Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioShare beta testers wanted

Comments

• edited March 2020

@rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:
    @tja I also find this weird to reduce bit resolution, why would you want to degrade the quality of your audio.

Dithering/noise shaping as well as upsampling to higher bit resolutions can help and sometimes you don't have the choice.

Why would you use other technics to compensate for an audio quality loss you yourself committed? Surely just don’t reduce bit resolution in the first place?

• @Shiro said:

@rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:
    @tja I also find this weird to reduce bit resolution, why would you want to degrade the quality of your audio.

Dithering/noise shaping as well as upsampling to higher bit resolutions can help and sometimes you don't have the choice.

Why would you use other technics to compensate for an audio quality loss you yourself committed? Surely just don’t reduce bit resolution in the first place?

Because the the original audio might be a 16bit file.

• @rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:

@rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:

Are we discussing the same thing here? The discussion is about using normalization.

• @Shiro said:

@rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:

@rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:

Are we discussing the same thing here? The discussion is about using normalization.

Well, is it forbidden to combine higher bit depth with normalization?

• @rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:

@rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:

@rs2000 said:

@Shiro said:

Well, is it forbidden to combine higher bit depth with normalization?

Uh? The point is why reduce bit resolution when at the normalization stage? My point is why would you do that? Please if you have a good reason let me know?

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

This may not be the right thread to discuss this, or?

(Peak-)Normalization is simply making things as loud as possible, up to the given maximum (often 0, -0.1 or -0.2 dB).

This is the same as using your track volume slider.

My usecase was simply comparing different audio files (normalized, limited, mastered to a certain LUFS,...) on this page, where you can see what the streaming services would do with this audio.

And for that comparison, I wanted to check a file that is normalized to -2dB, which is what would Spotify do anyway. TwistedWave offers this option, but I like to stay within AudioShare :)

P.S. And Reverse Audio would be a nice Tool, yes :)
    As Phase Reversion too

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Paa89 said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    I have a bugfix update of AudioShare in the pipeline, and would appreciate some testing for a week or so before release! Send me an email or PM if you want to join. Changelog below:

• Fix file problems on iOS 13
    • Allow access to USB drives on iOS 13
    • Fix layout issues on iPhone X
    • Allow exporting multiple selected files to Document Picker
    • Updated AB SDK
    • Fixes for sample rate changes
    • Fix stopped audio engine after coming back to app
    • Minor tweaks

Hi there, please consider adding drag and drop, that would be very useful

Drag and drop between AudioShare location and other locations inside Files app is working in the current beta, but maybe you mean something else?

Moving or copying, previous version always copied (Duplicates)

• @Turntablist said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Paa89 said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    I have a bugfix update of AudioShare in the pipeline, and would appreciate some testing for a week or so before release! Send me an email or PM if you want to join. Changelog below:

• Fix file problems on iOS 13
    • Allow access to USB drives on iOS 13
    • Fix layout issues on iPhone X
    • Allow exporting multiple selected files to Document Picker
    • Updated AB SDK
    • Fixes for sample rate changes
    • Fix stopped audio engine after coming back to app
    • Minor tweaks

Hi there, please consider adding drag and drop, that would be very useful

Drag and drop between AudioShare location and other locations inside Files app is working in the current beta, but maybe you mean something else?

Moving or copying, previous version always copied (Duplicates)

That's what the OS (Files app) does for "moves" between file providers. I don't believe a file provider can alter that.

• edited March 2020

@j_liljedahl iPhone landscape view FTW!

• @j_liljedahl The normalize feature should also include tPD (True Peak Detection) to avoid 'real' clipping when normalizing.

While I do like AudioShare I've more and more started to do most of the stuff with Auditor since it doesn't really care where the source files are when they need editing but It's not without it quirks (still prefer the 'fluidity' of TwistedWave).

• I love audioshare, the only thing I would like is a forward button to be added under the waveform view so that I don't have to go back to the browser page to forward to another audiophile when I'm moving fast and just want to move to the next file but stay in edit mode. I guess a back button would be good too.

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

@Samu said:
    @j_liljedahl The normalize feature should also include tPD (True Peak Detection) to avoid 'real' clipping when normalizing.

While I do like AudioShare I've more and more started to do most of the stuff with Auditor since it doesn't really care where the source files are when they need editing but It's not without it quirks (still prefer the 'fluidity' of TwistedWave).

As far as I understood the difference between Limiting and Normalization, you don't need tPD for Normalization, as this is not a dynamic process but just adding gain to reach 0 dB (or some other level).

The tPD is required for Limiting, where you also benefit from oversampling as you modify the signal "live" to get it below a certain value.

No?

• edited March 2020

@tja said:

The tPD is required for Limiting, where you also benefit from oversampling as you modify the signal "live" to get it below a certain value.

No?

Not really, consider that you have high frequency content where a few samples are already at 0db, the one in the middle will go above 0db when played back or simply clipped if the samples on either side of the sample in the file are already maxed...

Here's a snap from twisted wave (Mac version).

Without tPD the high frequency sine-waves will get 'clipped'.

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

Very strange for me, @Samu
    But I think this is just a regular Normalization then.
    What other options exist in this menu?

The iOS version of TwistedWave has a regular Normalization and also a Peak Limiter, which is a different thing (with attack, decay and pre-gain).
    This may be, what we see here.

Also, as you wrote, if you have audio that already has some parts at 0 dB, a regular Normalization would not change the audio at all - it is already normalized.

• @tja said:
    Very strange for me, @Samu
    But I think this is just a regular Normalization then.
    What other options exist in this menu?

The iOS version of TwistedWave has a regular Normalization and also a Peak Limiter, which is a different thing (with attack, decay and pre-gain).
    This may be, what we see here.

Also, as you wrote, if you have audio that already has some parts at 0 dB, a regular Normalization would not change the audio at all - it is already normalized.

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

Yes, this is limiter, not a regular Normalization.

It seems so.

• @tja said:
    Yes, this is limiter, not a regular Normalization.

It seems so.

It's an audio editor and under it's regular normalize menu.
    There are separate functions for compression and limiting for squashing the audio.

When I normalize with some other apps and then analyze the files there are plenty of clipped samples which to me is a nono...
    (They will sound 'distorted' when played back with a bit of volume).

Oh well, thankfully there are other tools so we're not limited to one apps way of doing things :)

• Yes, true @Samu

I like to dabble around with such things and Apps (instead of making music) and analyze the audio.

I never noticed AudoShare's Normalization to create clipped samples.

Maybe i can compare some Apps too.

BTW, I am so much missing a live AudioBus compatible IAA or AU Spectograph....

• @tja said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@tja said:
    While we are at it, any change to get an option to the Normalization Tool, @j_liljedahl ?

I would like to normalize at "-x dB" instead of up to the maximum.

Yes.

Background is, that with AudioShare normalized files show up like this:

So, I would like to normalize at -2 dB in this case....

Why would you want that? You would just be throwing away bit resolution, and get quieter playback on all services other than Spotify.

Now, that would be the goal, or not?
    Master for your target, in this case Spotify.

I would not expect people to master for each target separately, but maybe one for streaming and one for CDs or files.
    So, most will master for all streaming services only once.

And -2 dB seems fine in this case and I would like to do this with AudioShare.

As I see it, the point with looking at a LUFS target is that it may help you in your mastering decisions. If you hit -2 you know you can back off a bit on your compression/limiting/saturation if you think it will sound better, without loosing perceived loudness when streamed on Spotify.

If you think it sounds right and good as it is, there's really no point in just lowering the volume. Spotify will do it for you, no need to do it yourself.

Also, there's a big difference between peak dB (as used by normalization) and LUFS. You can normalize to 0 dB and still get -14 LUFS, it depends on the material.

• @tja said:

If you have samples at exactly 0 dBFS, and normalize with true-peak detection for 0 dB, then yes it would probably lower the volume.

And if you have a 32-bit float file, you could even have samples above 0 dB.

• edited March 2020

It displays poorly on an iPhone 11. It makes fading really difficult

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    It displays poorly on an iPhone 11. It makes fading really difficult

I know. This is fixed in the current beta, which should be available soon (after Apple has processed it, it seems to be taking days this time!)

PS. Please report bugs to me by email, I made this thread only to invite users to test my coming beta version :)

• It's interesting, what you wrote, @j_liljedahl and of course you know your implementation of Normalization in AudioShare best :)

I only knew about total basic Normalization, in https://www.learndigitalaudio.com/normalize-audio it is called "Peak Volume Detection" and from the description, this never ever could go beyond 0 dB, even after multiple runs.

But yes, any further processing or adding other tracks would add up.

But seeing a variable target dB level for Normalization in AudioShare would still be a great thing and could get me a bit away from TwistedWave.

And what I wrote, was not what I wanted to do for uploading to Spotify (I don't finish any music, finally) but just compare the effects for those streaming services. Also this feature can be nice, if you want to get some files to the same level (which may be normalized to something different then 0dB already).

Anyway :)

• edited March 2020

@tja said:
    It's interesting, what you wrote, @j_liljedahl and of course you know your implementation of Normalization in AudioShare best :)

I only knew about total basic Normalization, in https://www.learndigitalaudio.com/normalize-audio it is called "Peak Volume Detection" and from the description, this never ever could go beyond 0 dB, even after multiple runs.

But yes, any further processing or adding other tracks would add up.

But seeing a variable target dB level for Normalization in AudioShare would still be a great thing and could get me a bit away from TwistedWave.

And what I wrote, was not what I wanted to do for uploading to Spotify (I don't finish any music, finally) but just compare the effects for those streaming services. Also this feature can be nice, if you want to get some files to the same level (which may be normalized to something different then 0dB already).

Anyway :)

You can go over 0db if you use a 32 bit float file which @j_liljedahl was referring to.

• @shiro Yes, sorry - I overread this, as I never used 32 bit float...

• edited March 2020

🙂

• @j_liljedahl : Any risk when using the beta on an ancient iOS 10 device? I.e. if there are problems can I revert to the version currently on it?

• @tja said:
    While we are at it, any change to get an option to the Normalization Tool, @j_liljedahl ?

I would like to normalize at "-x dB" instead of up to the maximum.

A long time wish of mine too! Great to see AS receiving some love.

<3 @j_liljedahl

• edited March 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    @j_liljedahl : Any risk when using the beta on an ancient iOS 10 device? I.e. if there are problems can I revert to the version currently on it?

Can any beta testers confirm that existing Audioshare files are present and unaffected by installing the beta version?

• @SpookyZoo said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @j_liljedahl : Any risk when using the beta on an ancient iOS 10 device? I.e. if there are problems can I revert to the version currently on it?

Can any beta testers confirm that existing Audioshare files are present and unaffected by installing the beta version?

Independent of anyone's experience, it is wise to back up your files before installing a beta.

My existing files were unaffected but it is important to keep your files backed up.