Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioShare beta testers wanted

Comments

• @j_liljedahl : if there were a way to implement drag/drop , so that when AS is in slide over mode that one could drag from AS to an app that accepts files that would be awesome.

• @j_liljedahl my files all seem pretty good after updating to the beta...

• @espiegel123 said:
    @j_liljedahl : if there were a way to implement drag/drop , so that when AS is in slide over mode that one could drag from AS to an app that accepts files that would be awesome.

Id also love to see this.ive told him about it, lets hope he can figure it out and make it happen.thats would be a killer.no need to use Files App, since its very unreliable sometimes

• @j_liljedahl would you be able to add unzipping rar files?

• @tja said:
    @shiro Yes, sorry - I overread this, as I never used 32 bit float...

Not only that, actually a standard 16 or 24 bit integer file format can also go above 0dB, indirectly:

Read up on "true peak" if you want to learn more :)

PS. The normalizer in AudioShare is a simple standard peak normalizer, which in theory could produce samples above 0dB after DAC. Adding a setting for the target max level would allow one to use some safety margin, like -1 dB or so.

• Thanks for clarification, @j_liljedahl

BTW, before installing the beta, I wanted to create a backup zip file in the Files App.

And of course, that was not possible at all:

This operating system simply does not work.
    And instead of fixing things, Apple prefers to create new Emojis.

Simply speechless.

I will try my trusty zip Apps instead....

• @tja said:
    Thanks for clarification, @j_liljedahl

BTW, before installing the beta, I wanted to create a backup zip file in the Files App.

Simply speechless.

Why not just zip right in AudioShare?

• @espiegel123 said:

My existing files were unaffected

Good to hear, cheers! :)

• I don’t get the ‘open in AudioShare’ option when Airdropping an audio file to an iOS13 device. Also, selecting ‘Files’ as the destination doesn’t do anything but that’s an iOS bug not AudioShare. Anyway, ‘open in AudioShare’ would be a workaround seeing as that’s where I want my audio to live anyway.

• @anickt said:

@tja said:

Simply speechless.

Cannot see a way to do this...

This option is only available, when long pressing a single item...
    After a "Select All", there is no option to zip the selection.

Am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, I did not try this initially, as that AudioShare zip file would then be moved out of AudioShare anyway, so it seemed more simple to use the Files App (what a funny idea)

• I installed the beta on the latest IPadOS and tried to share MIDI, MP3 and WAV files to AudioShare, but it is not listed in the possible target, @j_liljedahl

Didn't you say that this may be fixed?

At an earlier time, i could share lots of file types to AudioShare, but that does not seem to work anymore.

Am i doing something wrong?

• @tja said:

@anickt said:

@tja said:

Simply speechless.

Cannot see a way to do this...

This option is only available, when long pressing a single item...
    After a "Select All", there is no option to zip the selection.

Am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, I did not try this initially, as that AudioShare zip file would then be moved out of AudioShare anyway, so it seemed more simple to use the Files App (what a funny idea)

Just put the files into a folder and zip that. It's the better option anyway, no one wants unsorted files in the root folder (which may happen accidentally).

• @Shiro said:
    @j_liljedahl would you be able to add unzipping rar files?

Funny, I recently wondered the same because rar is much better than zip for audio compression (almost as good as FLAC) and un-raring doesn't involve license costs.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I don’t get the ‘open in AudioShare’ option when Airdropping an audio file to an iOS13 device. Also, selecting ‘Files’ as the destination doesn’t do anything but that’s an iOS bug not AudioShare. Anyway, ‘open in AudioShare’ would be a workaround seeing as that’s where I want my audio to live anyway.

Is this with the beta version or the current app store version? Fixing filesystem related issues on iOS 13 was one of the main things I worked on in the new beta.

• @tja said:
    I installed the beta on the latest IPadOS and tried to share MIDI, MP3 and WAV files to AudioShare, but it is not listed in the possible target, @j_liljedahl

At an earlier time, i could share lots of file types to AudioShare, but that does not seem to work anymore.

Are you tapping "edit" and enabling it as a target in the list?

• Yes, @j_liljedahl

Proving this is a bit difficult, as it would require a whole series of screenshots, but i double-checked it.

I tried JPG and WAV files from both OneDrive and Dropbox (called "export" here) and searched the second line, the one containing Apps, below the totally useless line of contacts, searched to the right (scrolling left) until the "More..." button and also searched this whole list completely.

Then i pressed "Edit" and repeated the search - i made screenshots, if you want to see yourself.

• edited March 2020

@j_liljedahl said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    I don’t get the ‘open in AudioShare’ option when Airdropping an audio file to an iOS13 device. Also, selecting ‘Files’ as the destination doesn’t do anything but that’s an iOS bug not AudioShare. Anyway, ‘open in AudioShare’ would be a workaround seeing as that’s where I want my audio to live anyway.

Is this with the beta version or the current app store version? Fixing filesystem related issues on iOS 13 was one of the main things I worked on in the new beta.

Current App Store version, on iOS 13.3.1.

• I’m not sure what I’m supposed to see but here are my observations while beta testing the new version. There is an Audioshare folder on the Location sidebar in the Files app but there is no AS folder in iCloud Drive. When I click on a music file (mp3) in the files app I don’t see a way to send it directly to AS. From inside AS I can see and access USB drives when using the Document picker. If this the way it’s supposed to work then all is good. I’ll keep playing around with it but if there’s anything specific I should check please let me know.

• @yowza said:
    I’m not sure what I’m supposed to see but here are my observations while beta testing the new version. There is an Audioshare folder on the Location sidebar in the Files app but there is no AS folder in iCloud Drive. When I click on a music file (mp3) in the files app I don’t see a way to send it directly to AS. From inside AS I can see and access USB drives when using the Document picker. If this the way it’s supposed to work then all is good. I’ll keep playing around with it but if there’s anything specific I should check please let me know.

This is all well. You can drag and drop a file inside the Files app into the AudioShare location in the sidebar.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Current App Store version, on iOS 13.3.1.

Right. So this is fixed in the current beta version.

• @tja said:
    Yes, @j_liljedahl

Proving this is a bit difficult, as it would require a whole series of screenshots, but i double-checked it.

I tried JPG and WAV files from both OneDrive and Dropbox (called "export" here) and searched the second line, the one containing Apps, below the totally useless line of contacts, searched to the right (scrolling left) until the "More..." button and also searched this whole list completely.

Then i pressed "Edit" and repeated the search - i made screenshots, if you want to see yourself.

I tried the same here now on my iPhone running iOS 13. Dropbox, tap the three dots next to a WAV file, Export, "Open in", and there's AudioShare among the options as expected.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@tja said:
    Yes, @j_liljedahl

I tried the same here now on my iPhone running iOS 13. Dropbox, tap the three dots next to a WAV file, Export, "Open in", and there's AudioShare among the options as expected.

Installed the beta on my iPhone 8 running iOS 13.3.1 and yes, there is "Copy to AudioShare".
    Tried the same on my iPad Pro 9.7 running iOS 12.4, and it is there (along with all the other Apps).

Going back to my iPad Air 3 running iPadOS latest, nope.... it's not there.
    I then uninstalled the App and reinstalled the Beta:

My content was STILL there!
    This is... unexpected.
    And it has some implications I will write later about.

But no, it is still not listed in the share sheet!
    I check if I can send you screenshots... either as PM here or as mail.

• @tja said:

>

Going back to my iPad Air 3 running iPadOS latest, nope.... it's not there.
    I then uninstalled the App and reinstalled the Beta:

My content was STILL there!
    This is... unexpected.
    And it has some implications I will write later about.

As long as you have AUM installed as well, that's expected, since AUM and AudioShare shares the same storage space for audio files.

• Ah, OK.
    Thanks - was irritated :)

Maybe i should reinstall both?!?

• @tja said:
    I installed the beta on the latest IPadOS and tried to share MIDI, MP3 and WAV files to AudioShare, but it is not listed in the possible target, @j_liljedahl

Same here. Sharing to AudioShare not possible.
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOS 13.3.1
    AudioShare 2.7.9 (134)

• @espiegel123 said:

@Turntablist said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Paa89 said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    I have a bugfix update of AudioShare in the pipeline, and would appreciate some testing for a week or so before release! Send me an email or PM if you want to join. Changelog below:

• Fix file problems on iOS 13
    • Allow access to USB drives on iOS 13
    • Fix layout issues on iPhone X
    • Allow exporting multiple selected files to Document Picker
    • Updated AB SDK
    • Fixes for sample rate changes
    • Fix stopped audio engine after coming back to app
    • Minor tweaks

Hi there, please consider adding drag and drop, that would be very useful

Drag and drop between AudioShare location and other locations inside Files app is working in the current beta, but maybe you mean something else?

Moving or copying, previous version always copied (Duplicates)

That's what the OS (Files app) does for "moves" between file providers. I don't believe a file provider can alter that.

Dropbox does ?

• @Turntablist said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Turntablist said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Paa89 said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    I have a bugfix update of AudioShare in the pipeline, and would appreciate some testing for a week or so before release! Send me an email or PM if you want to join. Changelog below:

• Fix file problems on iOS 13
    • Allow access to USB drives on iOS 13
    • Fix layout issues on iPhone X
    • Allow exporting multiple selected files to Document Picker
    • Updated AB SDK
    • Fixes for sample rate changes
    • Fix stopped audio engine after coming back to app
    • Minor tweaks

Hi there, please consider adding drag and drop, that would be very useful

Drag and drop between AudioShare location and other locations inside Files app is working in the current beta, but maybe you mean something else?

Moving or copying, previous version always copied (Duplicates)

That's what the OS (Files app) does for "moves" between file providers. I don't believe a file provider can alter that.

Dropbox does ?

Not for me. If you are in Files and long tap a file in a non-dropbox directory and choose Move from the action popup, you will see that it copies the file. Do you see different behavior?

I am on iOS 12.3.1, but I have been given the impression that the OS treats different file providers just like desktop OSs treat different drives.

• Desktop OSs let you move files between different drives without copying, Audioshare needs to be redesigned and use 'on my ipad' it has zero advantages being in locations instead of 'on my ipad' but a huge disadvantage of always making duplicates and not being able to just move files.
    As you say I was mistaken, Dropbox is in locations and copies, but that makes sense as it is cloud based, AS is not cloud based.

• @Turntablist said:
    Desktop OSs let you move files between different drives without copying, Audioshare needs to be redesigned and use 'on my ipad' it has zero advantages being in locations instead of 'on my ipad' but a huge disadvantage of always making duplicates and not being able to just move files.
    As you say I was mistaken, Dropbox is in locations and copies, but that makes sense as it is cloud based, AS is not cloud based.

It has nothing to do with cloud-based or not.

On MacOS, if you drag from one disk to another it copies the file. You have to hold down a modifier key to move and not copy. Maybe Windows is different. I haven't used it in ages.

• On any desktop OS you can just use cut and paste, I think (MBP died last week) MacOS has a move command, and if Windows doesn't, you can certainly add one, i have one on my Windows machines.
    I never said it has anything to do with cloud based, I said that duplication makes more sense with cloud based, which it does, duplication makes zero sense with local files on a single drive, as in exactly how everything works that is 'on my iPad'