Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] Tips, Favourite Features, Discoveries and Surprises

Comments

• Has anyone gotten TONEX or thu to work? I had TONEX working yesterday but today it’s not loading. And thu says contact the developer. On 16.5

• @richardyot said:

This is one area where Logic really shines, there are so many options for grouping, sending, colouring, labelling etc... that a 40 or 50 track mix can be tamed really quickly. Cubasis by comparison really sucks at this. So far only NS2 could do this really well on iOS, but Logic does it even better.

I prefer Ableton for many things, but arranging songs is so much easier in Logic. I never get lost, and until I read this post, I hadn't really realized why. It's great.

• edited May 2023

Ok, now that I’ve figured it out, the Drum Machine Designer is where it’s at.

Dragging samples onto the pads from Sample Crate in slideover mode suddenly all makes sense.

It’s the closest thing to multi out we’re gonna get for now, as each drum pad gets its own mixer channel with fx slots etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro-ipad/lpipaccccb65/1.0/ipados/16.0

• It took me too long to remember that automation can exist on both regions and the tracks. For anyone having issues with automation not working with Auv3 - check to make sure you're not recording to a region automation lane.

• @gregsmith said:

Dragging samples onto the pads from Sample Crate in slideover mode suddenly all makes sense.

It’s the closest thing to multi out we’re gonna get for now, as each drum pad gets its own mixer channel with fx slots etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro-ipad/lpipaccccb65/1.0/ipados/16.0

Exactly.

• @gregsmith said:

DMD automatically substitutes a lot of other apps.

• Sounds like a really numpty thing that everyone else will know, but I just discovered two-fingered squeezing reduces the track heights in the main window.

• The two-finger hint in DMD when you are in edit mode to play the pad....

• @monz0id said:
    Sounds like a really numpty thing that everyone else will know, but I just discovered two-fingered squeezing reduces the track heights in the main window.

I recommend watching the Pete Johns demo video which covers the really basic operations of the app. It's really basic, but informative for anyone totally new to the concepts and operations in the app.

• Sending sessions back and forth from iPad to Mac is probably my favorite thing. Also love that it has true sends and busses unlike Cubasis which only has sends to a specific plug-in instead of a channel. The UI can get hectic but you can tell it was built with touch in mind and I’m enjoying how to do things I usually do on the desktop. Being able to actually select what input/output and sample rate independently of what the system uses is a big deal. It’s not whatever is plugged in last like it almost always has been on iPadOS/iOS. Hopefully that becomes system wide in iOS 17

• @NeuM said:

@monz0id said:
    Sounds like a really numpty thing that everyone else will know, but I just discovered two-fingered squeezing reduces the track heights in the main window.

I recommend watching the Pete Johns demo video which covers the really basic operations of the app. It's really basic, but informative for anyone totally new to the concepts and operations in the app.

Thanks yeah I will, only have a chance to dip in and out of the app at the moment due to work mountains, but will check that out later.

Not so many crashes recently, so enjoying it more now.

• @monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

Thanks yeah I will, only have a chance to dip in and out of the app at the moment due to work mountains, but will check that out later.

Not so many crashes recently, so enjoying it more now.

Ah, good to hear.

• @gregsmith said:

Not sure how well these translate the LPiOS (Not got to DMD yet), but there's a lot of seet info and examples between these 3 vids that might add more to the experience:

• Things that I absolutely like. One thing is the browser for internal instruments and samples. VERY handy feature where I can select filters to narrow down what I'm looking for. I wish we had the pictures of things like in Garageband, but honestly that's such a minor nitpick.

I love all the top quality internal effects, especially that nice LuFS Loudness Meter (eliminating the need to use Youlean's loudness meter which tends to crash in NS2, in AUM, and indeed in Logic Pro as well, which is a "Youlean" problem, not a "Logic Pro" problem). And Chromaverb is just top quality stuff! Never heard such a proper stock reverb in any other DAW app, usually resorting to external reverbs instead. (Not going to lie, I'm still going to utilise FAC Alteza in Ambient tracks.)

I love the non-Alchemy synths. They all have a simple, dry sound rather than a pre-coloured sound, so you can basically add your own sauce to the synths and make them shine. That said, if I need a synth with juice to it, I can simply use any AUv3 synth in Logic Pro and automate any of the parameters I wish (including Hilda, Buttersynth, PSP2, Module Pro, and Beathawk).

Speaking of automation, I discovered something mindblowing yesterday! Not only can I utilise track automation as is traditional in DAWs, but I can also utilise automation in a MIDI clip ala FL Studio's automation clips! 😳 Meaning I can make extended versions of EDM tracks easily. (I prefer clip automation for EDM tracks but track automation for Ambient and Lofi, and having both options is wonderful.)

Recording vocals, from the few tests I've done, is easy. At first my slow brain didn't understand how to turn off monitoring. Well it was as easy as muting the track before recording. But here's the mindblowing part. I use Bluetooth headphones/3rd-gen airpods, right? Whenever I'd record vocals into Cubasis, there's always a delay by a few MS. Logic Pro compensates the delay automatically without me having to adjust by hand! 😱 It's such a small minor detail but a massive time saver.

Then there's this function where you can select some clips, move them, and they're automatically duplicated. And this function is also in the MIDI editor as well, making editing notes a complete breeze.

And of course we all know Garageband files can be imported into Logic Pro to be polished and finished. That said, another small but excellent feature is Logic Pro saves its own version of the Garageband file once imported rather than overwriting the existing Garageband file. I've already begun my next EP in Garageband and soon plan to import those ideas into Logic Pro to develop them further. :)

I also love the fact that Logic Pro can work on an iPad Mini 6, and so I ordered one with a protective cover. I know the iPad Mini 6 isn't nearly as powerful as the full iPad Pro I use nor has as much screen realestate and has half the internal storage of my Pro, but I can pop in my airpods, lay back in bed, and go ham. (I have a 2nd Gen Apple Pencil, so no problem there for editing things. At least I don't have to stick it in the side of my iPad Mini 5 like I did with my Mini 5, which was a pain.)

All in all, Logic Pro is a great DAW on iPad that does everything I want it to, and though lacking Flex Pitch currently, we have Vocal Tune Studio for those type of operations. (Forget MusicPutty, because my one subscription to Logic Pro is plenty enough, and unlike Vocal Tune Studio which was updated 5 days ago as of this writing, Music Putty hasn't been updated in four months, therefore making the subscription to it rather useless, lol.)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Speaking of automation, I discovered something mindblowing yesterday! Not only can I utilise track automation as is traditional in DAWs, but I can also utilise automation in a MIDI clip ala FL Studio's automation clips! 😳 Meaning I can make extended versions of EDM tracks easily. (I prefer clip automation for EDM tracks but track automation for Ambient and Lofi, and having both options is wonderful.)

Wait til you try automating with pattern regions!

Parameter lock style step automation is waiting for you :-)

I posted about this on the previous page of this thread. :-)

• @klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Perhaps either of you could explain what is meant by 'automation clips'? (Not a FL Studio user here).

• @NeuM said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Perhaps either of you could explain what is meant by 'automation clips'? (Not a FL Studio user here).

It's automation within a MIDI clip rather than track automation.

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

No way! That's cool!!! Any video(s) about it? (Less than 20 minutes before I leave for my piano gig, so short on time at the moment, lol.)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Things that I absolutely like. One thing is the browser for internal instruments and samples. VERY handy feature where I can select filters to narrow down what I'm looking for. I wish we had the pictures of things like in Garageband, but honestly that's such a minor nitpick.

I love all the top quality internal effects, especially that nice LuFS Loudness Meter (eliminating the need to use Youlean's loudness meter which tends to crash in NS2, in AUM, and indeed in Logic Pro as well, which is a "Youlean" problem, not a "Logic Pro" problem). And Chromaverb is just top quality stuff! Never heard such a proper stock reverb in any other DAW app, usually resorting to external reverbs instead. (Not going to lie, I'm still going to utilise FAC Alteza in Ambient tracks.)

I love the non-Alchemy synths. They all have a simple, dry sound rather than a pre-coloured sound, so you can basically add your own sauce to the synths and make them shine. That said, if I need a synth with juice to it, I can simply use any AUv3 synth in Logic Pro and automate any of the parameters I wish (including Hilda, Buttersynth, PSP2, Module Pro, and Beathawk).

Recording vocals, from the few tests I've done, is easy. At first my slow brain didn't understand how to turn off monitoring. Well it was as easy as muting the track before recording. But here's the mindblowing part. I use Bluetooth headphones/3rd-gen airpods, right? Whenever I'd record vocals into Cubasis, there's always a delay by a few MS. Logic Pro compensates the delay automatically without me having to adjust by hand! 😱 It's such a small minor detail but a massive time saver.

Then there's this function where you can select some clips, move them, and they're automatically duplicated. And this function is also in the MIDI editor as well, making editing notes a complete breeze.

And of course we all know Garageband files can be imported into Logic Pro to be polished and finished. That said, another small but excellent feature is Logic Pro saves its own version of the Garageband file once imported rather than overwriting the existing Garageband file. I've already begun my next EP in Garageband and soon plan to import those ideas into Logic Pro to develop them further. :)

I also love the fact that Logic Pro can work on an iPad Mini 6, and so I ordered one with a protective cover. I know the iPad Mini 6 isn't nearly as powerful as the full iPad Pro I use nor has as much screen realestate and has half the internal storage of my Pro, but I can pop in my airpods, lay back in bed, and go ham. (I have a 2nd Gen Apple Pencil, so no problem there for editing things. At least I don't have to stick it in the side of my iPad Mini 5 like I did with my Mini 5, which was a pain.)

All in all, Logic Pro is a great DAW on iPad that does everything I want it to, and though lacking Flex Pitch currently, we have Vocal Tune Studio for those type of operations. (Forget MusicPutty, because my one subscription to Logic Pro is plenty enough, and unlike Vocal Tune Studio which was updated 5 days ago as of this writing, Music Putty hasn't been updated in four months, therefore making the subscription to it rather useless, lol.)

Knew that the subscription route would be a disaster for Music Putty. Would have sold pretty well if it had been a one off purchase maybe. Lovely dev but sub for that was a bad move, imo. How many new features and updates does a damn pitch correction app need 😂?

• @klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track
    2. Add a region and just add a couple of notes on two different pitches
    3. Click on region and choose split by pitch
    4. You'll get a new track that references the instrument in the original (yes, there should be a one step menu item to do this - hopefully soon)
    5. Now you can add automation-only regions to these additional "lanes"
  • @Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track
    4. You'll get a new track that references the instrument in the original (yes, there should be a one step menu item to do this - hopefully soon)

Do you know of any videos demonstrating this?

• @NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

Yeah...I'm having trouble envisioning what this workflow allows.

• @Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

A bit like how I described it on the previous page of this thread? :lol:

• Has anyone tried to record midi fx with “record midi to track here”? Seems very handy option, @el_bo, thanks for another great tip. I succeed with most apps expect audiomodern riffer and chordjam, looks like it’s something on their end. Later it’s easy to edit in logic midi editor or bounce to audio.

• @el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

I think this would allow you to have a drum player plug-in on one track but have separate tracks to program each drum - so you could mute just the snare track or whatever i.e. play the mixer.

• Think this is such a powerful feature.. Convert a midi file into a StepSeq pattern, making it editable in the step sequencer, (Probability, etc..) in key/scale…

• @el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

I posted on the previous page with a screenshot showing it.

You basically have a pattern region with a row which controls the automation parameter of your choice of the track instrument.

The screenshot on p1 should make it reasonably clear. You add lanes to the pattern region with the + button which brings up a menu where you choose what you want the row to control (note, Cc, automation etc.).

Each step can then be switched on an off and a value assigned to the parameter. A classic example is automating filter cut-off to get a gated effect. Each step can have a different value and is completely independent of the notes.

The idea behind having multiple tracks assigned to the same instrument with the trick I mentioned is that you can have the notes in a normal MIDI region and the automation in a separate pattern region.

• edited May 2023

@MadGav said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

I think this would allow you to have a drum player plug-in on one track but have separate tracks to program each drum - so you could mute just the snare track or whatever i.e. play the mixer.

Ok, thanks...I think I get it. but it's because I was imagining something different from other descriptions.

• @klownshed said:

The idea behind having multiple tracks assigned to the same instrument with the trick I mentioned is that you can have the notes in a normal MIDI region and the automation in a separate pattern region.

This last trick ties it all together. I already like being able to step-sequence FX parameters etc, but now I can have those p-locks apply only to one “note”. Really handy for slicing in the Simpler, if that works.

👍

• @klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

You basically have a pattern region with a row which controls the automation parameter of your choice of the track instrument.

The screenshot on p1 should make it reasonably clear. You add lanes to the pattern region with the + button which brings up a menu where you choose what you want the row to control (note, Cc, automation etc.).

Each step can then be switched on an off and a value assigned to the parameter. A classic example is automating filter cut-off to get a gated effect. Each step can have a different value and is completely independent of the notes.

It really what I find the most difficult to use the step seq is so deep and flexible and messy on the iPad screen , this is the powerful but tricky part to learn.

• @klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

Ok...It's definitely getting clearer. I think this is definitely a me not understanding thing, as opposed to you not explaining it well. It's been a very long day, so I think I'll come back to this tomorrow with a fresh perspective and give it a try.

Thanks for the extra explanation.