Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wires by AudioThing and Hainbach (Released)

Comments

• So amazing as an echo!

• Yeah I got this just for the sound coloring and didn’t even realize how absolutely nuts the echo is on it, I’m getting just absolutely glorious overtones and shit going on with the feedback

• @bleep said:
    Will this get you to places that the UA bundle can't, or do they cover the same ground? I kind of want it, but hesitate splurging on every new bright and shiny app.

i love both equally so far. i’d say UA has a more modern take on its degradation of the sound. very glitchy and the noise has lots of movement and characteristic. Wires has a more full and ghostly sound. very deep and hollow sound that it puts your signal through. i think it’s fantastic. both in conjunction could be fun.

• @Slush said:
    I hope Alborosie Dub and OuterSpace are among the 10 iOS ports, but he has way more cool stuff. But who knows in time everything gets ported. I cannot think of any lame Audiothing fx, maybe I want one more than the other. And the drummachines.. B)

Alborosie Dub is incredible. King Tubby’s delay and reverb are the obvious attraction, but the surprise for me was the filter. It’s insanely musical. It adds a 3D presence like nothing else I’ve heard. The simplicity of the controls belies their impact. Really wonderful.

• @Gavinski said:

@DarkAum3o said:
    @Gavinski
    Bro, I have no idea if I need this. You could really help me to decide. If you make any walkthrough/tutorial I would be thankful if I could hear some psy/experimental ☺️🙏🏽

Yeah for sure, unfortunately the dev did not put me on beta, so might take a day or two before I get a vid out, but don't worry, it'll be plenty experimental!

Yeahhh….most of the time I really buy apps because of you😌. All YTers are excellent, but you’re the one comes often close to what I need to hear before I buy an app👽🤖☠️👾👽

P.s. the skull stands for deep & dark sounds😝

• edited January 2023

I impulsive grabbedly my copy today, but haven't had too much time to investigate it yet. I'm wondering if you can load clips to overlay instead of the built in vocal samples? Not that I can see. In any case, I'm looking forward to playing with this...

• @DarkAum3o said:

@Gavinski said:

@DarkAum3o said:
    @Gavinski
    Bro, I have no idea if I need this. You could really help me to decide. If you make any walkthrough/tutorial I would be thankful if I could hear some psy/experimental ☺️🙏🏽

Yeah for sure, unfortunately the dev did not put me on beta, so might take a day or two before I get a vid out, but don't worry, it'll be plenty experimental!

Yeahhh….most of the time I really buy apps because of you😌. All YTers are excellent, but you’re the one comes often close to what I need to hear before I buy an app👽🤖☠️👾👽

P.s. the skull stands for deep & dark sounds😝

Ah so that's what the skulls are, cheers Sascha! 😂👽🤖☠️👾👽👍

• @audiothing said:
    Guys, thanks very much for the nice feedback! We are very happy that you are enjoying Wires!

@Kashi said:
    Hmm. Lots of issues here, very buggy. Anyone else having problems? I’m on a 6th gen iPad, os 15.1.
    I have two instances of swam clarinet open in AUM, both going through an instance of Wires. They play fine, but when I open a 3rd channel and then add a node to put fx on that channel, both Wires crash . @audiothing

I've just tested this and I was able to load 8 instances (iPad Air 4th gen) in AUM before iOS decided to kill all of them. It's a memory limit issue. I've already found a workaround (now loading 15+ instances without issues) and we'll be testing this extensively in the following days.

Thanks for your response. When you say it’s a memory limit issue, is there something I can do to rectify the problem?

• @gravytop said:
    I impulsive grabbedly my copy today, but haven't had too much time to investigate it yet. I'm wondering if you can load clips to overlay instead of the built in vocal samples? Not that I can see. In any case, I'm looking forward to playing with this...

I don’t think so - I won’t have time to check it out until the weekend, but Doug @thesoundtestroom did a great livestream of it, and when that question came up he said it’s not possible.

• edited January 2023

@gravytop said:

I don't think it is an app designed to load clips into. The clips that are there are just "Easter Eggs" they put in for fun.

But you can run all the clips you want through it using your DAW and it will modify the sound of the clips. You get the same result.

• @Simon said:

@gravytop said:

I don't think it is an app designed to load clips into. The clips that are there are just "Easter Eggs" they put in for fun.

But you can run all the clips you want through it using your DAW and it will modify the sound of the clips. You get the same result.

Exactly

• @drewhino said:

@bleep said:
    Will this get you to places that the UA bundle can't, or do they cover the same ground? I kind of want it, but hesitate splurging on every new bright and shiny app.

i love both equally so far. i’d say UA has a more modern take on its degradation of the sound. very glitchy and the noise has lots of movement and characteristic. Wires has a more full and ghostly sound. very deep and hollow sound that it puts your signal through. i think it’s fantastic. both in conjunction could be fun.

I picked it up, they are indeed both great.

The easter egg sounds are a nice addition. One thing @audiothing for an even better feature would be to have vocal slices on one playhead and in-between slices on the other. Adding the vocals puts a lot of "Here is Wires" on your track, whereas the in-betweens are just some nice textures.

• @Kashi said:
    Thanks for your response. When you say it’s a memory limit issue, is there something I can do to rectify the problem?

Not much other than loading less stuff. I have a workaround that allows more instances to load without issues, but it's still a bit early to tell.

• Been futzing with this and it sounds exactly as nice as I expected. Pro tip, though: use the internal oversampling! As with Saturn, Wires can be a bit 2D without it.

• @audiothing said:

@Kashi said:

Not much other than loading less stuff. I have a workaround that allows more instances to load without issues, but it's still a bit early to tell.

ok cool, thanks

@mambonassau said:
    Been futzing with this and it sounds exactly as nice as I expected. Pro tip, though: use the internal oversampling! As with Saturn, Wires can be a bit 2D without it.

How do we do this?

• @Kashi in the "hamburger" menu at the top right:

• @kashi tap on the menu icon next to the power button on the top right hand corner and you can turn it on in the menu that pops up

• Ace! Thanks @Fingolfinzzz and @Grandbear 👍🏼

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I made a short little video using Fluss and messing around with the parameters of Wires to give an idea of what it can do but it’s not an in depth dive in any way

Contains every sound and recording defect I tried for decades to eliminate using multitrack recorders... all in one app. LOL. But hey, if one needs these sound characteristics, now they can be added easily.

• @bleep said:

@drewhino said:

@bleep said:

The easter egg sounds are a nice addition. One thing @audiothing for an even better feature would be to have vocal slices on one playhead and in-between slices on the other. Adding the vocals puts a lot of "Here is Wires" on your track, whereas the in-betweens are just some nice textures.

I completely agree with @drwhino’s characterization of the difference between a UA sound and Wire’s. UA’s Silo is so much fun to play with, and can spit out some great quasi-rhythmic-retro-futuristic noise with all the arcane sonic parameters to fiddle with . I’m quite enjoying Wires, but Silo made me a believer, so ended up getting Tails and the rest of the plugins in that bundle.

• @gravytop said:

@bleep said:

@drewhino said:

@bleep said:

I completely agree with @drwhino’s characterization of the difference between a UA sound and Wire’s. UA’s Silo is so much fun to play with, and can spit out some great quasi-rhythmic-retro-futuristic noise with all the arcane sonic parameters to fiddle with . I’m quite enjoying Wires, but Silo made me a believer, so ended up getting Tails and the rest of the plugins in that bundle.

damn thats sick! tbh i only use silo and lofi af. havent even got tails. whats the best/most unique thing about tails you think?

• Gong Amp! Gong Amp! Gong Amp! 😁🙏🏼

• oooh - I'm very interestd, couple of questions! What is the range of the 'speed' dial? Does it go to zero? And using the Start/Stop switch, does it take a while to slow down and stop? Or is it really quick? - I really like how the GSI Varispeed 'stops' and I wonder if this can do something similar but a bit different??
    Thanx 😊

• A soviet recorder that cannot record. I guess it can't get any more broken than that.
    Would I have bought it anyway if I knew that beforehand? Probably not, but now that I have it I try to make most out of and with it.
    UI is not scaleable, so the controls are TINY on an iPhone.

• @mysterycat said:
    oooh - I'm very interestd, couple of questions! What is the range of the 'speed' dial? Does it go to zero? And using the Start/Stop switch, does it take a while to slow down and stop? Or is it really quick? - I really like how the GSI Varispeed 'stops' and I wonder if this can do something similar but a bit different??
    Thanx 😊

This doesn't record anything, nor does it timestretch it. The speed dial is not about playback, it's exactly the speed of the stop / start emulation with a max time of 10 seconds and minimum time of 0

• @dreamrobe said:
    A soviet recorder that cannot record. I guess it can't get any more broken than that.
    Would I have bought it anyway if I knew that beforehand? Probably not, but now that I have it I try to make most out of and with it.
    UI is not scaleable, so the controls are TINY on an iPhone.

Just a processor - you can always record its output into your daw, a sampler, looper, or whatever

• @dreamrobe said:
    A soviet recorder that cannot record. I guess it can't get any more broken than that.

Didn't you watch any videos of what it is and what it does before you bought it?

I guess you can always get a refund from the app store.

• @Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:

Didn't you watch any videos of what it is and what it does before you bought it?

Nope, I only read the whole wires page on the audiothing website and it is nowhere mentioned. Not on the website and not in the App Store description. ONLY FX - NO RECORDING is what I would have liked to read in the app description.

A soviet recorder that doesn't record. That's a 16€ joke and I´m still laughing so it was worth it.

Just call it a soviet tape effect, but not a recorder.

• edited January 2023

@dreamrobe said:

@Simon said:

@dreamrobe said:

Nope, I only read the whole wires page on the audiothing website and it is nowhere mentioned. Not on the website and not in the App Store description. ONLY FX - NO RECORDING is what I would have liked to read in the app description.

A soviet recorder that doesn't record. That's a 16€ joke and I´m still laughing so it was worth it.

Just call it a soviet tape effect, but not a recorder.

But you can record in a DAW/AUM/Apematrix, whatever. What is the point of recording with the app itself? I don’t get it. The same goes for any tape sim we have on iOS, none records, only fx! Does Toneboosters menioned this on their website about Reelbus: ‘only fx - no recording’?