Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] Tips, Favourite Features, Discoveries and Surprises

Comments

• @Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Things that I absolutely like. One thing is the browser for internal instruments and samples. VERY handy feature where I can select filters to narrow down what I'm looking for. I wish we had the pictures of things like in Garageband, but honestly that's such a minor nitpick.

I love all the top quality internal effects, especially that nice LuFS Loudness Meter (eliminating the need to use Youlean's loudness meter which tends to crash in NS2, in AUM, and indeed in Logic Pro as well, which is a "Youlean" problem, not a "Logic Pro" problem). And Chromaverb is just top quality stuff! Never heard such a proper stock reverb in any other DAW app, usually resorting to external reverbs instead. (Not going to lie, I'm still going to utilise FAC Alteza in Ambient tracks.)

I love the non-Alchemy synths. They all have a simple, dry sound rather than a pre-coloured sound, so you can basically add your own sauce to the synths and make them shine. That said, if I need a synth with juice to it, I can simply use any AUv3 synth in Logic Pro and automate any of the parameters I wish (including Hilda, Buttersynth, PSP2, Module Pro, and Beathawk).

Speaking of automation, I discovered something mindblowing yesterday! Not only can I utilise track automation as is traditional in DAWs, but I can also utilise automation in a MIDI clip ala FL Studio's automation clips! 😳 Meaning I can make extended versions of EDM tracks easily. (I prefer clip automation for EDM tracks but track automation for Ambient and Lofi, and having both options is wonderful.)

Recording vocals, from the few tests I've done, is easy. At first my slow brain didn't understand how to turn off monitoring. Well it was as easy as muting the track before recording. But here's the mindblowing part. I use Bluetooth headphones/3rd-gen airpods, right? Whenever I'd record vocals into Cubasis, there's always a delay by a few MS. Logic Pro compensates the delay automatically without me having to adjust by hand! 😱 It's such a small minor detail but a massive time saver.

Then there's this function where you can select some clips, move them, and they're automatically duplicated. And this function is also in the MIDI editor as well, making editing notes a complete breeze.

And of course we all know Garageband files can be imported into Logic Pro to be polished and finished. That said, another small but excellent feature is Logic Pro saves its own version of the Garageband file once imported rather than overwriting the existing Garageband file. I've already begun my next EP in Garageband and soon plan to import those ideas into Logic Pro to develop them further. :)

I also love the fact that Logic Pro can work on an iPad Mini 6, and so I ordered one with a protective cover. I know the iPad Mini 6 isn't nearly as powerful as the full iPad Pro I use nor has as much screen realestate and has half the internal storage of my Pro, but I can pop in my airpods, lay back in bed, and go ham. (I have a 2nd Gen Apple Pencil, so no problem there for editing things. At least I don't have to stick it in the side of my iPad Mini 5 like I did with my Mini 5, which was a pain.)

All in all, Logic Pro is a great DAW on iPad that does everything I want it to, and though lacking Flex Pitch currently, we have Vocal Tune Studio for those type of operations. (Forget MusicPutty, because my one subscription to Logic Pro is plenty enough, and unlike Vocal Tune Studio which was updated 5 days ago as of this writing, Music Putty hasn't been updated in four months, therefore making the subscription to it rather useless, lol.)

Knew that the subscription route would be a disaster for Music Putty. Would have sold pretty well if it had been a one off purchase maybe. Lovely dev but sub for that was a bad move, imo. How many new features and updates does a damn pitch correction app need 😂?

Exactly! 🤣 Logic Pro's sub makes sense since it's still in development and will still continue to get new content, maintenance updates, and "new" (missing from the desktop) features for years to come.

Not so with Music Putty, and one Vocal Tune Studio was released, that basically blew Music Putty out of the water.

• @klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Speaking of automation, I discovered something mindblowing yesterday! Not only can I utilise track automation as is traditional in DAWs, but I can also utilise automation in a MIDI clip ala FL Studio's automation clips! 😳 Meaning I can make extended versions of EDM tracks easily. (I prefer clip automation for EDM tracks but track automation for Ambient and Lofi, and having both options is wonderful.)

Wait til you try automating with pattern regions!

Parameter lock style step automation is waiting for you :-)

I posted about this on the previous page of this thread. :-)

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track
    2. Add a region and just add a couple of notes on two different pitches
    3. Click on region and choose split by pitch
    4. You'll get a new track that references the instrument in the original (yes, there should be a one step menu item to do this - hopefully soon)
    5. Now you can add automation-only regions to these additional "lanes"

Do you know of any videos demonstrating this?

Yeah...I'm having trouble envisioning what this workflow allows.

I posted on the previous page with a screenshot showing it.

You basically have a pattern region with a row which controls the automation parameter of your choice of the track instrument.

The screenshot on p1 should make it reasonably clear. You add lanes to the pattern region with the + button which brings up a menu where you choose what you want the row to control (note, Cc, automation etc.).

Each step can then be switched on an off and a value assigned to the parameter. A classic example is automating filter cut-off to get a gated effect. Each step can have a different value and is completely independent of the notes.

The idea behind having multiple tracks assigned to the same instrument with the trick I mentioned is that you can have the notes in a normal MIDI region and the automation in a separate pattern region.

Ok...Was a brain-fart moment. Had forgotten this was referring to the sequencer, whereas I was thinking of split-by-note functionality in the arrangement page, for drum-designer. Will try it out. Thanks.

• edited May 2023

@el_bo said:

@klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track
    4. You'll get a new track that references the instrument in the original (yes, there should be a one step menu item to do this - hopefully soon)

You basically have a pattern region with a row which controls the automation parameter of your choice of the track instrument.

The screenshot on p1 should make it reasonably clear. You add lanes to the pattern region with the + button which brings up a menu where you choose what you want the row to control (note, Cc, automation etc.).

Each step can then be switched on an off and a value assigned to the parameter. A classic example is automating filter cut-off to get a gated effect. Each step can have a different value and is completely independent of the notes.

The idea behind having multiple tracks assigned to the same instrument with the trick I mentioned is that you can have the notes in a normal MIDI region and the automation in a separate pattern region.

Ok...Was a brain-fart moment. Had forgotten this was referring to the sequencer, whereas I was thinking of split-by-note functionality in the arrangement page, for drum-designer. Will try it out. Thanks.

I've consolidated this tip in this post:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55799/logic-how-to-use-pattern-regions-for-step-parameter-lock-automation/p1?new=1

I hope it makes sense :-)

I don[t have my iPad with me so going on memory, I may have missed a step or two but there should be enough there for people to figure it out and do crazy shit I'd never thought of with it too.

Logic Pro might appear like Logic Lite or GB Pro to a lot of people around here, but it's got a ton of power under the surface if you're prepared to dig in :-)

• @klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55799/logic-how-to-use-pattern-regions-for-step-parameter-lock-automation/p1?new=1

I don[t have my iPad with me so going on memory, I may have missed a step or two but there should be enough there for people to figure it out and do crazy shit I'd never thought of with it too.

Logic Pro might appear like Logic Lite or GB Pro to a lot of people around here, but it's got a ton of power under the surface if you're prepared to dig in :-)

Be prepared for many weeks dedicated to learn LP iOS, it is not for lazy people scraping only the surface 😂 and it was worst to lean a bit deep LP Mac many months for me some years ago.

• New videos tutorials selected today , I try to select only best tutorials LP IPad coming each day

What h regularly this Audiobus thread :

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55721/a-thread-to-put-all-tutorials-texts-and-videos-links-about-logic-ios#latest

• @klownshed said:

Thanks for doing that. Will definitely take it for a spin...right after I've managed to get over this morning's Logic revelation 😮😮

@klownshed said:

Well I am one of those people, though my opinion is not to be taken as a slight against the app; rather, in pointing out that this really is not (quite/currently) Logic Pro, I'm just making a literal statement of fact. And yes, I'ma completely caveat my position by acknowledging its current 'Day one' status being very likely to change. I just disagree with the notion that it will eventually contain everything that LP on the desktop has.

And that's ok. I'd also be very happy to be shown to be wrong.

Either way, missing features aside, none of this negates how deep and powerful LPiOS is, in its current incarnation. If anything, in shoe-horning in all that they've so far managed to do, I'm finding it quite an overwhelming experience in use. I know why that is, and how I'll eventually likely find my way, but for the moment (for me) this feels like a case of "Be careful what you wish for".

Anyway..."Poco a poco" as they say in sunny Spain.

Thanks again 👍🏼

• @el_bo said:

@klownshed said:

Thanks for doing that. Will definitely take it for a spin...right after I've managed to get over this morning's Logic revelation 😮😮

@klownshed said:

Well I am one of those people, though my opinion is not to be taken as a slight against the app; rather, in pointing out that this really is not (quite/currently) Logic Pro, I'm just making a literal statement of fact. And yes, I'ma completely caveat my position by acknowledging its current 'Day one' status being very likely to change. I just disagree with the notion that it will eventually contain everything that LP on the desktop has.

Either way, missing features aside, none of this negates how deep and powerful LPiOS is, in its current incarnation. If anything, in shoe-horning in all that they've so far managed to do, I'm finding it quite an overwhelming experience in use. I know why that is, and how I'll eventually likely find my way, but for the moment (for me) this feels like a case of "Be careful what you wish for".

Thanks again 👍🏼

Updated after update seems Apple rewrite also too old features inside LP Mac to make them more in the way it is in LP iOS so you need to watc( what happen in desktop side release 10..7.8 and after and what happens to LP ios.

It is really a work in progress for both side.

• @BerlinFx said:

@el_bo said:

@klownshed said:

@klownshed said:

Thanks again 👍🏼

Updated after update seems Apple rewrite also too old features inside LP Mac to make them more in the way it is in LP iOS so you need to watc( what happen in desktop side release 10..7.8 and after and what happens to LP ios.

It is really a work in progress for both side.

Indeed! Been using Logic since 2005, so I've seen it all. In Apple's defence, the majority of that change has been positive.

But LPiOS has perhaps started to carve out a slightly different path, which I'd actually prefer (at least, much more than I want the desktop version to have to fall in line with the iPad version).

• Not really a trick but Drummer track on a DMD blew my mind yesterday. I think this app is the first one in awhile where I do something or try something and my jaw is dropped lol. Maybe I’m easy to please :P

• Most lovable ‘work as intended’ feature in iOS Logic Pro will be “The Arrow”!

I love it so much that I started to have nightmares already! 😳

• @el_bo said:

Indeed! Been using Logic since 2005,

Newbie :-)

• @Luxthor said:
    Most lovable ‘work as intended’ feature in iOS Logic Pro will be “The Arrow”!

Unless you want or need to revert to the previously saved version....
    ...it's too easy to mess up existing projects by 'accidentally' changing a parameter or two only to find no way to go back...
    (Undo should have an option to revert to the previously saved version).

• @klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

Indeed! Been using Logic since 2005,

Newbie :-)

🤣

Yeah...I first used the, erm...'free' copy of Logic 5 for the PC. Came on a disc with the free version of Cubase SX. Who'd-a-thunk that two professional software companies would've given away their stuff for free? Better times 😉

First paid copy was version 7, around 2007. Haven't looked back.

How long have you been tied to the ol' ball 'n' chain?

• @Samu said:

'Undo' should also have a 'Redo' right by its side. That's already tripped me up a few times when it undid something a lot more significant than I imagined it would ☹️

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:

'Undo' should also have a 'Redo' right by its side. That's already tripped me up a few times when it undid something a lot more significant than I imagined it would ☹️

It is a bit annoying indeed more significant.

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:

You can long-press for redo.

• @richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

@Samu said:

You can long-press for redo.

Thanks for RTFMSIDHT ;)

• @Samu said:
    Unless you want or need to revert to the previously saved version....
    ...it's too easy to mess up existing projects by 'accidentally' changing a parameter or two only to find no way to go back...

I’m not a young man anymore, but I can’t really recall any professional software that you can just with one click find yourself like a donkey staring at a bunch of files in disbelief.

• Anybody know how to make a project template yet?

• @klownshed said:
    Here's a tip I discovered.

I like to have multiple tracks all playing the same instrument sometimes, for example on the Mac I'll put region automation on a separate track from the notes to make it easy to duplicate to other sections. Another example is with a drum kit, I might want the snare on it's own track so I can use the inspector to change the quantise, feel (i.e. adjust the delay just for that track to bring the snare forwards or backwards) and to adjust the velocity without going into an editor -- non destructively. Or I might have a few different ideas and I'm not sure which to keep, kind of like manual comping (just mute all but the one you want).

Putting the automation on a separate track can be very effective as you can loop it in a different length region to the other parts (Say an 8 bar pattern with a 7 bar automation so it's different each time through).

There's no direct way to add a track for the iPad as there is on the Mac ("New track with same instrument").

BUT you can split a region by notes (Convert->Separate by Note Pitch) which puts all the individual pitches on a separate track of the same instrument. You then get multiple regions you can Join back together, and a nice bunch of empty tracks all set to the same instrument. Hide them in a folder stack if they're in the way, or delete any excess tracks.

Another example, I like using the step editor to automate parameter lock style. But if I want to do that to an existing MIDI region I would have to convert the region to Pattern first. Which isn't always what I want.

Now I can use the above method and have both pattern and MIDI regions playing the same instrument.

Here's an example with both a MIDI region and a pattern region (for automation) playing the same instrument:

Bit of a workaround -- but it works. Better than waiting for apple to add the "New track with same instrument" command :-)

You should also be able to do this with a track stack, where the midi is on the stack master track. That’s how logic sets it up when you use the producer drum kits. Well, sort of I guess- in the case of drums where you want each drum note on its own track you would still do the split by midi note function. But if those are all in a stack they will point to the main instrument.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Anybody know how to make a project template yet?

I think that goes hand-in-hand with the rather obtuse file handling (no way to close without saving, no way to "save as..."). You need to be able to do things like that in order to work with templates. Hopefully this will improve.

• edited May 2023

@mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:

I think that goes hand-in-hand with the rather obtuse file handling (no way to close without saving, no way to "save as..."). You need to be able to do things like that in order to work with templates. Hopefully this will improve.

I doubt it, Apple has decided (in all their apps) that "Save as" is of the devil and an "outdated" concept. Indeed "Save" is an outdated concept to them, it should all just automatically work like "magic". What they're missing is that this is OK for extremely simple apps with simple interactions with small simple amounts of data, and not for dealing with complex projects where you want to keep multiple snapshots and copies and need to be sure of the current state etc... but oh well!

• @SevenSystems said:

@mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:

I doubt it, Apple has decided (in all their apps) that "Save as" is of the devil and an "outdated" concept. Indeed "Save" is an outdated concept to them, it should all just automatically work like "magic". What they're missing is that this is OK for extremely simple apps with simple interactions with small simple amounts of data, and not for dealing with complex projects where you want to keep multiple snapshots and copies and need to be sure of the current state etc... but oh well!

You may be right. I suppose I could be happy if they introduced some sort of versioning/snapshotting scheme but a couple times now I've lost work owing to this behavior. Something needs to change.

• edited May 2023

@klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

A cool trick:

1. Create a midi track

This is incredibly useful to me thanks! It is likely to be obsoleting a lot of midi AUV3s for me.
    I loved synced parameter step automation. (It’s tedious with a pencil)

• @mrufino1 said:

@klownshed said:
    Here's a tip I discovered.

I like to have multiple tracks all playing the same instrument sometimes, for example on the Mac I'll put region automation on a separate track from the notes to make it easy to duplicate to other sections. Another example is with a drum kit, I might want the snare on it's own track so I can use the inspector to change the quantise, feel (i.e. adjust the delay just for that track to bring the snare forwards or backwards) and to adjust the velocity without going into an editor -- non destructively. Or I might have a few different ideas and I'm not sure which to keep, kind of like manual comping (just mute all but the one you want).

Putting the automation on a separate track can be very effective as you can loop it in a different length region to the other parts (Say an 8 bar pattern with a 7 bar automation so it's different each time through).

There's no direct way to add a track for the iPad as there is on the Mac ("New track with same instrument").

BUT you can split a region by notes (Convert->Separate by Note Pitch) which puts all the individual pitches on a separate track of the same instrument. You then get multiple regions you can Join back together, and a nice bunch of empty tracks all set to the same instrument. Hide them in a folder stack if they're in the way, or delete any excess tracks.

Another example, I like using the step editor to automate parameter lock style. But if I want to do that to an existing MIDI region I would have to convert the region to Pattern first. Which isn't always what I want.

Now I can use the above method and have both pattern and MIDI regions playing the same instrument.

Here's an example with both a MIDI region and a pattern region (for automation) playing the same instrument:

Bit of a workaround -- but it works. Better than waiting for apple to add the "New track with same instrument" command :-)

You should also be able to do this with a track stack, where the midi is on the stack master track. That’s how logic sets it up when you use the producer drum kits. Well, sort of I guess- in the case of drums where you want each drum note on its own track you would still do the split by midi note function. But if those are all in a stack they will point to the main instrument.

Sort of, but you can’t put the automation track on the top level as you can’t choose parameters from any instruments in the stack and this means you can’t do ‘normal’ automation simultaneously on the midi region.

Having separate tracks pointing to the same instrument works better I think and you can obviously pack them away into folder stack.

Besides, I like having multiple tracks of the same instrument for lots of reasons (for example being able to control regions’ parameters such as quantise settings and delay separately).

• @SevenSystems said:

@mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:

I use project alternatives a shed load on the mac. Almost every project end up having alternatives as I play with arrangements etc. Would be cool to get them for iPad too.

• @mjm1138 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:

You may be right. I suppose I could be happy if they introduced some sort of versioning/snapshotting scheme but a couple times now I've lost work owing to this behavior. Something needs to change.

Until we get something better, you can close the project, long press on it and then Duplicate. Basically the same as Save As. Hope I’m not telling you something you already knew!

• edited May 2023

@mjm1138 said:

@NoiseHorse said:

Stupid workaround idea I have for this. Open a new project and then set it up how you want then exit the project. Then each time you wanna make a song or whatever with that setup just duplicate that project and use as a template? I did this with loopy pro because I was to dumb to figure out the real way to make a template. Not sure if it will work or not as it’s just an idea.

This being said, I could swear I read on here you CAN make templates but they aren’t called templates….

• My fav trick is creating a drummer track and getting a great groove down then making it MIDI and copying the notes I want out of there and creating my own drum tracks with it. Once done throw the drummer back to audio for more pattern creating if you want.

• edited May 2023

@Luxthor said:
    Most lovable ‘work as intended’ feature in iOS Logic Pro will be “The Arrow”!

Lol that is terrible I hit it so many times. It’s needs a different icon. I have a feeling they were forced to do that though by the internal iPadOS UX style police