Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplr 1.4 with Ableton Link is out

Comments

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@denx said:

@supadom said:

@hightunnels said:
    New update seems to have broken the ability to send a loop from Loopy HD?

Used to be you could send a currently playing loop out of Loopy into Samplr using the share feature and be able to play the loop in Samplr immediately without stopping anything. Loopy would show up in the next available empty Samplr slot. Since the update Samplr opens without the loop inserted. Can anyone else confirm this?

I’m on a 2017 iPad with iOS 13.3 Thanks!

Seems like it is a problem with loopy as if you send the same loop to audioshare and then open in in Samplr it works fine. We might have to bother @michael about that one.

I seem to have the same problem starting from bm3. So it might be samplr.

Ok, but why does it work from Audioshare? Some @j_liljedahl magic dust?

I am still on iOS 12.3.1 and sharing from Loopy to SamplR works fine.

Seems to be the notorious iOS 13 share sheet weirdness.

It seems. So all we need to know is how Jonatan managed to do it. Likely through app updates ;)

It is curious because (and I haven't upgraded to iOS 13 because of this) people have complained that some sharing from AudioShare that works in iOS 12 doesn't work in iOS 13.

I haven't seen any devs chime in on what is up with this. I can imagine that it is a bug in iOS 13 OR that there was some spec that iOS 12 didn't enforce that iOS 13 does and so breaks calls that used to work (that shouldn't have).

• @supadom said:
    It seems. So all we need to know is how Jonatan managed to do it. Likely through app updates ;)

AudioShare is a file provider, so it's a bit different in some ways. But people have intermittently reported similar share sheet problems with AudioShare too, so it could just be chance.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@denx said:

@supadom said:

@hightunnels said:

Used to be you could send a currently playing loop out of Loopy into Samplr using the share feature and be able to play the loop in Samplr immediately without stopping anything. Loopy would show up in the next available empty Samplr slot. Since the update Samplr opens without the loop inserted. Can anyone else confirm this?

Seems like it is a problem with loopy as if you send the same loop to audioshare and then open in in Samplr it works fine. We might have to bother @michael about that one.

I seem to have the same problem starting from bm3. So it might be samplr.

Ok, but why does it work from Audioshare? Some @j_liljedahl magic dust?

I am still on iOS 12.3.1 and sharing from Loopy to SamplR works fine.

Seems to be the notorious iOS 13 share sheet weirdness.

It is curious because (and I haven't upgraded to iOS 13 because of this) people have complained that some sharing from AudioShare that works in iOS 12 doesn't work in iOS 13.

I haven't seen any devs chime in on what is up with this. I can imagine that it is a bug in iOS 13 OR that there was some spec that iOS 12 didn't enforce that iOS 13 does and so breaks calls that used to work (that shouldn't have).

Pretty sure it was working for me on 13 before the samplr update - will do the audioshare workaround for now!

• @kobamoto said:

@bleep said:

@kobamoto said:
    So grateful for the Samplr update, hoping next that we will get panning and sample editing within the app itself..., here's to another 100yrs of Samplr

Panning was actually specifically mentioned in the interview with the developer that was linked to earlier. He sees the app as a touch instrument where you interact with the sounds you have prepared. If you want panning, you need to have pan included in the sample and touch it accordingly!

I'm aware, at the same time it wasn't definitive so much as to be a rejection, and he has told me directly that he'll consider it so I hope that he's still considering. I completely agree with him on the ethos of the app but imho panning wouldn't destroy his vision or kill muscle memory, and he is keen on adding features that he feels will benefit the community at large.
    I believe that since he has acknowledge many times as well as in that interview that even though he did not create it for composing that many people use Samplr for composing and that panning is a feature that definitely falls inline with the kind he'd consider and find useful to others even though it wasn't his initial intention.... one can hope :)

The one thing I would hope for is multiple outputs. Then you could do the panning in e.g. AUM, as well as process and record each channel separately.

• @aplourde said:
    The one thing I would hope for is multiple outputs. Then you could do the panning in e.g. AUM, as well as process and record each channel separately.

Ooh! That would be nice indeed.

• @espiegel123 said:
    It ju> @supadom said:

@hightunnels said:

@supadom said:

@hightunnels said:

Thanks for checking @supadom -- its one of my favorite ways of using the two apps together!

Yes, I miss it too but I didn’t want to bother Mr Loopy as I know he’s focused on pro.

Is there a difference in file specs when shared from Loopy vs from AudioShare (including spelling of the extension?)

@Michael : any thoughts?

Have you tried using Audio Copy from Loopy’s share sheet, rather than Copy? Or vice versa

• edited February 2020

@Michael said:

@espiegel123 said:
    It ju> @supadom said:

@hightunnels said:

@supadom said:

@hightunnels said:

Thanks for checking @supadom -- its one of my favorite ways of using the two apps together!

Yes, I miss it too but I didn’t want to bother Mr Loopy as I know he’s focused on pro.

Is there a difference in file specs when shared from Loopy vs from AudioShare (including spelling of the extension?)

@Michael : any thoughts?

Have you tried using Audio Copy from Loopy’s share sheet, rather than Copy? Or vice versa

Just tried what you’ve suggested and it works with latest version of Samplr. The open in was a one step process so was quicker live but I’d rather you spent your coding time more (pro)ductively ;)

• @supadom said:
    Just tried what you’ve suggested and it works with latest version of Samplr. The open in was a one step process so was quicker live but I’d rather you spent your coding time more (pro)ductively ;)

Ah good! Hmm, I guess Samplr only supports a few audio file formats; Loopy uses AIFF, I'd say perhaps AudioShare uses something else, WAV maybe.

• @Michael said:

@supadom said:

Ah good! Hmm, I guess Samplr only supports a few audio file formats; Loopy uses AIFF, I'd say perhaps AudioShare uses something else, WAV maybe.

Yes but if I open in from loopy directly to samplr it doesn’t work. Same file open in from loopy to audioshare and then open in to samplr works! Magic! :)

• I don’t even have “open in Audioshare” available on my share sheet. I have to save to the Audioshare folder via the Files app..... Mini 5 . 13.3

• @wim said:

@aplourde said:

Ooh! That would be nice indeed.

I'd settle for that, but would still like in app panning while composing ... lots of moving around the stereo field there would be allot of tedious switching back and forth between screens.... still if that's all we can get, I'd take all of that lol

• @supadom said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

Yes but if I open in from loopy directly to samplr it doesn’t work. Same file open in from loopy to audioshare and then open in to samplr works! Magic! :)

Yep, because the "Open In" feature just uses the file that Loopy gives it (which is an AIFF). If you do it via AudioShare, I'm assuming AudioShare does an internal conversion to WAV along the way. Or something...

• @Michael said:

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

Yep, because the "Open In" feature just uses the file that Loopy gives it (which is an AIFF). If you do it via AudioShare, I'm assuming AudioShare does an internal conversion to WAV along the way. Or something...

Hmmm- that makes sense but “open in” samplr directly from loopy worked until just recently-and I thought if an app didn’t accept the file type it wouldn’t show up in “open in” - Don’t have my pad with me to confirm that right now

• @hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

Hmmm- that makes sense but “open in” samplr directly from loopy worked until just recently-and I thought if an app didn’t accept the file type it wouldn’t show up in “open in” - Don’t have my pad with me to confirm that right now

It's really just up to the app to declare what it can and can't support - if the app gets that wrong, there's no way the system can know in advance.

• @Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

It's really just up to the app to declare what it can and can't support - if the app gets that wrong, there's no way the system can know in advance.

Ah I see—thanks @Michael

• Here is a very Samplr-ed track. Hope you like it

• Really cool stuff @cuscolima !!

• Wonderful news. I really enjoy Koala... is this worth the purchase, if I am in the market for using the iPad as a serious sampler over Koala?

• @cuscolima said:
    Here is a very Samplr-ed track. Hope you like it

Good and various noise there.

• @cuscolima said:
    Here is a very Samplr-ed track. Hope you like it

Nicely done 👍🏼

• Does the new version have multiple outputs in AB/AUM?

• @GrimLucky said:
    Does the new version have multiple outputs in AB/AUM?

No it’s just a single output

• @JackDwyerburger said:

@GrimLucky said:
    Does the new version have multiple outputs in AB/AUM?

No it’s just a single output

Ok, thanks.

• @drez @JohnnyGoodyear @anickt Thanks guys ! SamplR is really a cool and inspiring app

• @Michael said:

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

Actually no, AudioShare does not do any automagic conversion. Not when using "Open in" and not when using the AudioShare SDK. However, there indeed are weird stuff on iOS 13 happening: some apps can't open files sent from AudioShare, and some apps moves them out of AudioShare (WTF?). I'll delve into this as soon as possible.

BTW, Marcos had trouble with this with Samplr as well, and we found out that it was about "security scoped URLs", one need to enclose the URL access around beginSecurityScopedURLAccessOrSomeOtherVeryLongMethodName, and an endSameThingLongMethod. I think all this is about opening files in place instead of copying them. I'm not sure what the best solution is, because I'd like:

1. Other apps not being able to move files out of AudioShare by mistake
    2. Other apps being able to opening files in place directly in AudioShare without copying them into their own documents folder

And I'm not sure I can have both..

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

@supadom said:

Actually no, AudioShare does not do any automagic conversion. Not when using "Open in" and not when using the AudioShare SDK. However, there indeed are weird stuff on iOS 13 happening: some apps can't open files sent from AudioShare, and some apps moves them out of AudioShare (WTF?). I'll delve into this as soon as possible.

BTW, Marcos had trouble with this with Samplr as well, and we found out that it was about "security scoped URLs", one need to enclose the URL access around beginSecurityScopedURLAccessOrSomeOtherVeryLongMethodName, and an endSameThingLongMethod. I think all this is about opening files in place instead of copying them. I'm not sure what the best solution is, because I'd like:

1. Other apps not being able to move files out of AudioShare by mistake
    2. Other apps being able to opening files in place directly in AudioShare without copying them into their own documents folder

And I'm not sure I can have both..

Yikes! That’s alarming!

• Samplr down to $15...

• Is Dropbox import supposed to work, just kills the audio on the app here and nothing works until force closing the app ?

• @wim said:
    [edit] Comments above made looking at the wrong version. As pointed out by others later, the folder is exposed in the files app, so it's now easy to copy things in and out.

Its not in the files app here, import from dropbox, app crashes, force close, reopen app, sample is now loaded and working from dropbox, no folder for samplr in files app.

• edited March 2020

Looks like the recent update removed the folder from Files app :neutral:
    @Marcos can we have this put back please :)

edit: heard back and he said it will be addressed in an update :)