Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is NanoStudio 2 going to be updated ever again? Resolved.

Comments

• @rs2000 Drambo as a host would make NS2 and many other apps obsolete for me. Thats amazing news.

1. Buy an app for what it is today, not for what it might be.
    2. Always expect a sale to happen at some point in the future.

Right. There’s the two main iOS gripes dealt with...

• edited September 2020

@Bill_Brasky said:
    @rs2000 Drambo as a host would make NS2 and many other apps obsolete for me.

...until you find the next deal-breaker bug, quirk, workflow-killing workaround in Drambo that you didn’t anticipate - like just about every DAW app on ios. Nothing is ever perfect or complete compared to desktop apps. I’ve come to accept this.

Beepsteet might be active now, but what about when they wave the white-flag to their business model and slow down the updates? Then I’m sure the ‘vapourware’ and ‘lack of commitment’ bullshit will start all over for them too, I suspect.

Good luck in your quest, but it sounds pretty circular to me. I’ve been down that road.

• I don't get why adding audio tracks takes 2 years, particularly as NS2 already has the ability to record samples in the Obsidian instrument. But what do I know? (Only that Matt is his own worst enemy when it comes to communication...)

• (Only that Matt is his own worst enemy when it comes to communication...)

Not everyone is comfortable fielding all the bs that transpires on these forums. Perhaps not everyone is interested in maintaining what peeps expect with constant social media posts, constant communication, constant updates, etc - nor are they required to. Perhaps he just laughs and ignores the crap on these forums and happily works at his own pace, when he can, and at his own leisure, regardless of the expectations of others. Or worse, perhaps for him, with the unnecessary crap that gets fired at him, is a good reason for him to throw in the towel altogether, and he doesn’t give a toss what the disgruntled forum mouths think. Let’s hope he just scoffs at the whingers and soldiers on, regardless.

Gawd, and I’ve only barely joined the NS2 world. Barely used the app, so I’m no fanboi. These devs aren’t multinational juggernauts, they’re just peeps with an idea, and some chops to churn out a decent app. Peeps need to lighten the fuck up and take what the app offers at the time of purchase. I don’t think Matt ever offered a date for delivery on audio tracks.

• edited September 2020

@zah said:

@niktu said:

I think that’s why it’s one of the most stable apps on iOS.

...doesn’t crash, isn’t buggy

@niktu said:

Gawd, and I’ve only barely joined the NS2 world. Barely used the app

You come on a forum and claim something is stable, and then come out and say that you've barely used the app? How can anyone take you seriously? Seriously?

Barely used, compared to other apps. I completed a full arranged song on it and it was by far the easiest, smoothest, bug-free, and reliable experience compared to Cubasis, Zenbeats, GarageBand, Gadget and others. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

• @WillieNegus said:
    I feel for @Bill_Brasky whose OP was a simple and legitimate question.

All this other emo shit that transpired is just plain ol weird but I will admit, entertaining in the absence of new standup comedy options on Netflix.

That grown “adult” men have so much sensitivity and emotions on reserve to invest in such a written discussion about a cheap app at this point in 2020 is astonishing to me 😩😭😂🍿.

But hey, I’m sure there are good people on both sides.lmfao

+1

• @DMfan said:

@WillieNegus said:
    I feel for @Bill_Brasky whose OP was a simple and legitimate question.

All this other emo shit that transpired is just plain ol weird but I will admit, entertaining in the absence of new standup comedy options on Netflix.

That grown “adult” men have so much sensitivity and emotions on reserve to invest in such a written discussion about a cheap app at this point in 2020 is astonishing to me 😩😭😂🍿.

But hey, I’m sure there are good people on both sides.lmfao

+1

😂

• Agreed. Apologies. I’ve had a cup of tea.

• edited September 2020

my input, goes as follows 😎

if developers want to mingle in ios and create a product they can do it any way they want.
    however in order to really grow ios into a profitable platform, i believe making apps that could be profitable and give people a reason to look at ios as a legit desktop alternative are pretty important things right?!

how is that done?
    by creating apps that people want to use, that do the stuff that is needed. if it’s a daw, then make it so that it can actually function like a complete daw so people want to buy it and use it.
    We know it’s definitely possible to have a complete daw, because if you combine zenbeats with ns2 , you have a pretty serious daw that would attract people from desktop land, and meet the list of things that are considered daw essentials. The fact that each daw on ios has the things the other is missing shows it is capable to bring to ios, but we just can’t seem to get them all in one place for whatever reason i don’t know.

but as things stand now, ios isn’t going to be a super profitable platform because people don’t see a complete system or work environment.
    they see things that almost cover their needs but at a certain point fall short in some category.
    Thus making it a hassle to meet their needs.

secondly, advertising and marketing seem rely on word of mouth, or within small groups of people that are already using ios in hope to watch it become the platform of their dreams.
    i’ve only seem a couple emails or advertisement’s from any ios app outside of this forum or reddit. i’ve received e-mails / instagram adds only from imaginado , synthmaster and korg . i’ve never seen an advertisement in the wild for really any other app in this category. How are people going to come to it if they don’t know it’s out there?
    as much as people say they hate ads, they work and let us know our options.

i’m not a developer, i dont plan to ever develop so i wont be making the perfect daw. i’ll probably end up back on ableton and hardware within the next year or so using just the ios apps that i love in that eco system if a daw that can stability do all the things i want never comes into existence.
    i’m not mad about it per say but it is upsetting as i invested into ios buying a lot of apps that made promises they couldn’t keep and ended being a waste of money, i’m not saying ns2 here just in general about a lot of apps. I love ios music making, its a hobby, a hobby i spend a lot of time and money on, i want it to get bigger but honestly from the looks of it it will most likey stay a niche small environment for a lot more time

• edited September 2020

@WillieNegus said:

Hey Willie! Isn't it great that we have this wonderful open forum where people can exchange experiences, good and bad, about the apps they've bought? Where others can make suggestions based on a bit of personal and/or professional experience in other areas, such as promotion, and not have the time they've put into sharing simply dismissed or ridiculed? And where people like you can jump in and throw a few cheeky insults at those people, into a thread they otherwise are not involved in? :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

It's so great we have a wonderful, open forum where members are free to post their opinions without being chastised or silenced for having a different opinion to someone else!!!

Keep being astonished Willie! :D :D <3

• @niktu said:
    Agreed. Apologies. I’ve had a cup of tea.

As I sit here sipping my tea, I know exactly what you mean.

• edited September 2020

@MonzoPro said:
    >

Where others can make suggestions based on a bit of personal and/or professional experience in other areas, such as promotion, and not have the time they've put into sharing simply dismissed or ridiculed?

While I acknowledge that I overreacted in a way I'm not particularly proud, that's not what you did. Other people expressed their disappointment, you went a little further and brought in your own not very relevant business and development experience with which to criticize him for not running his business/development in the way that you thought he should. Should you able to do that? Sure I guess. Is it helpful or useful?

Some of the defenses of Nanostudio are because people like the app and don't like seeing something they like criticized. But some of it is because he gets criticized for promising stuff that he never actually promised. He was quite careful not to promise audio by a particular date (he said he hoped he would get it done by a particular point, but then he later changed his development plans to deliver other features people wanted). He's also always been clear that audio would be an add on and that you shouldn't buy it if you want audio in a DAW.

I agree that he should communicate a bit more (it's been radio silence on his forum for a while) and marketing is clearly not his strength. Nobody's perfect. Given that he's a seriously good developer (he is - if anyone thinks their JavaScript/HTML skills are comparable, sorry they're just not) and also a seriously good UX person (professional opinion here), two skills that you almost never see in a single person, probably not that surprising. Most developers aren't good at anything other than development. To expect developers to be good at coding, design, UX (three separate jobs), marketing (another separate profession) and project management (I think we all realize he sucks at this, right) seems a bit much.

The other thing, which I think gets missed a lot here, is that economics of music apps just doesn't add up. I've done the math. If you're a good developer/UX person living in the UK/US you will struggle to make much more than minimum wage. It's not a viable business, or a career - the market's just not there. The same is true on desktop (prices are higher, but the market is much smaller). In software terms the companies we consider giants are minnows compared to companies in almost any other field. Ableton vs Adobe - not even close.

It's so great we have a wonderful, open forum where members are free to post their opinions without being chastised or silenced for having a different opinion to someone else!!!

You have clearly been silenced as evidenced by your post here.

• edited September 2020

readed just first 2-3 and last 2-3 posts of this thread, but guys, you should definitely find some hobby to spend free time, this discussion is huge wasting of it.. life is too short :lol:

• TLDR :D

the race is on ... Will Modstep have audio tracks before NS2 ?

• edited September 2020

@bresk said:
    TLDR :D

Modstep is abandomware, isn't it ? :trollface:

• @dendy said:

@bresk said:

No it's just put aside as they work on touchable :trollface:

• @drez said:
    One thing I’ve noticed:

The people on this forum that complain the least about the shortcomings of iOS software absolutely put out the most and the best iOS music on this forum. Conversely, the people that complain about stuff perpetually put out the least amount of music on the forum.

Oh yeah? I submit that I both complain the least AND put out the least music on the forum! Take that!

(Just trying to keep that drama flowing...it's doing a fine job of keeping me off of Twitter! :lol: )

• @bresk said:

@dendy said:

@bresk said:

No it's just put aside as they work on touchable :trollface:

Oh interesting, Modstep dev is working on Touchable ? Very interesting how same developers are behind different projects (like NLog dev is behind Nave and Waldorf Quantum)

• edited September 2020

@cian said:

While I acknowledge that I overreacted in a way I'm not particularly proud, that's not what you did. Other people expressed their disappointment, you went a little further and brought in your own not very relevant business and development experience with which to criticize him for not running his business/development in the way that you thought he should. Should you able to do that? Sure I guess. Is it helpful or useful?

I was responding to this comment:

"Who are you to criticize the developer of Nanostudio 2?"

And suggested that a year of public silence was not good for a small business, as it attracts threads like this one. Was that helpful or useful? I can't say in this instance. Has it helped other companies in the past? Yes, of course.

@cian said:

he gets criticized for promising stuff that he never actually promised. He was quite careful not to promise audio by a particular date

This app was pretty much developed, tested, and promoted on this forum.

It was mentioned by several beta testers that audio would arrive by Summer 2019, that it was high priority, and that coding was already in place. If that information was incorrect, and misled some to think it was going to happen, then maybe he should have corrected this in the thread, and kept tabs on what the people working on and promoting his product were telling the rest of the world.

@cian said:

I agree that he should communicate a bit more (it's been radio silence on his forum for a while) and marketing is clearly not his strength. Nobody's perfect.

Nobody said they were. It was a simple suggestion which has been blown out of all proportion by posters such as yourself.

@cian said:

Given that he's a seriously good developer (he is - if anyone thinks their JavaScript/HTML skills are comparable, sorry they're just not) and also a seriously good UX person (professional opinion here), two skills that you almost never see in a single person, probably not that surprising.

No-one has said 'JavaScript/HTML skills are comparable', and as I've stated many, many times now - I was not the one who brought up coding. I'm surprised you're still gaslighting it.

@cian said:

In software terms the companies we consider giants are minnows compared to companies in almost any other field. Ableton vs Adobe - not even close.

Which is why communication, and promotion, is essential for small businesses.

@cian said:

You have clearly been silenced as evidenced by your post here.

?

• @dendy said:
    readed just first 2-3 and last 2-3 posts of this thread, but guys, you should definitely find some hobby to spend free time, this discussion is huge wasting of it.. life is too short :lol:

Not really. Some things are important and need to be said - being able to voice a different opinion for example.

• @drez said:

The people on this forum that complain the least about the shortcomings of iOS software absolutely put out the most and the best iOS music on this forum. Conversely, the people that complain about stuff perpetually put out the least amount of music on the forum.

You got facts to back that statement up Drez?

• Still baffled by people who think that beta testers are official spokesmen for a developer but whatever I guess.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @DarkAum said:

@espiegel123 said:

It was and it is 19,99$😝😝😝...cubasis & auria pro 49,99$

It was released at $29.99 according to appsliced.co

Yeahh I did a bad research....I’ve wrote an apology two posts before🙏🏽☺️🙏🏽

All good and I forgot to mention I have all the IAPs too but I do truly love Obsidian!!!!!!!!! So all in all I think it is worth it just for the sequencer and sounds. It is so good that if it had Audio recording it would be perfect for me. I would buy it again as NS3 at full price without hesitation.

• @MonzoPro said:

@drez said:

You got facts to back that statement up Drez?

I would say that as an opinion (because I noticed it) it comes from simply reading the posts by the people that put out (to me) the best and most creative music here. I don’t want to at anybody to drag them into this, but I think if anyone just looks at the posts of the truly talented and iOS platform embracers on the forum that actually share music here, they happened to also be very positive and complimentary folk. They tend to just grab software and use it in whatever state it’s in and crank out wonderful music and are thankful for what they get to use to make music.

BUT, because it’s something I personally noticed, doesn’t make it the truth, it’s an observation. And I might (probably) like different music than others so there’s that, but personally I really can’t think of anybody on here cranking out tunes they share that are kind of “constantly unsatisfied” with whatever they are using to make music. And if they are, then I haven’t found the music memorable for me. Possibly because they are holding back the passion that is being marginalized by what isn’t there? Just a theory.

Again, it’s my opinion. Facts about quality of music are strictly up to the individual. And I happened to be one :lol:

• edited September 2020

(Duplicate)

• @drez said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I’d love to have more insight into how iOS developers develop their apps.

I work in the software development industry and we use continuous integration techniques (pipelining) to keep building and testing until we’re ready to export our builds more widely for further testing then release.

Now its seems to me iOS development is completely Mac-centric meaning you can’t go spawning up build servers and do a lot of automated testing. For complex apps like NS2 this must be a massive drag. I’m not surprised things take time.

I’m in the same space professionally right now and I just think it’s a different sort of development methodology than commercial software. There’s no compliance rules, multiple teams to think of development “rules” for the organization, stake holders, etc.

My guess there are no Jenkins pipelines building on every commit running 90% code coverage tests on Selenium :lol:

• edited September 2020

I’ve always wondered what all the hype for NS2 was about. Strangely, after reading this thread I bought it.

It’s a lovely tool. I grokked the basics of sequencing in less than an hour, including the unique way of drawing velocities. I can’t really place myself in this debate because I’ll probably never try to finish an entire tune on an iOS device. So I don’t need a full fledged iOS daw. NS2 seems to be a great sketch tool for getting things started though.

Now I see why folks love the workflow. Intuitive, well designed GUI. So far, AUV3 implementation feels solid.

• @ecamburn I fully agree. For me it's also the best MIDI editor on iOS, I had to find it out the hard way when fine-editing and cutting/pasting large MIDI files, the piano roll is just great.
    I can record audio samples inside the app, it has a fantastic synth for sound design and the arrangement page is as easy & fast to use as it could get.
    Recording, looping, editing and mapping samples to create new instruments just works, something that Steinberg have never managed to do properly in Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3.
    And it has Ableton Link.
    And it has a WebDAV file server that I can just mount as a folder on my desktop or on another iDevice.

This discussion has been closed.