Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM plus (discussion)

Comments

• @Philippe said:
    Simple pitch and mod wheel on native keyboard would be super duper cherry on the cake. 😎

I recommend you kB-1

• My only request is a fresh take on the Bus system. I use AUM to route and host various effects for live electric guitar playing. It would be great to be able to somehow label busses and have that reflect through the UI more. It is difficult to remember what Bus H is sending to in a moment of pressure.

• @wolfsweat said:
    My only request is a fresh take on the Bus system. I use AUM to route and host various effects for live electric guitar playing. It would be great to be able to somehow label busses and have that reflect through the UI more. It is difficult to remember what Bus H is sending to in a moment of pressure.

Custom Bus names is something I'm considering for the future, yes.

BTW, coming in the next update: Hardware Sends, useful for when you want to send a variable amount of signal out into a external effect or so, without having to go through a mix bus.

• Dunno if it’ll be easy to add but Channel folding will be a great addition. Or at least id it’s too difficult, is it possible to lock the zoom view ? It’ll be easier to organise tracks and also for navigation.

• edited March 2020

What would be really useful is a screen or space where all midi assignations for all channels and devices could be done.
    Everything in one place.

Perhaps aside midi routing matrix.

Just being able to switch channel without leaving the midi assignation menu would be a huge workflow improvement for complex assignations.

• @Philippe said:
    What would be really useful is a screen or space where all midi assignations for all channels and devices could be done.
    Everything in one place.

Just being able to switch channel without leaving the midi assignation menu would be a huge workflow improvement for complex assignations.

Exactly what do you mean by midi assignations? The MIDI routing? The channel filters / transpose etc available for all AUv3/IAA destinations? The MIDI control of parameters?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Philippe said:
    Everything in one place.

Exactly what do you mean by midi assignations? The MIDI routing? The channel filters / transpose etc available for all AUv3/IAA destinations? The MIDI control of parameters?

Sorry for my so so english, and thanks for asking precisions, really appreciated.
    I meant midi cc assignations to parameters (midi learn).
    I hope it makes sense.

I wish I could do these midi cc assignations for all apps on all AUM channels without ever leaving the lists of apps and parameters.
    Being able to jump from channel to channel without leaving the menu (that require a couple of steps to get in).
    Would be super!

• @Philippe said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Philippe said:
    Everything in one place.

Sorry for my so so english, and thanks for asking precisions, really appreciated.
    I hope it makes sense.

I wish I could do these midi cc assignations for all apps on all AUM channels without ever leaving the lists of apps and parameters.
    Being able to jump from channel to channel without leaving the menu (that require a couple of steps to get in).
    Would be super!

Tap "MIDI CTRL" in the main menu, there you have all MIDI control mappings in one place.

• My only request is a full screen mixer mode where I don't have to scroll across to change levels. I'm baffled why this hasn't been implemented by now - scrolling across is just idiotic.

• @jameslondon74 said:
    My only request is a full screen mixer mode where I don't have to scroll across to change levels. I'm baffled why this hasn't been implemented by now - scrolling across is just idiotic.

That must mean I'm an idiot then! ;)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Philippe said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Philippe said:
    Everything in one place.

I hope it makes sense.

Would be super!

Tap "MIDI CTRL" in the main menu, there you have all MIDI control mappings in one place.

Awesome! Thanks!

• edited March 2020

I don't know if its already been mentioned but the only thing missing for me is a stop button that stops a playing track at the end of a loop.
    Like the play enable button that starts the track at the beginning of a loop, I would love to press a button that stops the track at the end of a loop.
    At the moment stopping a loop has to be precise so fading it out is the best option.
    Im talking about when loops are played via the file player.

• @Small_paul1976 said:
    I don't know if its already been mentioned but the only thing missing for me is a stop button that stops a playing track at the end of a loop.
    Like the play enable button that starts the track at the beginning of a loop, I would love to press a button that stops the track at the end of a loop.
    At the moment stopping a loop has to be precise so fading it out is the best option.
    Im talking about when loops are played via the file player.

The reason I did it like this is because FilePlayers is not only for loops, or the loops might be very long. But perhaps it would make sense to make the play-enable button sync also stop if the FilePlayer has loop enabled?

• Thank you for your response but I have realised I can already do what I mentioned!
    Just turn off the loop setting in the options menu. The loop then plays to the end of the bar then stops.
    Thanks for making AUM amazing!

• @Small_paul1976 said:
    Thank you for your response but I have realised I can already do what I mentioned!
    Just turn off the loop setting in the options menu. The loop then plays to the end of the bar then stops.
    Thanks for making AUM amazing!

Ah, yes that's right!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    AUM is now my most used app period.

I can see why it is a popular app and why the developer seems to desire to keep it from feature bloat. Sometimes, an apps seeming simplicity of design hides what is complexity in nature of great design.

I would however like to see an AUM that steps up just a few more notches in complexity of features. Towards a full blown DAW, but not that of the old tired paths travelled - something that keeps its simplicity of design, keeps its modular nature, but goes even further towards a unique touchscreen experience.

I sometimes spend hours just admiring the design and thoughtful nature behind some of the iOS apps that say - “I was made for touchscreen”. Things like: The Seline Redux keyboards, TC-11, DrumJam, Spacecraft, Borderlands, Borderlands, Etc etc.

Imagine an AUM that takes the principles of the best of iOS touch apps to heart, keeps its current simplicity to start, but takes a modular approach to its role within the iOS music making environment. Not full DAW as we know it, but something else.

Here’s a few ideas:

Imagine an extension to AUM that is the timeline of a traditional DAW. Now you’ve spent three hours making some of the usual AUM tracks filled with AU this and AU that. Now you select each lane you want to transfer to the Timeline app. One button press after a few selections and all your tracks chosen are now in place on their own timeline tracks, with all the fx in place and already in groups!

To make the selection process easy, a graphic representation of each track could be grabbed and then slide it into a grouping circle. Simple touch screen choices (and probably some complex programming) overlay of what are time consuming and complex procedures that ruin that artistic groove.

Nanostudio 2s design shows much promise, but lacks that final hurdle towards the basic needed to be a DAW. AUM gives us the simplicity and speed for creativity, but becomes a barrier to the continuation of musical process - it stops at its own selfish design pleasures and leaves us wanting just a bit more. IMO modularity is the answer.

Modularity. Not within a singular app, but with clever communication between apps. As above - keeping AUM simple, but adding optional further complexity of process and features, but trying to avoid the complexity of using the processes.

Ideas. Thoughts. Musings.

yes yes yes! sounds perfect!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:
    My only request is a full screen mixer mode where I don't have to scroll across to change levels. I'm baffled why this hasn't been implemented by now - scrolling across is just idiotic.

Well I do it too! And I feel idiotic! But seriously, it seems like such an easy fix, but would have such a massive impact on the usability of the app. Don't you think?

• edited March 2020

@jameslondon74 said:

Are you using an ipad? AUM is also for iphone and some modes don't work so well the smaller the screen gets. Personally i have no need for a full screen mixer mode. A scalable AUM would be nice but the Developer has stated some GUI issues with this unfortunately. AUM is the work of a very clever man IMO.

• edited March 2020

@jameslondon74 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:

Well I do it too! And I feel idiotic! But seriously, it seems like such an easy fix, but would have such a massive impact on the usability of the app. Don't you think?

There's a bookmark button at bottom right, so you don't have to scroll. I think you could have phrased that more respectfully, but...
    What if the bookmark button functioned kind of like the iOS app switcher that appears when you double tap the home button?

Everything below the app circles would disappear, the circles at the top would squeeze closer together, and the volume fader and FX would be replaced by more circles, creating a 6x4 grid (or whatever dimensions work best, maybe 3x2 for iPhone). Tapping on one of the circles would take you to its "bookmark". If you have more than 24 channels, you'd have 2+ pages of bookmarks.

• @jameslondon74 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:

Does using the existing mixer bookmarks not help you feel any less idiotic ?

• @zeropoint said:

@jameslondon74 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:

That means Pro Daws like Ableton are idiotic too ;)

There are ways around this already, eg use an external hardware midi controller or external controller apps, with an ipad there's always going to be compromises because of the display size. I agree a minimal customisable performance screen would be a nice addition though.

• For iPhone it would be great to have some kind of minimalistic scroll bar at the side showing number of items and letting to scroll faster to items

• And there is also an issue with aum not detecting correct landscape layout on the start up. You have to turn it to portrait it and back to landscape on iPhone X

• @jameslondon74 said:

Maybe there is way that isn’t insulting to the dev that you could express your feature request?

• @Carnbot said:

@zeropoint said:

@jameslondon74 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:

That means Pro Daws like Ableton are idiotic too ;)

There are ways around this already, eg use an external hardware midi controller or external controller apps, with an ipad there's always going to be compromises because of the display size. I agree a minimal customisable performance screen would be a nice addition though.

Another option is a Mozaic script as a controller.
    Assign it for channel mutes and levels of channels:

https://patchstorage.com/basic-midi-controls/

• @jameslondon74 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:

It's no easy fix, it's about implementing a whole new alternative user interface!

• @j_liljedahl What do you think about my app switcher-esque grid idea, as an alternative bookmark interface? I know it would take a lot of time, but the theme of this thread is proposing new features that would require hundreds of hours of work, so...I don't have any expectations.

@Skyblazer said:
    What if the bookmark button functioned kind of like the iOS app switcher that appears when you double tap the home button?

Everything below the app circles would disappear, the circles at the top would squeeze closer together, and the volume fader and FX would be replaced by more circles, creating a 6x4 grid (or whatever dimensions work best, maybe 3x2 for iPhone). Tapping on one of the circles would take you to its "bookmark". If you have more than 24 channels, you'd have 2+ pages of bookmarks.

• @Skyblazer said:
    @j_liljedahl What do you think about my app switcher-esque grid idea, as an alternative bookmark interface? I know it would take a lot of time, but the theme of this thread is proposing new features that would require hundreds of hours of work, so...I don't have any expectations.

@Skyblazer said:

I think that sounds very much like the already proposed "overview" screen where all channels would collapse into single icons?

• The one thing I'd really like is to be able to customize the plugin list like some desktop DAWS allow so that I can have all my reverbs together, all my delays together, etc.

(I swear I don't have too many plugins! o:) )

• @drewfx1 said:
    The one thing I'd really like is to be able to customize the plugin list like some desktop DAWS allow so that I can have all my reverbs together, all my delays together, etc.

(I swear I don't have too many plugins! o:) )

I always just swipe down to get the search bar, then type a couple of letters of whatever I can remember of the plugin name or developer. In seconds what I want is there, whether it's AU, IAA, or what. No scrolling, remembering whether it's IAA or AU, or anything for me.