Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioKit L7 - Live Looper by Coda Labs Incorporated

Comments

• @wim said:

@slicetwo said:
    Is there a way to turn off the metronome sound? Can’t have that if we’re using it live.

volume control in the BPM menu.

Yeeeeeah. I should press more buttons before asking dumb questions. Thanks.

• @wim said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    After loading this in audiobus 3 if I’ll close audiobus then reopen it keeps on crashing and I have to reboot iPad to make it works again. Don’t know why.

Its always a good idea to use the "clear session" button in AB before shutting it down. Also to force quit any IAA apps after exiting AB.

Thanks for suggestion @wim

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

So basically L7 into AB3 then into AUM if you're using AUM.

The template I have for Quantiloop has been
    honed over the past couple of weeks.
    I have a similar template for Patterning 2 which I had created
    for Patterning and then simply swapped out one for the other.

Thanks I'll have a look on wiki.

Not sure what you mean by L7 into AB3. Inside AB3, route L7 to AUM and AUM to L7. You will know be able (in AUM) to choose the L7 as an output destination. You can route anything into it. Anyway, the wiki page will straighten you out. Just use L7 in place of Loopy. One difference though is that Loopy can route each loop to its own channel in AUM or AB3.

Cool, I'll have a look at the wiki.

Basically L7 doesn't have individual outs much like the aforementioned apps.
    With those apps the outputs into AUM are interchangeable.
    Makes for much more flexible routing and mixing.

For instance I have all of the individual outputs for the loops in
    QuantiLoop alongside the main stereo outputs of BM3 or Patterning ii.

I'm using AB2 for Audiobus routing when I need it.

Very useful for that especially with increasing the stability of Auria Pro.

Using AUM I can only get stereo in/out as it's being
    recognised as a generator without multiple ports.
    Using AB2 I can assign four inputs which I have still yet to test.

For me to get individual ins into L7 using AB2
    I've created four pipelines in AB2 for this purpose

Screenshots to follow

AB2

AUM

• Some really nasty bugs here.

iPad Pro 12.9 2018, iOS 13.3
    1. Even using clear session button in AB3 And closing IAA manually will end up AB3 crashing when trying to reopen it;
    2. Audio recorded in Looper are different from the sound that we played while recording, seems softer,
    3. Trying to export loop from AudioKit Looper doesn’t work at all.

I will post a short video later.

• @wim said:

@slicetwo said:
    Is there a way to turn off the metronome sound? Can’t have that if we’re using it live.

what about the actual sound of the metronome, can you choose a custom sound?

• @kobamoto said:

@wim said:

@slicetwo said:

Nope.

• edited December 2019

hmm, maybe a template can be saved then cause if thats the metronome in red sky's video I'd like to change that sound to something like a wood block, rim, or dampened sound

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

I have a AB3 channel template with Rozeta XOX and RuismakerFM. Whenever I need a metronome I just add that channel, then I enable or disable XOX for the metronome.

• @Gravitas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

So basically L7 into AB3 then into AUM if you're using AUM.

The template I have for Quantiloop has been
    honed over the past couple of weeks.
    I have a similar template for Patterning 2 which I had created
    for Patterning and then simply swapped out one for the other.

Thanks I'll have a look on wiki.

Not sure what you mean by L7 into AB3. Inside AB3, route L7 to AUM and AUM to L7. You will know be able (in AUM) to choose the L7 as an output destination. You can route anything into it. Anyway, the wiki page will straighten you out. Just use L7 in place of Loopy. One difference though is that Loopy can route each loop to its own channel in AUM or AB3.

Cool, I'll have a look at the wiki.

Basically L7 doesn't have individual outs much like the aforementioned apps.
    With those apps the outputs into AUM are interchangeable.
    Makes for much more flexible routing and mixing.

For instance I have all of the individual outputs for the loops in
    QuantiLoop alongside the main stereo outputs of BM3 or Patterning ii.

I'm using AB2 for Audiobus routing when I need it.

Very useful for that especially with increasing the stability of Auria Pro.

Using AUM I can only get stereo in/out as it's being
    recognised as a generator without multiple ports.
    Using AB2 I can assign four inputs which I have still yet to test.

For me to get individual ins into L7 using AB2
    I've created four pipelines in AB2 for this purpose

Screenshots to follow

AB2

AUM

@Gravitas : you don't need to set up all those lanes in AB3 if you are using AUM. Just route AUM into L7 and vice versatile in AB3. IN AUM, create lanes for your inputs and route the destination to L7 in AUM. Buses can be handy, too. This is explained on the wiki page and demonstrated in some videos.

• i'd only be using it stand alone, I guess sample import would prob work good enough

• This is great feedback, thank you.

@echoopera said:
    @Jumpercollins @aure ok after some extensive playing with the app, here are some nasty bugs i am noticing a lot:
    . In stand alone mode it takes a very long time for the app to launch (this slow launch time also appears when hosted in AB3)
    . The record Counter feature doesn’t appear to work 100% of the time, so you have no idea if it’s recording when playing a synth in AB with the keyboard
    . When recording an external synth via an audio interface, sometimes i get those old audio artifacts like we had in the old days of iOS 12...where it would get crunchy and glitchy as a result of the audio buffer being full...or something to do with how it handles external Audio via an audio interface...definitely glitchy...
    . When Looper is loaded as an Audio destination in AB3 i can’t get the AB HUD to appear...i swiped in every area on the right side of the screen, but no HUD
    . i wish the Master Volume was the same as the recorded volume, it’s annoying that i have to constantly reset it to hear the sound as i recorded it
    . The 2, 4, A loop length glyphs in the HUD sometimes swap instead of invoke a record command...in one scenario, the 2 kept toggling between 2 and 4, and since the Record ring wasn’t present i had no idea what was going on. When i switched to the Looper app, it had recorded a loop...need to make sure that tapping on the Loop Length indicators in the HUD will always invoke record start/stop and not make the user guess if things are recording

Ok...that’s all i have for the moment...hope this helps.

Cheers👊🏼™️

• @espiegel123

Yeah, the moment I did it I realised what I had done.

Thanks for pointing that out.

What I actually need to do is test it on it's own
    now that I know it's routing limitations.

• edited December 2019

@aure Hope it helps. I like what you've created with L7 Looper, but for the time being, because of the above bugs and issues, I can't really use it for any of the music I make. It mostly works, but since it doesn't work all the time like LoopyHD and GroupTheLoop (which are staples for me), it's going to be a curiosity for me. I hope the bugs get resolved...cause you definitely have something really nice in the app.

FWIW, at $3.99 it's a steal, so if you're on the fence, I'd nab it now, cause I'm sure the bugs will be ironed out. :smiley:

• Congrats on the release @aure. Count me in for early support.

• I just got it working in AUM in the effects loop after direct consultation with Jonatan. It will be in the next update!

• @aure does it have different sections like verse chorus and such?

• @aure said:
    I just got it working in AUM in the effects loop after direct consultation with Jonatan. It will be in the next update!

Ah ok, that changes things - just to confirm - we can put it in the fx slot and record directly into the app, without routing via Audiobus?

• Exactly!

@MonzoPro said:

@aure said:
    I just got it working in AUM in the effects loop after direct consultation with Jonatan. It will be in the next update!

Ah ok, that changes things - just to confirm - we can put it in the fx slot and record directly into the app, without routing via Audiobus?

• @fattigman said:
    @aure does it have different sections like verse chorus and such?

Help me understand what you mean. I would say that this is up to how the artist wants to set things up. Do you mean like labels? No, not sure how that would be done elegantly either.

• @wim said:

@kobamoto said:

@wim said:

@slicetwo said:

Nope.

No, but a better sound is on its way. Maybe we'll have some options down the road too.

• @aure said:
    Exactly!

@MonzoPro said:

@aure said:

Aha, good - then you have another sale!

• @aure said:

@fattigman said:

Help me understand what you mean. I would say that this is up to how the artist wants to set things up. Do you mean like labels? No, not sure how that would be done elegantly either.

I think he means something along the lines of the Group the Loop app

@aure said:

@wim said:

@kobamoto said:

@wim said:

@slicetwo said:

Nope.

No, but a better sound is on its way. Maybe we'll have some options down the road too.

Please consider adding a mute metronome button in two places:

• in the audiobus bar
    • In the main window of the app
  • @bato said:

@aure said:

@fattigman said:

I think he means something along the lines of the Group the Loop app

Like this:

• From the YouTube demos this seems to be recording in mono. Is that correct?

• Does it do MIDI? Where's the manual or user guide? I bought it, poked around, and I can't find any settings menu. What am I missing?

• @MonzoPro said:

@aure said:
    Exactly!

@MonzoPro said:

@aure said:

Hey there, would you mind reporting back of it works in AUM please?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aure said:
    Exactly!

@MonzoPro said:

@aure said:

Hey there, would you mind reporting back of it works in AUM please?

Yeah sure - haven’t bought it yet though, waiting to hear back from an earlier question about recording into sections in a track (other thread).

• @MonzoPro said:

@aure said:
    Exactly!

@MonzoPro said:

@aure said:

And another. I wanted to support the project, but that beat one accent on the metronome is an icepick in my ears. I'll buy in good faith that's getting remedied.

• Okay, poking around in it now. A quick metronome toggle would be great. Even when you slide the volume all the way down it's still audible. That muted speaker icon is taunting me, "YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE MY EAR PIERCING METRONOME FROM HELL!"