Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gauss Field Looper update!

Comments

• @hellquist said:
    I have been using Kosmonaut a bit for doing "retrospective" looping, i.e. looping "what just happened" at a set amount of bars back in time (which can be quite a few bars if you set an external midi controller to that value). It is quite fiddly to get it "right" (seamless) though. Is that functionality in Gauss? Sorry for basic question, I don't know the terminology of "frippertronic" etc, so it might be obvious to the rest here.

Also, in Kosmonaut, one thing that I was missing was to have it start/stop at next Link cycle. Missing it just slightly would create weirdness and not do a seamless loop. I fully appreciate this usage isn't the main use case for Kosmonaut, so this isn't a complaint in the slightest (and it has been quite fun experimenting), but I was wondering if the loop recording in Gauss has a setting that allows it to be timed to the Link cycles? Much like AUM does perfect loops (if you press record whilst it is running it will start recording at the next cycle, etc).

No, record must be pressed manually in Gauss, there is no way to set it so that it will start recording at the start of the next bar etc

• @Gavinski said:

@hellquist said:
    I have been using Kosmonaut a bit for doing "retrospective" looping, i.e. looping "what just happened" at a set amount of bars back in time (which can be quite a few bars if you set an external midi controller to that value). It is quite fiddly to get it "right" (seamless) though. Is that functionality in Gauss? Sorry for basic question, I don't know the terminology of "frippertronic" etc, so it might be obvious to the rest here.

Also, in Kosmonaut, one thing that I was missing was to have it start/stop at next Link cycle. Missing it just slightly would create weirdness and not do a seamless loop. I fully appreciate this usage isn't the main use case for Kosmonaut, so this isn't a complaint in the slightest (and it has been quite fun experimenting), but I was wondering if the loop recording in Gauss has a setting that allows it to be timed to the Link cycles? Much like AUM does perfect loops (if you press record whilst it is running it will start recording at the next cycle, etc).

No, record must be pressed manually in Gauss, there is no way to set it so that it will start recording at the start of the next bar etc

Thanks. Guess it also doesn't do the "retrospective" (what just happened) looping either, but the more conventional looping-what-will-happen?

I love the "retrospective" thing in Kosmonaut when I'm fiddling about with sketches/ideas and having it ready to loop something I just did, as opposed to me trying to do what I just did (which might have been a happy accident) again. :)

• @hellquist said:

@Gavinski said:

@hellquist said:

Thanks. Guess it also doesn't do the "retrospective" (what just happened) looping either, but the more conventional looping-what-will-happen?

I love the "retrospective" thing in Kosmonaut when I'm fiddling about with sketches/ideas and having it ready to loop something I just did, as opposed to me trying to do what I just did (which might have been a happy accident) again. :)

Not hundred percent sure what u mean by retrospective, but I think I know what you are saying. It does Frippertronic stuff now after the update. You can just sent record and overdub, and set a record decay amount, and then it will just keep overdubbing on top of tje old stuff, depending on the record decay value you can have each previous loop disappear very slowly or very quickly, is that what you are looking for? If so, Gauss can certainly do the job. 👍

• edited December 2020

@Gavinski said:

@hellquist said:

@Gavinski said:

@hellquist said:

Not hundred percent sure what u mean by retrospective, but I think I know what you are saying. It does Frippertronic stuff now after the update. You can just sent record and overdub, and set a record decay amount, and then it will just keep overdubbing on top of tje old stuff, depending on the record decay value you can have each previous loop disappear very slowly or very quickly, is that what you are looking for? If so, Gauss can certainly do the job. 👍

Hehe, yeah, sorry, let me explain what I mean with "retrospective":

In Kosmonaut the "tape" runs all the time, picking up what you pass through its reach, regardless of if you are playing/recording or not. You can set how many bars "backwards" it should be looking, from 0-127. I guess it stores it in a buffer and discards the oldest when reaching the set limit.

If you set it to look back at, say, 16 bars, you can leave it at that (inactive, not recording, not playing) and continue doing your thing (fiddling with a synth, trying out a lick on a guitar or whatever). All of a sudden you do/hear something that was really cool, so you trigger Kosmonaut (I use a foot pedal for this). It will then create a loop of the current buffer (the last 16 bars on the "tape" in my example) and it will start looping.

The tricky thing here is to trigger it exactly enough in timing to have it being completely usable, otherwise any deviation will slowly roll it out of sync, or more common still, there will be a very audible pop/click at the start of the loop it created.

So, basically, it can loop "what has happened" (which is why I call it "retrospective", though that probably isn't a common looper term). I have set the amount of bars it should "look back in time" to an adjustable knob on my midi keyboard. As mentioned I trigger the loop creation with a foot pedal, but I would prefer if it did the start of the loop based on my current/next Link cycle, as provided I have played on the beat it would be quite likely the loop becomes more usable.

EDIT: I just remembered I created a video on that Kosmonaut looping thing as a reply to a question in FB iPad Musician group some time ago. It can be seen here.

• @hellquist The behavior you’re describing should be achievable by combining Gauss with a custom Mozaic script and a little ingenuity. What you want to do is to leave Gauss recording with overdub on, feedback at zero, and volume at zero while you play, and then trigger the Mozaic script to end recording and raise the volume at the next start-of-measure after you give it the signal.

• @hellquist I think you are looking for Loopy Pro based on how @Michael has described it in recent threads. Let's hoping it arrives soon!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @hellquist I think you are looking for Loopy Pro based on how @Michael has described it in recent threads. Let's hoping it arrives soon!

Hehe, perhaps. To be honest I have treated Loopy Pro as I treat unicorns and dragons for the last couple of years. What I'd actually need is just a feature tweak/addition in Kosmonaut and I'd be right where I need to be I think.

@celtic_elk ah, yes, that's an idea. Not even sure I'd need Mozaic for that, given my midi controllers and depending on what controllers that are exposed to AUM, right? I should get in to Mozaic more properly I think, bought it a long time ago, including the good editors etc, but haven't actually done something of my own in it as patchstorage has so many great scripts already.

• @hellquist said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @hellquist I think you are looking for Loopy Pro based on how @Michael has described it in recent threads. Let's hoping it arrives soon!

Hehe, perhaps. To be honest I have treated Loopy Pro as I treat unicorns and dragons for the last couple of years.

Yeah 🙄 Not long now though and it’ll be out for reals.

• not really needed since you can just record the loop to another instance of gauss, but if you could bake in the changes you make to the sequencer/ filter etc then they would be in the actual audio loop that would be sweet, then you could change the parameters over top of that and get weirder

• @reasOne said:
    not really needed since you can just record the loop to another instance of gauss, but if you could bake in the changes you make to the sequencer/ filter etc then they would be in the actual audio loop that would be sweet, then you could change the parameters over top of that and get weirder

The sequencer changes already do get baked into the loop if it’s enabled during recording

• @brambos said:

@reasOne said:
    not really needed since you can just record the loop to another instance of gauss, but if you could bake in the changes you make to the sequencer/ filter etc then they would be in the actual audio loop that would be sweet, then you could change the parameters over top of that and get weirder

The sequencer changes already do get baked into the loop if it’s enabled during recording

ahh ya that’s cool! i’ve always applied all the settings post recording... that’s great, didn’t realize that!

• @reasOne said:

@brambos said:

@reasOne said:

ahh ya that’s cool! i’ve always applied all the settings post recording... that’s great, didn’t realize that!

Any tape speed changes during recording (either manual or automated) affect what’s being recorded, so that includes the sequencer :)

• @brambos said:

@reasOne said:

@brambos said:

@reasOne said:

Any tape speed changes during recording (either manual or automated) affect what’s being recorded, so that includes the sequencer :)

perfect!

• question: how are you guys getting your loops from gauss auv3 into an audio track in a daw? or for any use after the loop of built

• Easiest is just use AUM to record the channel it's on.

• Hm I got that wrong. Unfortunately Hainbach was referring to a digital decaying and not n Update That was immanent. Has anyone an idea how to get this form of degradation (1982 + decay) into a more analog one - probably with filter and EQ to get rid of these nasty low bits fragments?

• Thank you !!!!!!! Best wishes for you Bram Bos <3

• Picked up Gauss today and loving it. I rock it in AUM and can't see how to save the presets besides using AUMs preset saving. I saved something in AUM to the Plugin but when I open the standalone, it's not available under user presets. I guess you can't save presets in AUM to go to the standalone, but you can the other direction?

• Would love to see this app on Mac to be honest getting constant use on my ipad. Hope it makes it one day.

• I notice that in the 1.01 update "All transport/record controls exposed as AU Parameters" - does this mean that it's possible to trigger "Record" by automation now? This would make Gauss a lot more useful to me if so, given how I normally work with loopers.

• @craftycurate said:
    I notice that in the 1.01 update "All transport/record controls exposed as AU Parameters" - does this mean that it's possible to trigger "Record" by automation now? This would make Gauss a lot more useful to me if so, given how I normally work with loopers.

Yes, you can use MIDI cc's to toggle recording.

• @espiegel123 said:

@craftycurate said:
    I notice that in the 1.01 update "All transport/record controls exposed as AU Parameters" - does this mean that it's possible to trigger "Record" by automation now? This would make Gauss a lot more useful to me if so, given how I normally work with loopers.

Yes, you can use MIDI cc's to toggle recording.

Great thanks!

• @CracklePot said:

@mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

All transport/record controls exposed as AU Parameters

This is great!.
    Now, I know it’s cheating... but in some cases I’d really want to have the “rec” to start at precisely the beginning of a beat. With the rec being exposed, I guess there’d be a Mozaic script or something to be able to trigger the rec in sync and the beginning of a bar?.

One something would be a sequencer whose note or CC events are mapped to the record toggle.

But reading your message again, I think you're imagining a button in Mozaic that syncs the record trigger to the next beat.

If you place a single note in LK, keep Trigger Quantize on and set to 1 bar, and turn off looping for the clip, it makes a perfect Gauss Record trigger in AUM to start recording at the bar division.
    (Of course you have to do the Midi Ctrl routing in AUM, too. Let me know if you need further guidance).

What is lk?

• @Bele said:

@CracklePot said:

@mojozart said:

@tahiche said:

All transport/record controls exposed as AU Parameters

This is great!.
    Now, I know it’s cheating... but in some cases I’d really want to have the “rec” to start at precisely the beginning of a beat. With the rec being exposed, I guess there’d be a Mozaic script or something to be able to trigger the rec in sync and the beginning of a bar?.

One something would be a sequencer whose note or CC events are mapped to the record toggle.

But reading your message again, I think you're imagining a button in Mozaic that syncs the record trigger to the next beat.

If you place a single note in LK, keep Trigger Quantize on and set to 1 bar, and turn off looping for the clip, it makes a perfect Gauss Record trigger in AUM to start recording at the bar division.
    (Of course you have to do the Midi Ctrl routing in AUM, too. Let me know if you need further guidance).

What is lk?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lk-for-ableton-live-midi/id944972221

• Just bought it... very very nice indeed, thank you

• Is there a way to use the Overdub feature on this without it playing the live initial play of what is being overdubbed?

For example:

1. I play a line into Gauss, then let it start looping with the loop decay set so that it disappears somewhat quickly after the first go-around.

2. I hit overdub and record to then let Gauss pick up the next thing being played, however, I don't want to HEAR the next thing being played until the recording of the overdub is done and it goes back to the beginning of the "tape".

3. Repeat 2 until piece is done.

• Whats the best way to return to original sample via midi? Or not have to tweak all sequencer and trig knobs Dont think you can. Would be cool as this app is great.

• Would be cool a button that by passes all sequencing ( toggle on/off ) Like record does.