Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wires by AudioThing and Hainbach (Released)

Comments

• @dreamrobe said:

@Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:
    A soviet recorder that cannot record. I guess it can't get any more broken than that.
    Would I have bought it anyway if I knew that beforehand? Probably not, but now that I have it I try to make most out of and with it.

Didn't you watch any videos of what it is and what it does before you bought it?

I guess you can always get a refund from the app store.

Nope, I only read the whole wires page on the audiothing website and it is nowhere mentioned. Not on the website and not in the App Store description. ONLY FX - NO RECORDING is what I would have liked to read in the app description.

A soviet recorder that doesn't record. That's a 16€ joke and I´m still laughing so it was worth it.

Just call it a soviet tape effect, but not a recorder.

That’s a good point. Putting the word “effect” in the name would be more accurate.

• Yeah, would be no harm done in mentioning somewhere early in the app store description - if it is not already mentioned, that this emulates (with some additional desirable features) the sound of the recorder without actually recording any audio. Again though, there is really not much need for this to be a recorder. I can see though that someone not deep into the ios ecosystem who had got Gauss and just used it standalone on ipad to do field recordings might think that this could be used in a similar way, given the app title.

• I agree that the UI is very small on the phone. Just like Gauss. It takes a little time with the iPad version to grow familiar with what the controls do, then using the app on the phone is easy because you no longer need to see the labels.

• @Slush said:

@dreamrobe said:

@Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:
    A soviet recorder that cannot record. I guess it can't get any more broken than that.
    Would I have bought it anyway if I knew that beforehand? Probably not, but now that I have it I try to make most out of and with it.

Didn't you watch any videos of what it is and what it does before you bought it?

Nope, I only read the whole wires page on the audiothing website and it is nowhere mentioned. Not on the website and not in the App Store description. ONLY FX - NO RECORDING is what I would have liked to read in the app description.

A soviet recorder that doesn't record. That's a 16€ joke and I´m still laughing so it was worth it.

But you can record in a DAW/AUM/Apematrix, whatever. What is the point of recording with the app itself? I don’t get it. The same goes for any tape sim we have on iOS, none records, only fx! Does Toneboosters menioned this on their website about Reelbus: ‘only fx - no recording’?

The point is that the developer is calling the app 'Wires - Soviet Wire Recorder'. Toneboosters never mentioned that Reelbus is a recorder, so that's a difference. To call it 'Wires- Soviet Wire Recorder' you can expect that the app can record itself, but it's a FX with the modified sound pass-through. So the app discription is a bit misleading.

• I'm so glad I don't mess with iPhone music. Screen use is brutal on the eyes, and the smaller the screen the worse the effect. The larger the screen and the further away the screen is kept from the eyes, the more movement the eyes make, and more blinking, both of which are important for eyesight and vision (yep, eyesight and vision are not the same)

• @Pierre118 said:

@Slush said:

@dreamrobe said:

@Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:

But you can record in a DAW/AUM/Apematrix, whatever. What is the point of recording with the app itself? I don’t get it. The same goes for any tape sim we have on iOS, none records, only fx! Does Toneboosters menioned this on their website about Reelbus: ‘only fx - no recording’?

The point is that the developer is calling the app 'Wires - Soviet Wire Recorder'. Toneboosters never mentioned that Reelbus is a recorder, so that's a difference. To call it 'Wires- Soviet Wire Recorder' you can expect that the app can record itself, but it's a FX with the modified sound pass-through. So the app discription is a bit misleading.

I suppose you're right, although the app is not actually Soviet, and nor does it use wires in the recording (which it does not do either). The complaint is fair, though, and I think you would be justified in getting a refund if you don't have a DAW or any way to use it. But if you get a refund, you'll lose the ability to complain, so choose wisely!

• So…probably a stupid question but does Wires always have the clicky, crackly sound in the background? I’m assuming that’s part of the “sound” and appeal of it but just curious if it’s always present?

• @mtenk said:
    So…probably a stupid question but does Wires always have the clicky, crackly sound in the background? I’m assuming that’s part of the “sound” and appeal of it but just curious if it’s always present?

No, you can turn the ‘clicks’ knob to zero, and doing the same for ‘noise’ and ‘motor’ makes it sound more clean.

• @Slush said:

@mtenk said:
    So…probably a stupid question but does Wires always have the clicky, crackly sound in the background? I’m assuming that’s part of the “sound” and appeal of it but just curious if it’s always present?

No, you can turn the ‘clicks’ knob to zero, and doing the same for ‘noise’ and ‘motor’ makes it sound more clean.

Ok. Thanks! For some reason I thought it always had that effect going. I watched the Sound Test Room video and it seems like even with the Click knob turned down it was still subtly audible. I guess I need to revisit the video!

• The clicks can be too much, and from my experiments I have done with it so far I prefer to turn them off.> @mtenk said:

@Slush said:

@mtenk said:

Ok. Thanks! For some reason I thought it always had that effect going. I watched the Sound Test Room video and it seems like even with the Click knob turned down it was still subtly audible. I guess I need to revisit the video!

The clicks can be too much for me, and from the experiments I have done with it so far I prefer to turn them off.

• @mtenk said:

No you can get it pretty clean if you turn everything down, but it is still affecting the sound. It is pretty subtle, compared to most of the audio demos I watched. Like a subtle EQ or Filter still affecting the audio going through.
    But, that was with the Mix cranked up to full effect. Roll the Mix way back to like 20% and it is very subtle.

The crackles are mostly controlled with the Clicks and Drops knobs, and the Hiss/Hum and Motor knobs add in a static-interference type of noise.

• @dreamrobe said:

@Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:

Fair enough.

BTW: if you get a leak in your roof don't buy a bucket brigade delay - it is not a real bucket.

• @Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:

@Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:

Fair enough.

BTW: if you get a leak in your roof don't buy a bucket brigade delay - it is not a real bucket.

:lol:

• edited January 2023

@drewhino said:

@gravytop said:

@bleep said:

@drewhino said:

@bleep said:
    Will this get you to places that the UA bundle can't, or do they cover the same ground? I kind of want it, but hesitate splurging on every new bright and shiny app.

i love both equally so far. i’d say UA has a more modern take on its degradation of the sound. very glitchy and the noise has lots of movement and characteristic. Wires has a more full and ghostly sound. very deep and hollow sound that it puts your signal through. i think it’s fantastic. both in conjunction could be fun.

I picked it up, they are indeed both great.

The easter egg sounds are a nice addition. One thing @audiothing for an even better feature would be to have vocal slices on one playhead and in-between slices on the other. Adding the vocals puts a lot of "Here is Wires" on your track, whereas the in-betweens are just some nice textures.

I completely agree with @drwhino’s characterization of the difference between a UA sound and Wire’s. UA’s Silo is so much fun to play with, and can spit out some great quasi-rhythmic-retro-futuristic noise with all the arcane sonic parameters to fiddle with . I’m quite enjoying Wires, but Silo made me a believer, so ended up getting Tails and the rest of the plugins in that bundle.

damn thats sick! tbh i only use silo and lofi af. havent even got tails. whats the best/most unique thing about tails you think?

You know, I'm going to have to listen to it closer. I kind of grabbed it because I have app-buying compulsion, and haven't really checked it out methodically yet. While the other UA apps often seem to be designed to break sounds, this one is intended to produce reverb that is more musical. i'll report back once I have a better understanding. But UA's vinyl and lo-fi plugins are great. I think of them as kind of punk filters, while Wires is more ... steampunk?

• To be fair we have to say, they could have made this iPad only easily. So I actually can cope the compromises coming with wires on a

@dreamrobe said:
    UI is not scaleable, so the controls are TINY on an iPhone.

• Other than the perhaps slightly misleading name, is no one else having problems with this app? I have Senode playing model D, Model 15 and Swam clarinet, sounding good. I stick one instance of wires on the model D and the DSP in AUM maxes out. Unusable, frankly.

• @Kashi never encountered that, best message the dev, probably ideally through their website

• @Kashi said:
    Other than the perhaps slightly misleading name, is no one else having problems with this app? I have Senode playing model D, Model 15 and Swam clarinet, sounding good. I stick one instance of wires on the model D and the DSP in AUM maxes out. Unusable, frankly.

What hardware are you running and what buffer settings?

Those are some CPU-intensive plugins—especially if any have their u.i.s open.

• edited January 2023

Turning off the animation in the menu might help with dsp issues

• and I would throw in: which iPad? iPhone? iOS version?

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:
    Other than the perhaps slightly misleading name, is no one else having problems with this app? I have Senode playing model D, Model 15 and Swam clarinet, sounding good. I stick one instance of wires on the model D and the DSP in AUM maxes out. Unusable, frankly.

• @david_2017 said:
    and I would throw in: which iPad? iPhone? iOS version?

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

And I'd also ask buffer size.

But those are hefty apps... Did you go from 80% to max? 20% to max?

Wires is about as intensive as a moderately hungry reverb like blackhole or rymdigare for me on an iPad 2018 with all cores used in AUM.

• If you like the Easter egg thing, WebSDR has been a fun combo with this. I have some creepy ass stuff going on with WebSDR, esoteric synth, fundamental, and sinusedo and wires right now

• @Kashi said:

The Moog and SWAM apps are real cpu hogs.

• Wires is quickly becoming my favourite processor.

There is so much you can do with it, way beyond just a lo-fi/tape sim app.

• We have just updated Wires iOS to v1.2.2:

• Long press on knobs for fine tuning
    • Improved memory usage

You should now be able to load more instances of Wires :smile:

• @audiothing said:
    We have just updated Wires iOS to v1.2.2:

• Long press on knobs for fine tuning
    • Improved memory usage

You should now be able to load more instances of Wires :smile:

Thanks for getting this important update out so quickly Carlo 🎉

• Great, love Wires, working on something with 3 instances, love the degrading echo feedback.

• I have the AU version of this one - it indeed sounds beautiful.
    But I dont get those photorealistic GUIs with rusty screws and animation - total waste of screen space and turning virtual knobs on a flatscreen is totally astupid imho.

The GUI of FLUSS is much better.

• @mofateam said:
    I have the AU version of this one - it indeed sounds beautiful.
    But I dont get those photorealistic GUIs with rusty screws and animation - total waste of screen space and turning virtual knobs on a flatscreen is totally astupid imho.

The GUI of FLUSS is much better.

Which also has virtual knobs