Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gauss Field Looper update!

Comments

• Sweet. Thank you.

• edited November 2020

@skiphunt said:

@brambos said:

@skiphunt said:

@brambos said:

@skiphunt said:
    @brambos noticed that I can’t select the mic on my Bluetooth headphones. Not that I particularly need or want to use the mic on bluetooth headphones... but does that mean a dedicated wireless mic wouldn’t work either?

I query iOS for available input devices. If the wireless mic would be considered a dedicated input device by iOS it should pop up in the list. I don’t exclude anything so it’s really up to the system to manage the list.

Just checked to see if filmicpro could select a wireless mic. It does, even the one on my headphones... however, you have to switch on “Bluetooth Microphone” in the app for it to detect them.

Yes, in this case that’s logical because it’s apparently seen as “one of the internal mics”. There are 3 in a typical iDevice and I suppose the one in your headphones becomes part of that set. Of the internal mics I always pick the best one in the device itself.

No, I didn’t have it switched on. If you switch it on you can select the mic on the Bluetooth headphones specifically.

Again, I’m not saying this is even necessary, but if one wanted to use an external wireless mic as input, I’m guessing Gauss would also need to have a “Bluetooth Microphone” switch?

Here it is selecting the mic on my headphones

Yes, everything is possible if you're willing to create menu settings for every different configuration (I could bore you with the difference between input devices and input data sources in iOS, but I won't 😉). I just want to support the 90% typical cases for most people in the standalone. The plugin will let you use it in all the other exotic combinations :)

• thank you dude!

• edited November 2020

@brambos said:

@skiphunt said:

@brambos said:

@skiphunt said:

@brambos said:

@skiphunt said:
    @brambos noticed that I can’t select the mic on my Bluetooth headphones. Not that I particularly need or want to use the mic on bluetooth headphones... but does that mean a dedicated wireless mic wouldn’t work either?

I query iOS for available input devices. If the wireless mic would be considered a dedicated input device by iOS it should pop up in the list. I don’t exclude anything so it’s really up to the system to manage the list.

Just checked to see if filmicpro could select a wireless mic. It does, even the one on my headphones... however, you have to switch on “Bluetooth Microphone” in the app for it to detect them.

Yes, in this case that’s logical because it’s apparently seen as “one of the internal mics”. There are 3 in a typical iDevice and I suppose the one in your headphones becomes part of that set. Of the internal mics I always pick the best one in the device itself.

No, I didn’t have it switched on. If you switch it on you can select the mic on the Bluetooth headphones specifically.

Again, I’m not saying this is even necessary, but if one wanted to use an external wireless mic as input, I’m guessing Gauss would also need to have a “Bluetooth Microphone” switch?

Here it is selecting the mic on my headphones

Yes, everything is possible if you're willing to create menu settings for every different configuration (I could bore you with the difference between input devices and input data sources in iOS, but I won't 😉). I just want to support the 90% typical cases for most people in the standalone. The plugin will let you use it in all the other exotic combinations :)

I got that. Yeah, I think I'm getting lost in speculating possibility and not so much focussed on 90% typical use as you say. I do that sometimes. ;) I hesitated to even mention it at all to be honest.

ps. great update by the way! Gracias! :)

• Thanks for the update. Love it even more!

• Support for USB audio interfaces and external audio hardware in the standalone app

Hoorah! Thank you, Bram!

• All transport/record controls exposed as AU Parameters

This is great!.
    Now, I know it’s cheating... but in some cases I’d really want to have the “rec” to start at precisely the beginning of a beat. With the rec being exposed, I guess there’d be a Mozaic script or something to be able to trigger the rec in sync and the beginning of a bar?.

• edited December 2020

@tahiche said:

All transport/record controls exposed as AU Parameters

This is great!.
    Now, I know it’s cheating... but in some cases I’d really want to have the “rec” to start at precisely the beginning of a beat. With the rec being exposed, I guess there’d be a Mozaic script or something to be able to trigger the rec in sync and the beginning of a bar?.

One something would be a sequencer whose note or CC events are mapped to the record toggle.

But reading your message again, I think you're imagining a button in Mozaic that syncs the record trigger to the next beat.

• @mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

This is great!.

One something would be a sequencer whose note or CC events are mapped to the record toggle.

But reading your message again, I think you're imagining a button in Mozaic that syncs the record trigger to the next beat.

If you place a single note in LK, keep Trigger Quantize on and set to 1 bar, and turn off looping for the clip, it makes a perfect Gauss Record trigger in AUM to start recording at the bar division.
    (Of course you have to do the Midi Ctrl routing in AUM, too. Let me know if you need further guidance).

• @mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

This is great!.

Yes, like press rec and have time to reach the note in a guitar... or sing or whatever. Also interesting in the case of drums if being super accurate is of importance.

• edited December 2020

@CracklePot said:

@mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

This is great!.

If you place a single note in LK, keep Trigger Quantize on and set to 1 bar, and turn off looping for the clip, it makes a perfect Gauss Record trigger in AUM to start recording at the bar division.
    (Of course you have to do the Midi Ctrl routing in AUM, too. Let me know if you need further guidance).

Good idea!. I’ve never used LK with loop off. Sounds perfect. And good visual indication too. Winner 👍

Btw: when you do stuff like this in LK. Do you use the automation lane?. Cos i prefer notes in these cases, easier to see and manage. But then you’d need a converter...

• @brambos Thanks man. Serious business and so so great. Appreciate your work.

• @tahiche said:

@CracklePot said:

@mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

This is great!.

Good idea!. I’ve never used LK with loop off. Sounds perfect. And good visual indication too. Winner 👍

Btw: when you do stuff like this in LK. Do you use the automation lane?. Cos i prefer notes in these cases, easier to see and manage. But then you’d need a converter...

No. I put a single note, and in AUM I map the AU parameter to respond to the same note.
    In AUM, you can choose between Note, CC, or Program Change message types to match the type you are sending in.

• @CracklePot said:

@tahiche said:

@CracklePot said:

@mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

This is great!.

No. I put a single note, and in AUM I map the AU parameter to respond to the same note.
    In AUM, you can choose between Note, CC, or Program Change message types to match the type you are sending in.

Damn, that’s right!. You’re helping me out of the “making my life complicated” mode. Thanks!. Gonna try it right now

• @tahiche said:

@CracklePot said:

@tahiche said:

@CracklePot said:

@mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

This is great!.

Damn, that’s right!. You’re helping me out of the “making my life complicated” mode. Thanks!. Gonna try it right now

👍🏻

• @tahiche said:

@CracklePot said:

@tahiche said:

@CracklePot said:

@mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

This is great!.

Super easy. You can do this with atom also. Hence my perfect loop comment.

• @brambos You rock! (and roll)

• Sweet! Thanks.

• @brambos said:

@Gavinski said:
    Great @brambos though there is still some noise when pressing the record button

this is as minimal as it will get.

I gave a session this am with my nice headphones on and was quite surprised by the sound the record button makes when engaged. Brambos I love that app and truly think its fantastic!!!!! But what about that noise in a live situation? Going over some loud PA’s or Monitors that is very audible. Anything you can think of to lessen it?

Thanks for all the updates and I do love the app...... just curious about the 1 thing.

Cheers.

• @onerez said:

@brambos said:

@Gavinski said:
    Great @brambos though there is still some noise when pressing the record button

this is as minimal as it will get.

I gave a session this am with my nice headphones on and was quite surprised by the sound the record button makes when engaged. Brambos I love that app and truly think its fantastic!!!!! But what about that noise in a live situation? Going over some loud PA’s or Monitors that is very audible. Anything you can think of to lessen it?

Thanks for all the updates and I do love the app...... just curious about the 1 thing.

Cheers.

It's good @Gavinski mentioned this. The noise is there, it's minimal but it's there.

• edited December 2020

So there are two types of noise. Which one are we talking about?

• a subtle 30ms low-frequency pffffft sound which masks major sudden discontinuities between monitored playback and recording? This one I can't do anything about unless someone invents a time machine to warn me in advance that the user is going to press that button (or add a 30ms latency to everything, which I'm not willing to do).

• a nasty prprrprprr crackle the first time you press record? This one I thought I had killed. It's the undo feature, writing all the audio data to file before the recording gets overwritten and causing a timeout on slow systems. If it's still there, let me know what kind of device/iOS you're using - because this was supposed to be fixed.

• So the noise I get is the Pfffffffffftttttt. I guess it surprised me a bit as I was isolated in the dark with my cans on. Thanks for the explanation. Once again thank you for all the work on this!!!!!

• This is what it is like for me Bram, very noticeable if performing live.
    (Unlisted vid)

• edited December 2020

Yep, nothing I can do about that. As I said, that's a subtle as it will get, unless you like latency.

• Ok, thanks Bram

• @brambos said:
    Yep, nothing I can do about that. As I said, that's a subtle as it will get, unless you like latency.

Imperfect workaround: audio monitor and Gauss in separate tracks [AUM]. Maybe set up a trigger that starts record in one track and mutes the monitor in the other.

• @zilld2017 said:

@brambos said:

Imperfect workaround: audio monitor and Gauss in separate tracks [AUM]. Maybe set up a trigger that starts record in one track and mutes the monitor in the other.

Can you explain this? Do you mean use 2 busses?

• @brambos said:
    So there are two types of noise. Which one are we talking about?

• a subtle 30ms low-frequency pffffft sound which masks major sudden discontinuities between monitored playback and recording? This one I can't do anything about unless someone invents a time machine to warn me in advance that the user is going to press that button (or add a 30ms latency to everything, which I'm not willing to do).

• a nasty prprrprprr crackle the first time you press record? This one I thought I had killed. It's the undo feature, writing all the audio data to file before the recording gets overwritten and causing a timeout on slow systems. If it's still there, let me know what kind of device/iOS you're using - because this was supposed to be fixed.

A one-bar count in before record option would fix the time machine problem.

• edited December 2020

Here's a quick explanation of the problem: if you want to avoid these sound artifacts, you need to crossfade between the previous audio-stream and the new audiostream. Sudden discontinuities cause clicks, and a crossfade solves that.

Except the new audiostream overwrites the old audiostream as soon the user hits the record button. So there's nothing to crossfade between (you can't "store" the old audio either, because it's live-processed with effects and sequencer, etc. which are needed for the new sound instead).

The only thing I can do is take the last bits of the old stream and spread those out over the beginning of the new stream - essentially stretching the click to a low frequency pfffffffff sound, which is less jarring that a loud "TICK!".

It's a bit more complicated than that (due to monitoring behavior), but it gives you an idea...

• Would Brusfri work live?