Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• @GRiker said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Wow, good to see updates are still going in for this. I feel the need for a printable guide for all of those keyswitches!

If you open Help (under the '+' menu), it describes the full MIDI implementation. I grabbed that section, reformatted it, and attached it as a PDF.

Thank you, that is useful!

• I can live with the interface as long as the function mentioned on the app store is there and works reliably enough but I know others are inspired more when using a good interface. I may have been lucky as I do not remember hitting any flow breaking bugs with these apps. Normally there are ways of working around or avoiding the problems I have come across but I understand the point of view that things should just work. I also normally leave the apps to bake for a few weeks after release to allow some of the loose ends to be tied up. I agree that more beta testing would be beneficial to iron out the more obvious missing bits of functionality and bugs.

The interface elements are reused across their apps and I would guess that this asset reuse is a big part of what helps them get stuff out to us quickly but is also something that people are not keen on. I know I would try and do the same in their position as coming up with a new interface for each app is time consuming and would be frustrating for someone who has lots of ideas for new apps and/or wants to respond to the market quickly.

• Hard to believe there is no "them" there. There's just one amazingly prolific guy behind all this.

• @wim said:
    Hard to believe there is no "them" there. There's just one amazingly prolific guy behind all this.

I did not realise that, prolific indeed.

• @wim said:
    Hard to believe there is no "them" there. There's just one amazingly prolific guy behind all this.

Just an assumption... it’s probably not the worst strategy commercially. You can put a lot of love, time and detail into a $9.99 app where everybody goes bonkers, like Atom 2, and hope that it is so much loved that it sells like crazy. But you can also create a stream of useful though not perfect apps that are maybe not so much loved but have their audience.

It’s probably easy for us to prefer the first approach but there are developers out there who really need to get a substantial income from their apps. Not everyone can afford to strive for perfection. I mean, I also prefer the first approach but I also respect the second. In the end of the day we make the choices what we buy.

Saying that, I wonder if for a developer who needs the income from the apps would be successful if selling a high-quality app like Atom 2 with lots of love for detail for, let’s say $30.

• edited March 2021

The very newest update only loops correctly (apparently by design) for loops that have bar boundaries. For me, this is a step backwards -- as I mostly was using this for non-quantized music with non-sequenced parts and the previous version let me loop parts that didn't have boundaries at bar lines.

Sorry for the false alarm -- it seems there was a user error on my part (and possibly an obscure minor bug that I have not been able to reproduce).

• edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    The very newest update only loops correctly (apparently by design) for loops that have bar boundaries. For me, this is a step backwards -- as I mostly was using this for non-quantized music with non-sequenced parts and the previous version let me loop parts that didn't have boundaries at bar lines.

Change Snap Beat to Snap None when selecting your timeline loop range. Does that do what you need?

• @GRiker said:

@espiegel123 said:

Change Snap Beat to Snap None when selecting your timeline loop range. Does that do what you need?

That fixed it. Here is the crazy thing -- the selection was not on measure boundaries but when it looped it kept going back to the barline before the selection.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Is there a way to move to a new song without getting out of sync?

What do you mean? Out of sync, how?

If a drum is running in Aum in sync with MTR and I switch the”song” or preset it’s a 50% ~ stays in sync

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

If a drum is running in Aum in sync with MTR and I switch the”song” or preset it’s a 50% ~ stays in sync

Perhaps you could do a screen recording and post it and send a link to Paul so that he can investigate and address the issue. He may be unaware of the problem.

Have you tested to be sure MTR is losing sync and not the drum?

• edited March 2021

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

I also tried this a while ago. But this just does not work. It looks like loading a preset takes some time. I think when loading a preset MTR has to swap out the audio pool. Better put all the audio you need for a song in AUM into one MTR song and that means in the same audio pool. If you want to play different audio files in your song then use the new remote functions to jump to the right location in your MTR song.

• @krassmann said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

I also tried this a while ago. But this just does not work. It looks like loading a preset takes some time. I think when loading a preset MTR has to swap out the audio pool. Better put all the audio you need for a song in AUM into one MTR song and that means in the same audio pool. If you want to play different audio files in your song then use the new remote functions to jump to the right location in your MTR song.

I didn’t realize he was talking about switching MTR presets. Oh, yeah, I would not expect that to work. Rather than switch MTR presets, one should load multiple instances preloaded and switch between them.

• @krassmann said:

@wim said:

Just an assumption... it’s probably not the worst strategy commercially. You can put a lot of love, time and detail into a $9.99 app where everybody goes bonkers, like Atom 2, and hope that it is so much loved that it sells like crazy. But you can also create a stream of useful though not perfect apps that are maybe not so much loved but have their audience.

It’s probably easy for us to prefer the first approach but there are developers out there who really need to get a substantial income from their apps. Not everyone can afford to strive for perfection. I mean, I also prefer the first approach but I also respect the second. In the end of the day we make the choices what we buy.

Saying that, I wonder if for a developer who needs the income from the apps would be successful if selling a high-quality app like Atom 2 with lots of love for detail for, let’s say $30.

Right on the money. Great post and reminder.

• There is not a lot of money to be made from iOS music software development -- at any price point, unfortunately. Many well-regarded and popular music apps don't generate enough income to justify development as a profit motive. So, each developer has to figure out how to balance personal satisfaction and serving customer expectations/desires -- understanding that serving customer expectations/desires may have little positive impact on profitability.

• Yeah that’s totally right. And it even doesn’t stop there. Also the iOS music Youtubers do not really earn well, although they produce top-notch content. I just entered Jakob Haq into one of these influencer income estimation tools and the estimation was about $120-$330 per month. I mean his videos are really very professionally produced, topics deeply researched.

After all this whining, let’s maybe look at the bright side. The iOS music community is very special. It’s a small and cozy niche where the developers and the Youtubers are an integral part of the community. Do you know any other community where most people buy products that they don’t need just to support the producers? When I search ‘instabuy ios’ on google, a link to this forum is number 6 on the first page and the other search results are about a company named instabuy.

We are a crazy mixture of enthusiasts. And many devs here, too. I am a heavy Internet user since the mid 90s I burned a lot of time in many forums but I’ve never experienced something like this forum. I love to come back here every day. Working with these neat little apps gives me such a great joy. Who knows how long it will stay that way. Maybe with the upcoming new iPad Pro Apple establishes a pro segment, launches Logic on the iPad and suddenly all the big names join the party and soon after it is like in the desktop world.... joking.

• @krassmann said:
    Yeah that’s totally right. And it even doesn’t stop there. Also the iOS music Youtubers do not really earn well, although they produce top-notch content. I just entered Jakob Haq into one of these influencer income estimation tools and the estimation was about $120-$330 per month. I mean his videos are really very professionally produced, topics deeply researched.

After all this whining, let’s maybe look at the bright side. The iOS music community is very special. It’s a small and cozy niche where the developers and the Youtubers are an integral part of the community. Do you know any other community where most people buy products that they don’t need just to support the producers? When I search ‘instabuy ios’ on google, a link to this forum is number 6 on the first page and the other search results are about a company named instabuy.

We are a crazy mixture of enthusiasts. And many devs here, too. I am a heavy Internet user since the mid 90s I burned a lot of time in many forums but I’ve never experienced something like this forum. I love to come back here every day. Working with these neat little apps gives me such a great joy. Who knows how long it will stay that way. Maybe with the upcoming new iPad Pro Apple establishes a pro segment, launches Logic on the iPad and suddenly all the big names join the party and soon after it is like in the desktop world.... joking.

One day it will happen though, it’s inevitable. Just a matter of when. Make the most of now - people will refer to these years as the ‘golden age of iOS production’ one day 😉

• @krassmann said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Thnx. Good tip. I’ll try it later

• edited March 2021

Multitrack Audio Recorder has been updated to 1.19:

v1.19
    Fixed an issue which occasionally caused clips not play when looping.
    Added a new remote record on MIDI note G#2 and a delete last recording on note A2 to allow recording of loops on the fly.
    Exposed scheduled looping options C3-B4 as automation parameters so they can be mapped in AUM to external hardware.
    Exported the remote record and delete recording options to the automation parameters.
    Other minor fixes.
    Updated the help.

I've updated the key switch reference PDF with the latest additions.

• @GRiker said:
    Multitrack Audio Recorder has been updated to 1.19:

v1.19
    Fixed an issue which occasionally caused clips not play when looping.
    Added a new remote record on MIDI note G#2 and a delete last recording on note A2 to allow recording of loops on the fly.
    Exposed scheduled looping options C3-B4 as automation parameters so they can be mapped in AUM to external hardware.
    Exported the remote record and delete recording options to the automation parameters.
    Other minor fixes.
    Updated the help.

I've updated the key switch reference PDF with the latest additions.

Nice one!

• edited March 2021

I've recorded 1 bar in MTR. Then exported it. Pulled it into Logic and there is an extra bit on the end! WTF!

• @NimboStratus said:
    I've recorded 1 bar in MTR. Then exported it. Pulled it into Logic and there is an extra bit on the end! WTF!

What process did you use to export? Did you mixdown or export an individual wav?
    What do you mean “there is an extra bit”? Do you mean it is longer than you expected ? If so, is there anything other than silence? How did you determine how long the file should be?

• Exported individual wave. It's 120 BPM (both AUM/Logic) and two bars long like this

But in Logic

Odd, but now recording 4 mins worth (i.e. the whole track, with same thing looping over and over) so it's not a problem now just odd.

BUT have found another bug and that is the mute buttons don't seem to work when a track is being recorded, I mean the ones not being recorded.

• @NimboStratus said:
    Exported individual wave. It's 120 BPM (both AUM/Logic) and two bars long like this

But in Logic

Odd, but now recording 4 mins worth (i.e. the whole track, with same thing looping over and over) so it's not a problem now just odd.

BUT have found another bug and that is the mute buttons don't seem to work when a track is being recorded, I mean the ones not being recorded.

Are you sure that extra bit is actually extra and not a case of your having recorded more than you intended? Does it not appear in the original track?

• edited March 2021

Possibly, but I cut it down to the 2 beats and that is all I can see.

Another feature request - PLEASE allow us to export ALL WAVs in the audio pool.

Will try emailed support AT 4pockets.com at the link from the AppStore takes me to some "random" site!

However starting to think just recording the entirety of each track in AUM and grabbing into Logic is going to be easier.

• @NimboStratus said:
    Possibly, but I cut it down to the 2 beats and that is all I can see.

Another feature request - PLEASE allow us to export ALL WAVs in the audio pool.

Will try emailed support AT 4pockets.com at the link from the AppStore takes me to some "random" site!

However starting to think just recording the entirety of each track in AUM and grabbing into Logic is going to be easier.

If you trim an event, it doesn’t crop the audio file...it just points to the audio in the file used by the event.

• I believe if you mixdown a track in Audio Pool with a trimmed (or faded) clip, the mixdown will represent the clip as played on the timeline. Select the range for the mixdown on the timeline, then invoke Mixdown in Audio Pool.

• New video from 4pockets:

• @White said:
    New video from 4pockets:

It’s just too much for my brain to handle! 😂

Might come in handy at some point

• @White Thanks for that. Interesting comment at the end about more upcoming features. Good to see 4pockets are continuing to invest time in this one, it has got a lot of use from me.

• Wow, great video! 👍

I’m glad I watched. I think this could become totally useful now as a clip recorder / launcher in AUM coordinated by Atom or LK. Good timing too. I just spent time trying to set up EG Pulse for this, only to remember that it still has issues with 48K audio rate in hosts. :|

I’m looking forward to giving this a go. (Though I always seem to end up wondering why I don’t just use Zenbeats instead of trying to cobble something together.)