Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM MidiMixer by 4Pockets for iPad, released

Comments

• edited December 2020

@BladeRunner said:
    The best thing about this app is that it may spur Kymatica on to develop some of these features natively in AUM. Especially features like a visible timeline, MIDI automation and the the ability to resize the mixer GUI.
    Fingers crossed.

to be honest, I would not want such features integrated in AUM, because it's the perfect modular session tool that ignores all these things to let you focus on spontaneous flow and ideas.

and on top it can be extended by plugins like midi mixer, if needed.

• @cuscolima said:
    Who will be the first to propose a template for Drambo ?

No one has an idea how to do it? I can only find a solution for one channel but not for several...

• @nuno_agogo said:

@BladeRunner said:
    The best thing about this app is that it may spur Kymatica on to develop some of these features natively in AUM. Especially features like a visible timeline, MIDI automation and the the ability to resize the mixer GUI.
    Fingers crossed.

to be honest, I would not want such features integrated in AUM, because it's the perfect modular session tool that ignores all these things to let you focus on spontaneous flow and ideas.

I know what you mean, but Jonatan is great at design so if he implemented it, I'm sure it wouldn't get in the way of your workflow if you didn't want to use it. :)

On the other hand it would make AUM even more of an advanced modular experience. Wiring up automation sources can be tedious via plugins and make me personally lose flow so an in-built option is a good idea I think.

• Update with CC, longer fade time, etc..

• @nuno_agogo said:

@BladeRunner said:
    Fingers crossed.

I remember back in the early FL studio days when it was still called Fruity Loops. Users such as myself wanted to be able to record audio tracks along side the sequencer. The main developer totally shot that Ideal down and swore it would never be implemented. He also was against MIDI. He said it was a dying format. Pretty funny. Ever since he and the rest of his team started developing such features, things really took off for those folks and now FL Studio is used in recording studios world wide. And GOL the initial developer is raking in the profits.

• edited December 2020

V 1.02 is out. Now you can remotely change a scene by just pressing a note (0 - 7) on channel 16. This is crazy good for live performances!! Thanks dev !!
    Or you can sequence the scenes with LK for example to make automatic evolving music...

• @cuscolima said:
    V 1.02 is out. Now you can remotely change a scene by just pressing a note (0 - 7) on channel 16. This is crazy good for live performances!! Thanks dev !!
    Or you can sequence the scenes with LK for example to make automatic evolving music...

Yup, this is a big development for live players (especially but not exclusively) and I suspect it’ll fly under the radar. I told Paul I’d make a video upon release of the MIDI control so I better get busy!

• Another great tool which extends the possibilities of AUM on step further ! If I understand correctly, there’s no way to record automations from an external midi device? It would be so cool to be able to record a live mix (controlled by a Kong nanokontrol for example) and then edit the automation curves if necessary... would that be possible?

• @ecamburn said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @ecamburn what does the CPU meter read if you open up just the MIDIMix template without any synths etc? I bet it varies depending on whether the app is open or not (ie, showing the GUI) too.

Only about 5%. So it looks like it was the synths and convolution reverb driving cpu. Which makes sense. I wouldn't expect a MIDI effect to eat a lot of CPU.

As a comparison I set up a similar project in AUM without Midimixer (2 OBXDs, sending to a master bus and with sends going to a bus with Thafknar). At a buffer of 256, the CPU ran about 5-10% less than in a similar MidiMixer project.

When I checked, I saw something puzzling. It looks like when you use MidiMixer, it locks the buffer size to 256. I could have sworn I changed the buffer yesterday inside of a MidiMix project. But I'm now getting an error "Could not set buffer size. Either the hardware does not support the selected buffer size, or another application is currently controlling it."

I'm using the ipad standalone - it's not hooked up to an audio interface.

It can't be said often enough: the CPU % you see isn't really meaningful until you are up close to 100%. When CPU is significantly lower than that throttling causes those numbers to be of marginal meaning. For more about why, check the wiki.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ecamburn said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @ecamburn what does the CPU meter read if you open up just the MIDIMix template without any synths etc? I bet it varies depending on whether the app is open or not (ie, showing the GUI) too.

Only about 5%. So it looks like it was the synths and convolution reverb driving cpu. Which makes sense. I wouldn't expect a MIDI effect to eat a lot of CPU.

As a comparison I set up a similar project in AUM without Midimixer (2 OBXDs, sending to a master bus and with sends going to a bus with Thafknar). At a buffer of 256, the CPU ran about 5-10% less than in a similar MidiMixer project.

When I checked, I saw something puzzling. It looks like when you use MidiMixer, it locks the buffer size to 256. I could have sworn I changed the buffer yesterday inside of a MidiMix project. But I'm now getting an error "Could not set buffer size. Either the hardware does not support the selected buffer size, or another application is currently controlling it."

It can't be said often enough: the CPU % you see isn't really meaningful until you are up close to 100%. When CPU is significantly lower than that throttling causes those numbers to be of marginal meaning. For more about why, check the wiki.

I need to make this the motto of my youtube channel, cos I'm so sick of ppl asking me 'how's the cpu' and really not knowing how to give a fair answer

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ecamburn said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I need to make this the motto of my youtube channel, cos I'm so sick of ppl asking me 'how's the cpu' and really not knowing how to give a fair answer

The key concept is that mobile devices CPUs don't run at a fixed rate. The CPU 'meter' doesn't tell you the percentage of the full-speed CPU -- it tells you the percentage of the CPU at the moment. So, 20% might be 20% of the fully-away CPU or 20% of a sleepy throttled-down CPU (which would mean that it is barely using any CPU at all).

Apps with CPU meters have no idea what state the CPUs are in.

• @4Pockets
    Thanks for a great app.
    Would love to see an arrangement view of all channels on timeline like in Audio recorder app.
    Also would be so useful to have another view for mute/unmute in blocks. In addition to the current view of a graph.

• So here is a question..... just got this. What all do you think would be the best way to incorporate this into AUM sessions that I already have? I dont really want to go in an map all the cc’s manually. If I open in standalone, there is no way in AUM to replace the channel with a channel I have in another session and keep the midi assignments correct?

• @onerez said:
    So here is a question..... just got this. What all do you think would be the best way to incorporate this into AUM sessions that I already have? I dont really want to go in an map all the cc’s manually. If I open in standalone, there is no way in AUM to replace the channel with a channel I have in another session and keep the midi assignments correct?

This. What us the best way to use this app with existing sessions?

• Also, suggestion time: I would really think this app could be a dream for ambient if I could somehow loop each recorded slider.... Especially independent of each other! Think of eight independent drones or granular movements (Like Spacecraft, Samplr, etc) doing their own thing and the faders just kinda fade in and out in loops.... Just me?

• @FlightManual said:

@onerez said:
    So here is a question..... just got this. What all do you think would be the best way to incorporate this into AUM sessions that I already have? I dont really want to go in an map all the cc’s manually. If I open in standalone, there is no way in AUM to replace the channel with a channel I have in another session and keep the midi assignments correct?

I wonder if the new AUM update (with its greatly improved parameter assignments) will simplify the process.

• @FlightManual said:
    Also, suggestion time: I would really think this app could be a dream for ambient if I could somehow loop each recorded slider.... Especially independent of each other! Think of eight independent drones or granular movements (Like Spacecraft, Samplr, etc) doing their own thing and the faders just kinda fade in and out in loops.... Just me?

Why not use the snapshots for this and hook the MIDI controls for the snapshots to a slow LFO? Or any “slow” sequencer you have?

• Posted this separately in its own thread but given questions above about looping could be helpful here too. Instead of controlling with pads or a foot pedal replace that process with a sequencer looping the 7 lowest notes on channel 16.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@FlightManual said:

@onerez said:

I wonder if the new AUM update (with its greatly improved parameter assignments) will simplify the process.

For sure!

• edited December 2020

@FlightManual said:

@onerez said:

Add this as a midi fx and update your AUM channel settings to match midi mapping in AUM MidiMixer

• @auxmux said:
    @FlightManual said:

@onerez said:

Add this as a midi fx and update your AUM channel settings to match midi mapping in AUM MidiMixer

Ya I was going to to this, but was trying to find a lazy work around. 😂. I like the concept of this app, but for some of my ambient stuff it might be better if I just went down to the studio and hooked up my controller to handle all this.
    I wish there were more snapshots, but I might have trouble remembering what is what. LOL.

Thanks!!!

• @onerez said:

@auxmux said:
    @FlightManual said:

@onerez said:

Ya I was going to to this, but was trying to find a lazy work around. 😂. I like the concept of this app, but for some of my ambient stuff it might be better if I just went down to the studio and hooked up my controller to handle all this.
    I wish there were more snapshots, but I might have trouble remembering what is what. LOL.

Thanks!!!

Haha, yeah, I agree. I'll probably add this in a new template than go back and update old sets. Same on snapshots, and an ability to trigger them with midi.

• edited December 2020

since the recent AUM update - detecting midi channels of controls for automation became much easier inside of AUM -

In regard to Midi-Mixer I am less interested in it’s volume control function - for which there exits an AUM-update - if I understood this correctly in the tutorial videos ...

But I more interested in it’s capability to record automation loops of other controls - like filter cut-off for example - to create recordings of hand-made filter movements compared to LFO-driven ones for example -

So is there a way to mis-use the volume channel AUM template for this?

Or is there another easy and quick way of detecting the correct channel for the individual control -

I am a bit afraid of loosing the just gained easiness of the AUM-update - by trying to achieve the parameter control inside of Midi-Mixer -..

And I must admit - I am really not an midi expert - so I am always a bit lost when I reach the area of these kind of apps ...

Would appreciate any advice —- before buying or not buying midi-mixer ...

Or is there any other reliable AUV3 app out there - which is capable of recording such kind of automations in a fast and simple way?

• It’s on sale.$1 off down to $5.99

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    @4Pockets
    Thanks for a great app.
    Would love to see an arrangement view of all channels on timeline like in Audio recorder app.
    Also would be so useful to have another view for mute/unmute in blocks. In addition to the current view of a graph.

Would be nice to have parameters exposed. I would like to midi map snapshots

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz ...
    You can midimap them, but it's not done with exposed parameters. Seems like a bit of an afterthought (same as the Digistix pattern selection midi control). Midi notes 0 to 7 (corresponding to C-1 or C-2 depending...) sent on midi channel 16 will select snapshots.

There's a good trick here to map that to 1 button operation, which is good if you want to move in sequence through them, not so much if you want to move around non sequentially.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/894045#Comment_894045

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    @4Pockets
    Thanks for a great app.

You are on it! Don’t think Paul will get to AU params but this app could get many of us halfway to the promised land if he focused on this potential gem. The endless iOS trade offs persist!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    @4Pockets
    Thanks for a great app.

You are on it! Don’t think Paul will get to AU params but this app could get many of us halfway to the promised land if he focused on this potential gem. The endless iOS trade offs persist!

Huh, is this not exposed? Wonder why.

• @Gavinski said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    @4Pockets
    Thanks for a great app.

Huh, is this not exposed? Wonder why.

You cannot see the AU params in AUM; you just have to point the correct MIDI at the app and hope it works.

• This is definitely an app with features for which I have been searching, but I'm wondering if, besides it being AU, it has any benefits over using something like Xequence's automation, which seems to be more flexible and almost infinite. I also saw @Frank303 talking about using LK for the same thing. Besides those 2 apps, are there any others out there that are comparable to this in functionality?