Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM plus (discussion)

14567810»

Comments

• @Lorichs said:

@aleyas said:

@Kjo said:
    Another great addition would be to extend the channel midi filter with some basic midi cc filter: cc1, cc7, cc11, cc64

+1.
    And also being able to group and fold channels. So you could all your percussion channels together, and collapse the group to save on screen space.

• 1 for groups and folding channels

I was going to write just that - grouping and folding channels. Hope they make it to AUM sooner or later. I wish there was a way to freeze/unfreeze channels as well somehow something similar to Cubasis.

• @Foleslaw said:

@Lorichs said:

@aleyas said:

@Kjo said:
    Another great addition would be to extend the channel midi filter with some basic midi cc filter: cc1, cc7, cc11, cc64

+1.
    And also being able to group and fold channels. So you could all your percussion channels together, and collapse the group to save on screen space.

I was going to write just that - grouping and folding channels. Hope they make it to AUM sooner or later. I wish there was a way to freeze/unfreeze channels as well somehow something similar to Cubasis.

It’s obviously not the same but you can record any output straight into AUM Recordings Folder/Audioshare then use the file player to play the audio file, as a freeze workaround. Unfreeze a little more difficult but you could save multiple sessions for one project, one with the midi, and the other with the recorded audio. I know this not the same and I would like a smoother way to complete this process as well. Good point.

• edited July 2021

+1 for grouping

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Foleslaw said:

@Lorichs said:

@aleyas said:

@Kjo said:

+1.

It’s obviously not the same but you can record any output straight into AUM Recordings Folder/Audioshare then use the file player to play the audio file, as a freeze workaround. Unfreeze a little more difficult but you could save multiple sessions for one project, one with the midi, and the other with the recorded audio. I know this not the same and I would like a smoother way to complete this process as well. Good point.

Thanks! I do just that but it's cumbersome to say the least. A single button woulkd be nice.
    Still - love AUM :)

• @oddSTAR said:
    Thank you for creating AUM @j_liljedahl , I love it so much!

I hope this is the best place to make a suggestion for a new feature but one think I would really love is a "quick access bar" that could be a "always on top" channel strip along the edge of the screen that lets you tap the channel to quickly open the main window for any channel. Maybe long press could access the FX, too. For example, if you're using a controller with a synth and want to change a preset but don't have the synth window open and do have several other things open, you have to close them all or move them out of the way to get to the button to open that synth window, I believe. This would make that really quick and easy. I guess I'm suggesting something similar to what Audiobus does but within the AUM environment.

Also, I don't recall this being discussed anywhere else but what about a File Recorder? Sometimes I will record tracks and then load the result up in File Player. It seems like most of the bits are already there but it would be awesome to be able to just record a performance directly into another channel.

Thank you!
    I do have some other ideas to make it quicker to switch between plugins etc. Note also that if you have an external MIDI controller you can use that and map buttons/keys to show specific plugins.

A File Recorder is also something I'm planning to add, that would make it easier to just record a channel and then play it back "in place". Actually this might even fully replace the existing recording feature, with the risk of making users worried about where the REC arm buttons went.. :)

• @sharifkerbage said:
    Loving AUM more and more everytime I discover something new!
    Now I would like to discover how to set an irregular time signature like 11/8 o 13/8. I was trying that two days ago to record a guitar part in 13/8 and I couldn't find a way to quantize it in AUM.
    Of course, 13/4 would work too, but the maximum I get is 8/4.
    Is it possible to implement more time signatures?

I'll look into that!

• edited September 2021

@j_liljedahl said:
    A File Recorder is also something I'm planning to add, that would make it easier to just record a channel and then play it back "in place". Actually this might even fully replace the existing recording feature, with the risk of making users worried about where the REC arm buttons went.. :)

Yes plz!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@sharifkerbage said:
    Loving AUM more and more everytime I discover something new!
    Now I would like to discover how to set an irregular time signature like 11/8 o 13/8. I was trying that two days ago to record a guitar part in 13/8 and I couldn't find a way to quantize it in AUM.
    Of course, 13/4 would work too, but the maximum I get is 8/4.
    Is it possible to implement more time signatures?

I'll look into that!

Sweet 😃

• @j_liljedahl said:

@oddSTAR said:
    Thank you for creating AUM @j_liljedahl , I love it so much!

I hope this is the best place to make a suggestion for a new feature but one think I would really love is a "quick access bar" that could be a "always on top" channel strip along the edge of the screen that lets you tap the channel to quickly open the main window for any channel. Maybe long press could access the FX, too. For example, if you're using a controller with a synth and want to change a preset but don't have the synth window open and do have several other things open, you have to close them all or move them out of the way to get to the button to open that synth window, I believe. This would make that really quick and easy. I guess I'm suggesting something similar to what Audiobus does but within the AUM environment.

Also, I don't recall this being discussed anywhere else but what about a File Recorder? Sometimes I will record tracks and then load the result up in File Player. It seems like most of the bits are already there but it would be awesome to be able to just record a performance directly into another channel.

Thank you!
    I do have some other ideas to make it quicker to switch between plugins etc. Note also that if you have an external MIDI controller you can use that and map buttons/keys to show specific plugins.

If this could be extended in concept to act as a track freeze (removing the plugins temporarily until unfreeze, when they're added back with the same settings) it would HUGE.

Probably super difficult to do in AUM though given the routing flexibility it has. I guess the only way to do that would be to restrict it to just plugins on the channel, and only for non-bus inputs.

• @wim said:

@j_liljedahl said:

If this could be extended in concept to act as a track freeze (removing the plugins temporarily until unfreeze, when they're added back with the same settings) it would HUGE.

Probably super difficult to do in AUM though given the routing flexibility it has. I guess the only way to do that would be to restrict it to just plugins on the channel, and only for non-bus inputs.

Yeah, interesting idea. I already have some thoughts about being able to "disable" a channel, which would save the state and unload all plugins in it. This could be extended to allow disabling only all nodes before the FileRecorder node. It would allow continue to use any real-time processing of the played back recording. It would be a user action, so you can choose when to use it or not. For example, if you have split the signal by a bus send before the recorder, you might not want to disable it.

• Just throwing this out...

• @j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Yeah, interesting idea. I already have some thoughts about being able to "disable" a channel, which would save the state and unload all plugins in it. This could be extended to allow disabling only all nodes before the FileRecorder node. It would allow continue to use any real-time processing of the played back recording. It would be a user action, so you can choose when to use it or not. For example, if you have split the signal by a bus send before the recorder, you might not want to disable it.

Ableton Live’s track freeze feature is instructional for this

• I just had an idea that sounds a bit crazy, but it might be really useful..
    Custom categories for instruments/FXs units ( i.e. dynamics, modulation, reverb, or any other name that comes to mind)
    Idk how this could be set or implemented, but it'd be a considerable improvement to search for tools.

• @sharifkerbage said:
    I just had an idea that sounds a bit crazy, but it might be really useful..
    Custom categories for instruments/FXs units ( i.e. dynamics, modulation, reverb, or any other name that comes to mind)
    Idk how this could be set or implemented, but it'd be a considerable improvement to search for tools.

Yes there is already a system for tags in AUv3, and I'm planning to add support for it some time in the future. Both for tags set by the plugin developer, and user tags.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@sharifkerbage said:
    I just had an idea that sounds a bit crazy, but it might be really useful..

Yes there is already a system for tags in AUv3, and I'm planning to add support for it some time in the future. Both for tags set by the plugin developer, and user tags.

Yay!!! 😃