Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ButterSynth Is Released!

Comments

• Tempo doesn’t change in Logic Pro it’s often 120bpm

• @Denzkps said:
    Tempo doesn’t change in Logic Pro it’s often 120bpm

just tried it, created new project, added butter, enabled arpeggiator - changing tempo of host, arpeggiator perfectly follows tempo set in logic and also tempo value shown on first butter page in bottom right part is same like logic tempo..

• @dendy said:

@Denzkps said:

just tried it, created new project, added butter, enabled arpeggiator - changing tempo of host, arpeggiator perfectly follows tempo set in logic and also tempo value shown on first butter page in bottom right part is same like logic tempo..

Yes, it works after changing tempo in project. Thx!

• edited May 2023

@Denzkps said:

@dendy said:

@Denzkps said:

Yes, it works after changing tempo in project. Thx!

ok so if i good understand if project has other than 120, after loading butter shows 120
    and only when project tempo changes butter adjusts it’s tempo

will report to dev

• Hey all - first off, loving Buttersynth. It’s right up my alley. Very impressive. Dreamy even!

I’m having trouble with it in Logic for iPad, though. Running on an IPad Pro 2020. All other apps closed, fresh boot. Fresh project in Logic. I start adding tracks with instances of Buttersynth. Just leaving them on the default preset. The transport isn’t running. I’m not even opening the synth UI. It will crash Logic by the 3rd instance if not sooner. One instance seems to be OK.

Is this just on my end? Anything I could be doing wrong? Or more data I could provide to help get it addressed?

• I don’t use Logic Pro, but it seems to be a resource hog. Seems like the people who are having ptoblems with Buttersynth are having them in Logic Pro. Might be time for a workaround, like recording Buttersynth in another DAW and bringing audio into Logic Pro.

• @Slam_Cut said:
    I don’t use Logic Pro, but it seems to be a resource hog. Seems like the people who are having ptoblems with Buttersynth are having them in Logic Pro. Might be time for a workaround, like recording Buttersynth in another DAW and bringing audio into Logic Pro.

@dendy wrote something about things getting more stable soon...

• @Slam_Cut said:
    I don’t use Logic Pro, but it seems to be a resource hog. Seems like the people who are having ptoblems with Buttersynth are having them in Logic Pro. Might be time for a workaround, like recording Buttersynth in another DAW and bringing audio into Logic Pro.

Thanks. I guess it is Logic Pro specific. I just had 8 instances playing in Cubasis 3 with no issues at all. Hopefully it’ll get ironed as the dust settles around Logic. I know these apps are both pretty new.

• I’ve had a few questions come up as I explore this synth. Maybe someone here can answer them. :smile:

What does the key tracking parameter on the granular oscillator do? The manual says that it tunes the grains according to the incoming pitch. But that seems to happen whether key track is on or not. But engaging it seems to do a few other things. Like the grain length control seems to be reversed with the shortest grain lengths being at the top end of the dial. Also the pulse frequency knob seems to have no effect with key track on.

Also, is there any way to get a source of random that is not tied to tempo sync? The only ones I can find are on the LFOs which are tempo synced.

I’ve also had a couple of crashes in standalone mode. Is this the best place to find the developer? Can’t find any contact info on the website. I’m loving this synth and would be happy to provide whatever info I can to get it stabilized on my iPad.

• Does this load into Roland Zenbeats for anyone? It is quarantined when scanned and crashes. I Reported through website support.

• @HeavyWater said:
    Does this load into Roland Zenbeats for anyone? It is quarantined when scanned and crashes. I Reported through website support.

current beta, no issues

• @dendy said:

@HeavyWater said:
    Does this load into Roland Zenbeats for anyone? It is quarantined when scanned and crashes. I Reported through website support.

current beta, no issues

Okay, works after launching the app standalone, then scanning plugins within Zenbeats. Thanks.

• Will the update include a fix for the wavetable per part. So it updates as you go through parts?

Havent used since buying.

• @sigma79 said:
    Will the update include a fix for the wavetable per part. So it updates as you go through parts?

yes and many other fixes.. dev was just about to release it but then Logic came with whole new list of problems needed to be fixed urgently…

• @dendy said:

@sigma79 said:
    Will the update include a fix for the wavetable per part. So it updates as you go through parts?

yes and many other fixes.. dev was just about to release it but then Logic came with whole new list of problems needed to be fixed urgently…

Cool.

Thanks.

• Any signs of that ios version? You mentioned you had beta quite awhile back, can I get access? 😁

• kirnu is still fighting with bugs introduced by infamous logic

• @dendy said:
    kirnu is still fighting with bugs introduced by infamous logic

Ahhh, so Logic was feeding Buttersynth with bugs, interesting…

• edited June 2023

@ErrkaPetti said:

@dendy said:

Problem is that it crashes whole Logic, not just Butter - and in crash logs there is not ever crashlog file for Butter, so it's actually Logic what crashes so there is just Logic crashlog. Something which is really hard to debug :-(

So a bit more patience is needed. I believe (hope:)) this is last major problem which needs to be solved before update can go, all other stuff is rock solid stable in beta now. I am using Butter in NS all the time a had zero crashes or any issues for long time now.

• “Introduced by” vs “exposed by” Logic 🤔

• edited June 2023

@realdawei said:
    “Introduced by” vs “exposed by” Logic 🤔

Well, i am not native speaker so let's not play with subtle nuances in wording :)))

Anyway, it doesn't happen in any other DAW plus as i mentioned there is just Logic crashlog not BS crashlog. Just summarising facts. This host <=> plugin communication is very shady area, borderline is very thin and to fix such problems without close communication between host dev and plugin dev is often tough job.

• @dendy said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@dendy said:

Problem is that it crashes whole Logic, not just Butter - and in crash logs there is not ever crashlog file for Butter, so it's actually Logic what crashes so there is just Logic crashlog. Something which is really hard to debug :-(

So a bit more patience is needed. I believe (hope:)) this is last major problem which needs to be solved before update can go, all other stuff is rock solid stable in beta now. I am using Butter in NS all the time a had zero crashes or any issues for long time now.

It's honestly not that hard to crash Logic 'Pro' for iPad...

So far my iPad has sent 40+ crash-logs over to Apple (the error logs indicated VM related memory-leaks and since VM is not yet enabled in iPadOS16 I suspect we'll have to wait for either iPadOS17 which will add proper VM or an update to Logic which ever happens first).

• @dendy said:

@realdawei said:
    “Introduced by” vs “exposed by” Logic 🤔

Well, i am not native speaker so let's not play with subtle nuances in wording :)))

Anyway, it doesn't happen in any other DAW plus as i mentioned there is just Logic crashlog not BS crashlog. Just summarising facts. This host <=> plugin communication is very shady area, borderline is very thin and to fix such problems without close communication between host dev and plugin dev is often tough job.

I’ve got inspired (deliberately) with one of your sounds from Buttersynth, had problems with MIDI recording in AUM/Drambo combo, stuttering and lag mostly (Only when Drambo is recording). In Logic iOS there is no lag but cannot open more than one instance, insta-crash when I try.

Just don’t let Kirnu be hasty, we need for this synth to be rock solid as you said.

• edited June 2023

@Luxthor said:
    Just don’t let Kirnu be hasty, we need for this synth to be rock solid as you said.

Be sure he doesn't need to be guarded this way :) He is very pedant type of guy, working hard on improvements and fixes.

Honestly, i am the one who is pushing him to release update asap lol, cause i see ppl are desperately waiting for it (and beta is really a LOT better than current public version). But yeah, stability is most important thing at current point. I hope this Logic fuckery is last thing to be nailed.

• edited June 2023

@Samu said:

So far my iPad has sent 40+ crash-logs over to Apple (the error logs indicated VM related memory-leaks and since VM is not yet enabled in iPadOS16 I suspect we'll have to wait for either iPadOS17 which will add proper VM or an update to Logic which ever happens first).

What to say .. looks like Apple has serious problem following their own standards :lol: .

• @dendy said:

@Samu said:

What to say .. looks like Apple has serious problem following their own standards :lol: .

Yeah, it's kinda ironic, pushing stuff into the throats of developers and failing on their own...
    ...the audio routing in Logic also uses 'private' APIs to allow the end-user to freely select the input and output from any connected device which is not possible in for example AUM due to lack of proper APIs available to 'regular' developers.

ie. you can not select for example iPad speaker as the output when an audio interface that supports input & output is connected, this means that if I for example connect a Audio Technica USB turn-table which has both input & output codec (but no speaker) I can not use the iPad speaker to listen to the records in AUM which works perfectly in Logic.

Oh well, gonna be interesting to see how things shape up with iPadOS17 regarding new APIs when they are finalized...

• tjatja
    edited June 2023

@dendy said:

@Samu said:

They are desperately searching the docs - and wonder how all the developers could create DAWs, Hosts and AUv3 plugins - at all!!! 😅😅😅

• @tja said:

@dendy said:

@Samu said:

They are desperately searching the docs - and wonder how all the developers could create DAWs, Hosts and AUv3 plugins - at all!!! 😅😅😅

:lol:

• edited June 2023

am i blind, or are the step sequencer controls not available as destinations in the modulation matrix?

i‘ve tried sending modulation to the the same knob on the relative curve envelope but it doesn’t seem to work

the idea was to use a step sequencer to modulate volume, and sweep the rate knob with an lfo to get some randomised gating. can achieve something similar with the curve env, i guess

• @dendy said:
    I am using Butter in NS all the time a had zero crashes or any issues for long time now.

How many instances can you have open in NS2 before there are problems?