Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is NanoStudio 2 going to be updated ever again? Resolved.

Comments

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    I only see small devs doing these kinds of check-ins. Intua doesn't, steinberg generally doesn't, what desktop dev does this? This is an iOS thing.

Are you serious?

• edited September 2020

NS2 is like Brexit. It's almost like some kind of religion, whereby anyone who DARES criticise it in any way is pounced on and beated to a pulp until they bow down to the great God of Penniless Devs.

@Lil_Stu07 said:

TIt's been done time and time again. It's nothing groundbreaking or innovative. You can go to a multitude of sites and look up how to debug and fix any issues you may come across. I highly doubt you are inventing new features.

Aside from companies that write their own stores from scratch you mean, and add new bits of code and functionality that is then picked up by others.

And are you telling me the developer of NS invented the code used to build his app? Respect due, if that's the case.

• Dead ass. Steinberg is quiet until they are just about to release something. What dev posts every month on desktop what they are doing?

• edited September 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Right! There is software and other websites that you can use to create websites. No coding required lol.

You've just made yourself look very, very foolish.

Lol. How so? This is a fact. You can go and buy an e-commerce website right now. There are people that make a living buying domains and selling them.

So how do you know that's all I can do? Have you been in my room, you devil, looking over my shoulder for the last 25 years?

And by the way, as I keep mentioning but the NS2 worshippers keep deliberately ignoring, I'm not criticising the coding of the app, or even the lack of development.

Do keep up, there's a good chap.

• edited September 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Dead ass. Steinberg is quiet until they are just about to release something. What dev posts every month on desktop what they are doing?

Now, the same from NS2 dev

• @MonzoPro said:

Also HTML coding really isn't comparable to creating a DAW. The latter is one of the toughest programming problems there is. The former... isn't.

I presume you haven't coded an eCommerce store from scratch, designed to work and update in sync across 27 different countries servers, work effectively on every single sized device on the planet and have rock-solid security?

If you had, you'd know there's a bit more to it than 'HTML'.

I haven't done that particular thing, but I've worked on very complex high load applications with extremely demanding customers (investment banking). So yeah, kind of know what I'm talking about. Small websites for small clients are not trivial, but they're not terribly difficult. It's mostly taking other people's libraries and plugging them together. Most of the work is in the design/content side of things.

If you want a better comparison it would be something like videogames. Not writing videogames where you use something like Unity, but the hardcore end where you're trying to squeeze every ounce out of the hardware and writing your own custom game engine. Maybe Matt should write video games instead. Seems to be more money in it honestly.

• @MonzoPro said:
    NS2 is like Brexit. It's almost like some kind of religion, whereby anyone who DARES criticise it in any way is pounced on and beated to a pulp until they bow down to the great God of Penniless Devs.

@Lil_Stu07 said:

TIt's been done time and time again. It's nothing groundbreaking or innovative. You can go to a multitude of sites and look up how to debug and fix any issues you may come across. I highly doubt you are inventing new features.

Aside from companies that write their own stores from scratch you mean, and add new bits of code and functionality that is then picked up by others.

And are you telling me the developer of NS invented the code used to build his app? Respect due, if that's the case.

I'm saying, what examples do devs on ios have as models to create, update and innovate their code base? Especially when ios gets updated and changed every 2 months. Code bases break regularly. A new ios main build is released yearly which breaks code. This isn't the case for web development. There is a standard that stays consistent for what 5 years or so? Html 1-5 over how many years? How much of that code stayed the same and how much is still viable even in the new version? Hell Javascript, css, c(+)(+) are all still viable after how long? It's a different beast.

• @cian said:

Small websites for small clients are not trivial, but they're not terribly difficult.

How do you know my clients are small, and the websites I build 'not terribly difficult'? How many do you think I have to support? You don't know, do you.

• @OnfraySin said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Dead ass. Steinberg is quiet until they are just about to release something. What dev posts every month on desktop what they are doing?

Now, the same from NS2 dev

A team of people who work for the same company that created Cubase 10? Lol. That have a designated person to respond on forums? Where's the comparison.

• edited September 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    blah blah blah

I'll repeat this bit for you, since you keep missing it:

"And by the way, as I keep mentioning but the NS2 worshippers keep deliberately ignoring, I'm not criticising the coding of the app, or even the lack of development."

• @MonzoPro : you speculate a lot that I find the dev did thisor yhat that it would generate. Here is the thing : you and I know absolutely zero about how much revenue the things you think he should do will generate. HE DOES.

I can understand being disappointed and wanting the dev to finish implementing what he said he would. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the reason is "good business". You have no data to base that on.

From what I know of iOS app development economics , it quite possibly would be bad business (from a strictly economic sense) to do all the things you recommend : as they might generate less money than the expense (if you consider a developer's time as having value).

these apps generate far less revenue than most here realize.

I bet he is working on the app...and holding down a job to support himself and his family since music app development is not able to do that.

• @OnfraySin said:
    I love the fanboy defense.

An amazing and shameless show

I wouldn't really describe myself as a fanboy. I like Nanostudio, but I don't use it that much for the same reason other people don't. I honestly think he should communicate a little better.

I just don't think that people understand that IOS music apps are really a hobby for most of the developers. There are a few exceptions, but ever noticed how those either come from established companies (who already have the marketing sales infrastructure in place), or from developers who live in countries with a much lower cost of living (Brazil, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, etc).

Also, I see a lot of this kind of attitude in the opensource community, where people complain about software developed for free. IOS apps obviously aren't free, but they're mostly inexpensive and I'd be surprised if most of them broke even once you allowed for computer/software/device costs. Nobody who's coding IOS music apps is doing it for the money.

• edited September 2020

Intua is the best example how not to run business.
    I can't see how could Steinberg engage more with their customers, and I don't have any social media.
    You are writing this on the most relevant - iOS music - platform, both marketing and support wise.

Again, this is only relevant in the context of an app that didn't meet expectations, set by those devs.

• No fanboy here, but weren’t delays to be expected given the history of the app? Just getting the initial version to market took a long time. I don’t understand the outrage. Also given the history of the app, when the update comes it will probably be without any major bugs.

• I think it's important that if we all want to see iOS music scene improve and keep innovating to support and encourage the devs that make it happen. Alienate enough of them and this thing could go out the window. They could move their business to desktop and make 10-100x more money or the devs could just increase their prices to reflect desktop software to continue development.

• The same old faces moaning again. That app is worth way more than £30, as are all DAWs on iOS. We’ve been spoilt! Look at the work that goes into them. If people are going to moan about that, then developers won’t stay around.
    The fact that they have to put them on sale from time to time at ridiculous prices tells you all you need to know.
    As for communication, I can understand that people may get annoyed at not hearing anything. That is down to the Dev to handle and they all do it differently.

• @MonzoPro said:

@cian said:

Small websites for small clients are not trivial, but they're not terribly difficult.

How do you know my clients are small, and the websites I build 'not terribly difficult'? How many do you think I have to support? You don't know, do you.

Okay, what is the more complex website/app you've built? What is your skill set? What kind of load do your sites get? Do you need to deal with complex datamodels? What kind of transactional loads we talking about? Do you have to do a lot of performance testing? What kind of databases do you use on the backend? What backend technologies are you using?

You written any libraries of your own, or contributed to any frameworks?

• @ALB said:
    No fanboy here, but weren’t delays to be expected given the history of the app? Just getting the initial version to market took a long time. I don’t understand the outrage. Also given the history of the app, when the update comes it will probably be without any major bugs.

For better or for worse, Matt has always been quite careful not to overpromise with Nanostudio - at least after launch.

• @LeeB said:
    The same old faces moaning again. That app is worth way more than £30, as are all DAWs on iOS. We’ve been spoilt! Look at the work that goes into them. If people are going to moan about that, then developers won’t stay around.
    The fact that they have to put them on sale from time to time at ridiculous prices tells you all you need to know.
    As for communication, I can understand that people may get annoyed at not hearing anything. That is down to the Dev to handle and they all do it differently.

This!

• Now we're talking...
    🍿
    BM3 2.0

• -- opens thread

-- reads all the vitriol and entitlement

-- closes thread

👋

• Sadly all iOS DAWs are not what i would like to have as a DAW but from all these NS2 is still my favorite.
    I mean it lost the magic i felt when NS1 was new and i really miss a few things like audio tracks but so far it was worth the money.
    But still nothing could beat Logic in terms of content for money and i still hope it will happen one day on iOS and so i would not buy any iOS DAW at this point.
    I was a hardcore NanoStudio user but these days i need a bit "more". Its still the best and most fluid and i love the GUI and general feel of it. Also still great to use on an iPhone.
    But i also feel a bit that it will take years until it will be where i want it and in the meantime Logic really might be replace all iOS DAWs on iOS (for me at least).
    I don´t know.
    DAWs are in general a weak point on iOS and while they are cheap you have really much much stripped down versions missing often standard things i cannot live without.
    I would also prefer Obsidian as AUv3 synth.

• Nanostudio 2 was going to enable me to use ios exclusively. Then the whole audio thing didn't happen. Now I'm using Ableton and Reason on desktop and having a blast. iPad music making is now me using it like a synth or just using grooveboxes.

Am I disappointed? Nope. I feel there is more power and ease doing my music on desktop, at least for now.

If I were to return to ios exclusively, I would use Zenbeats and NS2. But, I got so excited initially about doing everything on the iPad and frankly it still feels a bit like the wild wild west - it's exciting but still doesn't feel totally practical.

• @richardyot said:
    -- opens thread

-- closes thread

👋

word

• @espiegel123 said:

From what I know of iOS app development economics , it quite possibly would be bad business (from a strictly economic sense) to do all the things you recommend : as they might generate less money than the expense (if you consider a developer's time as having value).

How long does it take to post something on a forum?

Not long. I just did it.

@cian said:

Okay, what is the more complex website/app you've built? What is your skill set? What kind of load do your sites get? Do you need to deal with complex datamodels? What kind of transactional loads we talking about? Do you have to do a lot of performance testing? What kind of databases do you use on the backend? What backend technologies are you using?

Are you interviewing me for a job, or deliberately missing the point of my comment concerning lack of visibility, and instead having a pissing contest over coding?

• edited September 2020

@LeeB said:
    The same old faces moaning again.

The same old faces churning out the 'we've been spoilt/apps are cheap' line, when most of us have spent thousands on our iOS music making hobby and supporting developers for years with our hard earned money, and encouraging others to do so.

If you don't have balance on a forum, and anyone daring to voice an opposing view is jumped on and insulted, then you don't have a forum that has value when it comes to making an app buying choice, as everyone will tell you it's just brilliant. Oh, and it's only the 'price of a cup of coffee'.

Aside from a few members on here, I wouldn't trust most of you to recommend what colour socks I should wear. 'WEAR ALL OF THEM MONZO - ALL THE COLOURS!!! SUPPORT THE SOCK MAKERS'

• I haven’t jumped on or insulted anybody, just pointed out that we are spoilt.
    We obviously value things differently, so I’ll leave you to it.

• @richardyot said:
    -- opens thread

Or making suggestions as to how developers might avoid people starting threads like this one.

• It's just an app, it's not worth arguing about...

• @richardyot said:
    It's just an app, it's not worth arguing about...

And bloody cheap for what it does

This discussion has been closed.