Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• You can only record one track at a time, but it does support Multi-bus Audio instances up to 8 outputs.

• Cool, single track record isn’t really a limitation for me and can always stick 2 or more AUM tracks onto a bus to have a merged track record. The ability to get the stems out individually if I’ve recorded separately if more important either as files for Logic Pro or in real-time via multi out. Thanks.

It does look rather good and solves my audio player / recorder part of my AUM workflow. Think piano roll for midi and sEGments for the sampler parts.

I know Drambo is possible an option here but for me this is easier for my old brain :-).

• @GRiker said:
    You can only record one track at a time, but it does support Multi-bus Audio instances up to 8 outputs.

you can have multiple instances open and record into each open instance. If each is open to the same song all the recordings will go into the song’s pool. The catch is that while the audio files will all go into the pool, MT Recorder doesn’t know to combine the different version when you save them. So, you will have to drag the events into the timeline of one of the instances and save it.

• Wow! Yes nice that’s cool. Purchased! If I had paid attention I would have bought this weeks back!! It’s a super bit of kit!

• It’s a shame you cannot reduce the size of the top part to make the track editing easier but suppose it’s more of a conduit to get out into logic etc so no biggie. Nice to see it’s still being developed 😘

• Can you drag n drop loops into the timeline or is it record in only?

• @NimboStratus said:
    Sorry if this has been asked before but can you record multiple AUM individual tracks at the same time into individual tracks in the recorder? Also is it multitrack playback meaning can I send each recorded track to an individual out from AUM to my Audiofuse ADAT channels?

I'm not super familiar with this app, have inky used it a few times, but I believe the answer to both these is no.

• @soundtemple said:
    Can you drag n drop loops into the timeline or is it record in only?

Drag and drop is supported in both the audio pool and the timeline.

• I just can’t get with having to record the same audio in aum and multi track at the same time to capture loops in MT. The iPad memory is valuable and doubling loops and remembering to delete them is not at all ideal. Why can’t it Loop with host sync on

• @reasOne said:
    I just can’t get with having to record the same audio in aum and multi track at the same time to capture loops in MT. The iPad memory is valuable and doubling loops and remembering to delete them is not at all ideal. Why can’t it Loop with host sync on

The bigger question in my mind is why does it require you to record in AUM to record in remote mode.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@reasOne said:
    I just can’t get with having to record the same audio in aum and multi track at the same time to capture loops in MT. The iPad memory is valuable and doubling loops and remembering to delete them is not at all ideal. Why can’t it Loop with host sync on

Indeed, it’s silly design. I’m puzzled why 4pockets wasnt interested in improving that.

But it’s not correct that you have to record the same audio. You just need to have at least one AUM track armed. It can be an empty one.

• @espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

The bigger question in my mind is why does it require you to record in AUM to record in remote mode.

I think his thinking was “remote” means follow all the host transport controls. Surprisingly narrow thinking. I mean ... AudioBus doesn’t even have a record button to follow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

I think his thinking was “remote” means follow all the host transport controls. Surprisingly narrow thinking. I mean ... AudioBus doesn’t even have a record button to follow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Has anyone had luck engaging him. This is so close to being wonderful. A few minor tweaks like this would make it so much better.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

Has anyone had luck engaging him. This is so close to being wonderful. A few minor tweaks like this would make it so much better.

I emailed him about having trouble moving clips around on the timeline. He didn’t reply but did put something in the help pages about it so maybe he’s had the same comments a number of times. It might be worth us all emailing him the same requests? 😂

It’s a weird setup anyway but will do the trick until loopy pro.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

I did, and he was quite responsive up to a point. Some of the features now there were added in response to our dialog, and quite quickly too. But when it came to the remote/record behavior I gave up because he wouldn’t engage.

• edited March 2021

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

I did, and he was quite responsive up to a point. Some of the features now there were added in response to our dialog, and quite quickly too. But when it came to the remote/record behavior I gave up because he wouldn’t engage.

Well, I can follow this logic.

Host sync means that MTR exactly follows the host‘s timeline, so this makes its own looping impossible. It would only loop if the host loops but AUM doesn‘t of a notion of looping.

Remote means that MTR is linked to the events of the host‘s transport controls. Then MTR is not synced to the timeline and can do its own looping. But it must do whatever is done to the host‘s transport including record.

I find this quite consistent but what you guys want is a custom host mode where you can set the options how to follow the host yourself. Like sync to the host‘s tempo on, timeline follow off, link to transport ‘play’ on and to transport ‘record’ off.

I can understand he wants to keep the consistency for the two existing host modes but maybe it’s possible to convince him to add a custom mode. I can write this idea to him.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@krassmann said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

Host sync means that MTR exactly follows the host‘s timeline, so this makes its own looping impossible. It would only loop if the host loops but AUM doesn‘t of a notion of looping.

Remote means that MTR is linked to the events of the host‘s transport controls. Then MTR is not synced to the timeline and can do its own looping. But it must do whatever is done to the host‘s transport including record.

I find this quite consistent but what you guys want is a custom host mode where you can set the options how to follow the host yourself. Like sync to the host‘s tempo on, timeline follow off, link to transport ‘play’ on and to transport ‘record’ off.

I can understand he wants to keep the consistency for the two existing host modes but maybe it’s possible to convince him to add a custom mode. I can write this idea to him.

Actually, all I was referring to is the fact that you cannot record in MultiTrack when Remote is engaged, unless you press Rec in AUM. But you can’t press Rec in AUM unless you have at least one AUM track armed for recording.

All I would like to see is the ability to arm a track for recording in MTR with Remote engaged, then to be able to press Play in AUM to start (and record) in MTR.

Looping got inserted into the discussion because in order to loop in MTR while starting things with the AUM play button, you need to disengage host sync, and engage remote. So, if you want to loop, and record in response to AUM’s play button, you again have to record a dummy track in AUM.

This is fixable without breaking any concepts by just adding the ability to record arm a track in MTR when Remote is engaged. Simple, but he doesn’t seem to want to do it.

• edited March 2021

@wim said:

@krassmann said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

Actually, all I was referring to is the fact that you cannot record in MultiTrack when Remote is engaged, unless you press Rec in AUM. But you can’t press Rec in AUM unless you have at least one AUM track armed for recording.

All I would like to see is the ability to arm a track for recording in MTR with Remote engaged, then to be able to press Play in AUM to start (and record) in MTR.

If I’m not mistaken, in remote mode you can arm a track, set a loop region and set punch in and optionally punch out. Then MTR records the loop region. Wouldn’t this be a workaround?

Looping got inserted into the discussion because in order to loop in MTR while starting things with the AUM play button, you need to disengage host sync, and engage remote. So, if you want to loop, and record in response to AUM’s play button, you again have to record a dummy track in AUM.

This is fixable without breaking any concepts by just adding the ability to record arm a track in MTR when Remote is engaged. Simple, but he doesn’t seem to want to do it.

No, that breaks the logic that in this mode the host controls MTR’s transport - including the record button.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:

Indeed, it’s silly design. I’m puzzled why 4pockets wasnt interested in improving that.

But it’s not correct that you have to record the same audio. You just need to have at least one AUM track armed. It can be an empty one.

Ahh !! Brilliant discovery. That helps a lot. Still isn’t really awesome but much better hehe> @espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

Very strange

• @krassmann said:

@wim said:

@krassmann said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

If I’m not mistaken, in remote mode you can arm a track, set a loop region and set punch in and optionally punch out. Then MTR records the loop region. Wouldn’t this be a workaround?

No, that breaks the logic that in this mode the host controls MTR’s transport - including the record button.

Sometimes strict adherence to internal logical consistency leads to poor design despite the logical consistency.

In this case, being "consistent " with MTR's logic forces the user to use AUM's record button in situations where one would never use it in AUM and which no other sequencer or recording app uses.

Forcing a user to record additional audio tracks they don't want to is poor design. It is logically consistent at the expense of usability. One of the principles of good design is solving the user's problems with design choices rather than which sometimes means abandoning internal logical consistency when adherence reduces usability,

The fact that it confuses or annoys most users is a sign of a design flaw.
    And this also makes remote mode useless in a host with no record mode.

I don't have enough free space to record an extra audio track in AUM for each take in MTR. A user being forced to record tracks in the host may be internally consistent but is highly undesirable. This is a case where leaving behind consistency makes the product both more intuitive and more usable.

Note : recording an empty track in AUM still takes up as much disk space as the track recorded in MTR.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@krassmann said:

Unfortunately not. You still have to hit Rec in AUM for MTR to actually record.

• edited March 2021

@wim said:

@krassmann said:

Unfortunately not. You still have to hit Rec in AUM for MTR to actually record.

And just to emphasize for @krassman; you have to actually Record audio in AUM (even if silent) . The record button doesn't work in AUM otherwise. AND can't be used in Audiobus because it doesn't have a record button. The dev could simply allow the track to be armed and triggered without requiring the host's record button to be pressed (if it even has one).

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

All it would take is allowing to use the master Record Arm button in MTR even with Remote engaged. :/

Hey @4Pockets - I totally respect your right to do as you think is best for the app, and you've been super accommodating, but sorry ... I just have to try one more time for this one.

• @wim said:
    All it would take is allowing to use the master Record Arm button in MTR even with Remote engaged. :/

Hey @4Pockets - I totally respect your right to do as you think is best for the app, and you've been super accommodating, but sorry ... I just have to try one more time for this one.

+1

• Is there any way to delete a clip in MTR other than cut?

• You can manually delete it in the Audio Pool.

• @GRiker said:
    You can manually delete it in the Audio Pool.

I should have been clearer. I meant from the timeline.

• edited March 2021

@wim said:

Yeah, you’re right allowing to record would resolve all the trouble. I just played around with my test project and now I noticed that I switch MTR from Remote to Host Sync when I record with punch in and out. And to play back loops in MTR I have to switch back to Remote then. So I keep switching back and forth and moreover need to navigate AUM’s timeline prior to record my take. That’s doable but definitely not a great user experience.

I think I know why I did not notice that before. I was not working on a linear project with MTR but rather using this new mode with snapshots in conjunction with LK. Then I did all the recording from the beginning of the timeline and then moved the good takes further down the timeline where I have the loop regions for the LK scenes. So I had to always toggle the host modes but not navigate AUM’s timeline. The toggle was not so painful for me but the timeline navigation is.

• If people write to Paul about making this one change -- perhaps he will give it some attention while the recent changes are fresh on his mind.