. I'm trying not to allow my internalised biases control my emotions on these as there are plenty of UI/UX choices in iOS apps where I've initially been uncomfortable, that now feel simple and intuitive.

My personal 'discovery' is so banal I probably shouldn't mention it. But seeing as I'm here, I can't believe how well Pencil works across various parts of the UX. Usually with iOS audio apps, they work well with touch or Pencil (and very rarely both), but the Logic Pro team have done really well in this regard. Seeing as Pencil is their hardware, it would have been a crying shame if they didn't manage this feat, but it was no guarantee. I can't wait to see what they have in store when the 3rd gen Pencil is finally released.

I’ve had the pencil and couldn’t figure out how to use it in my work flow but now with LPios the pencil just fits in nicely with my way of using it with the menus and sliders and presets.

• @Luxthor said:
    […]if you want to correct this, tabs of pages will be mandatory. So you will lose visibility and speed.

I much prefer tabbed interfaces in many cases. However, if visibility and speed are important, I think these new plugin interfaces are going in the opposite direction.

• @ik2000 said:

@stormywaterz said:

@realdawei said:

@Luxthor said:

Yes - absolutely shit design, amazed this passed muster

• @jonmoore said:

@klownshed said:

@Gavinski said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Wonderful synth!

Out of curiosity, what benefits would the 2nd gen pencil give in Logic for iPad over the 1st gen pencil? And what extra functions do you think would be added in 3rd gen? Cheers!

• @FordTimeLord said:
    I’ve lost hours just running Audiothing’s Noises into StepFX. It’s really hypnotic and lovely.

Ooh yes, that’s a good one.

• @mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:

I think that goes hand-in-hand with the rather obtuse file handling (no way to close without saving, no way to "save as..."). You need to be able to do things like that in order to work with templates. Hopefully this will improve.

I agree the file system is weird and there is a lack of saving options, I just want a Template button. I can make Templates in Auria, Cubasis, N-Track, and Audio Evolution, etc. Seems like a basic expectation for a DAW.

• I just discovered that you can use Universal Control (using your Mac to control your iPad) to drag-n-drop files from Mac to iPad and vice versa. I also tried dropping sample files from Mac to Logic iPad, and Logic recognized them as samples and asked about Sample Alchemy or Quick Sampler to open them. No success with the .exs sample files though...

I will try more combinations... maybe maybe there is a way of getting your sound library over to the iPad in some way...

Fingers crossed!

• @FordTimeLord said:
    I’ve lost hours just running Audiothing’s Noises into StepFX. It’s really hypnotic and lovely.

I love that all of noises parameters will record into the automation while playing. I hope developers start updating their apps to allow them to automate all at once.

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:

Out of curiosity, what benefits would the 2nd gen pencil give in Logic for iPad over the 1st gen pencil? And what extra functions do you think would be added in 3rd gen? Cheers!

I recently updated iPads / Pencils and the hover feature is a big plus.

I’d love more gestures so we could assign more hot keys / functions. And a dedicated eraser on the other end. I’d love to just erase notes by turning the pencil over

• I discovered , going deep on control surface , that for some instruments and synth you got MPE piano to play. You finger can go from the bottom to the hint of each key ,you got a red lighting as you move fingers on the keys . Wonderful.

• Anyone here that tested Korg Module Pro in Logic Pro on iPad?

Strange, but in AUv3 mode the extra IAP sounds don’t show up among the presets, only original stock instruments/patches/presets…

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Anyone here that tested Korg Module Pro in Logic Pro on iPad?

Strange, but in AUv3 mode the extra IAP sounds don’t show up among the presets, only original stock instruments/patches/presets…

It's fixable if you launch Module in standalone first.

Quit Logic with a swipe-up, open Module standalone (check your IAPs are all restored), quit Module with a swipe-up and then launch Logic again. Your patches should all now be there.