Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ButterSynth Is Released!

Comments

• @tja said:

@NeuM said:
    What have people created with this synth so far?

You are using Synths to actually make music? 😳😳😳

😅

“Synths: They’re not just for collecting!”

• edited May 2023

How do you make a slow attack ( with wavetable )

Just adsr dosent seem enough.

When adding another key. Its like its id700 or something.

Do you have to edit wavetable and use filters, also?

edit Dont worry.

• @gdtimes21 said:
    Any ideas when the iPhone version will hit the store? I’ve been refreshing a few times a day since you mentioned it was coming lol been waiting for a synth like this for years 😁

Same, but hourly 😂

• @Kirnu @tk32

First of all, bravo! ButterSynth is an absolute joy to use. Its UI controls are very easy to see and easy to grab without resorting to a pencil, and the range of sounds I've gotten is tremendous. And that's just from playing with the Wavetable oscillators. I haven't even gotten to the Sample, FM, or Granulator oscillators yet. Just wow.

I have a few bug reports, questions, suggestions . . .

Noise/buzz in WT oscillator:
    Some WT oscillator Phase settings produce a buzzing noise in addition to the expected sound. It happens even with a pure sine wave: the spectrum analyzer of FabFilter Pro-Q 3 shows a long series of overtones about -38dB below the fundamental. To reproduce this:
    1. Start ButterSynth with its default patch. (You might need to turn off Settings > Load Last Saved Preset and then restart ButterSynth to get this initial state.)
    2. Check that Wavetable 1 oscillator is on, the others are off, and the oscillator's three filter buttons are off.
    3. Check that Settings > Oversampling > Wt osc 1 = None.
    4. Load the Factory > Basic > Sine wavetable into Wavetable 1.
    5. Set the oscillator's Phase to 25.0.
    6. On ButterSynth's keyboard, play and hold C3. Turn up the volume a bit and you'll hear a pulsing, buzzing sound along with the sine tone.
    - Changing the oscillator's oversampling setting reduces the buzz, but it doesn't eliminate it. The buzz will go away if you set Phase to 0, 50, or 100 (the zero crossings of the sine wave). But no constant value of Phase should affect the sound of a continuous sine wave.

Bug, or maybe user misunderstanding, in Step Sequencer:
    When the Step Sequencer is set to Free Run, its speed is still affected by the tempo as set on the main screen. And the values shown in seconds don't seem to match the actual timing of either the entire sequence or the individual notes. So if the sequence is set to Free Run, and the Rate is set to 1.0 seconds, what should have a duration of one second? A single note? The entire 16-step sequence? It's neither of these.

Sync and W-Sync causing pitch change, but not sync:
    Both Sync and W-Sync seem to do the same thing: they change the oscillator's frequency, but there's no actual sync--no resetting of the oscillator's phase. The image of the waveform in the UI seems to change as it should, but there's no change in the output harmonics or wave shape, just the pitch.

Oversampling settings per preset:
    Shouldn't the oversampling settings be saved per preset, on the principle that some presets benefit from oversampling more than others? If so, it seems undesirable to make users go into six submenus to reconsider the oversampling settings for WT1, WT2, Sample, FM, Granulator, and Distortion every time they load a preset. It seems to me that if something changes the sound of a preset, it should be part of the preset.

UI bug: asterisk beside disk icon:
    In an AUv3 instance, the asterisk that indicates a modified patch appears much closer to the wrench icon than to the disk icon. The standalone UI doesn't have this problem. Neither AUv3 nor standalone adds an asterisk to the patch name as the manual says it should, but maybe that's a bug in the manual.

User's manual improvements:
    The description of "Move marked to selected" should say that it exchanges the current and selected waves--it moves both of them.
    Under Saving patches, the manual says that if a patch is modified, an asterisk will appear beside the patch name and the disk icon, but in fact only the disk icon gets an asterisk.

Thanks for reading. If there's a better place to send this stuff, just let me know.

• Some excellent notes there for the developer, @BeatsMe.

• edited May 2023

Thanks @BeatsMe - a very thorough and helpful description that Kirnu will be glad to receive.

• I can confirm the first bug. Shifting the phase between 20-25 for the factory sine wave causes a momentary gap in - what should be the - seamless looping of a sine wave, regardless of phase offset. This results in a buzzing sound, but should be quite easy to fix.

• Step sequencer: sounds like an excellent catch here - well done! Let’s see what Arto says.

• Sync/W-sync: a question to be answered by Arto.

• Patch-specific oversampling: same as above.

• The UI/asterisk bug is already fixed in beta and will be included in the next update.

• Manual updates: thank you! Some of this functionality changed slightly during development.. so the manual was right at one point (just like people say about broken clocks!). I will update in due course.

• @tja said:

@NeuM said:
    What have people created with this synth so far?

You are using Synths to actually make music? 😳😳😳

😅

Best so far. +1!

😂

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @dokwok2 said:
    I see the excitement for this synth, and I want to share it. But I keep coming back to a couple questions:

1. Is the sound quality of Butter Synth on the same level with Zeeon? (I have listened to a few demos of Butter, and so far I've heard lots of nice sounds but no great or unique sounds. I realize that statement is subjective.)

2. If the real excitement is about all of the different ways Butter can make sounds, how does it compare with Sugar Byte's Factory?

This isn't, for me, a money issue so much as a time issue: where to invest the precious hours or minutes in a day? I don't mind spending money or learning something new, if it's fun, produces better results, or makes a usable sound that I haven't heard before. (For me, the synth that really sounds different AND usable is Sugar Byte's Aparillo.)

I grew with everyone else that there’s not much overlap. Both going for different things. That said, as much as I like Zeeon, I’ve never fully got the hype. There’s quite a few synths I think sound better.

• Zeeon has one of best (if not best at all) sounding filters on iOS. It has audio rate modulation (not much iOS synths with audio rate modulation) which means LFO can be used for FM modulation of Oscillators.

It's literally most precise analog synth emulation on iOS. No competition in this range. Yes, limited modulation possibilities when compared to monsters like ButterSynth, but it has very firm place on my iPad next to ButterSynth.

• @dendy said:
    Zeeon has one of best (if not best at all) sounding filters on iOS. It has audio rate modulation (not much iOS synths with audio rate modulation) which means LFO can be used for FM modulation of Oscillators.

It's literally most precise analog synth emulation on iOS. No competition in this range. Yes, limited modulation possibilities when compared to monsters like ButterSynth, but it has very firm place on my iPad next to ButterSynth.

Oh yeah I definitely still really like Zeeon but for VA I usually find myself reaching for Alpha and Mela more often. Audio rate modulation is a big deal though. I always forget it can do that.

For filters, my #1 spot is RRS Ivoks tied with iVSC3.

• @tk32 said:
    Thanks @BeatsMe - a very thorough and helpful description that Kirnu will be glad to receive.

• I can confirm the first bug. Shifting the phase between 20-25 for the factory sine wave causes a momentary gap in - what should be the - seamless looping of a sine wave, regardless of phase offset. This results in a buzzing sound, but should be quite easy to fix.

• Step sequencer: sounds like an excellent catch here - well done! Let’s see what Arto says.

• Sync/W-sync: a question to be answered by Arto.

• Patch-specific oversampling: same as above.

• The UI/asterisk bug is already fixed in beta and will be included in the next update.

• Manual updates: thank you! Some of this functionality changed slightly during development.. so the manual was right at one point (just like people say about broken clocks!). I will update in due course.

I have added these to the bug list and will investigate when I get to fix those.
    Patch-specific oversampling: If user has a device which allows him to use oversampling then these should always be on and not saved in preset. Some user user the presets might have older device which could not handle the oversampling

• @BerlinFx said:
    I am getting certainly old but why do you want such a synth on an IPhone ?

I am curious to know your flow between IPhone and Ipad and / or Destop for such a synth. ?

I got only koala on my cheap iPhone SE and even it is tricky sometimes to use Koala on IPhone…

Because I don’t own an iPad

• This synth is incredible.

It seems this (and Hilda) is the most unique and well rounded and powerful synths made to date, Really multi dimensional.

It seems the big difference is polyphony besides the layout. I can tell I wouldn’t be able to handle buttersynth but I think I’ll eventually bite.

Does anyone make presets with ALL synths in tandem? Or do you usually enable one or 2? It looks like you sort of need to know what to do/what you’re looking before you start?

• I have ButterSynth on two iPads. I tend to fool around on the smaller of the two. What would be the easiest way to keep them in sync?

• Any rough eta’s on the iPhone version? (… just to save me keep checking the app store every 30 mins).

Just a ballpark - a couple of weeks? A couple of months? Nothing concrete, nothing to hold anyone to account to - just a “it’s not worth checking back for at least a month” type of thing.

Cheers 👍😊

• @attakk said:
    Any rough eta’s on the iPhone version? (… just to save me keep checking the app store every 30 mins).

Very hard to say, because it only takes one newly discovered bug to potentially derail and postpone things, but based on how the beta process is going, I'd hazard a guess that there's approx 1 week to go.

(Take with a heavy pinch of salt)

• @tk32 said:

@attakk said:
    Any rough eta’s on the iPhone version? (… just to save me keep checking the app store every 30 mins).

Very hard to say, because it only takes one newly discovered bug to potentially derail and postpone things, but based on how the beta process is going, I'd hazard a guess that there's approx 1 week to go.

Many thanks - I’m happy to take any estimate with a very heavy pinch of salt (my bills are paid by the software developer job I do in the day - so I understand totally what you mean here) 👍

Thank you 😊

• No. I’m not buying another synth!!!

…OK. It’s finished downloading. I needed to at least put up some sort of token resistence.
    🙄

• @Slam_Cut said:
    No. I’m not buying another synth!!!

…OK. It’s finished downloading. I needed to at least put up some sort of token resistence.
    🙄

Yep.

ButterSynth
    Tera Pro
    Nambu
    Trooper
    ID700
    Hilda

and soon Mela 4

More in a short time than ever before.

• @tk32 said:

@attakk said:

I’ll have a slice of lemon with that salt and keep my cheeks puckered. They’ve been promising Tera Pro on the iPhone for months so this sounds a bit more hopeful and bit more likely to get my money 🤞

• @tja said:

@Slam_Cut said:

🙄

Yep.

ButterSynth
    Tera Pro
    Nambu
    Trooper
    ID700
    Hilda

and soon Mela 4

Mela 4 is insanely good. Been messing with it a lot.

• Is there a way to import presets other than just one by one? Can’t find any info anywhere.

• edited May 2023

@girlvsworld said:
    Is there a way to import presets other than just one by one? Can’t find any info anywhere.

Create some category in Butter patch browser, where you want import presets

Then just use Apple Files app and unpack zip file with all presets into

On My iPad > ButterSynth > User > Presets > Synth > {categoryNameYouCreatedInButtter}

restart standalone app, and they appear there .. then will be also availble withing plugin

• @HotStrange said:

@tja said:

@Slam_Cut said:

🙄

Yep.

ButterSynth
    Tera Pro
    Nambu
    Trooper
    ID700
    Hilda

and soon Mela 4

Post something you’ve created using it, just for fun?

• @NeuM said:

@HotStrange said:

@tja said:

@Slam_Cut said:

🙄

Yep.

ButterSynth
    Tera Pro
    Nambu
    Trooper
    ID700
    Hilda

and soon Mela 4

Sure! I can try and upload something when I get off work later tonight. I’ve mostly used it for effects and midi but the synth sounds great also.

• @HotStrange said:

@NeuM said:

@HotStrange said:

@tja said:

@Slam_Cut said:

🙄

Yep.

ButterSynth
    Tera Pro
    Nambu
    Trooper
    ID700
    Hilda

and soon Mela 4

Sure! I can try and upload something when I get off work later tonight. I’ve mostly used it for effects and midi but the synth sounds great also.

Cool.

• @dendy said:

@girlvsworld said:
    Is there a way to import presets other than just one by one? Can’t find any info anywhere.

Create some category in Butter patch browser, where you want import presets

Then just use Apple Files app and unpack zip file with all presets into

On My iPad > ButterSynth > User > Presets > Synth > {categoryNameYouCreatedInButtter}

restart standalone app, and they appear there .. then will be also availble withing plugin

Thanks @dendy

• It would be cool if when assigning an oscillator to an envelope, that envelope would also then be selected for editing.

• Perhaps late to the party, but, I discovered how amazing Buttersynth is thru Jakob Haq and his really good video about Buttersynth…

The question is, I really love Synthmaster 2 with my +4000 patches/presets, so, what can Buttersynth do that can’t be done on Synthmaster 2?

It ain’t above money, but spare time, get thru yet another beast (Buttersynth) is time consuming, and a lot of time now is dedicated to Pianoteq (incredible app)…

• edited May 2023

@girlvsworld said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Perhaps late to the party, but, I discovered how amazing Buttersynth is thru Jakob Haq and his really good video about Buttersynth…

The question is, I really love Synthmaster 2 with my +4000 patches/presets, so, what can Buttersynth do that can’t be done on Synthmaster 2?

did you ever made some more complex patch on Synthmaster 2 ? Asking cause i terribly failed, i found SM2 UI absolutely horrendeous to work with .. on other side those approx 100 presets i made for BS was pleasure to work on them :)

That's for me main advantage of BS agains SM2 - the UI ..

here few things which comes quickly to my mind, for sure i forgot something

• wavetable editor ! Just plain wavetable editor is worth the price in my opinion
    • much better oscillators cross modulation (esp. FMX mode wich emulates Nord Lead 2 famous oscillators FM modulation)
    • every oscillator can be routed differently to filter (i mean serial/parallel routing of filter can be different for each oscillator, on SM2 it's just fixed for all oscillators)
    • 5 oscillators vs. 2 in sm2 (of course you have two layers in sm2 but thats not same like having 5 oscillators together)
    • bigger mod matrix, more detailed settings per matrix slot
    • FM oscillator (just plain fm oscillator is like whole self-contained synth inside synth), Granulator
    • can you in SM2 select any oscillator to skip FX chain ? not sure, in BS you can