Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gauss Field Looper update!

Comments

• Thanks @brambos How do other loopers avoid this? For example I don't get this pfff with Enso.

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks @brambos How do other loopers avoid this? For example I don't get this pfff with Enso.

They're different apps with different audio flows.

• edited December 2020

But it's great to hear you're all appreciating all the new stuff we've added to the app. :D

• I do love these features too. I guess for me then Gauss is something I will use for recording loops rather than live looping. I do love it, have made a lot of great stuff with it.

• @brambos said:
    But it's great to hear you're all appreciating all the new stuff we've added to the app. :D

Loop decay is da bombdiggity yo. :)

• edited December 2020

@Gavinski said:

@zilld2017 said:

@brambos said:
    Yep, nothing I can do about that. As I said, that's a subtle as it will get, unless you like latency.

Imperfect workaround: audio monitor and Gauss in separate tracks [AUM]. Maybe set up a trigger that starts record in one track and mutes the monitor in the other.

Can you explain this? Do you mean use 2 busses?

Yep. Something like this maybe?

EDIT: the key is to turn off Monitor in Gauss. Oh, and it’s one bus.

• Should have some sort of record sound fix soon. Was going to buy enso for £2 as Drambo dosent delete record layers ( not even sure if enso does )

Hope to dedicate 2 gauss to a faderfox knobs. Maybe more ( but these without knobs )

Not sure what the bus send is acheiving apart from monitor always be on ( which is cool )

Thanks.

• @sigma79 said:
    Should have some sort of record sound fix soon. Was going to buy enso for £2 as Drambo dosent delete record layers ( not even sure if enso does )

Hope to dedicate 2 gauss to a faderfox knobs. Maybe more ( but these without knobs )

Not sure what the bus send is acheiving apart from monitor always be on ( which is cool )

Thanks.

The click comes when the monitor is on in Gauss, not the recording. Monitor in a separate track-no click.

• Bram will fix it. Keep ya wigs > @zilld2017 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Should have some sort of record sound fix soon. Was going to buy enso for £2 as Drambo dosent delete record layers ( not even sure if enso does )

Thanks.

The click comes when the monitor is on in Gauss, not the recording. Monitor in a separate track-no click.

But it still clicks when you record?

Montior was off. Bus send. Still click when record on or off.

• edited December 2020

• edited December 2020

@sigma79 said:

You can MIDI map Rec, Clear and Remove in Flexi Sampler. Use multiple Flexis for independent layers.
    It has been added quite recently.

• edited December 2020

@rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:

You can MIDI map Rec, Clear and Remove in Flexi Sampler. Use multiple Flexis for independent layers.
    It has been added quite recently.

Yeah I know. Its auv3 and Iv got a session and many flexy. I guess I was just testing with layers and delete layers ( like gauss ) Good apps like TC arnt auv3.

If it were you that said you wasnt sure how to be able to press record once in Drambo? For on and off? You let the sequencer run. Record via pattern ( even blank ), then stop record. If you then use clear. Every recording then records on and off with one press.

Anyway of routing TC to various drambos without a weird amp or duplicate effect? I think.

• It were either you or Grav.

• @sigma79 said:
    Bram will fix it. Keep ya wigs > @zilld2017 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks.

lol always posting comments in draft. Its almost like being in court.

• @Gavinski said:
    I do love these features too. I guess for me then Gauss is something I will use for recording loops rather than live looping. I do love it, have made a lot of great stuff with it.

or you can always do it Hainbach-style.. using real tape

• can someone explain what the loop decay actually does, or some practical uses? im a bit confused by it currently

• @sigma79 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks.

If the send to the monitor channel is positioned before Gauss, then Gauss is not an issue. No click.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    can someone explain what the loop decay actually does, or some practical uses? im a bit confused by it currently

It will make the recording fade out slowly (or fast, at higher settings) with each pass.

Look up “Frippertronics” to get the idea:

https://happymag.tv/frippertronics-how-robert-fripp-and-brian-eno-introduced-looping-to-the-world/

• @zilld2017 said:

@sigma79 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks.

If the send to the monitor channel is positioned before Gauss, then Gauss is not an issue. No click.

Yes, but then you are going to have the other issue of the monitor not stopping when gauss finishes its recording unless u somehow manage to turn that channel off at exactly the same time, I don't see this as a solution. For clean live performance with a looper you need no clicks when pressing record and for the monitor to turn off automatically at record end.

• edited December 2020

• edited December 2020

I just extensively tried Enso. Ofcourse there are no artifacts there, because the sound doesn't change when you start and stop recording. What you record and what you're monitoring are identical, so there is no need for masking a transition; there is no transition (except when I press stop, I get a nasty "tick" in the recorded data. At least Gauss' recordings are clean.).

I could do the same thing in Gauss, but it would be lame because you wouldn't hear the sequencer movement and the effects immediately as you go.

I have in the meantime been experimenting with the duration of the transitions. By stretching it to 60ms it becomes less noticeable in synth sounds (although it could have an impact on sounds with sharp transients, because those will also get smoothed). I'll try some more, but that's as much as I can do about it as I can.

So, a barely audible muffled puff to mask a huge change in sound output, in exchange for a what-you-hear-is-what-you-get experience, that's the tradeoff.

• With all the crazyness going on with the speed changes, envelopes triggering, warble, and inertia effect, I would have never noticed this noise puff on my own.

I didn’t notice the previous loop point noise that got fixed either, though.

• @CracklePot said:
    With all the crazyness going on with the speed changes, envelopes triggering, warble, and inertia effect, I would have never noticed this noise puff on my own.

I didn’t notice the previous loop point noise that got fixed either, though.

Ha - me neither. I did notice the crazy sh*t I could do with Gauss that I couldn't possibly do with anything else, though...

On a side note: the mention of Fripp has lodged "Starless & Bible Black" in my brain, which is an interesting side effect.

• edited December 2020

@brambos The side effect highly depends on the material used so there is no one single value that would ever make everyone happy.
    Why not make this transition time a simple adjustable knob?

Edit: Since the UI is busy enough, a double tap on "loop decay" to switch to transition time adjustment might be the best/most straightforward option.

• Definitely Gauss makes cleaner loops Bram, no question. It is the better app for recording loops for sure. Enso is not perfect, as you say the recording is not always clean. That's why there have been a lot of complaints about it here in the forum. I guess the moral of the story is that it is hard to make the perfect looper app for all situations - both live and recorded. Weighing up the options, on balance probably a clean recording is more important.

• @Gavinski said:

@zilld2017 said:

@sigma79 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks.

Yes, but then you are going to have the other issue of the monitor not stopping when gauss finishes its recording unless u somehow manage to turn that channel off at exactly the same time, I don't see this as a solution. For clean live performance with a looper you need no clicks when pressing record and for the monitor to turn off automatically at record end.

There is that. On the other hand, it’s not strictly a looper is it? On least in the devs conception.

• @zilld2017 said:

@Gavinski said:

@zilld2017 said:

@sigma79 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks.

There is that. On the other hand, it’s not strictly a looper is it? On least in the devs conception.

No. It's a looper, it's just not a typical sync looper.

• edited December 2020

I haven't personally really run into big problems with the audio artifacts in either Gauss or Enso as you can work around them, I find that's just the nature of this workflow. The advantage of Enso is you can see the waveform and easily adjust the loop points if you get any noise you don't want. Very happy with what you can do in both apps now and Gauss combined with Enso cover a lot of situations. The loop decay option and new recording automation are great :)

• This makes use of the Loop Decay feature (which makes Gauss even better than Kosmonaut for my ambient frippertronics doodling...)