Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer by Imaginando Lda

Comments

• Did anyone get the desktop version? I see there is a trial so I will do that before intro price is over.

• More trips

• I was very excited when I heard about this new app but as Identor said ...

@Identor said:
    I have watched the tutorial from @Gavinski , and although it's very cool to manipulate the visuals through LFO, MIDI and Audio, and have 8 layers + Background, i wonder if i could add content, like short video clips. What i hoped to see, are more "traditional" video manipulation, alike effect layers ala Photoshop (Posterise, negative, outline etc.) and mirroring, caleido etc. Or even video scrubbing.
    As of yet, this is not my cup of tea, due to the fact that you are bound to a set of shaders, with no room for own content.
    This is an excellent program for people who want a visual to their music, but less for people who want to be more creative and expressive.
    All in all, this is and excellent piece of software, and i do like the Trigger options, but less for the visuals.

I'll pass ...

• I’m really enjoying this app so far… but I have a dumb question. What is the difference between loading VS as a music effect versus loading it as an instrument?

• Hey, is there any point in trying this on an iPad Air 2?

It looks great, but no iPad upgrades are in the cards for me for awhile.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@skiphunt said:
    I’m really enjoying this app so far… but I have a dumb question. What is the difference between loading VS as a music effect versus loading it as an instrument?

I imagine that if you use it as an FX that you can pass audio in addition to midi through it to affect the visuals.

• @wim said:
    Hey, is there any point in trying this on an iPad Air 2?

All the effects I have produced have been on an ipad Air (3rd Generation)
    Like all animation apps the more intensive your anim then you will have to sacrifice quality for frame rate.

• @mhc0 said:
    I was very excited when I heard about this new app but as Identor said ...

@Identor said:
    I have watched the tutorial from @Gavinski , and although it's very cool to manipulate the visuals through LFO, MIDI and Audio, and have 8 layers + Background, i wonder if i could add content, like short video clips. What i hoped to see, are more "traditional" video manipulation, alike effect layers ala Photoshop (Posterise, negative, outline etc.) and mirroring, caleido etc. Or even video scrubbing.
    As of yet, this is not my cup of tea, due to the fact that you are bound to a set of shaders, with no room for own content.
    This is an excellent program for people who want a visual to their music, but less for people who want to be more creative and expressive.
    All in all, this is and excellent piece of software, and i do like the Trigger options, but less for the visuals.

I'll pass ...

I would agrue your against your case to a degree. I believe it is about a creative approach with sometimes limited materials.
    However, yes if the door was to open that allowed us to either construct or insert new materials then that would give rise to a wealth of new possibilities.
    K-Machine allows you to insert your on shaders. However, the method of inserting them is somewhat convoluted and the engine itself is prone to crashes. It relies on an internal sequencer to fire shaders.
    If on VS we are allow to put video on other layers, or photos on other layers, then it will become a beast to contend with.

• @sinosoidal would it be possible to allow the background layer to have say three videos available loaded in the background then expose via external trigger (via a note / cc) which one of the three to show in the layer?

• @NimboStratus said:
    @sinosoidal would it be possible to allow the background layer to have say three videos available loaded in the background then expose via external trigger (via a note / cc) which one of the three to show in the layer?

No. At least for now. But you can do something as a workaround already.

If VS receives a patch change message it will change patch. You can save different patch with different videos on the background and instead of triggering via note, you would trigger via program change messages.

• @NimboStratus said:
    @sinosoidal would it be possible to allow the background layer to have say three videos available loaded in the background then expose via external trigger (via a note / cc) which one of the three to show in the layer?

While we're at it :): allow that background video to be played like Secret Base Design's visual synth.

• @janpieter said:

@NimboStratus said:

While we're at it :): allow that background video to be played like Secret Base Design's visual synth.

Can you elaborate? :)

• @sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

@NimboStratus said:

I've seen the app description. We will see what we can do. Will open issue.

• @sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

@NimboStratus said:

To be able to assign MIDI notes to timeline points in the video and then play them.

Here's the app (I think it's lovely in its seemingly simplicity and what you can achieve with it): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/visual-synth/id1493237895

• @janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

@NimboStratus said:

To be able to assign MIDI notes to timeline points in the video and then play them.

Here's the app (I think it's lovely in its seemingly simplicity and what you can achieve with it): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/visual-synth/id1493237895

Thanks! :wink:

• @sinosoidal said:

@NimboStratus said:

If VS receives a patch change message it will change patch. You can save different patch with different videos on the background and instead of triggering via note, you would trigger via program change messages.

Ah slick. Yes hadn't thought of that!!! :-)

• @NimboStratus said:

@sinosoidal said:

@NimboStratus said:

Ah slick. Yes hadn't thought of that!!! :-)

This is not a documented feature and I've never tried it on iOS. So let me know if you are able to make it working.

• @sinosoidal said:
    This is not a documented feature and I've never tried it on iOS. So let me know if you are able to make it working.

I did it with an external controller firing off CCs. Works perfectly. Now just need to figure out what "note1", "note2" etc in AUM actually map to so I can wire to Helium/Atom...

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@wim said:
    Hey, is there any point in trying this on an iPad Air 2?

Well glory be, it holds up pretty good even on this poor ol’ Air 2! B)
    Damn this app is fun. This is the one I’ve been waiting for. <3
    Amazing work!

• Holds up pretty well on an iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen too.

• edited June 2021

@NimboStratus said:

@sinosoidal said:

I did it with an external controller firing off CCs. Works perfectly. Now just need to figure out what "note1", "note2" etc in AUM actually map to so I can wire to Helium/Atom...

Yup works sending C0 (NOTE12) and C#0 (NOTE13) to load patterns 1 and 2 with different background gifs. Very very cool. Uploading a sample vid in a mo...

• @NimboStratus said:

@NimboStratus said:

@sinosoidal said:

Yup works sending C0 (NOTE12) and C#0 (NOTE13) to load patterns 1 and 2 with different background gifs. Very very cool. Uploading a sample vid in a mo...

Great! I’m trying to set this up but can’t wrap my head around. How exactly do you manage to trigger starting different patches by different MIDI notes?

• @janpieter said:

@NimboStratus said:

@NimboStratus said:

@sinosoidal said:

Great! I’m trying to set this up but can’t wrap my head around. How exactly do you manage to trigger starting different patches by different MIDI notes?

Will send instructions in a bit

• edited June 2021

Edit. Dang cannot upload converted gif, will try again

• edited June 2021

@NimboStratus @sinosoidal

Strange thing happening: I am experimenting with program changes (first time) by sending them by Xequence 2 over AUM to VS. I am unable yet to change the patches (that might of course be my lack of skill). But when I send a program change (I checked several times) the only thing it seems to do is turn off the background layer (imported videos) of the currently playing patch. Moreover: sometimes VS seems unable to load/retrieve the imported background video (saved in local patch), which a (or several) restarts of the Audiobus/AUM session or reloading VS seems to solve.. (edit: sometimes VS doesn’t load at all leaving a black screen with the message ‘your audio unit ui goes here’ (in AUm))

@NimboStratus eagerly awaiting your gif :)

• edited June 2021

having trouble getting video converted and uploaded. but all you need to...

1. Use something like Helium/Atom, I've got 2 bars of C0 and 2 bars of C#0 on a loop

1. 'Wire up' Helium to VS using the 3 lines (hamburger) icon

1. Then select the icon top right of the 3 lines menu, select preset mode

2. Add two actions, one for each preset and set Note 12 (C0) to action 1 (load preset 1) and Note 13 (C#0) to action 2 (load preset 2).

• edited June 2021

Just a quick test to show the changing preset in action

YouTube still processing the HD version.

• @NimboStratus said:
    having trouble getting video converted and uploaded. but all you need to...

1. Use something like Helium/Atom, I've got 2 bars of C0 and 2 bars of C#0 on a loop

1. 'Wire up' Helium to VS using the 3 lines (hamburger) icon

1. Then select the icon top right of the 3 lines menu, select preset mode

2. Add two actions, one for each preset and set Note 12 (C0) to action 1 (load preset 1) and Note 13 (C#0) to action 2 (load preset 2).

Many thanks! Thank you for taking the trouble to show me. It works fine. This opens up a lot of possibilities. Happy with that. Is it correct that this only works for the factory bank? I am not seeing the local bank in the preset load menu. That would be a (temporary?) bummer..

• edited June 2021

Ah will check

• edited June 2021

@NimboStratus said:
    Ah will check

Seems like the local bank needs to be selected in VS for these presets to appear in that list which then strangely keeps the name ‘factory’. + the aforementioned oddity that the background movies not alway load in..
    All a bit quirky sometimes but good to know this is a possibility..