Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM plus (discussion)

Comments

• @Monome said:
    I think this thread is amazingly constructive (even though I haven't read it all, sorry).

AUM is great and it does way more than I can ever learn but odd time signatures are very important for me. Any chance we could have something similar as the option in Xequence 2, where one can choose beats per bar and note division? In Xequence you have A/B where A is number of beats per bar and B is note division. @j_liljedahl ?

Ex: 5/4 or 5/8 or 9/4 or even 9/16

Since AUM has no built-in sequencer, the time signature only affects the metronome. Any N/4 is already possible, but I can agree it would be nice with N/8 and N/16 etc as well.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Monome said:
    I think this thread is amazingly constructive (even though I haven't read it all, sorry).

AUM is great and it does way more than I can ever learn but odd time signatures are very important for me. Any chance we could have something similar as the option in Xequence 2, where one can choose beats per bar and note division? In Xequence you have A/B where A is number of beats per bar and B is note division. @j_liljedahl ?

Ex: 5/4 or 5/8 or 9/4 or even 9/16

Since AUM has no built-in sequencer, the time signature only affects the metronome. Any N/4 is already possible, but I can agree it would be nice with N/8 and N/16 etc as well.

I see, and it's actually a minor thing. I tend to ignore time signatures in AUM but if there ever comes a looper, MIDI looper or
    @SevenSystems decides to go for an AU version of Xequence it would be nice to have the host "dictate" tempo and time signature (I guess). As it is now, I believe "N" stops at 8. Just the ability to extend this limit would be great in itself.

Another thing I keep trying to do is when I have more than one floating AU opened. If there is one in the background I try to tap it to push it to the foreground (maybe a habit from desktop). Maybe you could add this feature in the never ending feature-list?

• @Monome said:
    Another thing I keep trying to do is when I have more than one floating AU opened. If there is one in the background I try to tap it to push it to the foreground (maybe a habit from desktop). Maybe you could add this feature in the never ending feature-list?

That's not possible, AUM has no way to detect a tap on the AUv3 user interface itself. But you can tap the title bar and it will push it to foreground.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Monome said:

That's not possible, AUM has no way to detect a tap on the AUv3 user interface itself. But you can tap the title bar and it will push it to foreground.

Tapping in the AU frame works too (not only on the title bar). I hadn't tried that. To specify: AUM frames every AU instance. Tapping on the upper or lower part of the frame is enough to bring that instance forward. This is enough for me. Thanks.

• edited March 2020

@j_liljedahl: firstly, the more I use AUM (which is all the time) the more I appreciate the cleverness of its interface design. However, since we are suggesting additions then... apologies if this has already been said, consider it just a +1 if so, but two minor tweaks to the handling of AUM presets would be great.

Number One, above all else, just sorting AUM app presets alphabetically. I save set ups of happy accidents in apps all the time, which means my presets lists are just long rambling unalphabetized messes which are hard to hunt through. If this was expanded to include sorts by date order, as the session save already does, even better.

Two: as has been noted by others above, it would be REALLY great if I didn’t have to type exactly the same name of a preset if I want to overwrite it, but instead clicking ‘save’ chucked up a a choice box offering ‘overwrite’ or ‘save as new’ as a choice, as I frequently save iterations of the same preset as I work on it. If the save as new defaulted to the original name, it would then be fast to append ‘1’ ‘2’ or whatever to the existing name, which might encourage me to use more descriptive initial file names. This plus alphabetic lists (and maybe even user tags/folders to further organise and group them) would be great. I could certainly imagine creating a virtual folder holding flagged presets across a range of apps, which together share a mood or feel.

• edited March 2020

What i would like to see is some extra stuff in place of keyboard. Perhaps a sequencer, or programmable pads etc Perhaps run midi au plugins in place of it? That way you could dedicate one instance on it of for example Mozaic and program it the way you like it for overall control of AUM and maybe some pads etc. Program stuff like mute groups etc on it

Or maybe even other plugins, so that you could have for examlple a sampler there. And why not have the ability to run a few plugins there and have it to bigger if needed, pushing other stuff away on the screen and putting them back to place when you put the keyboard slot thing down

@j_liljedahl

• @Svetlovska said:
    @j_liljedahl: firstly, the more I use AUM (which is all the time) the more I appreciate the cleverness of its interface design. However, since we are suggesting additions then... apologies if this has already been said, consider it just a +1 if so, but two minor tweaks to the handling of AUM presets would be great.

Number One, above all else, just sorting AUM app presets alphabetically. I save set ups of happy accidents in apps all the time, which means my presets lists are just long rambling unalphabetized messes which are hard to hunt through. If this was expanded to include sorts by date order, as the session save already does, even better.

Two: as has been noted by others above, it would be REALLY great if I didn’t have to type exactly the same name of a preset if I want to overwrite it, but instead clicking ‘save’ chucked up a a choice box offering ‘overwrite’ or ‘save as new’ as a choice, as I frequently save iterations of the same preset as I work on it. If the save as new defaulted to the original name, it would then be fast to append ‘1’ ‘2’ or whatever to the existing name, which might encourage me to use more descriptive initial file names. This plus alphabetic lists (and maybe even user tags/folders to further organise and group them) would be great. I could certainly imagine creating a virtual folder holding flagged presets across a range of apps, which together share a mood or feel.

Alphabetical sort of user presets is already in the current beta. I'll consider adding sort-by-date as well.

I'm surprised I didn't already have the text box populated with the current preset name! Will look into that :)

• @j_liljedahl Un-solo all and un-mute all would be really handy. Same goes for a toggle to only solo selected channel (when many channels are currently solo’d).

Thanks!

• @j_liljedahl
    Nothing to add to that feature list (except that tag feature for app sorting),
    just wanted to say thank you for adding that quick load to FilePlayer feature in AudioShare.
    I really love that feature.

• Add this remove that... ignore the buzz and work on AUM.

• @gusgranite going from memory here, but if you tap the red SOLO that appears up top when any solos are active, doesn’t that unsolo all? One day I wondered if it were so, and I’m pretty sure it is!

• @gusgranite said:
    @j_liljedahl Un-solo all and un-mute all would be really handy. Same goes for a toggle to only solo selected channel (when many channels are currently solo’d).

Thanks!

@dreamsaremaps said:
    @gusgranite going from memory here, but if you tap the red SOLO that appears up top when any solos are active, doesn’t that unsolo all? One day I wondered if it were so, and I’m pretty sure it is!

Yes, just tap the red SOLO label to un-solo all.

Soloing only a single channel at a time might be useful in some cases, but in many cases not because it only makes sense if you're not using busses. If you solo only one single channel that outputs to a bus, you won't hear anything. Same if you only solo a channel receiving from a bus, etc.

• @CracklePot said:
    just wanted to say thank you for adding that quick load to FilePlayer feature in AudioShare.
    I really love that feature.

Yes, especially when you just drag AudioShare in from the right edge in slide-over mode. A neat approach to adding a handful of file players in one go.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:
    @j_liljedahl Un-solo all and un-mute all would be really handy. Same goes for a toggle to only solo selected channel (when many channels are currently solo’d).

Thanks!

@dreamsaremaps said:
    @gusgranite going from memory here, but if you tap the red SOLO that appears up top when any solos are active, doesn’t that unsolo all? One day I wondered if it were so, and I’m pretty sure it is!

Yes, just tap the red SOLO label to un-solo all.

Soloing only a single channel at a time might be useful in some cases, but in many cases not because it only makes sense if you're not using busses. If you solo only one single channel that outputs to a bus, you won't hear anything. Same if you only solo a channel receiving from a bus, etc.

Well, I’ll be...

Thanks folks! Not sure how I missed that.

I get the bus thing too. No biggie.

👍

• I don’t recall which but I know some DAWs will and/or can be set to solo buses in addition to whatever regular channel you solo. This only would be ideal if it also disables non-solo channels from sending to those busses. But the option to set buses as solo safe could be a nice addition to AUM. Even better if it were per channel, perhaps a toggle in the pop up used to rename a channel. Nice, but it’s not any kind of priority for me, I’m just sayin’ ; )

• @dreamsaremaps said:
    I don’t recall which but I know some DAWs will and/or can be set to solo buses in addition to whatever regular channel you solo. This only would be ideal if it also disables non-solo channels from sending to those busses. But the option to set buses as solo safe could be a nice addition to AUM. Even better if it were per channel, perhaps a toggle in the pop up used to rename a channel. Nice, but it’s not any kind of priority for me, I’m just sayin’ ; )

AUM does solo destination busses also. So if you solo a channel that outputs to bus A, any channels receiving on bus A will also be soloed.

• Feature request: ApeMatrix-like ability to SWAP apps while maintaining the MIDI source.

• or use apematrix with aum.

• @noob said:
    or use apematrix with aum.

Need more than 3 outs from apematrix.

• best practice - set up templates in AUM all routed and rdy to go. saves you time

• @zilld2017 said:

@noob said:
    or use apematrix with aum.

Need more than 3 outs from apematrix.

I really enjoy the potential of a host within a host.
    I hosted ApeMatrix within Aum so I could change few sequenced synths while beat is playing.
    If only it had no crackles And cpu peaks when loading a new AM preset it would be ideal. As well as multiple outs.
    I spoke to the dev of ApeMatrix and he said it’s not possible to have it load a preset without a glitch since the Auv3 need allocation.

• Another great addition would be to extend the channel midi filter with some basic midi cc filter: cc1, cc7, cc11, cc64

• @Kjo said:
    Another great addition would be to extend the channel midi filter with some basic midi cc filter: cc1, cc7, cc11, cc64

+1.
    And also being able to group and fold channels. So you could all your percussion channels together, and collapse the group to save on screen space.

• @aleyas said:

@Kjo said:
    Another great addition would be to extend the channel midi filter with some basic midi cc filter: cc1, cc7, cc11, cc64

+1.
    And also being able to group and fold channels. So you could all your percussion channels together, and collapse the group to save on screen space.

• 1 for groups and folding channels
  • @Lorichs said:

@aleyas said:

@Kjo said:

+1.

• 1 for groups and folding channels

+3 For this. Already love that AUM support transposing and note ranges per node. Some addition filtering would be great. Another related feature which would be great, when working with external hardware, is re-mapping channels.

So, let's say I'm using mirack or LK to generate multi-channel midi patterns, but I want to send Channel 2 from LK or mirack to Channel 1 on a hardware synth. Currently, I use streambyter to convert channels, but having this control at the midi destination in AUM would be awesome.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:
    My only request is a full screen mixer mode where I don't have to scroll across to change levels. I'm baffled why this hasn't been implemented by now - scrolling across is just idiotic.

That must mean I'm an idiot then! ;)

AUM has literally changed my life. I use it every day on my iPhone and/or iPad.

The amount of channels on screen is pretty much the one thing that does bother me though. When you swipe up to reorder channels the interface zooms out - I would be happy if you could hit a toggle to this zoom level to fit more channels on screen. I don’t know if that makes it impossible to interact with the faders etc though? I assume there are other complications too.

• @gregsmith said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@jameslondon74 said:
    My only request is a full screen mixer mode where I don't have to scroll across to change levels. I'm baffled why this hasn't been implemented by now - scrolling across is just idiotic.

That must mean I'm an idiot then! ;)

AUM has literally changed my life. I use it every day on my iPhone and/or iPad.

The amount of channels on screen is pretty much the one thing that does bother me though. When you swipe up to reorder channels the interface zooms out - I would be happy if you could hit a toggle to this zoom level to fit more channels on screen. I don’t know if that makes it impossible to interact with the faders etc though? I assume there are other complications too.

AUM is the one of the best things that came into my life in the past 2 years.

• Thank you for creating AUM @j_liljedahl , I love it so much!

I hope this is the best place to make a suggestion for a new feature but one think I would really love is a "quick access bar" that could be a "always on top" channel strip along the edge of the screen that lets you tap the channel to quickly open the main window for any channel. Maybe long press could access the FX, too. For example, if you're using a controller with a synth and want to change a preset but don't have the synth window open and do have several other things open, you have to close them all or move them out of the way to get to the button to open that synth window, I believe. This would make that really quick and easy. I guess I'm suggesting something similar to what Audiobus does but within the AUM environment.

Also, I don't recall this being discussed anywhere else but what about a File Recorder? Sometimes I will record tracks and then load the result up in File Player. It seems like most of the bits are already there but it would be awesome to be able to just record a performance directly into another channel.

• Loving AUM more and more everytime I discover something new!
    Now I would like to discover how to set an irregular time signature like 11/8 o 13/8. I was trying that two days ago to record a guitar part in 13/8 and I couldn't find a way to quantize it in AUM.
    Of course, 13/4 would work too, but the maximum I get is 8/4.
    Is it possible to implement more time signatures?