Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is NanoStudio 2 going to be updated ever again? Resolved.

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@LeeB said:
    The same old faces moaning again.

The same old faces churning out the 'we've been spoilt/apps are cheap' line, when most of us have spent thousands on our iOS music making hobby and supporting developers for years with our hard earned money, and encouraging others to do so.

If you don't have balance on a forum, and anyone daring to voice an opposing view is jumped on and insulted, then you don't have a forum that has value when it comes to making an app buying choice, as everyone will tell you it's just brilliant. Oh, and it's only the 'price of a cup of coffee'.

Aside from a few members on here, I wouldn't trust most of you to recommend what colour socks I should wear. 'WEAR ALL OF THEM MONZO - ALL THE COLOURS!!! SUPPORT THE SOCK MAKERS'

How about these? πŸ˜ƒ

• edited September 2020

Number 1 rule in buying software: buy it for what it has

Number 1 rule in selling a product: don’t promise what you can’t deliver

Should people have bought it with the expectation that it would have audio tracks? From one perspective, definitely not. From the other, it was promised by a dev who has delivered a quality product, so it’s reasonable to trust that.

The real crux of the issue is what was mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe by the wise @richardyot. This platform is not fully matured and won’t be for quite some time. If you’re expecting to be able to do on iOS what you can do on a laptop or desktop, you have unrealistic expectations. Will the day come eventually? Most likely. Will it be as quickly as any of us would like? No.

If you can’t deal with the realities of iOS music production where it is today, that’s absolutely fine. Do what you need to do to create and be happy. But don’t make it everyone else’s problem. Plenty of us make it work and are okay powering through.

• @MonzoPro said:

Are you interviewing me for a job, or deliberately missing the point of my comment concerning lack of visibility, and instead having a pissing contest over coding?

You were the one that was suggesting your day job had similar technical complexity to Nanostudio. I would probably lose a pissing contest over coding with Matt for whatever that's worth.

• This thread is derailing big time from the topic and will soon turn into an ugly example that will bring out the worst in everyone.

It's a perfectly valid to question if or when an app will get updated or not and since those who really know (ie. the developer or developers) are not present here it quickly turns into guessing and speculation over what's actually happening.

It's very easy to fall into 'developer protection mode' when the app feels like a 'pet' or 'loved one' but that does not automatically grant the right to bash those who do not agree when it's pretty obvious that there is no open communication between the end users and the developer.

It's like 'radio silence'. We just have to 'hope' that something is going on and that taxes the patience especially if some features were promised when the app was initially released. This goes for more way apps than the one in the thread topic.

Also If the app happens to have some kind of mutual agreement between the developer and testers they can not tell even if they wanted to. Some apps require a very strict NDA and if someone even mentions they are testing it they are violating that agreement...

Considering that many apps are 'one man shows' we can not expect '24/7 big company support'.

Some of even more advanced apps are more like 'hobby projects' for the developer (ie. they don't rely on app-sales for their livelihood, it's more like a 'bonus') while for others are their 'main income' and it's this difference that can be confusing.

I have no clue regarding the status of NS2 or any other apps for that matter and I've honestly stopped 'caring' if we get an update we get one, if not then that's ok too...

Cheers!

• edited September 2020

@robosardine said:

@MonzoPro said:

@LeeB said:
    The same old faces moaning again.

The same old faces churning out the 'we've been spoilt/apps are cheap' line, when most of us have spent thousands on our iOS music making hobby and supporting developers for years with our hard earned money, and encouraging others to do so.

If you don't have balance on a forum, and anyone daring to voice an opposing view is jumped on and insulted, then you don't have a forum that has value when it comes to making an app buying choice, as everyone will tell you it's just brilliant. Oh, and it's only the 'price of a cup of coffee'.

Aside from a few members on here, I wouldn't trust most of you to recommend what colour socks I should wear. 'WEAR ALL OF THEM MONZO - ALL THE COLOURS!!! SUPPORT THE SOCK MAKERS'

How about these? πŸ˜ƒ

You've been peeking in my sock drawer again!

@cian said:

@MonzoPro said:

Are you interviewing me for a job, or deliberately missing the point of my comment concerning lack of visibility, and instead having a pissing contest over coding?

You were the one that was suggesting your day job had similar technical complexity to Nanostudio.

Fake news. You repeatedly insinuate that it doesn't, and I'm having to constantly remind you that you have absolutely no idea what I have done in my career, or what my skills are. You're trolling, and I'm being stupid enough to respond. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the points I've raised.

For the umpteenth time my comment has nothing whatsoever to do about coding skills or technical complexities, but about the importance of visibility for online businesses. It stops threads like these from being started, which damage reputations, and ensures new customers aren't scared off by a company that hasn't communicated for a year.

How many times do I have to repeat this?

• It’s not a DAW without audio. A DW maybe. But not a DAW.

• I simply asked if NS 2 was potentially abandoned. I didnt say it was.

Sensitive subject I see.

• @Bill_Brasky said:
    I simply asked if NS 2 was potentially abandoned. I didnt say it was.

Sensitive subject I see.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€
    Simple answer...I don’t think so
    Have trust πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½

• It p> @Bill_Brasky said:

Sensitive subject I see.

It probably hasn't been abandoned. The developer has a long history of supporting both apps, and also a long history of radio silence for extended periods.

Intua - have a history of doing weird shit, not delivering on promises and basically being unreliable.

Matt - has a history of being very slow at developing stuff, he's an obsessive perfectionist, but he's always delivered in the past. He will deliver it at some time. But that could be a year from now, or could be tomorrow. He's never not delivered on a promise and he's never been remotely on time.

I wouldn't make any plans that involve Audio. When it finally does get audio I'm sure it will be amazing. But that could be December 2021 :smile:

• @Bill_Brasky said:

Sensitive subject I see.

You have to be careful - there's a couple of apps on here that have cult-like followings. This is one of them.

As for functionality updates, I bought it because of comments like this, from one of the beta testers in December 2018:

"audio tracks - they’re sheduled for summer 2019... matt already needed to release it (and people asked for it a lot) .. there is already some preparation for audio tracks inside code, so definitely its one of most important milestones for next year... difference ween ns1 and ns2 is that with ns2 audio tracks (and many other features which will one day come) were part of plan from very beginning of app developement, so app is ready for such improvement."

• I bought it at full price which I believe was $59. Expecting a daw but I got a sequencer and a synth. I hoped for audio, but gave up.

It is a great sequencer and synth. I use it and import the tracks to my desktop daw.

It is what it is.

I gave up on IOS for Daws, NS2 never got audio, Stienberg F@#%!* up Cubasis 2 then released the buggiest CB3, Auria Pro crashes

At least NS2 has the best sequencer and Obsidian so I can use it, the others not so much

• @MonzoPro : I agree that he could communicate more -- and I do get frustrated that he doesn't pop up his head every few months just to say "hi, I'm alive and still working on NS2."

But that is different from saying that (as you did) that being more active (and posting demos, etc) would be good for business. It might, or it might not. You mention creating sound packs and videos and engaging more actively. Those things MIGHT be good for business -- or they actually might not. It is quite possible that he knows from his experience what sort of revenue such things would generate -- and he may have found that they don't generate much revenue at all -- compared to putting in the time to develop the app. (Every posted demo and sound pack takes time -- not just to develop but then to respond to the email they create -- that all might seem trivial to you -- but if it generates next to no additional revenue and you are already maxed out on time -- a reasonable person might skip it).

He has expressed regrets for having promised getting audio tracks done and having given any timeframe for their completion. He goofed about that. And he knows it. And that is probably why he is especially silent.

My main point is just that one should be cautious about knowing what makes business sense where iOS music app development is concerned. The economics are really crappy.

• @ralis said:
    I bought it at full price which I believe was $59. Expecting a daw but I got a sequencer and a synth. I hoped for audio, but gave up.

It was and it is 19,99$😝😝😝...cubasis & auria pro 49,99$

• @DarkAum said:

@ralis said:
    I bought it at full price which I believe was $59. Expecting a daw but I got a sequencer and a synth. I hoped for audio, but gave up.

When it launched it was NOT 19.99

• It was $30, with I think $80 or $100 in IAPs.

I'm not outraged, and I'm not too worried, but with each month that passes, I do become slightly more worried. I would at least like to know that bug fixes would be released if an iOS update changed/broke something relating to virtual MIDI. It has the best "piano roll" for CC automation.

So I do hope Matt is okay. It's an ambitious undertaking, but he did decide to create a tool that can become the foundation of a person's music creation workflow, so I hope he'll have the energy to rise to the challenge.

• @ralis said:

It was and it is 19,99$😝😝😝

@Skyblazer said:
    It was $30, with I think $80 or $100 in IAPs.

I'm not outraged, and I'm not too worried, but with each month that passes, I do become slightly more worried. I would at least like to know that bug fixes would be released if an iOS update changed/broke something relating to virtual MIDI. It has the best "piano roll" for CC automation.

So I do hope Matt is okay. It's an ambitious undertaking, but he did decide to create a tool that can become the foundation of a person's music creation workflow, so I hope he'll have the energy to rise to the challenge.

F**** you are right it was $30, I’m very sorry for my bad research πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ
    Can’t say anything about IAPβ€˜s, because I don’t need them😝😝😝

• edited September 2020

@espiegel123 said:

My main point is just that one should be cautious about knowing what makes business sense where iOS music app development is concerned.

The point is, if you do nothing publicly, for 12 months, then the perception - and we're talking about people not on this forum, who don't know him by first name terms - will wonder if the product they're considering buying is still supported. We're in pandemic, and global recession times, people need reassurance that a company is still active.

12 months is a long time in app development, particularly on a platform that regularly breaks functionality.

All it takes, as I mentioned previously, is a few social media posts or comments, maybe he could respond to some comments on his own forum, just to reassure everyone that everything is still ok and they can buy the app.

If I didn't own the app, and wasn't on this forum, I probably wouldn't know it existed. So as well as reassurance, a bit of promotion doesn't do any harm in generating new interest.

@espiegel123 said:

The economics are really crappy.

The economics are really crappy for most of us at the moment. But if you don't make the effort to promote your product, then you really can't complain when sales are low.

Making a thing is half the job. Supporting and promoting the thing you've made makes up the rest.

• @DarkAum said:

@ralis said:

It was released at $29.99 according to appsliced.co

• @MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

My main point is just that one should be cautious about knowing what makes business sense where iOS music app development is concerned.

The point is, if you do nothing publicly, for 12 months, then the perception - and we're talking about people not on this forum, who don't know him by first name terms - will wonder if the product they're considering buying is still supported. We're in pandemic, and global recession times, people need reassurance that a company is still active.

12 months is a long time in app development, particularly on a platform that regularly breaks functionality.

All it takes, as I mentioned previously, is a few social media posts or comments, maybe he could respond to some comments on his own forum, just to reassure everyone that everything is still ok and they can buy the app.

If I didn't own the app, and wasn't on this forum, I probably wouldn't know it existed. So as well as reassurance, a bit of promotion doesn't do any harm in generating new interest.

@espiegel123 said:

The economics are really crappy for most of us at the moment. But if you don't make the effort to promote your product, then you really can't complain when sales are low.

Making a thing is half the job. Supporting and promoting the thing you've made makes up the rest.

But the thing is you LITERALLY have no idea whether popping up would generate more revenue. It seems obvious that it would. But what seems obvious sometimes isn't the case. The difference can be more marginal than you think. He has lots of data about his sales that you and I don't have.

As for the importance of his popping up to people not on this forum generally spend less time tracking whether a developer is being active or not. The vast majority of purchasers just aren't that engaged. (Speaking as a forum music app developer.)

As I said, I personally wish that he'd periodically pop up. But I think the impact on his bottom-line is less than you would imagine.

• LOL is that the one I started ? Smdh

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    I look at this thread and the atom piano roll one and understand why most devs steer clear of the AB forums. As a dev, you have to have the patience of a saint. 🀣🀣🀣

• edited September 2020

@espiegel123 said:

It was released at $29.99 according to appsliced.co

Yeahh I did a bad research....I’ve wrote an apology two posts beforeπŸ™πŸ½β˜ΊοΈπŸ™πŸ½

• Isn't Drambo a one-man creation too? Just saying.........

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

But the thing is you LITERALLY have no idea whether popping up would generate more revenue. It seems obvious that it would. But what seems obvious sometimes isn't the case. The difference can be more marginal than you think. He has lots of data about his sales that you and I don't have.

As for the importance of his popping up to people not on this forum generally spend less time tracking whether a developer is being active or not. The vast majority of purchasers just aren't that engaged. (Speaking as a forum music app developer.)

As I said, I personally wish that he'd periodically pop up. But I think the impact on his bottom-line is less than you would imagine.

I give up, you’re obviously very entrenched in your view, and nothing from me, or my experience in working in this field is going to convince you otherwise, so I’ll gracefully bow out of this thread. In fact a forum break is probably in order.

• @Pierre118 said:
    Isn't Drambo a one-man creation too? Just saying.........

Most music app developers are one (sometimes two) person shops. The larger companies releasing apps (Steinberg, iK, Korg) are the outliers.

• Brambos , Beepstreet, 1 man bands, no tumbleweed

• @Pierre118 said:

The difference is Drambo is a full time effort. It was hoped that NS2 would be that too, but the need to make a living by other means got in the way.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Pierre118 said:

Most music app developers are one (sometimes two) person shops. The larger companies releasing apps (Steinberg, iK, Korg) are the outliers.

I know that, I wasn't saying or asking that.

Just saying that @giku_beepstreet communicates with his customers.

• @Pierre118 said:

And so are SunVox, Poison-202, GR-16 & Pure Acid, Bram's stuff, KQ series, Ice Gear stuff etc. etc.
    It doesn't matter how many one man bands there are out there, some will always defend their own favorites :)

Sure, the other 'one man shows' may not be as complex as NS2 but that's no real excuse for lacking communication.
    Honestly it would be enough with...

Hi! I'm doing fine no, need to worry I'm still alive...

Then again we're all different...
    ...what's enough for one may not be enough for the other and it is impossible to please everyone :D

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.