Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM plus (discussion)

Comments

• edited February 2020

@wim : Cool, I’ll try that! :)

• I like to use AUM in live situations.
    Mainly Iwould like to see scene mode. It is complicated, but allows to surf between tracks.
    Most simple is to see markers option. I see it as a horizontal grid in file player. It would help in rehearsal situation. Also it would be great to add loop function to loop sections.
    I see my workflow like this:
    I do my live stems in DAW. Export them as stems, load them as a wav, add some AUv3. Then I hit play and switch between song sections.

• edited February 2020

@j_liljedahl
    It’s very inspiring to see the openness for user wish requests.

I would love to give some advise for improvements that I hope would benefit all users:

1.folders in auv3 presets
    2.save as auv3 presets inside Aum
    3.editable / shiftable preset load
    4.scene / state position save
    5.reorder effects per channel- thats possible
    6.ability to rename presets inside Aum

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    2.save as auv3 presets

It's not possible for a host to save anything to an app's internal presets.

5.reorder effects per channel

This is already there. Tap, and quickly drag the FX to the right until up-down arrows show, then while still holding, move up or down. You need to make the tap-drag-right action pretty quick to avoid the Pre/Post popup coming up on long-press detection.

• @wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    2.save as auv3 presets

This is already there. Tap, and quickly drag the FX to the right until up-down arrows show, then while still holding, move up or down. You need to make the tap-drag-right action pretty quick to avoid the Pre/Post popup coming up on long-press detection.

What I meant.
    2.save as auv3 presets inside Aum. and the ability to rename presets inside Aum.

and thanks for the reorder effects tip I actually did it once before and forgot the jesture.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    What I meant.
    2.save as auv3 presets inside Aum. and the ability to rename presets inside Aum.

I still don’t get it. Renaming, yes, but “save as AUv3 presets inside AUM” I don’t understand what you mean.

• Yeah folders for AUM AUv3 presets and also renaming of AUv3 presets would be great.
    I do more saving with AUM AU presets than in the apps own AUv3 preset managers these days..

• I save presets a lot but in many cases i want to update current preset.
    Currently you need to type the exact preset name again to overwrite it.
    ( after thinking of a really long good one ) 😁
    Then i get lazy and impatient with typing and my presets become a big mess.

I am trying to create a working system using icloud built in text replacement.
    .dl = drumloop
    .p = piano
    etc.

Very handy in AUM as well ;)

• The best thing about AUM for me is its transparent minimalism ... just disappears once you set up but you can see everything that's going on. While I'm sure there are lots of bells and whistles that could be added I wouldn't like to see that simple interface get too cluttered up with options and the like ... sometimes less is more.

• I would like to make a suggestion:

A looper that goes into the fx slot.
    It will have quantized recording.
    It will respond to program changes to switch to a different loop.
    Switching will be quantized as well (as an option).
    That's it. Nothing more is needed.

• @j_liljedahl

Would it be possible to have AUM let us open up an AU fx while holding a note on the internal keyboard? I find it such a pain to have to release keys to change what I have open.

• @wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    What I meant.

I still don’t get it. Renaming, yes, but “save as AUv3 presets inside AUM” I don’t understand what you mean.

If you save a saved preset inside Aum you have to type the name again to overwrite.
    Differentiate preset save locations
    1. Save inside Aum
    2.save inside app

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

L> @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

2.save inside app

[edit] incorrect. Based on outdated information. See below.
    This is the point I’ve been trying to make: It’s impossible for a host write anything into a plugin. It isn’t possible in any way for AUM itself to save inside an app app. Only the plugin itself can do that. The same is true for renaming plugin presets - neither AUM nor any app can do that.

Rename, and reorder in AUM’s own presets are possible, and would definitely be nice though.

(Plugins can publish their internal presets so that AUM can list them in it’s own preset browser, which makes it seem like it should be possible to manage them, but it isn’t.)

• Yeah, that’s true up until now. But now we do have AUv3 shared user presets (I think AUM is the only host to have added this feature so far, which are presets saved in the plugin by the host, which all hosts can see (once they add this)...but it’s going to take ages for all plugins and hosts to start supporting them, I don’t know any which do yet.

You now get the option to “save in plugin” or “save in AUM” when you save an AU preset in AUM.

• @ronald.dumbsfeld said:
    I would like to make a suggestion:

A looper that goes into the fx slot.
    It will have quantized recording.
    It will respond to program changes to switch to a different loop.
    Switching will be quantized as well (as an option).
    That's it. Nothing more is needed.

Agree with you in this.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah, that’s true up until now. But now we do have AUv3 shared user presets (I think AUM is the only host to have added this feature so far, which are presets saved in the plugin by the host, which all hosts can see (once they add this)...but it’s going to take ages for all plugins and hosts to start supporting them, I don’t know any which do yet.

Really? Wow, I did not know that! That’s good news.

You now get the option to “save in plugin” or “save in AUM” when you save an AU preset in AUM.

OK, I totally missed this. I stand corrected (and happily so). B)

• @wim said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yeah, that’s true up until now. But now we do have AUv3 shared user presets (I think AUM is the only host to have added this feature so far, which are presets saved in the plugin by the host, which all hosts can see (once they add this)...but it’s going to take ages for all plugins and hosts to start supporting them, I don’t know any which do yet.

Yeah it’s great, potentially :) unfortunately you can’t copy all your host AU presets to the new shared status in the plugin, you have to save them individually. But at least it’s a step in the right direction.

• I'm wondering if this would be doable: More than just the overall red-line total DSP load I'd like to be able to get a breakdown of what apps are gobbling all my DSP. Would be seriously handy.

• @Carnbot said:

@wim said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah it’s great, potentially :) unfortunately you can’t copy all your host AU presets to the new shared status in the plugin, you have to save them individually. But at least it’s a step in the right direction.

Sounds a bit futuristic features like other iOS advances in file technology 🤣

But happy with any new feature for productivity.

• Yay, iOS is finally catching up to Windows versions from the last century. :D

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    2.save as auv3 presets

What I meant.

and thanks for the reorder effects tip I actually did it once before and forgot the jesture.

You can already save AUv3 presets inside AUM. But maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?
    There's currently no rename function, but you can simply load a preset and re-save it under a new name, and delete the old.

• edited March 2020

@j_liljedahl said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    2.save as auv3 presets

What I meant.

You can already save AUv3 presets inside AUM. But maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?
    There's currently no rename function, but you can simply load a preset and re-save it under a new name, and delete the old.

What I meant is the convience of saving over (over write) instead of renaming each time.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @j_liljedahl

Would it be possible to have AUM let us open up an AU fx while holding a note on the internal keyboard? I find it such a pain to have to release keys to change what I have open.

Sure, I will look into this.

• @j_liljedahl with preset saving inside AUM is it possible to somehow backup prests? I mean AUv3 FX and synths like Spectrum which doesn't have standalone versions

• @lazyass yes you can backup your presets with the Files app, on your iPad folder, AUM has Audio units presets folder which you can copy to desktop or to another iPad with AUM etc. Just copy the whole folder, you can’t tell which sub folder is which unfortunately.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    2.save as auv3 presets

What I meant.

What I meant is the convience of saving over instead (over write)of renaming each time.

@j_liljedahl said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @j_liljedahl

Great.
    And maybe auv3 preset folders too? 🙏🏻

• @Carnbot I didn't know that, thanks!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @j_liljedahl

Thank you. Would be much appreciated :)

• Simple pitch and mod wheel on native keyboard would be super duper cherry on the cake. 😎