Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ButterSynth Is Released!

Comments

• @tk32 said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    One other thing - it would be lovely if you could double tap or hold on a control to automatically assign it to the mod matrix and start the process of setting up a mod.

You can long-press any dial to get a pop-up menu that allows quick mod matrix assignment.

The dial you long-press becomes the destination, and the source is the option you select from the pop-up

Ha, thanks. I didn’t hold it down for long enough!

• @Pierre118 said:
    @kirnu while 'testflighting' it was possible to use Buttersynth also on Mac M1, which was very good. But you removed that from the final version, why?

Someone posted already that they plan to release a Mac version. It is quite reasonable for developers not to include Mac support for ios app store purchases given how little profit they make.

I don't think it is fair to expect them to include Mac support of the released version jist becaise they allowed it during beta testing.

• @israelite : i have an iPad 6 and am able to run up to three buttersynth instances. Fewer if I use big wavetables or samples.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @espiegel123 said:

@Pierre118 said:
    @kirnu while 'testflighting' it was possible to use Buttersynth also on Mac M1, which was very good. But you removed that from the final version, why?

Someone posted already that they plan to release a Mac version. It is quite reasonable for developers not to include Mac support for ios app store purchases given how little profit they make.

I don't think it is fair to expect them to include Mac support of the released version jist becaise they allowed it during beta testing.

Read my most recent post. I haven't used the word 'expect', I am 'hoping' for AUv3 MacOS support as it was in the most recent public Testflight version. That's fair.

• Can someone in the beta team confirm that the issue with automated parameters not being reflected by the UI has been acknowledged?

• tjatja
    edited April 2023

@Pierre118 said:

@tja said:

@Pierre118 said:

@tk32 said:
    Remember that the most recent betas are/were several versions ahead of the release build.

Treat the release build as 'stable' and the beta versions as 'experimental/forthcoming'.

The release is the same version as the most recent Testflight version v0.9 (32), so the latest beta is the release version.

Ah, yes - I only tried the Gear icon and then "About", which is the usual way to find the version.

But still:

• edited April 2023
    @espiegel123 said:
    i have an iPad 6 and am able to run up to three buttersynth instances. Fewer if I use big wavetables or samples.

does it really crash or you just get that warning but when you click OK you can easily continue with even more instances ? Because that's how it works for me..

• edited April 2023

@tja said:

@Pierre118 said:

@tja said:

@Pierre118 said:

@tk32 said:
    Remember that the most recent betas are/were several versions ahead of the release build.

Treat the release build as 'stable' and the beta versions as 'experimental/forthcoming'.

The release is the same version as the most recent Testflight version v0.9 (32), so the latest beta is the release version.

Ah, yes - I only tried the Gear icon and then "About", which is the usual way to find the version.

But still:

You have a expired expired version of Buttersynth, looks you left the public Testflight. Most recent public Testflight version is 0.9 (32). And I agree, I was looking in 'about' also, where you can 'expect' the version number.

• edited April 2023

It's good to understand that beta is not "demo version of app" but just beta - it's purpose is testing, trying various features, various approaches, it may even break completely at any given point (it's completely normal) or get removed features at any point ... Lot people are subscribing to beta just to get early access to app, not providng any valuable feedback, expecting it is demo or "free trial". There is never any promise that any functin presented in beta will make it to release - that is how developement works. Good to be aware of this to avoid misunderstandings and dissapointments.

Note that i am here speaking just for myself, from my experience as a developer for 25 years, not iOS based though (for now;) But from reasons i wrote above i NEVER subscribe to any beta in case i doesn't have deep intention to provide feedback, test features or even help with desing of features. And if i feel from some reason i cant do that, even through i wanted, i unsubcribe from beta (happened to me with Drambo) . Most importantly i never expect that any of beta features are guaranteed to make it to final version unless it's 3xplicitly stated by Dev they will do.

• @dendy Everybody has his own reason to join a beta. And like you say : "Most importantly i never expect that any of beta features are guaranteed to make it to final version....''. Agree on that, but hoping is something different.

We will see what the future will bring us.

• @dendy said:

@espiegel123 said:
    i have an iPad 6 and am able to run up to three buttersynth instances. Fewer if I use big wavetables or samples.

does it really crash or you just get that warning but when you click OK you can easily continue with even more instances ? Because that's how it works for me..

Sometimes it crashes.

• But I only ever one instance. So it isn’t a problem for me.

• The Hold Button on the kybd kills the sound when pressed. The hold begins on the next notes played. I’d prefer to see it sustain the notes that have been held down, as most hold functions work. Is there a reason it doesn’t work like that?

• @sigma79 said:

@HotStrange said:

@sigma79 said:

@israelite said:

@dendy said:

Yes this is still subject of improvements, as first thing try turn off all other apps which are running in background ... i can run on iPhone XS 4 instances in NS2, with fifth one i start getting this waring too.. this iPhone has has 4 gigs of ram .. on iPad Air M1 i can run much more (has 8 gigs of ram)

Dev knows about this problem on older devices with smaller RAM, it's still opened task for improvements ...

Air 4th gen doesn't have a small amount of ram. And to be honest I am too lazy to close other apps only to be able to use BS. For me Synthmaster 2 is doing everything BS is and has 3000 presets, so I will stay with SM2. Cheers

Hmm.

Bought an ipad 9 just for synths ( no drums )

Seems like you need an ipad air 5

Which means £800. Maybe creeking and screen issues ( like the last two ipad air 3 )

I have the Air 5 (2022) and have had no issues with it.

Did you buy from Apple direct?

Are you from UK?

Can you still use a cck instead of audio4c ( which is usbc ) So ipad charges without audio4c on?

Israelite is right.

Ipads really should be ok but thought an ipad air 5 ( just for synths ) Should be good but then thought the ipad 9 should generally be enough and chose because of issues with ipad airs and none with ipad 9. There wernt issues with ipad mini though ( a laminate screen )

The only issue ipad air 3s were from apple. The other ipads not from apple.

Wonder if stores get better batch ipads or the air 3 were just a design fault.

Yes I use it the same way I used my last air but I haven’t tried my CCK with it yet. I use a usbc to aux for headphones and it’s fine. I’m from the US but my fiancé also has the same iPad and hers works fine as well.

• @HotStrange said:

@sigma79 said:

@HotStrange said:

@sigma79 said:

@israelite said:

@dendy said:

Yes this is still subject of improvements, as first thing try turn off all other apps which are running in background ... i can run on iPhone XS 4 instances in NS2, with fifth one i start getting this waring too.. this iPhone has has 4 gigs of ram .. on iPad Air M1 i can run much more (has 8 gigs of ram)

Dev knows about this problem on older devices with smaller RAM, it's still opened task for improvements ...

Air 4th gen doesn't have a small amount of ram. And to be honest I am too lazy to close other apps only to be able to use BS. For me Synthmaster 2 is doing everything BS is and has 3000 presets, so I will stay with SM2. Cheers

Hmm.

Which means £800. Maybe creeking and screen issues ( like the last two ipad air 3 )

Are you from UK?

Can you still use a cck instead of audio4c ( which is usbc ) So ipad charges without audio4c on?

Israelite is right.

Ipads really should be ok but thought an ipad air 5 ( just for synths ) Should be good but then thought the ipad 9 should generally be enough and chose because of issues with ipad airs and none with ipad 9. There wernt issues with ipad mini though ( a laminate screen )

Yes I use it the same way I used my last air but I haven’t tried my CCK with it yet. I use a usbc to aux for headphones and it’s fine. I’m from the US but my fiancé also has the same iPad and hers works fine as well.

Cool HotStrange.

Got the ipad 9 delivered but might return. Save more money buy the ipad air.

• is it possible to clip? or change the start point of a wav file in the “sample” oscillator ?

• @eross said:
    is it possible to clip?

change the start point of a wav file in the “sample” oscillator ?

no

• @eross said:
    is it possible to clip? or change the start point of a wav file in the “sample” oscillator ?

No, i read last night (or maybe saw it in Jakob Haqs video) that a built in sample editing function has been mentioned as a future possibility.

• @Grandbear said:
    Can someone in the beta team confirm that the issue with automated parameters not being reflected by the UI has been acknowledged?

Acknowledged and passed onto developer. This is not technically a bug, so may become feature request for a future update.

• Does anyone know if there’s a Buttersynth discord?

• edited April 2023

@tk32 said:

@Grandbear said:
    Can someone in the beta team confirm that the issue with automated parameters not being reflected by the UI has been acknowledged?

Acknowledged and passed onto developer. This is not technically a bug, so may become feature request for a future update.

In my line of work (i.e. the one that actually pays the bills…) this would definitely be treated as a feature request - and after review would be prioritised as a “nice to have”…

• I actually made a first fm patch ( out of all ever fm tweaking ) but obviously with some wavetable jargon ( wavetable sort of purcussion ) Where the fm I called Digi. As it sounds I guess nice. Rather than the fm sounding like wabetable jargon. Crusher modulated actually sounds like a shimmer layer for the fm voice.

• @HotStrange said:

@sigma79 said:

@HotStrange said:

@sigma79 said:

@israelite said:

@dendy said:

Hmm.

Are you from UK?

Israelite is right.

Not to derail thread. I guess its promo. Were thinking to hold out till September and make sure I dont spend the money. Just spend the time getting most out out the drum ipad 9 and making some patches on the ipad air 3. Think I might have kept air 3 anyway and have a drawing device and not use a better ipad for this.

Then it should be an M2 chip?

Which would actually be overkill just for synths. I sometimes find it difficult to add synths to 12 track drums but the drums are always just tests for capability and always laziness to make a further song ( with patterns etc )

• @attakk said:

@tk32 said:

@Grandbear said:

In my line of work (i.e. the one that actually pays the bills…) this would definitely be treated as a feature request - and after review would be prioritised as a “nice to have”…

‘Nice to have’ doesn’t sound very high priority? I’d say this is a pretty standard feature of a synth.

• Bought this this morning. Right up there with Tera Pro as the best all-in-one synth on iOS. Can't see any way to mark a preset as a Favourite though? This is pretty much essential for a synth that ships with so many presets. Am I missing something obvious?

• edited April 2023

Don't worry all (including @charalew). I'll definitely pass-on how much a simple favourites system would be appreciated. :+1:

Remember this is the dev's first ever synth — and what an amazing synth it is! — so at this point I think he still feels pretty awestruck and flattered people are planning to use ButterSynth in their compositions at all, let alone want to have their favourite presets at quick access.

Arto is a humble dev, building up his DSP skills, striving for excellence, learning from past mistakes, working tirelessly, and clearly establishing himself as someone to watch going forward.

• edited April 2023

@gregsmith said:
    Does anyone know if there’s a Buttersynth discord?

We have a discord server here where you can chat with the beta team:
    https://discord.gg/sZam3qEt

But be aware.. now that the public beta phase has ended, we might soon be making this discord invitation only.

• edited April 2023

@sigma79 said:
    I actually made a first fm patch ( out of all ever fm tweaking ) but obviously with some wavetable jargon ( wavetable sort of purcussion ) Where the fm I called Digi. As it sounds I guess nice. Rather than the fm sounding like wabetable jargon. Crusher modulated actually sounds like a shimmer layer for the fm voice.

Ipad air 3. Some modulations but mainly noticable with crusher, which leans more to additional FM ( soundwise )

All wavetables and fm oversampled to 4.

And cascade. Must be nice reverb. I didnt bother to tweak.

• @tk32 said:

@gregsmith said:
    Does anyone know if there’s a Buttersynth discord?

We have a discord server here where you can chat with the beta team:
    https://discord.gg/sZam3qEt

But be aware.. now that the public beta phase has ended, we might soon be making this discord invitation only.

Thank you. I would love to be more involved in the beta now that I know it’s coming to iPhone. I struggle to test iPad only apps properly due to free time constraints, but iPhone support makes this much more feasible.