Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Team Cubasis

Comments

• maybe you can tell me what your benefit is?
    you can already have any (exposed) parameter you want, with one single touch?
    i say iam quicker my way, prove me wrong.

• @Birdpie said:
    maybe you can tell me what your benefit is?

Some AUv3's by design do not transmit AU Parameter changes when their UI is tweaked so they can not be 'recorded'.
    It would also make it possible to copy an automation curve from one parameter to another without first having to record to expose the parameter that the automation is copied to.

For me at least it's way faster to draw linear or curved automation across say 64+ bars instead recording it...

Everyone has their own preferred way of working, no need to prove anyone right or wrong we're all different.

• @Samu said:

@Birdpie said:
    maybe you can tell me what your benefit is?

Some AUv3's by design do not transmit AU Parameter changes when their UI is tweaked so they can not be 'recorded'.
    It would also make it possible to copy an automation curve from one parameter to another without first having to record to expose the parameter that the automation is copied to.

For me at least it's way faster to draw linear or curved automation across say 64+ bars instead recording it...

Everyone has their own preferred way of working, no need to prove anyone right or wrong we're all different.

that's a point.
    but maybe its not steinberg fault if some dev of the au not showing that parameter.
    and you don't have to record 64 bars of automation.
    one touch and you can draw.
    so i see at least a workaround for all your needs?
    maybe not that copy automation thing.
    then a copy automation function only would fix it.

• oh so you can already copy automation? never did that, cool. 😎
    so there's workarounds for all your needs, happy birthday 🥳

• what i still can't ( without aum) is getting midi out of midiguitar2 and into a cubasis midi track. ( when stay completely in cubasis3/auv3)

• @Birdpie said:

but maybe its not steinberg fault if some dev of the au not showing that parameter.

This affects mostly older apps when the AUv3 touch automation was a'new thing' the implementations varied a lot between apps and hosts.

When all the parameters are listed and shown hosts such as AUM, Drambo, LogicPro for iPad, ZenBeats, NS2 can be used to map them for modulation or for drawing automation when that feature is available.

Some apps that show AUParameters but can not be automated from the UI are so 'by design' where the UI is not meant to be 'live-tweaked' using AUParameters but they can live-tweaked with Midi CC. In some cases the plug-ins offer Midi CC mapping.

so i see at least a workaround for all your needs?

Naturally there's always 'work-arounds',
    I've been using iPads for the past 10+ years so 'compromises' are and will always be a part of the game...

• No - there is no workaround
    Steinberg is deficient in this category
    Zenbeats has it mastered
    That’s why I asked the way I did , and this is my last time asking them to implement proper midi learn

• On Monday we'll know for sure what the 3.6 update will bring (other than what was mentioned in the press-release).

Surprises are always fun...

• I discovered today that Cubasis3 is the only DAW I own that plays SWAM instruments flawlessly. Record MPE and automate every SWAM parameter I touch. Still not crashed, frozen, or refusing to play.

I say, good investment for me. 🤩 I will keep Cubasis forever. Also, hats off to the Steinberg team, you saved the day for me. 🫶

• @Luxthor said:
    I discovered today that Cubasis3 is the only DAW I own that plays SWAM instruments flawlessly. Record MPE and automate every SWAM parameter I touch. Still not crashed, frozen, or refusing to play.

I say, good investment for me. 🤩 I will keep Cubasis forever. Also, hats off to the Steinberg team, you saved the day for me. 🫶

How are you accomplishing this?
    I’m using Cubasis 3.5, geoshred pro, & swam cello. I can play a part just fine & Cubasis records the midi, but when I try & playback that recording Geoshred hits me with the error message:
    “presets using the geoswam instruments can be performed from the geoshred keyboard or mpe controllers only.

Specifically, the swam parameter “expression” must be controlled by the mpe channel pressure message.”

Are you playing/recording an independent SWAM instrument using an mpe controller ? (& specifically, which one?)

Thanks!

• @drconfusion said:

@Luxthor said:
    I discovered today that Cubasis3 is the only DAW I own that plays SWAM instruments flawlessly. Record MPE and automate every SWAM parameter I touch. Still not crashed, frozen, or refusing to play.

I’m using Cubasis 3.5, geoshred pro, & swam cello. I can play a part just fine & Cubasis records the midi, but when I try & playback that recording Geoshred hits me with the error message:
    “presets using the geoswam instruments can be performed from the geoshred keyboard or mpe controllers only.

Specifically, the swam parameter “expression” must be controlled by the mpe channel pressure message.”

Are you playing/recording an independent SWAM instrument using an mpe controller ? (& specifically, which one?)

Thanks!

I’m using Velocity Keyboard with SWAM instruments, which is working great for me.

• @Luxthor said:

@drconfusion said:

@Luxthor said:

Thanks!

I’m using Velocity Keyboard with SWAM instruments, which is working great for me.

Ok great news! thanks so much for this info!

• edited December 2023

Some quality of life improvements that really would help me in using Cubasis would be:

1) Send the audio from an on-screen keyboard apps/mpe controllers like GeoShred or Trooper, to another track to record the plugin's audio output, rather than having to use an IAA routing plugin like ApeMatrix's & coming back in. If that were native, that'd be great!

2) If we could set a default auv3 midi controller app instead of the built in keys/chord pads. I struggle with piano keys & the Cubasis chord pad editing procedure is baffling. Being able to use geoshred, velocity keyboard, kb-1, or tonality's chord pads instead of the built-in one...that would be so nice.

2.5) Midi routing - have just one midi controller track & then send it's midi to other tracks as needed to record so we didn't have to load our controllers as midi effects for each instrument.

3) Aux/Buss routing for making subgroups & using effect chains/volume automation, on them all at once.

4) Drag to loop midi/audio would be great.

5) I really struggle with the midi editor & so a Nano-studio like approach would be most welcome.

6) Oh, and being able to re-arrange which auv3 effect/plugin/controller was on the top half or bottom half of the screen when you have two open would be great.

• @drconfusion said:
    Some quality of life improvements that really would help me in using Cubasis would be:

1) Send the audio from an on-screen keyboard apps/mpe controllers like GeoShred or Trooper, to another track to record the plugin's audio output, rather than having to use an IAA routing plugin like ApeMatrix's & coming back in. If that were native, that'd be great!

2) Midi routing - have just one midi controller track & then send it's midi to other tracks as needed to record so we didn't have to load our controllers as midi effects for each instrument.

3) Aux/Buss routing for making subgroups & using effect chains/volume automation, on them all at once.

5) I really struggle with the midi editor & so a Nano-studio like approach would be most welcome.

6) Related to #2 above, but maybe even better - if we could set a default auv3 midi controller app instead of the built in keys/chord pads. I struggle with piano keys & the Cubasis chord pad editing procedure is baffling. being able to use geoshred, velocity keybpard, kb-1, or tonality's chord pads instead of the built-in one...that would be so nice.

6) Oh, and being able to re-arrange which auv3 effect/plugin/controller was on the top half or bottom half of the screen when you have two open would be great.

Very solid list and makes up most of what I would like implemented as well. I would only add a more beefed up sampler as Samu as said, and a Live Loops screen like Logic or Ableton though I’m not sure if the desktop Cubase even has that?

• @HotStrange said:

@drconfusion said:

2) Midi routing - have just one midi controller track & then send it's midi to other tracks as needed to record so we didn't have to load our controllers as midi effects for each instrument.

6) Related to #2 above, but maybe even better - if we could set a default auv3 midi controller app instead of the built in keys/chord pads. I struggle with piano keys & the Cubasis chord pad editing procedure is baffling. being able to use geoshred, velocity keybpard, kb-1, or tonality's chord pads instead of the built-in one...that would be so nice.

Very solid list and makes up most of what I would like implemented as well. I would only add a more beefed up sampler as Samu as said, and a Live Loops screen like Logic or Ableton though I’m not sure if the desktop Cubase even has that?

I hope both of you realize that Cubasis is essentially Steinberg's improved GarageBand. I just don’t want you to be disappointed when the update comes out in a few days. But thumbs up for the list. 😅

• @LFS Please, please, please make it an option to remove the splash screen and jump right into the last project as before. I registered here to write this. When plugins get stuck and the app has to be closed and re-opened it's so inconvenient I've started using LPi. I miss the simplicity of C3, but now the whole workflow feels weird compared to what it was.

• @Luxthor said:

@HotStrange said:

@drconfusion said:

I hope both of you realize that Cubasis is essentially Steinberg's improved GarageBand. I just don’t want you to be disappointed when the update comes out in a few days. But thumbs up for the list. 😅

Wait what? I never said anything assuming it was something more than what it is. They’ve come pretty far with it though and I don’t see anything wrong with being hopeful or asking devs for features…

Did I miss something?

• @tekk said:
    @LFS Please, please, please make it an option to remove the splash screen and jump right into the last project as before. I registered here to write this. When plugins get stuck and the app has to be closed and re-opened it's so inconvenient I've started using LPi. I miss the simplicity of C3, but now the whole workflow feels weird compared to what it was.

And a search bar for plugins like in AUM would be much appreciated, as would the ability to declutter by deleting everything stock.

• I really do hope there’s a LOT more to the 3.6 update than new sounds.
    If the press release covered all news it’ll be a pretty lack-luster update…

• @Samu said:
    I really do hope there’s a LOT more to the 3.6 update than new sounds.

Yeah especially after Logics release. To finally come out with an update and it’s just a few IAPs…not a great look.

I’m sure the synths are great. The desktop one seems great too. But if they intend on properly competing with Logic it needs some new additions. I guess we will know in 2 days…

• It is only going to be a point update. Logic was a fully fledged launch. I think the new instrument updates will be very welcome, but I suspect we’ll have to wait for substantial DAW improvements. Which is pretty much how it is with most apps, I guess.

• @HotStrange said:

@Luxthor said:

@HotStrange said:

@drconfusion said:

Wait what? I never said anything assuming it was something more than what it is. They’ve come pretty far with it though and I don’t see anything wrong with being hopeful or asking devs for features…

Did I miss something?

I was assuming that because you supported that advanced feature list, I also joined up in the support, so... ;)

• @drconfusion said:

@Luxthor said:

Thanks!

Geoshred gives that message for Geoswam instruments when you try to send midi notes to them on channel 1. So the workaround is to send the midi notes on any other channels other than channel 1, if I remember right.

• If the drawing of velocity values in the velocity editor finally respects the selection that is made prior to drawing velocities changes it'll be a nice improvement. (ie. select a bunch of notes and the drawing velocity will only the selected notes).

Currently when drawing velocity changes all notes at the specific position are effect whether they are selected or not.

I get it not everyone edits midi in detail but that's no excuse for a feature not working properly...
    (I've been told to 'learn how to play' instead of editing midi just as a 'supremist excuse' for a DAW that has sub-par midi-editing capagbilities).

Cheers!

• @Gavinski said:

@drconfusion said:

@Luxthor said:

Thanks!

Geoshred gives that message for Geoswam instruments when you try to send midi notes to them on channel 1. So the workaround is to send the midi notes on any other channels other than channel 1, if I remember right.

I just tried GeoShred in Cubasis, the internal keyboard records MPE flawlessly, and everything works with VK. Maybe I didn't understand the problem. Do you guys want to control GeoShred with GeoShred MIDI? Because it works in that situation either way.

I just discovered how smoothly SWAM and GeoShred work in Cubasis and with VK combinations. After the LP4iOS came out, I almost forgot that I have Cubasis. ;)

• @Luxthor said:

@HotStrange said:

@Luxthor said:

@HotStrange said:

@drconfusion said:

Did I miss something?

I was assuming that because you supported that advanced feature list, I also joined up in the support, so... ;)

I don’t expect feature parity with Cubase in the same way Apple is going for with LP4i but I do think it deserves some more advanced features. That said I’d pay good money for a fully featured version.

• @Samu said:
    I really do hope there’s a LOT more to the 3.6 update than new sounds.

Don't mean to be negative but I'd bet other than what has been announced, the remaining item on the changelog is going to be "stability improvements and bug fixes" 😝

• @vdk_john said:

Don't mean to be negative but I'd bet other than what has been announced, the remaining item on the changelog is going to be "stability improvements and bug fixes" 😝

That's a real classic :sunglasses:

• Looking on the good side, this last update took the better part of the year..Nothing new since Logic Pro appeared…I mean it might be because of Cubase 13…
    Maybe they still wanted to keep it Cubasis 3 something so they wouldn’t have to charge us again and also that they usually jump from a .5 to a solid number up…
    Ahh never mind me….Im setting myself up for disappointment yet again, I bet…

• @Telstar5 said:

Ahh never mind me….Im setting myself up for disappointment yet again, I bet…

Despite my sometimes naggy tone I'll try to stay positive and it'll be really fun to check out the FM Classic IAP and how well it competes agains Yamahas FM Essentials.app when it comes to the actual TX81Z emulation.
    (I've already downloaded a bunch of SysEX files for the TX81Z and FM Classics is supposed to be able to import them and if that goes well I'll dig out the rest I've got archived on CDs from mid 90s. It's around ~8000 SYX files with 32 presets each most likely a load of 'duplicates').

Cheers!