Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM MidiMixer by 4Pockets for iPad, released

Comments

• edited December 2020

It would be helpful if you could specify your own settings for the midi cc. For example, I have 60 and 62 already in use on a midi controller, so rather than changing that, I'd specify different values for mute and solo in this and update AUM template accordingly.

• edited December 2020

Well, that editable timeline is your actual performance. Plus...depending on your preference, sometimes that rigorous automation is not so natural to the whole vibe of the track...the whole increase or decrease in movement fader course has no vibe ... there are the same for each track ( but that can be a personal taste). Why would you send your jam to a daw? Are you just building stems inside aum? Or you work on full tracks?> @ExAsperis99 said:

@Sergiu said:
    Yes, if you own a launchcontrol or Midimix , there is no necessary need of this app. > @ecamburn said:

Someone said it earlier that this is a good solution for folks without mixer controllers. Even if I set up a template in AUM I don’t have a controller or an app to drive the template. But I haven’t bought it yet either so I’m still listening to the early adopters. 🙂

Not true. It makes an editable timeline of your fader moves and mutes. That’s very valuable to me before sending an AUM jam to a DAW.

• Agreed - ask Paul for this

@auxmux said:
    It would be helpful if you could specify your own settings for the midi cc. For example, I have 60 and 62 already in use on a midi controller, so rather than changing that, I'd specify different values for mute and solo in this and update AUM template accordingly.

• @auxmux said:

MidiMixer is using AUM's default values of note 60 and 62 to solo and mute the channel so you can still use CC 60 and 62.
    Note values, CC values, and PC values can use the same digits.

• It's a shame Lemur never made it to AUv3 and was still being developed. You could make a patch like this for AUM with automation. If this was part of a customisable controller app it would be great as you could alter and customise the templates.

Being able to change the CCs and elements I think is essential in an app like this. I get the feeling it was built with Nurack components, if it was part of that I'd be more likely to buy Nurack so I could change it etc :)

• Yeah, it definitely looks like nurack components. Will send a note to Paul, customization will help this be an everyday tool.

• edited December 2020

@Sergiu said:
    Well, that editable timeline is your actual performance. Plus...depending on your preference, sometimes that rigorous automation is not so natural to the whole vibe of the track...the whole increase or decrease in movement fader course has no vibe ... there are the same for each track ( but that can be a personal taste). Why would you send your jam to a daw? Are you just building stems inside aum? Or you work on full tracks?> @ExAsperis99 said:

@Sergiu said:
    Yes, if you own a launchcontrol or Midimix , there is no necessary need of this app. > @ecamburn said:

Someone said it earlier that this is a good solution for folks without mixer controllers. Even if I set up a template in AUM I don’t have a controller or an app to drive the template. But I haven’t bought it yet either so I’m still listening to the early adopters. 🙂

Not true. It makes an editable timeline of your fader moves and mutes. That’s very valuable to me before sending an AUM jam to a DAW.

That’s exactly how I use AUM: To make rough-mix performances of sessions by then send the stems into a DAW for final adjustments. Having a timeline that can be edited after jamming seems to be the point of MidiMixer — to me, anyway.

I guess I should clarify that this is how I arrange songs, launching different atom clips and so on. There’s lots of trial and error, and I have high hopes that this app will streamline this process.

• In user fader is it only available as 20cc. This means only one fader can send automation to control some setting on say cutoff on a synth but then if another fader could be st to control resonance that would be brilliant!

• How about Audiobus?

• Sounds great! I leave everything in Aum...and I give maybe around 5 recorded versions. > @ExAsperis99 said:

@Sergiu said:

@Sergiu said:

That’s exactly how I use AUM: To make rough-mix performances of sessions by then send the stems into a DAW for final adjustments. Having a timeline that can be edited after jamming seems to be the point of MidiMixer — to me, anyway.

I guess I should clarify that this is how I arrange songs, launching different atom clips and so on. There’s lots of trial and error, and I have high hopes that this app will streamline this process.

• In the latest beta you can choose your own cc numbers for fader, pan, mute, solo and 3 user defined controls, don't worry!

• Is it possible to route an external MIDI source to MIDIMixer, say for example Rozeta LFO modulating pan, such that MIDIMixer will record it as part of the automation during a record pass?

• i’m very interested in this, but can’t quite wrap
    my head around how you would program a whole song with this. i e seen a couple youtube videos, but it doesn’t show enough. anybody suggest a video that shows song writing with this app?

• edited December 2020

I think it just follows the AUM timeline. One of the more interesting/useful things about this app (to me) is that it actually makes the AUM timeline visible since usually the only way to "see" the timeline is from the little counter above the transport. But the counter is obviously just one point on the line.

• @ecamburn said:
    I think it just follows the AUM timeline. One of the more interesting/useful things about this app (to me) is that it actually makes the AUM timeline visible since usually the only way to "see" the timeline is from the little counter above the transport. But the counter is obviously just one point on the line.

cool

• Your snapshots can be purely mute/unmute/solo setups - is that right?

• Holy cow. I bought it, I opened it in AUM, and I could immediately see the possibilities. I look forward to a little time with this!

• @robosardine said:
    Your snapshots can be purely mute/unmute/solo setups - is that right?

Yup, they can be

• Hi everybody
    I am the man at the origin of this App...
    The man that you use to dirt here...

My ego didn't needed credit..
    But after again, your dirt and lies about me...
    I need credits..

This time I am not playing..
    There are lawyers on this new story.

Take care,of what you will say here...
    Defamation is under the law...
    My best
    Ed

• Who will be the first to propose a template for Drambo ?

• This app does what it advertises and does it well IMO.

That said, on an Air 2 I find I’m maxing cpu pretty quickly with what I consider a pretty bare bones setup.

2 OB-xd
    1 synthmaster
    1 Thafknar on a bus
    1 AU3 Dub on a bus
    1 Fugue Machine
    1 Atom

Before adding midimixer automation cpu was in the 90s. While adding automation and playing it back crackle city.

Sharing in case others find this helpful.

• @ecamburn said:
    This app does what it advertises and does it well IMO.

That said, on an Air 2 I find I’m maxing cpu pretty quickly with what I consider a pretty bare bones setup.

2 OB-xd
    1 synthmaster
    1 Thafknar on a bus
    1 AU3 Dub on a bus
    1 Fugue Machine
    1 Atom

Before adding midimixer automation cpu was in the 90s. While adding automation and playing it back crackle city.

If you are not playing live, just playing back sequencing, have you tried cranking up the AUM buffer to max?

• @ecamburn said:
    This app does what it advertises and does it well IMO.

2 OB-xd
    1 synthmaster
    1 Thafknar on a bus
    1 AU3 Dub on a bus
    1 Fugue Machine
    1 Atom

Thafknar and OB-X are not light on the CPU. What buffer size are you using? What is the IR length? (Convolution reverb is CPU-intensive).

• Thanks fellas. Kicking up the buffer size helped. 1024 is workable. And yeah I figured the convo reverb was probably pretty hungry. :)

• @ecamburn what does the CPU meter read if you open up just the MIDIMix template without any synths etc? I bet it varies depending on whether the app is open or not (ie, showing the GUI) too.

• The best thing about this app is that it may spur Kymatica on to develop some of these features natively in AUM. Especially features like a visible timeline, MIDI automation and the the ability to resize the mixer GUI.
    Fingers crossed.

• edited December 2020

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @ecamburn what does the CPU meter read if you open up just the MIDIMix template without any synths etc? I bet it varies depending on whether the app is open or not (ie, showing the GUI) too.

Only about 5%. So it looks like it was the synths and convolution reverb driving cpu. Which makes sense. I wouldn't expect a MIDI effect to eat a lot of CPU.

As a comparison I set up a similar project in AUM without Midimixer (2 OBXDs, sending to a master bus and with sends going to a bus with Thafknar). At a buffer of 256, the CPU ran about 5-10% less than in a similar MidiMixer project.

When I checked, I saw something puzzling. It looks like when you use MidiMixer, it locks the buffer size to 256. I could have sworn I changed the buffer yesterday inside of a MidiMix project. But I'm now getting an error "Could not set buffer size. Either the hardware does not support the selected buffer size, or another application is currently controlling it."

I'm using the ipad standalone - it's not hooked up to an audio interface.

• @Gavinski said:
    In the latest beta you can choose your own cc numbers for fader, pan, mute, solo and 3 user defined controls, don't worry!

Great news.

• @ecamburn said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @ecamburn what does the CPU meter read if you open up just the MIDIMix template without any synths etc? I bet it varies depending on whether the app is open or not (ie, showing the GUI) too.

Only about 5%. So it looks like it was the synths and convolution reverb driving cpu. Which makes sense. I wouldn't expect a MIDI effect to eat a lot of CPU.

As a comparison I set up a similar project in AUM without Midimixer (2 OBXDs, sending to a master bus and with sends going to a bus with Thafknar). At a buffer of 256, the CPU ran about 5-10% less than in a similar MidiMixer project.

When I checked, I saw something puzzling. It looks like when you use MidiMixer, it locks the buffer size to 256. I could have sworn I changed the buffer yesterday inside of a MidiMix project. But I'm now getting an error "Could not set buffer size. Either the hardware does not support the selected buffer size, or another application is currently controlling it."

I'm using the ipad standalone - it's not hooked up to an audio interface.

Very interesting. Why would midimixer try to control the buffer? Thanks for running the experiments.