Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioShare beta testers wanted

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

This is actually a very valid downside to AudioShare. I'm guessing it's too late to alter that now though. The trade off to me is worth it, so AudioShare will remain my main Audio organizing app, but I agree the duplication is unfortunate when practically the only thing good about iOS file management is the non-duplication of storage for that haven't been modified from the original.

• @Turntablist said:
    Desktop OSs let you move files between different drives without copying, Audioshare needs to be redesigned and use 'on my ipad' it has zero advantages being in locations instead of 'on my ipad' but a huge disadvantage of always making duplicates and not being able to just move files.
    As you say I was mistaken, Dropbox is in locations and copies, but that makes sense as it is cloud based, AS is not cloud based.

When I implemented the "AudioShare Files" location (File Provider) it was the only way to make AudioShare's files available in "document pickers" from within other apps. A lot has changed since then (iOS 10) and for a future rewrite of AudioShare it would make sense to instead use the "on my iPad" location, now that any app can access files from any other app without copying them.

• edited March 2020

@tja said:
    I installed the beta on the latest IPadOS and tried to share MIDI, MP3 and WAV files to AudioShare, but it is not listed in the possible target, @j_liljedahl

Same still here. Sharing to AudioShare not possible. No ‚open in‘ AudioShare 😢😢😢
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1
    AudioShare 2.7.9 (135)

• Would it be possible to enable AUv3 effects for Audioshare? Most of the effects that seem to work are IAA.

(That aside, the app is awesome and the changes you're testing will just cement it as the best audio manager app)

• @Iskander said:
    @tja said:
    I installed the beta on the latest IPadOS and tried to share MIDI, MP3 and WAV files to AudioShare, but it is not listed in the possible target, @j_liljedahl

Same still here. Sharing to AudioShare not possible. No ‚open in‘ AudioShare 😢😢😢
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1
    AudioShare 2.7.9 (135)

Can you give a step by step instruction of how to reproduce this? As far as I can see it works fine now. Have you enabled AudioShare in the open in list? (Tap some dots or "edit" or whatever it says, and toggle AudioShare on there)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Iskander said:
    @tja said:

iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1
    AudioShare 2.7.9 (135)

Can you give a step by step instruction of how to reproduce this? As far as I can see it works fine now. Have you enabled AudioShare in the open in list? (Tap some dots or "edit" or whatever it says, and toggle AudioShare on there)

Sorry, I‘ve tried exactly this multiple times with the filetypes MP3 and WAV.
    After tapping „edit“, AudioShare is NOT in my open in list.

• @Iskander said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Iskander said:
    @tja said:

iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1
    AudioShare 2.7.9 (135)

Yes, like with me.
    I really tried everything I could imagine to fix this - beside a new installation of the iPad, which I will not do.
    I planned to contact Apple, but did not yet do this.

• @j_liljedahl : any chance the share sheet or a menu command could be added when a folder is selected so that one could airdrop a folder from AudioShare to another device? It would make it much more convenient for moving things to desktop for long term archiving or storage.

• Any chance of making the “sort by” setting stick? If I choose to sort by date, it would be nice if it stayed that way. Currently it reverts to sorting by name.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @j_liljedahl : any chance the share sheet or a menu command could be added when a folder is selected so that one could airdrop a folder from AudioShare to another device? It would make it much more convenient for moving things to desktop for long term archiving or storage.

I will look into if this is possible.

• edited March 2020

@Iskander said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Iskander said:
    @tja said:

iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1
    AudioShare 2.7.9 (135)

Are you 100% sure you're running the AudioShare beta? Tapping the (i) button in AudioShare should show version "2.7.9 (134)".

Can you give me step by step instructions, including screenshots? Which app are you sharing from?

Here's how it looks for me, step by step, when sharing a file from Dropbox app to AudioShare:

1:

2:

3:

4:

• @j_liljedahl
    I wish the audioshare folder could be mounted as a writable smb/afp network share.

Then you could easily create a bi-directional sync to any folder ( including cloud services ) on the desktop OS using a sync tool like chronosync.

Also it would be relatively easy to sync two audioshare folders on different ios devices using a desktop os as intermediate.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @j_liljedahl : any chance the share sheet or a menu command could be added when a folder is selected so that one could airdrop a folder from AudioShare to another device? It would make it much more convenient for moving things to desktop for long term archiving or storage.

That would be fantastic!

The ability to download folders from the WiFi drive would also be great. Zipping the contents of folders first to avoid dealing with individual files is time and space consuming!

That said, the idea of a mountable sharepoint would be even better!

@tpj said:
    @j_liljedahl
    I wish the audioshare folder could be mounted as a writable smb/afp network share.

Then you could easily create a bi-directional sync to any folder ( including cloud services ) on the desktop OS using a sync tool like chronosync.

Also it would be relatively easy to sync two audioshare folders on different ios devices using a desktop os as intermediate.

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

@j_liljedahl You seem to have problems believing that those problems exist, even as i already send you lots of screenshots.

;)

AudioShare does not appear on two of my iPads, both with the latest iPadOS and latest AudioShare beta.
    With and without reboots, hard reboots, total re-installations of AUM, AudioShare, ZenBeats and the former version of ZenBeats.

One iPads was installed from a backup of an older iPad, the other iPad was a fresh install with initial App installation (when Air 3 came out).

• Hi Jonatan,

I did the following step by step. My source was ‚Documents’. I want to transfer a MP3 file to AudioShare.
    After pressing „...“ in the sharingmenu AudioShare IS NOT selectable, in contrast to many other apps like Cubasis.

I‘ve used:
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1
    AudioShare Beta 2.7.9 (135)

• @aplourde said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@espiegel123 said:

That would be fantastic!

This is now done and will come in the next beta! You can now long-press a folder and airdrop it, email, or save it to iOS Files, etc. (iOS automagically makes a ZIP of it if you email it, it seems!)

The ability to download folders from the WiFi drive would also be great. Zipping the contents of folders first to avoid dealing with individual files is time and space consuming!

I agree. I'm using a pre-rolled HTTP server, and I don't think this functionality is there so I'd need to add it myself.

Another alternative is to make your desktop available as a file server, and connect to it in the Files app. You could then export folders from AudioShare to it. (I haven't tried this yet)

That said, the idea of a mountable sharepoint would be even better!

Great idea, but not something I'm planning to investigate in the near future.

• @tja said:
    @j_liljedahl You seem to have problems believing that those problems exist, even as i already send you lots of screenshots.

;)

I do believe there is a problem :) I just try to find exactly where it is.

• @Iskander said:
    Hi Jonatan,

I did the following step by step. My source was ‚Documents’. I want to transfer a MP3 file to AudioShare.
    After pressing „...“ in the sharingmenu AudioShare IS NOT selectable, in contrast to many other apps like Cubasis.

I‘ve used:
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1

The only thing I can think of is that some other app is interfering, perhaps by exporting a "public.audio" UTI which overwrites the system type, or something like that. I'll see if I can make some code that digs up info about this for debugging purposes, which I can add to AudioShare beta.

• @j_liljedahl : Awesome! A great app getting even better.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@aplourde said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@espiegel123 said:

That would be fantastic!

This is now done and will come in the next beta! You can now long-press a folder and airdrop it, email, or save it to iOS Files, etc. (iOS automagically makes a ZIP of it if you email it, it seems!)

Excellent, thank you!

I agree. I'm using a pre-rolled HTTP server, and I don't think this functionality is there so I'd need to add it myself.

Another alternative is to make your desktop available as a file server, and connect to it in the Files app. You could then export folders from AudioShare to it. (I haven't tried this yet)

You know I never thought about connecting that way! Just tried and it works!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Iskander said:
    Hi Jonatan,

I‘ve used:
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1

The only thing I can think of is that some other app is interfering, perhaps by exporting a "public.audio" UTI which overwrites the system type, or something like that. I'll see if I can make some code that digs up info about this for debugging purposes, which I can add to AudioShare beta.

Ok, in the next AudioShare beta (2.7.9-136), please try this: tap the (i) button to show the Info screen, then tap the title/version label and let me know the text that shows up.

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

Eagerly waiting, @j_liljedahl :)

EDIT: It dropped already

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

First iPad:

file:///System/Library/CoreServices/MobileCoreTypes.bundle/ {
    UTTypeConformsTo = (
    "public.audiovisual-content"
    );
    UTTypeIconFiles = (
    "audio_20x20.png",
    "[email protected]",
    "audio_145x145.png",
    "[email protected]"
    );
    UTTypeIdentifier = "public.audio";
    }
    UTTypeConformsTo = (
    "public.audio"
    );
    UTTypeIdentifier = "com.microsoft.waveform-audio";
    UTTypeTagSpecification = {
    "public.filename-extension" = (
    wav,
    wave,
    bwf
    );
    "public.mime-type" = (
    "audio/vnd.wave",
    "audio/wav",
    "audio/wave",
    "audio/x-wav"
    );
    };
    }
    UTTypeConformsTo = (
    "public.audio"
    );
    UTTypeIdentifier = "public.mp3";
    mp3,
    mpga
    );
    "public.mime-type" = (
    "audio/mpeg",
    "audio/mpeg3",
    "audio/mpg",
    "audio/mp3",
    "audio/x-mpeg",
    "audio/x-mpeg3",
    "audio/x-mpg",
    "audio/x-mp3"
    );
    };
    }

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

A bit difficult to post that here.
    As Feedback in Testflight?

• The other iPad:

UTTypeConformsTo = (
    );
    UTTypeIconFiles = (
    "audio_20x20.png",
    "[email protected]",
    "audio_145x145.png",
    "[email protected]"
    );
    }
    UTTypeConformsTo = (
    "public.audio"
    );
    wav,
    wave,
    bwf
    );
    "public.mime-type" = (
    "audio/vnd.wave",
    "audio/wav",
    "audio/wave",
    "audio/x-wav"
    );
    };
    }
    UTTypeConformsTo = (
    "public.audio"
    );
    mp3,
    mpga
    );
    "public.mime-type" = (
    "audio/mpeg",
    "audio/mpeg3",
    "audio/mpg",
    "audio/mp3",
    "audio/x-mpeg",
    "audio/x-mpeg3",
    "audio/x-mpg",
    "audio/x-mp3"
    );
    };
    }

• From the iPhone, where it works:

UTTypeConformsTo = (
    );
    UTTypeIconFiles = (
    "audio_20x20.png",
    "[email protected]",
    "audio_145x145.png",
    "[email protected]"
    );
    }
    UTTypeConformsTo = (
    "public.audio"
    );
    wav,
    wave,
    bwf
    );
    "public.mime-type" = (
    "audio/vnd.wave",
    "audio/wav",
    "audio/wave",
    "audio/x-wav"
    );
    };
    }
    UTTypeConformsTo = (
    "public.audio"
    );
    mp3,
    mpga
    );
    "public.mime-type" = (
    "audio/mpeg",
    "audio/mpeg3",
    "audio/mpg",
    "audio/mp3",
    "audio/x-mpeg",
    "audio/x-mpeg3",
    "audio/x-mpg",
    "audio/x-mp3"
    );
    };
    }

• @tja ok, it looks correct. Will need to keep investigating...

• Updated the Air 3 to iOS 13.4, but sadly no change...

• edited March 2020

@tja said:
    Updated the Air 3 to iOS 13.4, but sadly no change...

In next beta (coming soon) I'll add another tweak that might work: explicitly registering for WAV and MP3 files and not only "any audiofile". Let me know how it goes.

BTW, even if AudioShare missing from "open in" is unconvenient, you can still just tap "Save to Files" and save it to the "AudioShare Files" location, right?

• I don't remember the last time when I actually used the 'Copy to Audioshare' as I most of the time just select the Audioshare location using the Files.app interface and drop the files that way...