Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gauss Field Looper update!

14567810»

Comments

• Apologies if this has already been discussed, but when I turn the gain fully anti-clockwise (i.e off), I can still hear the signal that I’m monitoring. I want to have 3 or 4 instances of Gauss open, all playing long loops, and have total silence at the start, and end of each one…gradually fading my sound in and then out over the course of, say, 30 secs. Anyone know why I can still hear stuff with the gain right down? @brambos ?

• @Kashi said:
    Apologies if this has already been discussed, but when I turn the gain fully anti-clockwise (i.e off), I can still hear the signal that I’m monitoring. I want to have 3 or 4 instances of Gauss open, all playing long loops, and have total silence at the start, and end of each one…gradually fading my sound in and then out over the course of, say, 30 secs. Anyone know why I can still hear stuff with the gain right down? @brambos ?

Why use the gain for that? I’d use the volume control to do the fading as the gain is just to set recording levels and not for playback level control. Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do :)

• I think you’re misunderstanding @brambos . How would I use the volume control on several instances of Gauss simultaneously? Unless you mean controlling it with an LFO?
    Thanks for getting back to me ☺️

• Yeah, I just tried this and I see what Kashi is saying. If you record a loop, let’s say a 20-second loop, and let’s say you have the gain fully down for the first and last 5 seconds of recording, when you play back the loop, even that first and last 5 seconds has sound. So basically turning gain down fully is not able to result in pure silence in the recording.

• edited December 2022

@Gavinski said:
    Yeah, I just tried this and I see what Kashi is saying. If you record a loop, let’s say a 20-second loop, and let’s say you have the gain fully down for the first and last 5 seconds of recording, when you play back the loop, even that first and last 5 seconds has sound. So basically turning gain down fully is not able to result in pure silence in the recording.

Thats exactly what I’m saying!

• edited December 2022

@Kashi said:

@Gavinski said:
    Yeah, I just tried this and I see what Kashi is saying. If you record a loop, let’s say a 20-second loop, and let’s say you have the gain fully down for the first and last 5 seconds of recording, when you play back the loop, even that first and last 5 seconds has sound. So basically turning gain down fully is not able to result in pure silence in the recording.

Right, got it. It probably goes down to -48dB, which is usually enough to make sure your input signal stops clipping (that’s what it was designed to do, hence the signal LEDs next to the knob). We never intended it to be modulated, because typically you modulate the source itself.

I can put it on the list for a future update :)

For now you can probably achieve what you want by making a group channel in AUM and using AUM’s fader of that channel to control the input signal.

• @brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@Gavinski said:

Right, got it. It probably goes down to -48dB, which is usually enough to make sure your input signal stops clipping (that’s what it was designed to do, hence the signal LEDs next to the knob). We never intended it to be modulated, because typically you modulate the source itself.

I can put it on the list for a future update :)

For now you can probably achieve what you want by making a group channel in AUM and using AUM’s fader of that channel to control the input signal.

Cool. Not a big deal really - I can find workarounds, like you suggest @brambos . Thanks man!

• So do you guys get a small noise when the record button is pressed? This makes it unusable for a live situation. I’ve used mini loopers and I’ve never had this problem before I don’t see why it happens on this looper. What a shame I have to delete this but for me it’s pretty much useless as it is. Still looking for that perfect looper that doesn’t exist in iOS yet.

• edited June 2023

@colorsinspace said:
    Still looking for that perfect looper that doesn’t exist in iOS yet.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but have you tried Loopy Pro?

• @colorsinspace said:
    Still looking for that perfect looper that doesn’t exist in iOS yet.

I don’t think I’d be alone here in saying that Loopy Pro is pretty darn close to perfect.

• @colorsinspace said:
    So do you guys get a small noise when the record button is pressed? This makes it unusable for a live situation. I’ve used mini loopers and I’ve never had this problem before I don’t see why it happens on this looper. What a shame I have to delete this but for me it’s pretty much useless as it is. Still looking for that perfect looper that doesn’t exist in iOS yet.

yes…unusable for a live situation because of this. I brought this up before and Bram mentioned that it was a trade-off that would make loops cross fade better. Probably loopy pro is your best choice for live looping. I do really wish that Gauss could be that looper, because it is so great in so many ways, but it fails in this area

• edited June 2023

Yes, it's a tradeoff we unfortunately had to make in order to make it possible to hear - in realtime, while recording - what the end result would sound like.

We initially had a normal recording mode, like other loopers, but you'd just hear what you were recording, without all the other mangling and layering going on at the same time.

Indeed, it has to do with crossfading. I have done everything possible to make the cross-over moment as smooth as possible and really, with most kinds of material you won't hear it.

This is not something that can be "fixed" without losing the ability to hear the end result while recording; and Gauss was mostly designed as a recorder rather than a live instrument so that's where our priorities were.

• @colorsinspace said:
    So do you guys get a small noise when the record button is pressed? This makes it unusable for a live situation. I’ve used mini loopers and I’ve never had this problem before I don’t see why it happens on this looper. What a shame I have to delete this but for me it’s pretty much useless as it is. Still looking for that perfect looper that doesn’t exist in iOS yet.

Loopy Pro is a pretty awesome and flexible looper...and a fine host, too.

• I was having issues with the sync and all my loops sounded whack, but I’m gonna try Loopy Pro again.

• @colorsinspace said:
    I was having issues with the sync and all my loops sounded whack, but I’m gonna try Loopy Pro again.

Also I learned Enso today and this seems to be my cup of tea. There are some things that I wish were added, but it’s working good.

• @colorsinspace said:
    I was having issues with the sync and all my loops sounded whack, but I’m gonna try Loopy Pro again.

If you have a problem, let us know and we can help. What you describe isn’t typical. If you run into a problem like that. Let us know the details (posting a demonstration can help a lot..issues like that are often the result of some combination of settings that can be changed).

• @espiegel123 said:

@colorsinspace said:

If you have a problem, let us know and we can help. What you describe isn’t typical. If you run into a problem like that. Let us know the details (posting a demonstration can help a lot..issues like that are often the result of some combination of settings that can be changed).

Awesome thanks.

• Posting this here as well:

Am just opening lots of old projects to find that there's nothing coming out of Gauss (?!!) The playheads are running but it's like the audio has just been deleted. Anyone know why this is happening?

• Am just opening lots of old projects to find that there's nothing coming out of Gauss (?!!) The playheads are running but it's like the audio has just been deleted. Anyone know why this is happening?

I just tried a bunch of old projects and they all seem to work. If you want you can send me one of the problematic projects so I can have a look what's up.

• @brambos said:

Am just opening lots of old projects to find that there's nothing coming out of Gauss (?!!) The playheads are running but it's like the audio has just been deleted. Anyone know why this is happening?

I just tried a bunch of old projects and they all seem to work. If you want you can send me one of the problematic projects so I can have a look what's up.

Thanks man. Let me know how to do that, and where to send it to...

• @Kashi said:

@brambos said:

Best to compress/zip it up and email it to me (info at ruismaker dot com).

• @brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

OK, sorry, I really am very very dumb - how do I compress an AUM project? I tried long-holding on a project but couldn't see an option to compress/zip (?)

• @Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

OK, sorry, I really am very very dumb - how do I compress an AUM project? I tried long-holding on a project but couldn't see an option to compress/zip (?)

You have to do it inside the files app. If you do you should get the compress option when you long press on something 🥂

• @Gavinski said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

You have to do it inside the files app. If you do you should get the compress option when you long press on something 🥂

Got it. Cheers Gav

• @Kashi said:

@Gavinski said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

Got it. Cheers Gav

Or dump the file to your mac/pc and do it from there. I find that usually easier than dealing with iOS Files app ;)

• @brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

Ok, just emailed you. Thanks

• @brambos Hi,

I’m re-exploring Gauss for overdubbed recordings. It’s so great for this, even without the main effects!

Quick question… if I set the loop decay to 25%, is that the rate/speed of decay? Or, will it decay by 25% total and then stop decaying?

Also, if I’ve decayed my first recording by 25% and then turn off decay… then overdub a new recording on top of the decayed initial recording… then turn decay loop back on at 25%, will Gauss only decay the fresh recording by 25%? Or will it decay the combined overdubbed recording by 25%?

• edited November 2023

@skiphunt said:
    @brambos Hi,

I’m re-exploring Gauss for overdubbed recordings. It’s so great for this, even without the main effects!

Quick question… if I set the loop decay to 25%, is that the rate/speed of decay? Or, will it decay by 25% total and then stop decaying?

Also, if I’ve decayed my first recording by 25% and then turn off decay… then overdub a new recording on top of the decayed initial recording… then turn decay loop back on at 25%, will Gauss only decay the fresh recording by 25%? Or will it decay the combined overdubbed recording by 25%?

If you set it to 0% there will be no degradation, if you set it to 100% everything will be erased after one loop. If you set it to 25%, each loop will be 25% quieter than the last.

If you overdub something on top of it, the decay will then be applied to the entire summed recording. It's a tape after all.

It's really exactly how ye olde Frippertronics technique works :)

• edited November 2023

@brambos said:

@skiphunt said:
    @brambos Hi,

If you set it to 0% there will be no degradation, if you set it to 100% everything will be erased after one loop. If you set it to 25%, each loop will be 25% quieter than the last.

If you overdub something on top of it, the decay will then be applied to the entire summed recording. It's a tape after all.

It's really exactly how ye olde Frippertronics technique works :)

Perfect. That’s all mostly what I assumed.

Better than Frippertronics… since you can better control the decay, and/or stop the decay where you want. :)

Thanks!