Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplr 1.4 with Ableton Link is out

Comments

• in 2020 we are so spoiled 🤣

general random statement rant comment :

the price of this app is cheap .. i don’t care what comparisons are made to other apps on the app store or hardware or desktop software.. it doesn’t matter. this thing is damn cheap lol
    you coulda got it for even cheaper had you decided to do so, now... you have to get it at the price its listed for, which is cheap...
    if you make 1$ a day or 100$ a day , does not matter, what you make isn’t what defines if something is expensive or cheap ... what you can afford is the factor at hand.
    i can’tafford a tesla , but even joe rogan who drives one and is a millionaire wouldn’t call teslas cheap just because he has the money... it’s expensive, he can simply afford it...

my point, a man made a product and years later raised the price for reasons unknown to us ...we can assume he determined the value is higher now, he may think it’s worth 400$ ... but he listed it for what 30$? is that the current price?? to him he maybe taking a loss to get this out to people at this price, but his passion is the driving force not his greed... just an assumption.. but regardless, if you’rea musician then you know you can’t find another product at this price that functions just like samplr , you also know about everything similar to it costs a lot more... in the back of your head you know this is a damn good deal...

i haven’t read all the comments, but what i can say is that it’s ok for people to wonder why the price went up... it’s ok that maybe now you can’t afford it this week... its kinda ok to be upset i suppose that it’s gone up... but it’s totally ignorant to argue that the value of this product isn’t worth it...

i don’t care about the op1, i had one.. it didnt work for me, i think it’s a terrible design(software wise) for the way i work... but i still know that it is priced right... so no for me it’s not worth 15$ let alone 1000$ but i don’t bash the creators decision for it lol i sold it and moved on...

buy it or don’t , no one is pacing the room to hear what you do with it lol , no one cares if you like it... the evidence states it’s a great thing ... take it or leave it

• @MonzoPro said:

@CRAKROX said:

@MonzoPro said

Of course it is, but if you had an issue with that particular post then maybe you should have quoted it,

>

Maybe you shouldn’t be so sensitive or try reading my posts more closely.

Bored now. Ignore activated.

Good stuff, don’t acknowledge your mistakes at least you’ll stop looking for reasons to argue with me now.

• edited February 2020

@Zaubrer said:

@CRAKROX said:

@MonzoPro said

Of course it is, but if you had an issue with that particular post then maybe you should have quoted it,

>

Is it actually possible to put people on an ignore list? That‘s something I really miss on these forums. I am so used to it from the other ones I am active at.

Click on their user name and then hit the little orange box (top right) for choices (including ignore :) ). Enjoy the sound of the peace etc :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Zaubrer said:

@CRAKROX said:

@MonzoPro said

>

Is it actually possible to put people on an ignore list? That‘s something I really miss on these forums. I am so used to it from the other ones I am active at.

Click on their user name and then hit the little orange box (top right) for choices (including ignore :) ). Enjoy the sound of the peace etc :)

Oh blimey thank you

• I don’t have samplR because I have an Octatrack which I love.
    Hahahha i have read a part of your debat about the price of this app.
    I was with my buddy 2 hours ago drinking a beer and debat about this FUC#ING rising price 😑
    I take the exemple of @brambos apps, which is for ME an very nice exemple of intelligently and conscient developer.
    The price of his apps is good and they are updated really fast because he listen the user fastly 👌
    So for ME the price rise of SamplR is totally unjustified.
    I know we are in a capitalism world blablabla, we have the choice... YES
    SamplR is 32,99€ in my App Store (France, Réunion island), it’s OK for me, it’s look like a amazing great app for experimenting sound manipulation 😋😍 PERFECT
    But I think the rising price is DE LA MERDE

So now I want this amazing apps and I’m wisely waiting that SamplR will be on sale 😜🤘

(I haven’t buy apps since a while, I’m waiting for the game changer DRAMBO 👻👽☠️, which is annonced 15€... 😂😘)

• edited February 2020

I'm mystified by these pricing debates. If you don't like the price of something, don't buy it. Devs have zero obligation to anyone in setting their prices IMO. They have incentives, and other motivations, but that's different.

• News of the update has been around for a few months, so there has been plenty of time to buy the app at the lower price.
    Stop complaining.

• @gsm909 said:
    News of the update has been around for a few months, so there has been plenty of time to buy the app at the lower price.
    Stop complaining.

Giggles. Feels pretty sure that this falls into the 'no one in the history of the world has calmed down having been told to calm down' :)

• @Zaubrer said:

@OnfraySin said:

@supadom said:

@Zaubrer said:
    Question regarding the topic of the thread, the app:

How intuitive and easy to get into is the app? Especially compared to Spacecraft. That is one app I regularly use on its own in standalone when in the bus, train or taking a break from learning just to get lost in different soundscapes. Is that doable with samplr as well or does that take a bit more effort?

What I really like about Spacecraft that I do not to feed new samples into it to get different results. I can just skip around in the default ones and usually find something new I can play around with. It‘s a matter of 10 seconds and I got some pleasing results.

Funny, I find spacecraft really hard to get inspired by or get positive (according to me) results. It seems to me that samplr covers a wide variety of sample playing modes from granular through vinyl to arp while spacecrafts output is generally fairly loose rhythmically.

When I first got samplr I remember clearly that I found it confusing and put it away for a couple of days. The stumbling block was that I couldn’t work out how to start the sequencer. Yes, as silly as that. Once I had that piece of information everything else was a breeze.

Same here.

I can't be creative or inspired with Spacecraft. I love the app, but Samplr for me is like sit in front of my piano. I can play and let my fun flows.

My real thought here, is that Samplr is an app for musicians

Ah well, then it Samplr is probably not for me. I‘m no musician at all, I just like fiddling with sounds and learn stuff about synthesis. Spacecraft is probably more like a meditational thing for me than it is for fiddling and learning. For the learning aspect of Granular Synthesis I already got Quanta and am eyeing with Borderlands Granular and Tardigrain. I guess Samplr would do fine but I don‘t think I would get my money worth.

Thanks for the input though! Helped a lot :smile:

I really wouldn't discount it or think that it's too hard to use! Once you get the overall idea you can fly around and quickly get wonderful sounds going, even if you're not a "musician". That said, it is an app that rewards play and the more you use it, the more diverse results you can get. In that case it's really like an instrument that you can learn and grow with, but you can also just muck around and make noise!

Here's a, really basic, rundown:

SpaceCraft is a granular type sound maker. Depending of the size of the grains you go from "traditional" granular clouds up to micro-sampling and, essentially, arpeggiation of snippets of audio.

SpaceCraft has two samples you can play in any instance. As an AU you can run multiple instances, but standalone it's the two.

SpaceCraft has a robust MIDI implementation for external control and automation, but if you're talking about standalone, it only plays what you are playing, cycling through the notes in the sequencer and changing the position with the LFO.

SpaceCraft has a filter and reverb for processing the sound. Both are controlled at once with a single XY pad.

Samplr has multiple methods of sound generation. There isn't a true granular engine, but the there's a "Bow" mode that gets somewhat similar results (looping small sections of the audio). Additionally there's a slicer mode for triggering sections of the sample; a looper mode for looping the sound between your fingers (and reacts dynamically so you can make it longer, shorter or even reverse it); tape and scratch modes for scrubbing through the sample (at variable or fixed rates); an arpeggiator; a keyboard mode for traditional, musical, pitched playback; and a simple looping mode.... Basically there's a variety of ways to make sound and most have a few controls to affect how they work.

You can reverse and pitch the sample while it's playing (both fixed pitch or temporary pitch bends).

Samplr loads six samples you can play with any of the above methods with up to 8 voices per. Of course it's not an AU, so that's the hard limit.

Samplr doesn't have any MIDI control, but it has a built-in gestural recorder so all of the stuff that you're doing with the various playback methods can be captured and looped. This is really the heart of what makes Samplr so fun. Multiple touches can be recorded at once and you can overdub up to 3 layers of this automation. This is a First-in, Last-Out buffer, so e.g. record pass 1, record pass 2, record pass 3, delete pass 3, delete pass 2, record a new pass 2, etc..

This automation is independent of the playback method, so you can change the playback method while the automation is still running and get some really unexpected results.

Also, there's a hold button for simply holding touches in place (that you can manipulate).

There's a filter and reverb, as well as delay, overdrive and tremelo for each sample. Each is controlled by their own XY pad; these controls are not automated.

While you can have up to six samples playing at once, there's only one audio output (unlike, say Patterning or Elastic Drums where you can route individual tracks to separate outputs). There's a master effects bus to add some global processing.

You really should check out Cuckoo's video amongst others. Most videos focus on creating melodic tracks from short samples, but you could just as easily load up long, complex sounds like the default sounds from SpaceCraft and create much more abstract sonic beds....

For a more in-depth look:

• The funny thing is that those who claim that the price is too high are those who do not have Samplr and who have never used it, and therefore, in theory, those least likely to do it... 🙃

• I'll be one of the old farts and remind people of what we used to pay for a single synth back in the day. In the early 80's I saved and saved just to buy my Korg and a Portastudio. Nowadays I remain amazed at what I can get for $5, $10, $20, or yes, even $30...

• @MarkR said:
    I'll be one of the old farts and remind people of what we used to pay for a single synth back in the day. In the early 80's I saved and saved just to buy my Korg and a Portastudio. Nowadays I remain amazed at what I can get for $5, $10, $20, or yes, even $30...

Better watch out, looks like Hainbach intends to raid your studio 🤣

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Hm. Bluetooth audio doesn’t seem to work. Am I doing anything wrong?

No, but if you load Samplr into AUM, it works perfectly - I always use this trick for IAA apps that don’t support BT 😺

Loving updated Samplr! All the best guys 🎹🚀🌈

• @Zaubrer said:

@OnfraySin said:

@supadom said:

@Zaubrer said:
    Question regarding the topic of the thread, the app:

How intuitive and easy to get into is the app? Especially compared to Spacecraft. That is one app I regularly use on its own in standalone when in the bus, train or taking a break from learning just to get lost in different soundscapes. Is that doable with samplr as well or does that take a bit more effort?

What I really like about Spacecraft that I do not to feed new samples into it to get different results. I can just skip around in the default ones and usually find something new I can play around with. It‘s a matter of 10 seconds and I got some pleasing results.

Funny, I find spacecraft really hard to get inspired by or get positive (according to me) results. It seems to me that samplr covers a wide variety of sample playing modes from granular through vinyl to arp while spacecrafts output is generally fairly loose rhythmically.

When I first got samplr I remember clearly that I found it confusing and put it away for a couple of days. The stumbling block was that I couldn’t work out how to start the sequencer. Yes, as silly as that. Once I had that piece of information everything else was a breeze.

Same here.

I can't be creative or inspired with Spacecraft. I love the app, but Samplr for me is like sit in front of my piano. I can play and let my fun flows.

My real thought here, is that Samplr is an app for musicians

Ah well, then it Samplr is probably not for me. I‘m no musician at all, I just like fiddling with sounds and learn stuff about synthesis. Spacecraft is probably more like a meditational thing for me than it is for fiddling and learning. For the learning aspect of Granular Synthesis I already got Quanta and am eyeing with Borderlands Granular and Tardigrain. I guess Samplr would do fine but I don‘t think I would get my money worth.

Thanks for the input though! Helped a lot :smile:

If you are considering Tardigrain, @MarkH has made an excellent and very in-depth tutorial:

• edited February 2020

@Faland said:
    The funny thing is that those who claim that the price is too high are those who do not have Samplr and who have never used it, and therefore, in theory, those least likely to do it... 🙃

It works both ways. The people who are ok with increase, 99% of which already own it, got a free update. The update provides features they have always wanted (for years).

New users like myself who didn't get it because it seemed like abandonware need to decide if the $30 are worth it.

It might be. I haven't decided yet. I would've bought at $15 and maybe even $20 given history/reputation without even thinking about.

• The initial pricing on iOS made most of us believe that making audio apps must be easy, and there is hardly a difference between having an app or not having it.
    Samplr was never cheap. Back when it was released cheap apps were £0.99 - 4.99.
    What made many believe that it's cheap is the realisation that it can be used as an actual instrument.
    Arguments like "it's just a hobby" in my opinion fall flat because it's your hobby that you are likely to spend money without expecting any return, therefore the most expensive way to spend your free time. A professional will only buy stuff he/she needs and knows exactly what value it represents. We don't have to have everything out there, if it's your kinda thing you will buy it, if not then you only what to have it, and you are used to have it for cheap here.
    Can't really think of a single commercial good where it would be acceptable to bang the table just because you think you should be able to have it cheaper.
    I'm sure it will go on sale, especially if this price fails to attract. That's how it works. That doesn't mean he has no right to set the price anyway he likes.

Parallel between a £30 app and TE OP-1 seems a bit far fetched. Back when they did what they did I thought that was greed, now I understand that subconsciously I always wanted that toy for way way cheaper. But I don't miss it and this is first/last time I mention it. :)

@Breezee said:
    Korg Gadget is a quasi-DAW, and yes, some of thier purchases are up there in the price realm of this one. However, Korg is guaranteed to have a least 1/2 off sales 2 times per year. And, those apps all work with one another in an environment. Do we want AUV3 from Korg, yes. Do we see constant updates and new things from Korg, yes.
    Samplr's Dev, Marco, on the other hand, was weak minded, gave into his fear and hate, and is now an apprentice to the Supreme Chancellor, Apple Team. Apple sets this price. You will pay it. This is the code you are looking for.
    Really though, Some even question if Marco is still the same person, as he has been feeding on A.I. algo's via Binural Beats in his sleep and integrating them into his DNA code. We're not sure how much of him is still human at this point.

⬆️ Sarcasm, in case anyone wonders.

<3

• edited February 2020

@auxmux said:

@Faland said:
    The funny thing is that those who claim that the price is too high are those who do not have Samplr and who have never used it, and therefore, in theory, those least likely to do it... 🙃

It works both ways. The people who are ok with increase, 99% of which already own it, got a free update. The update provides features they have always wanted (for years).

New users like myself who didn't get it because it seemed like abandonware need to decide if the $30 are worth it.

It might be. I haven't decided yet. I would've bought at $15 and maybe even $20 given history/reputation without even thinking about.

I feel you. Joking aside, no one likes to spend as much on an app, me less than ever since I'm not rich at all and music is the only thing I spend the little money I can afford to spend on (and sometimes, even a little more).

I think you should watch some videos on YT to understand if it is an app suitable for you, and in case if it is worth more than € 30, which I have never said or thought that they are few, just because for me they are not at all. Otherwise, as I did for all Korg apps (it took me almost 3 years to buy all the ones that interested me) you can always wait for the sales. Cheers

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Zaubrer said:

@CRAKROX said:

@MonzoPro said

>

All it ever did for me was drop a bunch of mystery boxes in all of the threads.

• @gdog said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

No, but if you load Samplr into AUM, it works perfectly - I always use this trick for IAA apps that don’t support BT 😺

Consider yourself King of the Internet for today! 🍾🏆

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gsm909 said:
    News of the update has been around for a few months, so there has been plenty of time to buy the app at the lower price.
    Stop complaining.

Giggles. Feels pretty sure that this falls into the 'no one in the history of the world has calmed down having been told to calm down' :)

😁

@gdog said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

Consider yourself King of the Internet for today! 🍾🏆

You’re welcome 👍🐬

• @MarkR said:
    I'll be one of the old farts and remind people of what we used to pay for a single synth back in the day. In the early 80's I saved and saved just to buy my Korg and a Portastudio. Nowadays I remain amazed at what I can get for $5, $10, $20, or yes, even $30...

You don’t need to remind me. There are lots of things I can’t remember over the last 30 years but I can remember the exact price I paid for my Ensoniq EPS16+ in 1993.

£1485.00 (!)

• SAMPLRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    SAMPLRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

👍

• @MarkR said:

indeed indeed, i had to commit a criminal act ( mild insurance fraud ) in order to replace my 244 that was taken in a burglary.. none of these apps would require that kind of risk to acquire methinks.
    all those who were begging for an update/link etc.. must already have it so..
    kudos to whoever it was who pointed out that Marcos may well have upped the price to slightly deter kiddie newcomers wading in with a load of expectations and hurling bad appstore reviews at Samplr .. i don’t think he needs the money.. just less hassle.
    The only downside of the price hike for me who got it day one for about £3.99 on my girlfriends ipad and went out and bought an ipad mini pretty much the very next day because of it ( making it THE most expensive app I ever purchased :smiley: .. IS .. it’s the first app i recommend to friends new to ipad sound sculpting... of course I will still recommend it .. I just have to add the phrase “it’s a bit expensive now if for some reason you don’t ‘click’ with it” ..slight shame.. but, y’know.. que sera, sera

• @klownshed said:

@MarkR said:

You don’t need to remind me. There are lots of things I can’t remember over the last 30 years but I can remember the exact price I paid for my Ensoniq EPS16+ in 1993.

£1485.00 (!)

I hear you, but the pure pleasure and motivation that came with the Portastudio was a big thing on that particular and memorable day....

• edited February 2020

I’ve > @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@klownshed said:

@MarkR said:

£1485.00 (!)

I hear you, but the pure pleasure and motivation that came with the Portastudio was a big thing on that particular and memorable day....

I’ve still got a 144 in the loft. I recorded probably nearly 100 albums on it over the years, for me, my mates and various local weirdos.

One of my favourite things was sticking one of the 4 track tapes in a normal tape deck, at some pertinent point during a party. ‘Blimey Monzo, that’s even weirder than your usual stuff’ they’d remark, at the double-speed, backwards racket emerging from the speakers.

• Being mad at the price of something is kind of crazy. You might regret not buying it when it was on sale, for sure. But if you've lived without Samplr for all these years? You don't really need it at any price.

I'm happy it's got Link; we'll see how this changes things. But for my money? I'd expect a $30 app to let you trim the waveform of the sample you're working with.

• I’m not sure anybody has been mad about the price in this thread. Disappointed maybe but not mad.