Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM plus (discussion)

Comments

• Custom tags would be great though as sometimes you forget what you have, I’d welcome that.
    I usually just use the search function too. :)

• For me, it's that I often think "I want to add a delay here" rather than think "I want to add this specific plugin".

• @drewfx1 said:
    For me, it's that I often think "I want to add a delay here" rather than think "I want to add this specific plugin".

I'll add a note in my ever growing huge list of stuff to do... :)
    Perhaps it could be another Sort Mode, so "Sort by tags" would put them in folders, one folder per tag.

• edited March 2020

@j_liljedahl said:

@Skyblazer said:
    @j_liljedahl What do you think about my app switcher-esque grid idea, as an alternative bookmark interface? I know it would take a lot of time, but the theme of this thread is proposing new features that would require hundreds of hours of work, so...I don't have any expectations.

@Skyblazer said:
    What if the bookmark button functioned kind of like the iOS app switcher that appears when you double tap the home button?

Everything below the app circles would disappear, the circles at the top would squeeze closer together, and the volume fader and FX would be replaced by more circles, creating a 6x4 grid (or whatever dimensions work best, maybe 3x2 for iPhone). Tapping on one of the circles would take you to its "bookmark". If you have more than 24 channels, you'd have 2+ pages of bookmarks.

I think that sounds very much like the already proposed "overview" screen where all channels would collapse into single icons?

Similar to OP's "Timeline app" idea? The similarity being "collapse into single icons"? I'm envisioning something almost exactly like Apple's iPad OS app switcher, to replace the list of titles that pops up when you press the bookmark button. Has that already been proposed? Sorry if I missed it.

The titles could just be replaced with a grid of circles.
    Same small window, or swap out the volume faders...whatever's clever.

• edited March 2020

(Double post)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@drewfx1 said:
    For me, it's that I often think "I want to add a delay here" rather than think "I want to add this specific plugin".

I'll add a note in my ever growing huge list of stuff to do... :)
    Perhaps it could be another Sort Mode, so "Sort by tags" would put them in folders, one folder per tag.

Any way that you can do something like this would be appreciated. :)

• Lots of interesting ideas have been suggested. Going to be very exciting to see how iOS host apps develop over the coming years. The couple of years of AU have been pretty good imo and with iPads improving all the time, even greater iPad specific software will follow.

• @j_liljedahl Maybe I'll just get in the habit of bookmarking every channel when I'm building a project. I guess the preference for pictures over titles is probably a personal preference, and not that important. What about a toggle in the Settings for "Bookmark new tracks by default"? Would that be simple enough?

• @Skyblazer said:
    @j_liljedahl Maybe I'll just get in the habit of bookmarking every channel when I'm building a project. I guess the preference for pictures over titles is probably a personal preference, and not that important. What about a toggle in the Settings for "Bookmark new tracks by default"? Would that be simple enough?

I too have a preference of image over words, as I find it easier to register visual cues in my mind and the colour and shapes involved in pictures speed that visual recognition quicker for myself than the visual identity of words - for the most part anyway. Also, I feel that images fit in better with the whole touch screen iOS ideal as a whole. Yep, words help in some instances too, but I would always prefer more choices as long as the ‘neatness’ and use of the UI isn’t hindered.

• Here's my "artistic" interpretation. I hope it looks a little bit more practical. The small window could fit 9 square app icons comfortably without being enlarged.

• @wim said:

@j_liljedahl said:

1. Scale the interface up and down to see more tracks.

The UI would not really be usable at 50% zoom. Any non-integer zoom levels would look awful.

Instead, I'd love to see an overview window, where each track is reduced to just an icon in a grid (with the VU meter bubbles as a visual cue to active tracks), so that you can just tap on the channel you want and it would open the full-size view centered on that track.

Double-tap to toggle mute/unmute might be an idea for this screen too, as would drag-drop to rearrange channels.

Just a thought. I've no complaints about AUM. It's amazing.

likeButton.trigger('click');

• @tpj said:
    I save presets a lot but in many cases i want to update current preset.
    Currently you need to type the exact preset name again to overwrite it.
    ( after thinking of a really long good one ) 😁
    Then i get lazy and impatient with typing and my presets become a big mess.

Real talk. I do this same little dance a lot.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@tpj said:

1. Lock the midi mapping window while midi learning using internal apps as a midi source.

I agree. Unfortunately it's a bit complicated due to how iOS/UIKit works.

I just tried to allow touch events on AUv3 plugin views while the MIDI ctrl menu is open, and unfortunately it's not possible. While it's possible for any other views, it seems iOS does not support this for AUv3 plugin views, which are kind of special since they are "remote views", showing the contents of a plugin running in another process in the operating system.

What could be done instead is to allow MIDI learn to stay active even when navigating away from the MIDI Ctrl view. It could be indicated by blinking "MIDI learn" in the top bar.

Random idea... what about sticking learnable controls inside of a panel/window stuck to the bottom of the screen like the keyboard works? To bring the panel up, you'd tap a button inside the main channel pop up (next to the other channel MIDI settings). That way you don't need the initial MIDI Ctrl view drill down screen—it would only present controls available on that channel (volume, plugin params...).

On larger screens, the available controls would be tiled rectangles instead of a long vertical list. Tap one to bring up the current 'details' view on the right side of the panel.

• Being able to export a single track or a group of tracks would also be a nice feature for workflow, to build a library of re-usable parts. it’s great you can import and select tracks, or delete tracks and save the parts you want. But exporting selected tracks would be nice for this too :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Being able to export a single track or a group of tracks would also be a nice feature for workflow, to build a library of re-usable parts. it’s great you can import and select tracks, or delete tracks and save the parts you want. But exporting selected tracks would be nice for this too :)

+1

• @j_liljedahl
    When I set up my live set on Aum using “preset load”
    It’s difficult when there’s no alphabetical order. Also No folders per auv3.
    And if I want to change one of the presets Of “preset load” list it’s not editable. I can only change by deleting.

For now it’s probably not urgent but I’m started to use it a lot and it’s slowly getting chaotic with lots of auv3 names. I’m naming them by groups like 1fdgp1 1fdgp2 etc but they not listed alphabetically.

• “UNDO”

• This makes things very difficult for me. I’ve begun saving Noir presets (sound+sequence) and using program change on an elektron box to change programs. But saving and then finding them in the correct order is near impossible. It really makes the load preset via midi near useless.

I’d propose nested folders for presets, and also would love an auto map for that parameter. Say take an entire folder worth of presets and (alphabetically, perhaps?) map each preset to ascending program changes. Or any other way to quickly do the same. Perhaps in the plugin toolbar there could be a new button ‘instantly save preset and assign to next unused program change command for this plugin’; that would be brilliant. When I’m saving variations I don’t care about titling it so I can identify its spot in the program change list, I just want it saved and assigned to the next program change. Preferably not with all the regular presets because it would fill up quickly.

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    @j_liljedahl
    When I set up my live set on Aum using “preset load”
    It’s difficult when there’s no alphabetical order. Also No folders per auv3.
    And if I want to change one of the presets Of “preset load” list it’s not editable. I can only change by deleting.

For now it’s probably not urgent but I’m started to use it a lot and it’s slowly getting chaotic with lots of auv3 names. I’m naming them by groups like 1fdgp1 1fdgp2 etc but they not listed alphabetically.

• AUv3 user presets will be sorted alphabetically in the next beta.

• Any know why when I use AUM in to Cubasis as an audio track sometimes the link between them is lost? and can't open AUM through cubasis??

• can aum guess what audio units i want to use, load them up and createa new patch complete with audio effects and midi sequencers and then auto generate my whole next album for me??? 😎

• @reasOne said:
    can aum guess what audio units i want to use, load them up and createa new patch complete with audio effects and midi sequencers and then auto generate my whole next album for me??? 😎

Yes! Have you not found the magic button yet? :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:
    can aum guess what audio units i want to use, load them up and createa new patch complete with audio effects and midi sequencers and then auto generate my whole next album for me??? 😎

i think the code is c4 c4 c3 c3 play stop change the bpm to 74 metronome level to 13% then throw your ipad into a rainbow and bam!

• @reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

i think the code is c4 c4 c3 c3 play stop change the bpm to 74 metronome level to 13% then throw your ipad into a rainbow and bam!

Isn’t that the magic code for Sonic 2?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

Isn’t that the magic code for Sonic 2?

i think sonic 2 was the original aum

• edited March 2020

@reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

I tried it now. It works!
    Thanks for revealing the tricks!

What is really still missing is a proper genuine Midi looper:
    -auv3
    -fully configurable
    -multi channel
    -midi mappable
    -slick and neat ui ux

Haven’t we waited too long

• @reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

Down, R, Up, L, Y, B, Start

• I think this thread is amazingly constructive (even though I haven't read it all, sorry).

AUM is great and it does way more than I can ever learn but odd time signatures are very important for me. Any chance we could have something similar as the option in Xequence 2, where one can choose beats per bar and note division? In Xequence you have A/B where A is number of beats per bar and B is note division. @j_liljedahl ?

Ex: 5/4 or 5/8 or 9/4 or even 9/16

• edited March 2020

Having a VU meter in every channel strip would be amazing as well imo. Only showing the selected one on top is not clear enough for me personally. AUM is still my most used app though. I hope it gets more advanced features in the future.

• has midi-learn for bookmarks already been requested? pleeeeaaase...
    cheers