Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gauss Field Looper update!

Comments

• @Martinj said:
    This makes use of the Loop Decay feature (which makes Gauss even better than Kosmonaut for my ambient frippertronics doodling...)

Beautiful!

• @Gavinski said:
    Beautiful!

Thanks a lot 😊

• Thanks for the inspirational video... I'm going to make something like that now. It looks like
    you can get lost in that waterfall of sound for a good time.

• @Martinj said:
    This makes use of the Loop Decay feature (which makes Gauss even better than Kosmonaut for my ambient frippertronics doodling...)

Great vibes, man.

• @Martinj said:

GORGEOUS.

• edited December 2020

@Martinj said:

Lovely!

• @brambos said:
    I just extensively tried Enso. Ofcourse there are no artifacts there, because the sound doesn't change when you start and stop recording. What you record and what you're monitoring are identical, so there is no need for masking a transition; there is no transition (except when I press stop, I get a nasty "tick" in the recorded data. At least Gauss' recordings are clean.).

I could do the same thing in Gauss, but it would be lame because you wouldn't hear the sequencer movement and the effects immediately as you go.

I have in the meantime been experimenting with the duration of the transitions. By stretching it to 60ms it becomes less noticeable in synth sounds (although it could have an impact on sounds with sharp transients, because those will also get smoothed). I'll try some more, but that's as much as I can do about it as I can.

So, a barely audible muffled puff to mask a huge change in sound output, in exchange for a what-you-hear-is-what-you-get experience, that's the tradeoff.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out. Much appreciated!

• @Gavinski @shortsadvocate @lukesleepwalker @lasselu Thanks a lot 🙂
    @McD Yes, you can easily get lost in playing with those waterfalls...looking forward Zimmerantenne what you‘ll do 🙂

• @Martinj said:

I enjoyed this a shitload. Hearing it gradually tear itself apart over the last minute and a half was such a perfect ending too.

• @Martinj said:

Beautiful! Great atmosphere and also so nicely filmed.

• @brambos : I am using MIDI cc to turn recording off and on and noticed a quirk. If I send the value 127 to turn it on and then at some time later send 127 again to toggle it off, Gauss ignores that second event. It seems that I need to send a value less than 64 after sending 127 for it to see the next 127.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    @brambos : I am using MIDI cc to turn recording off and on and noticed a quirk. If I send the value 127 to turn it on and then at some time later send 127 again to toggle it off, Gauss ignores that second event. It seems that I need to send a value less than 64 after sending 127 for it to see the next 127.

Indeed, that’s the pedal/toggle behvaior that was discussed earlier. You have to press+release the pedal for it to be registered.

If you just send the same value into the plugin it won’t see anything change (remember that the plugin never gets to see the MIDI messages... AUM translates that into constant AU parameter value 1.0 and it will just be a constant value unless you also send it a drop)

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@brambos : I am using MIDI cc to turn recording off and on and noticed a quirk. If I send the value 127 to turn it on and then at some time later send 127 again to toggle it off, Gauss ignores that second event. It seems that I need to send a value less than 64 after sending 127 for it to see the next 127.

That's the "toggle" behavior that was preferred by everyone that commented if I remember correctly. For myself, it's the way I expected / hoped for it to work.

• @Martinj said:

That was great, thanks for sharing!

• @Martinj said:

Lovely stuff, really mellowed me out after a stressful day last night, nice one!

• edited December 2020

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

That's the "toggle" behavior that was preferred by everyone that commented if I remember correctly. For myself, it's the way I expected / hoped for it to work.

I guess I assumed it ignored the 0 event entirely. Some midi toggles do that. Toggle on receipt of high value and completely ignore the low value. I can work around it. I was just surprised.

• @brambos said:

@espiegel123 said:

Indeed, that’s the pedal/toggle behvaior that was discussed earlier. You have to press+release the pedal for it to be registered.

If you just send the same value into the plugin it won’t see anything change (remember that the plugin never gets to see the MIDI messages... AUM translates that into constant AU parameter value 1.0 and it will just be a constant value unless you also send it a drop)

I see. I didn’t realize that it doesn’t get notification of the midi message.

• I just got it and its really cool how its making rhythms out of my lil sounds and even a synth note sample. Im at that fun point where I don't know what's happening but its sounding usable and when your looking for the record performance and its there, life is good. So far so good.... cheers I honestly think bram and the crew did something magic, even the mic input is making musical lil loops and sounds kinda good. I hope its not too cpu intensive and seems good on that end so far...

• I lost the morning to some fun phasemusic/frippertonics explorations.

I set up three Gauss instances with very similar but not exact loop lengths. Fed the same input to two of them (with slightly different effects before Gauss. Very slight tape decay. One those two Gauss units had a loop I liked, I sent my guitar to the third one. As the loops drifted ever more out of phase and started to decay, I'd add the occasional note to one of the loops.

Next exploration is to have use a super slow LFO to make microadjustments to the tape speed and/or warble.

So much fun.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I lost the morning to some fun phasemusic/frippertonics explorations.

I set up three Gauss instances with very similar but not exact loop lengths. Fed the same input to two of them (with slightly different effects before Gauss. Very slight tape decay. One those two Gauss units had a loop I liked, I sent my guitar to the third one. As the loops drifted ever more out of phase and started to decay, I'd add the occasional note to one of the loops.

Next exploration is to have use a super slow LFO to make microadjustments to the tape speed and/or warble.

So much fun.

Sounds lovely, post a screen capture next time!
    It’s nice we can do these things with the transport mappable now

• @brambos Maybe I am doing something wrong, but is there a way to snap to 100, 50 etc... tape speed with a midi controller? I still cant get it to stop at 100... its either 99 or 102. 😟

• edited December 2020

@onerez said:
    @brambos Maybe I am doing something wrong, but is there a way to snap to 100, 50 etc... tape speed with a midi controller? I still cant get it to stop at 100... its either 99 or 102. 😟

First thing I tested also. I still can't hit 100, 50, or 0.

• edited December 2020

@onerez said:
    @brambos Maybe I am doing something wrong, but is there a way to snap to 100, 50 etc... tape speed with a midi controller? I still cant get it to stop at 100... its either 99 or 102. 😟

We discussed this issue in the other Gauss thread. This is something I haven't found an elegant solution for. The problem is: Gauss doesn't receive your MIDI CC messages. You're sending MIDI CC to the host and the host converts those into AU Parameter values which are then sent to the plugin.

How those CC values are converted to parameter values is up to the host (e.g. AUM does that, not Gauss). And the plugin itself will happily accept perfect values, such as 0.5, 0.25, 0.125 etc.

So I could try to be smart and anticipate how AUM converts those CC values... but that would mean you'll never be able to get those wonderfully crunchy 0.01x speed values because it would then always snap to "pause".

It would also mess up any recorded automation session in hosts which support that because when playing back the snap-behavior would make it sound different.

The cleverest thing I have come up with is only snapping to 1.0x speed and -1.0x speed and not the slower snap points (and only when snapping is enabled on the screen). But it feels like an ugly hack.

The 0-127 MIDI CC value range is quite simply not good enough for finely controlling speed :/

• @brambos Sorry I missed it...... I would not mind the snap to 1.0 and -1.0. Thanks for your work!!!!

• edited December 2020

@onerez said:
    @brambos Sorry I missed it...... I would not mind the snap to 1.0 and -1.0. Thanks for your work!!!!

But this would still mess up recorded automation sessions (which will sound different) and smoothly drawn changes (e.g. in Cubasis).

Gauss can't tell the difference between AUM sending a value converted from a MIDI CC message, or a precise value sent by another host or an automation value that was recorded earlier.

I have learned a long time ago that you should never implement host-specific hacks, because those always come back to bite you at some point.

• edited December 2020

@brambos said:

@onerez said:

We discussed this issue in the other Gauss thread. This is something I haven't found an elegant solution for. The problem is: Gauss doesn't receive your MIDI CC messages. You're sending MIDI CC to the host and the host converts those into AU Parameter values which are then sent to the plugin.

How those CC values are converted to parameter values is up to the host (e.g. AUM does that, not Gauss). And the plugin itself will happily accept perfect values, such as 0.5, 0.25, 0.125 etc.

So I could try to be smart and anticipate how AUM converts those CC values... but that would mean you'll never be able to get those wonderfully crunchy 0.01x speed values because it would then always snap to "pause".

It would also mess up any recorded automation session in hosts which support that because when playing back the snap-behavior would make it sound different.

The cleverest thing I have come up with is only snapping to 1.0x speed and -1.0x speed and not the slower snap points (and only when snapping is enabled on the screen). But it feels like an ugly hack.

The 0-127 MIDI CC value range is quite simply not good enough for finely controlling speed :/

0-127 isn't enough for most things unfortunately. Midi 2.0 can't come quickly enough!
    Regardless, thank you for all your efforts!

• @brambos Your right. Thanks though. I can most definitely get around this.

• I'll keep thinking about this, but I'll leave it as is until I find a workaround that 'feels good'. :)

• @brambos What if you added separate AU parameters for the snap values? So if the "0.5 Snap" parameter receives a MIDI input, it snaps to 0.5, etc. That could create some wonkiness if multiple Tape Speed parameters receive concurrent or continuous MIDI inputs, but you'd have to be intentionally trying to break it. Just an idea; it's an amazing app either way.