Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] Tips, Favourite Features, Discoveries and Surprises

Comments

• @cyberheater said:

@Samu said:

@cyberheater said:

@Samu said:
    ...set the region defaults to quantize to say 1/16, the quantize is non-destructive so you and adjust it after recording.

How do you do that?

With nothing selected on the track go to the inspector and set the quantize defaults for new regions.

Once you've recorded something you can for that specific region change the quantize settings or even turn them off to see how sloppily you've actually played :sunglasses:

Play around with the app and you'll get the hang of it I hope...

I can only see those options if I create a MIDI region first.

On a blank track I don't see the option for quantize.

Tap in the area where it says Track with Inst 3 under it and select region defaults and you should see the midi options.
    There's already screenshots in this thread where this mentioned and some of the other threads as well.

The manual also describes how to set region defaults...

• Thanks Samu. Took me a lot longer then I want to admit to until I found it.

• Just managed to record standalone Drambo into Logic, by using a little iConnect box as a loopback.

It works only if you launch apps in the right order, and can collapse at any point. I assume this is because, while Logic can choose its inputs and outputs independently, the system, and all the other apps, cannot.

Still, when it works properly, a quick hardware digital loopback will do the trick for IAA-type stuff, and Ableton Link will help line it all up.

• Has anyone found a trick yet where you can have mixer tracks disappear if not in use?

The drummers have a ton of instruments not in use and would be nice if they are not receiving input to hide them in the mixer to see what is actually inputting. I know I’ve done it on the Mac version.

• @cyberheater said:
    Thanks Samu. Took me a lot longer then I want to admit to until I found it.

Goodie!

These are the kind of things I practice 'music memory' for so I don't have to think when I use the app.
    My plan for day 6 with Logic was to dig into the loop grid but instead I spent time playing with audio-recording using busses.

Another thing worth to get muscle-memory for is that the tools in the tool bars have momentary functions.
    So for example when the trim tool is enabled in the piano-roll momentarily holding down the pen and tapping on the grid adds/deletes notes and when you release the pen-tool it goes back to the trim tool.

Tomorrow on Day 7 after the MicroFreak 5.0 firmware drops I'll mess with recording external midi-sequenced instruments.

By the end of next week I should in theory have covered everything there is in Logic Pro for iPad and can focus more using it...
    ...that's the way I roll.

• @NoiseHorse said:

@baconink said:

@mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    Anybody know how to make a project template yet?

Stupid workaround idea I have for this. Open a new project and then set it up how you want then exit the project. Then each time you wanna make a song or whatever with that setup just duplicate that project and use as a template? I did this with loopy pro because I was to dumb to figure out the real way to make a template. Not sure if it will work or not as it’s just an idea.

This being said, I could swear I read on here you CAN make templates but they aren’t called templates….

That’s a winner! You made my day.

Glad to be of assistance.

• @Samu said:

@cyberheater said:
    Thanks Samu. Took me a lot longer then I want to admit to until I found it.

Goodie!

These are the kind of things I practice 'music memory' for so I don't have to think when I use the app.
    My plan for day 6 with Logic was to dig into the loop grid but instead I spent time playing with audio-recording using busses.

Another thing worth to get muscle-memory for is that the tools in the tool bars have momentary functions.
    So for example when the trim tool is enabled in the piano-roll momentarily holding down the pen and tapping on the grid adds/deletes notes and when you release the pen-tool it goes back to the trim tool.

Tomorrow on Day 7 after the MicroFreak 5.0 firmware drops I'll mess with recording external midi-sequenced instruments.

By the end of next week I should in theory have covered everything there is in Logic Pro for iPad and can focus more using it...
    ...that's the way I roll.

Try long pressing on the buttons in the transport next :-)

• Hey here’s a “how I master with Logic Pro stock plugins” page. It really fixed up a rough sloppy intial project that sounded like crap earlier.
    https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/mastering/how-to-master-pop-music-with-logics-stock-plugins

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Hey here’s a “how I master with Logic Pro stock plugins” page. It really fixed up a rough sloppy intial project that sounded like crap earlier.
    https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/mastering/how-to-master-pop-music-with-logics-stock-plugins

This one is similar but goes into a little more detail in some spots and adds a few more tips.
    https://homestudioexpert.com/mastering-in-logic-pro-a-how-to-guide/

• @klownshed said:
    Here's a tip I discovered.

I like to have multiple tracks all playing the same instrument sometimes, for example on the Mac I'll put region automation on a separate track from the notes to make it easy to duplicate to other sections. Another example is with a drum kit, I might want the snare on it's own track so I can use the inspector to change the quantise, feel (i.e. adjust the delay just for that track to bring the snare forwards or backwards) and to adjust the velocity without going into an editor -- non destructively. Or I might have a few different ideas and I'm not sure which to keep, kind of like manual comping (just mute all but the one you want).

Putting the automation on a separate track can be very effective as you can loop it in a different length region to the other parts (Say an 8 bar pattern with a 7 bar automation so it's different each time through).

There's no direct way to add a track for the iPad as there is on the Mac ("New track with same instrument").

BUT you can split a region by notes (Convert->Separate by Note Pitch) which puts all the individual pitches on a separate track of the same instrument. You then get multiple regions you can Join back together, and a nice bunch of empty tracks all set to the same instrument. Hide them in a folder stack if they're in the way, or delete any excess tracks.

Another example, I like using the step editor to automate parameter lock style. But if I want to do that to an existing MIDI region I would have to convert the region to Pattern first. Which isn't always what I want.

Now I can use the above method and have both pattern and MIDI regions playing the same instrument.

Here's an example with both a MIDI region and a pattern region (for automation) playing the same instrument:

Bit of a workaround -- but it works. Better than waiting for apple to add the "New track with same instrument" command :-)

This is a genius trick!. 🙌🤟
    I can’t believe this is the only way to do it, but it works. I also like having different “layers” on an instrument, helps me have a clearer vision.
    Thanks for this!

• I’ve been surprised and impressed by Logic’s support for guitar. I’ve used Tonestack, GE Labs, Bias, Amplitube, TH-U, Rhino, Nembrini, and most recently, Tonex. (OMG, I just realized how much money I’ve blown chasing amp tones.)

Anyway, I’ve quickly become enamored with Amp Designer, all the pedals, and the guitar audio patches, many of which sound excellent on their own and all of which are easily customized to taste. And Logic’s stock plugins, like the compressor, tape delay, and modulation effects,work wonders on guitar.

The Nembrini apps look and function well within Logic and they’re the only 3rd party amp sims I’ve kept on the iPad since moving into Logic. But increasingly, I’m gravitating toward a Logic-only guitar world and I’d be very interested in learning how other guitarists are using this amazing DAW.

• @Schmotown said:
    I’ve been surprised and impressed by Logic’s support for guitar. I’ve used Tonestack, GE Labs, Bias, Amplitube, TH-U, Rhino, Nembrini, and most recently, Tonex. (OMG, I just realized how much money I’ve blown chasing amp tones.)

Anyway, I’ve quickly become enamored with Amp Designer, all the pedals, and the guitar audio patches, many of which sound excellent on their own and all of which are easily customized to taste. And Logic’s stock plugins, like the compressor, tape delay, and modulation effects,work wonders on guitar.

The Nembrini apps look and function well within Logic and they’re the only 3rd party amp sims I’ve kept on the iPad since moving into Logic. But increasingly, I’m gravitating toward a Logic-only guitar world and I’d be very interested in learning how other guitarists are using this amazing DAW.

It is not only on Logic iOS Apple care well about guitarists in GarageBand iOS co.pared to some other daws.

• As you know I bring together all videos tutorials about Logic iOS in a thread but @espiegel123 think it is a bad idea that it should be in a wiki. I here to share but as AB is a democraty please tell me if I stop to do that or I should carryon. I propose to @espiegel123 do a wiki too as I don’t want to do a wiki about Logic Pro and @espiegel123 have more experience than me for wiki.

Here the pool to decide if I stop or not to do the tutorials videos thread , it your decision guys as AB is a democratic forum :

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55721/a-thread-to-put-all-tutorials-texts-and-videos-links-about-logic-ios/p1

• @BerlinFx said:
    As you know I bring together all videos tutorials about Logic iOS in a thread but @espiegel123 think it is a bad idea that it should be in a wiki. I here to share but as AB is a democraty please tell me if I stop to do that or I should carryon. I propose to @espiegel123 do a wiki too as I don’t want to do a wiki about Logic Pro and @espiegel123 have more experience than me for wiki.

Here the pool to decide if I stop or not to do the tutorials videos thread , it your decision guys as AB is a democratic forum :

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55721/a-thread-to-put-all-tutorials-texts-and-videos-links-about-logic-ios/p1

AB Forum is not a democracy. Michael (the owner) has the final say, or the forum mods have the final say. As long as you don’t break the rules, you’re fine.

• @NeuM said:

@BerlinFx said:
    As you know I bring together all videos tutorials about Logic iOS in a thread but @espiegel123 think it is a bad idea that it should be in a wiki. I here to share but as AB is a democraty please tell me if I stop to do that or I should carryon. I propose to @espiegel123 do a wiki too as I don’t want to do a wiki about Logic Pro and @espiegel123 have more experience than me for wiki.

AB Forum is not a democracy. Michael (the owner) has the final say, or the forum mods have the final say. As long as you don’t break the rules, you’re fine.

Did I break the rules ?

• @BerlinFx said:

@NeuM said:

@BerlinFx said:

Did I break the rules ?

Not as far as I know.

• edited June 2023

Found a cool one. This is probably nothing to the desktop folks, but it’s something I’ve been after for a while in an iOS daw - slice to midi, with a midi pattern created with the slices arranged perfectly in time.

Auditor does it I hear, and Neon does it. Auditor I don’t have and it’s not auv3 I don’t think? Neon doesn’t let you turn off its warp mode (last time I checked) which affects the quality and isn’t really necessary for breaks imo as I want them to pitch up when they speed up.

Anyway…

Quick Sampler has this lovely little menu item:

Tap on the timeline and paste at playhead:

Lovely.

• @gregsmith said:
    Found a cool one. This is probably nothing to the desktop folks, but it’s something I’ve been after for a while in an iOS daw - slice to midi, with a midi pattern created with the slices arranged perfectly in time.

Auditor does it I hear, and Neon does it. Auditor I don’t have and it’s not auv3 I don’t think? Neon doesn’t let you turn off its warp mode (last time I checked) which affects the quality and isn’t really necessary for breaks imo as I want them to pitch up when they speed up.

Anyway…

Lovely.

Nice, Thanks..

Reminds me of FLStudio’s Slicer..

• @gregsmith said:

Anyway…

Lovely.

Yeah, lovely menu!

A matter of facts, it took me several days to discover this menu in QuickSampler - that three small dots to point at isn’t that obvious…

• @Schmotown said:

I’d be very interested in learning how other guitarists are using this amazing DAW.

I tend to use hardware effects and amp emulation instead of software ones. Which is what I’m doing for my current project in Logic. It’s a surf-style tune, so just Boss CP-1X and Source Audio True Spring into my Humboldt & DSM Simplifier.

I’ll probably use a software amp for the bass, though.

I do have a tune I recorded in GarageBand for iPad where I just used one of the guitar presets: Chrome Clean. And that seemed to come over fine into Logic.

But I’m not your typical guitar tone chaser. I’m actually happy using my JC40 with the built-in distortion. My favorite (mono) dirt pedal is the digital Boss DA-2. Although that may just be because I haven’t yet spent enough time digging into the Source Audio Ultrawave. And the other day I just ran the Nembrini Ratt through AnyAmpIR and Chorus D and got a sound I was very happy with.

• The Smart Tempo feature looks pretty useful: record a free-flowing acoustic performance and you can get Logic to analyse the tempo and create a matching grid, so that you can then add drums or percussion after the fact. I definitely want to try this out.

• @richardyot said:
    The Smart Tempo feature looks pretty useful: record a free-flowing acoustic performance and you can get Logic to analyse the tempo and create a matching grid, so that you can then add drums or percussion after the fact. I definitely want to try this out.

Pete Johns did a LONG stream on recording live with Logic without using a metronome with extensive use of tempo-automation etc.

• @richardyot said:
    The Smart Tempo feature looks pretty useful: record a free-flowing acoustic performance and you can get Logic to analyse the tempo and create a matching grid, so that you can then add drums or percussion after the fact. I definitely want to try this out.

This is how it should work in an ideal scenario. In my real-life desktop tests the results ran from the "well, not bad" to the "y tho". Understandably, it seems to need some strong rhythmic element (like the guitars in your songs) to base its calculations on, so good luck with slower non-rhythmic pieces 🙂

• @ervin said:

@richardyot said:

This is how it should work in an ideal scenario. In my real-life desktop tests the results ran from the "well, not bad" to the "y tho". Understandably, it seems to need some strong rhythmic element (like the guitars in your songs) to base its calculations on, so good luck with slower non-rhythmic pieces 🙂

I'm assuming it uses the same engine as Music Memos, which I've used for years. The results (with guitar and voice) are pretty good, so for my purposes I think it should work OK.

• @Samu said:
    Pete Johns did a LONG stream on recording live with Logic without using a metronome with extensive use of tempo-automation etc.

This was intriguing, and started my thinking about LP down a different, more positive path.

• @gregsmith said:

Anyway…

Lovely.

Also you can drag any region (audio or midi) to the area below the tracks list to do this too. You also have the choice to make a drum designer instrument from the slices. Good stuff.

• Logic can quantize audio?!?

• @dokwok2 said:
    Logic can quantize audio?!?

Yes, you can apply quantization to recorded audio...
    ...it does behind the scene transient detection (Flex Time) on recorded audio, so in practice it's ready for 'warping' etc. but the UI is not fully there yet...

• @dokwok2 said:
    Logic can quantize audio?!?

Yep. So can GarageBand.

• Nice little production video by Warren Huart from the Produce Like A Pro YouTube channel: