Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM MidiMixer by 4Pockets for iPad, released

Comments

• edited December 2020

Great stuff! Looking forward to it. I hope it will also have MIDI learn.

• @4Pockets ?
    Care to weigh in?

• I really love the option to slowly transition between snapshots :) now here's a funny idea: imagine a 2D map and on it are the snapshots, and by moving a cursor between these points you can transition seamlessly between snapshots and also explore all the "in between" space. Something along the lines of syndtsphere, or the preset switcher thing in garageband's new synth (Algorythm synth or whatever it's called).

• @david_2017 said:
    I think it could be used as a bluetooth midi device. So I use my phone as a mixing device for AUM in the pad? Boy this could be a gamechanger hahah,... noticed? I said gamechanger

I am thinking the opposite, but my iPhone is newer than my iPad.
    So I am using my iPad to control the more powerful, but tiny-screened iPhone.
    Total lame-changer (not so lame anymore)

• @CracklePot said:

@david_2017 said:
    I think it could be used as a bluetooth midi device. So I use my phone as a mixing device for AUM in the pad? Boy this could be a gamechanger hahah,... noticed? I said gamechanger

I am thinking the opposite, but my iPhone is newer than my iPad.
    So I am using my iPad to control the more powerful, but tiny-screened iPhone.
    Total lame-changer (not so lame anymore)

I see what you did there :)

• edited December 2020

between this and atom 2 this is like crowdsourcing a modular daw

Being able to control the AUM track record buttons with this would be cool.

• This looks cool.

Does @4Pockets aka Paul the Musicman sleep? Eat? Not only does he keep pumping out new apps like crazy, they are often quite deep, and frequently updated. Dude is a machine.

• @Marcotronic said:
    Wow, that’s huge news, with that AUM becomes so much more powerful. I always found it annoying that AUM could only display 4 tracks (5 on a 12.9 iPad Pro) at the same time. I always hoped that one day we could get a zoomable interface like this
    but 4pockets was faster !

You could say that about a few things.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    This looks cool.

Does @4Pockets aka Paul the Musicman sleep? Eat? Not only does he keep pumping out new apps like crazy, they are often quite deep, and frequently updated. Dude is a machine.

No doubt! It's crazy what that one dude has pumped out in 2020 alone. I know some aren't keen on his design choices (doesn't bother me), but there's no doubting he knows his target market very, very well. This app looks to be incredibly useful.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    This looks cool.

Yes, it's truly mind-boggling stuff. How he does it, I will never know.

• Yeah, this looks amazing and really useful! I didn’t get along with my first 4pockets purchase (MultiTrack Recorder), but this AUM MidiMixer could be just the ticket!

• edited December 2020

I literally asked for something like this ( for the umpteenth time) about 3 days ago. If this works solidly it could actually, with Atom 2 when it comes for MIDI recording and LK for clip launching, be the third element required to turn AUM into a total roll-your-own DAW. Very impressive. In fact, I can think of only one thing that would make it better -and somebody else already did!:

@aleyas said: “12 tracks is kinda limiting though. Maybe he could work with the Aum dev to have integration whereby adding a track in Aum adds a track to midi mixer. So that Midi Mixer is a complete, realtime representation of your entire project.”

Now that is a totally excellent idea. I use a variable number of channels in AUM, and the freedom of adding and deleting as I go is part of it. A 1 to 1 instant and updateable ‘add a channel in AUM, automatically adds a channel in this’ would be fantastic. And kind of logical, giving the inherent flexibility of AUM itself too

@4Pockets : any chance? I wonder if @j_liljedahl might reach out to him to discuss enhanced integration a la the current work going on with Atom 2 - it could be the next step in integrating the behind-the-scenes de facto standard setting @blueveek has discussed recently.

Also - I have had some issues with @4pockets apps in the past, and his phenomenal pace of development means that sometimes it seems to me at least that he moves on without too much of a look back to address shortcomings not immediately evident (I’m thinking for example of Multitrack Recorder which didn’t quite do what I thought it would, maybe my fault, but hey) but regardless, you have to admit - the guy is a total machine! Does he have a prison full of coding elves doing his bidding, or what? :)

• Great work @4Pockets. Lots of us have been asking for something along these lines for a while!

• edited December 2020

@Svetlovska said:!:
    @aleyas said: “12 tracks is kinda limiting though. Maybe he could work with the Aum dev to have integration whereby adding a track in Aum adds a track to midi mixer. So that Midi Mixer is a complete, realtime representation of your entire project.”

Hmm... I think instead of more faders for this plugin I‘d prefer a better automation integration interface for AUM. I don‘t consider having two sets of faders a good idea. Ideally such a Midi plugin should just need to cover automation data handling: recording, playback, drawing, editing, snapshots, etc. Probably a means for plugin defined UI overlays without a window would be helpful.

• @krassmann said:

@Svetlovska said:!:

Hmm... I think instead of more faders for this plugin I‘d prefer a better automation integration interface for AUM. I don‘t consider having two sets of faders a good idea. Ideally such a Midi plugin should just need to cover automation data handling: recording, playback, drawing, editing, snapshots, etc. Probably a means for plugin defined UI overlays without a window would be helpful.

That’s a good suggestion too actually. What would like most from an app like this is that it reflects and interacts with the current project, as large or as small as it is. Like you said, the faders may be the least important aspect - although it is nice to have a slightly expanded view from the 5 at a time visible channels in Aum.

• Very nice. Here is a request for MIDI learn and a way to send PC messages.

• Do send suggestions to Paul directly folks. He may read this forum, not sure, but certainly never seems to reply here, at least not on the last few releases

• He good at replying via U tube comments

• @david_2017 said:
    Wow this looks cool. I wonder if Jonatan is also somewhere in this and they are working together to have this mixer thing here more integrated into AUM, that would be really cool and useful.

No, I'm not involved in this.

@Carnbot said:
    I wonder if we'll ever get snapshots and automation as native AUM features.

I'm hoping to add something like this in the future, yes. But no promises about when :)

• @j_liljedahl thanks for the info. And today we are waiting your first auv3 effect💪

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Carnbot said:
    I wonder if we'll ever get snapshots and automation as native AUM features.

I'm hoping to add something like this in the future, yes. But no promises about when :)

Great to hear this :) Yeah would make AUM even more powerful, and better than using a plugin.

• Would be awesome if Midimixer had like an SSL built in too?.. ie.. each channel had EQ, Compressor, Gain reduction, ect,... like Waves Scheps Omni Plugin, or Mixbus 32C?... for example..

• @studs1966 said:
    Would be awesome if Midimixer had like an SSL built in too?.. ie.. each channel had EQ, Compressor, Gain reduction, ect,... like Waves Scheps Omni Plugin, or Mixbus 32C?... for example..

At which point it stops being a MIDI mixer, and becomes an AUM replacement instead.

• @celtic_elk said:

@studs1966 said:
    Would be awesome if Midimixer had like an SSL built in too?.. ie.. each channel had EQ, Compressor, Gain reduction, ect,... like Waves Scheps Omni Plugin, or Mixbus 32C?... for example..

At which point it stops being a MIDI mixer, and becomes an AUM replacement instead.

So what’s the point of putting a mixer within another mixer then?.. 4 pockets has made another mixer make it easier from within AUM standard way.. If he could add at least a built in EQ, for example it will help your mixes better (like Auria Pro)... also reduce CPU by adding EQ AU Fx in the project to help you get the desired mix right.. I assume you never used an SSL , or Mackie?.. 😉

• @studs1966 said:
    So what’s the point of putting a mixer within another mixer then?.. 4 pockets has made another mixer make it easier from within AUM standard way.. If he could add at least a built in EQ, for example it will help your mixes better (like Auria Pro)... also reduce CPU by adding EQ AU Fx in the project to help you get the desired mix right.. I assume you never used an SSL , or Mackie?.. 😉

Technically, it's not "a mixer within another mixer" - it's MIDI automation of the AUM mixer controls, with its own graphical representation of the faders in order to overcome the "too many channels to see at once" issue in AUM. The AUv3 does no audio processing of its own, and so it would be impossible to add the audio-processing features you're requesting without fundamentally changing the app.

• edited December 2020

@celtic_elk said:

@studs1966 said:

Technically, it's not "a mixer within another mixer" - it's MIDI automation of the AUM mixer controls, with its own graphical representation of the faders in order to overcome the "too many channels to see at once" issue in AUM. The AUv3 does no audio processing of its own, and so it would be impossible to add the audio-processing features you're requesting without fundamentally changing the app.

Right, it takes a little bit to wrap one's head around the fact that it's really just a MIDI controller for AUM's existing functionality. All this could easily be done in Mozaic or Streambyter or whatnot, but it would lack the immediacy and utility of having a specific GUI to help set it all up (plus tie in the automation to the AUM timeline). I think one potential direction that could perhaps accentuate the MIDI controller nature of this tool is to include some kind of MIDI channel automation in the snapshots. So, something akin to this (but with an easy GUI to set up incoming channels to a pre-built template with each "lane" assigned to individual MIDI channels that can be toggled on/off):

https://patchstorage.com/midi-multicast/

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@celtic_elk said:

@studs1966 said:

Right, it takes a little bit to wrap one's head around the fact that it's really just a MIDI controller for AUM's existing functionality. All this could easily be done in Mozaic or Streambyter or whatnot, but it would lack the immediacy and utility of having a specific GUI to help set it all up (plus tie in the automation to the AUM timeline). I think one potential direction that could perhaps accentuate the MIDI controller nature of this tool is to include some kind of MIDI channel automation in the snapshots. So, something akin to this (but with an easy GUI to set up incoming channels to a pre-built template with each "lane" assigned to individual MIDI channels that can be toggled on/off):

Paul seemed amenable my suggestion for a separate app that would record and automate AU CC values.

• edited December 2020

• Hell yeah, this is like Visual Mixer with way more features and better implementation. Paul is a wizard

• @audiblevideo said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@celtic_elk said:

@studs1966 said:

Paul seemed amenable my suggestion for a separate app that would record and automate AU CC values.

Great, that would be cool and useful.