Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioKit L7 - Live Looper by Coda Labs Incorporated

Comments

• @topaz said:
    User error, ignore ;-)

Don't scare me like that!!

• Sorry :-(

@danielfromcodalabs said:

@topaz said:
    User error, ignore ;-)

• @topaz said:
    Sorry :-(

@topaz said:
    User error, ignore ;-)

No worries - just joking :) glad it's working for you.

• edited June 2020

I think if you now sell it as AU, things like "single instance" and "doesn't follow host tempo" should be pointed out in description (standard AU features). Both dealbreakers here...

• Wait what ?

The whole point of AU is multiple instances.

I only got it last night and that was the main reason.

Can we get an eta on a fix for this ?

@0tolerance4silence said:
    I think if you now sell it as AU, things like "single instance" and "doesn't follow host tempo" should be pointed out in description (standard AU features). Both dealbreakers here...

• Can we get an eta on either multi outs or a lift for single instance restriction please ?

@topaz said:

@topaz said:
    User error, ignore ;-)

• @topaz said:
    Can we get an eta on either multi outs or a lift for single instance restriction please ?

@topaz said:

@topaz said:
    User error, ignore ;-)

Multiple instance - never. There is not really a point in having multiple instances of a multi-track looper.

Multi-out - not sure. There aren’t any good code examples of how this works. So it might take a little while for me to figure it out.

Sorry these are dealbreakers for you.

• I beg to differ, there are no simple auv3 recorder FX. the single instance restriction lifted l7 would fill that gap.

Not everyone uses apps for the original intention ;-)

@topaz said:
    Can we get an eta on either multi outs or a lift for single instance restriction please ?

@topaz said:

@topaz said:
    User error, ignore ;-)

Multiple instance - never. There is not really a point in having multiple instances of a multi-track looper.

Multi-out - not sure. There aren’t any good code examples of how this works. So it might take a little while for me to figure it out.

Sorry these are dealbreakers for you.

• @topaz said:
    I beg to differ, there are no simple auv3 recorder FX. the single instance restriction lifted l7 would fill that gap.

So you're just interested in using the recording FX? Tbh I'd rather make that a separate app than further complicate the L7 codebase.

• Sure, AUM is lacking an FX slot audio recorder with synced play back ;-)

@topaz said:
    I beg to differ, there are no simple auv3 recorder FX. the single instance restriction lifted l7 would fill that gap.

So you're just interested in using the recording FX? Tbh I'd rather make that a separate app than further complicate the L7 codebase.

• @danielfromcodalabs said:

@topaz said:

Do it!

• I mean, it would be awesome.

• @despego said:

@topaz said:

Do it!

I will definitely consider

• Oh wow. Just discovered L7. Looks absolutely revolutionary.

I'm still new to looping, and was previously considering hardware solutions like RC-505 or the Aero ... but this has me back looking at software solutions .... seems to have the best features of RC505 (varying loop lengths) combined with Aero (visual feedback of track status).

Now I have to look at an audio interface to get the hardware sound sources onto the iPad (without audio compromises)

• @danielfromcodalabs

I've been trying L7 in Zenbeats, really keen to be able to loop and overdub audio in there. The midi trigger control works (using L7s internal mapping) which is fantastic, but I had problems with the audio. Only 'Automatic' recorded audio, other clip lengths just came up blank, and even then playback was glitchy (i.e. not useable). Are you able to look into this? Is it something that should theoretically work? I tried it on both Audio and Send tracks, same result, L7s input monitor shows signal coming in (and signal showing in the Zenbeats plugin slot which has its own mini meters). Thank you.

• BUG: I'm seeing a bug where, after the record count-in completes, the looper goes straight to showing an empty track, with no recording happening in-between.

After much experimentation, I'm at a loss to explain it. It's intermittent (it can work the second time, fail again the 3rd time).

This seems to happen when there are multiple tracks (I've not seen it on 1st record).

Is it a resource constraint issue ? I'm running an iPad mini4, IOS13.

Background setup: Hosted in AudioBus 3, recording IAA apps.

• @bibenu said:
    BUG: I'm seeing a bug where, after the record count-in completes, the looper goes straight to showing an empty track, with no recording happening in-between.

After much experimentation, I'm at a loss to explain it. It's intermittent (it can work the second time, fail again the 3rd time).

This seems to happen when there are multiple tracks (I've not seen it on 1st record).

Yup,

Same thing here.
    It’s unusable at the
    moment because of this.

Good point, it could well
    be a resource problem.

9.7 iPad Pro 1st gen, iOS 13.4

• @bibenu said:
    BUG: I'm seeing a bug where, after the record count-in completes, the looper goes straight to showing an empty track, with no recording happening in-between.

Does anyone know, is there somewhere 'official' I can log this as a bug ?

• @bibenu said:

@bibenu said:

Does anyone know, is there somewhere 'official' I can log this as a bug ?

@danielfromcodalabs is the person to get in touch with.

• @Gravitas said:

@danielfromcodalabs is the person to get in touch with.

Thanks I was getting nowhere with the various coda/audiokit websites.

• @bibenu said:

@danielfromcodalabs do you maintain a bug list for Looper L7 ? I'd like to add the above if it's not already on there.

Also, I'd be interested in timescales for releases, if you've worked those out. I'm unlikely to return to L7 until this is fixed, but when fixed, then L7 would seem be ahead of both Loopy HD and Group The Loop (for my purposes).
    If there's unlikely to be a bugfix release in the next few months, I'll need to look at alternatives.

Thanks.

• Hmm still only one instance? Pity. Thought of it may be as an ENSO alternative.

Oh and please let there be an option for overdub being on hold. For me its unusable when there is no option to have overdubbing permanent as I am highly working with delay and reverb tails - these will be cut off (unless I am overseeing something here somewhere)

• @david_2017 said:
    Hmm still only one instance? Pity. Thought of it may be as an ENSO alternative.

Oh and please let there be an option for overdub being on hold. For me its unusable when there is no option to have overdubbing permanent as I am highly working with delay and reverb tails - these will be cut off (unless I am overseeing something here somewhere)

I just double the loop length and let the tail play out.

• Dev saying “never” about more than one instance was a drag. I really believed this app would flourish more than it has. The funny thing is they still indicate it’s a $20 app on sale. That should have been my first clue... The app is okay, I’m disappointed though and use alternatives...

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

It's not that hard to put L7 on a channel with mix bus input, then use a bus send on any channel you want to capture at the time. This is what I do with any looper. I never really feel the need for more than one instance of a looper at a time.

Enso is handy to be able to just drop in where you need it though, I will admit. Maybe a single-loop version of L7 with multi-instances would be a decent tradeoff.

• @wim said:
    It's not that hard to put L7 on a channel with mix bus input, then use a bus send on any channel you want to capture at the time. This is what I do with any looper. I never really feel the need for more than one instance of a looper at a time.

Enso is handy to be able to just drop in where you need it though, I will admit. Maybe a single-loop version of L7 with multi-instances would be a decent tradeoff.

Of course your right. I feel bad complaining... The dev is actually one of the more responsive that I’ve seen.

• @lsd87 said:

@wim said:

Of course your right. I feel bad complaining... The dev is actually one of the more responsive that I’ve seen.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel like you were complaining. I just figured some people don't realize that using bus sends is a pretty workable way of setting up so that many AUM channels can be piped into loopers as needed. It's easy to think you need to swap out the input app that feeds into the looper every time.

• I did learn...thanks. Finally got AUM This week and this helps.

• @lsd87 said:
    Dev saying “never” about more than one instance was a drag. I really believed this app would flourish more than it has. The funny thing is they still indicate it’s a $20 app on sale. That should have been my first clue... The app is okay, I’m disappointed though and use alternatives...

I personally think one instance of a multitrack looper is reasonable.

• I've never felt like I needed more than one instance. Multi-outs (if possible) might be fun though.