Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

I sound negative on this app. I'm actually not. It fills a big need for me. I just wish it had one or two refinements first rather than this focus on new features.

• @wim said:

@Daveypoo said:
    I would like to see the ability to set loop points within MultiTrack Recorder while syncing to the host. This would allow a sample to be recorded and then looped in sync with the host app.

But I love the idea of a full EQ - more ways to keep everything within the host app rather than having to switch screens. Love it!

You can play back loops in time with the host if you set the BPM to match, turn off Host Sync, and turn on Remote.

Recording is trickier because with this combination you have to use the host's record button. It'll work in AUM (I think), but AUM requires you to have at least one of its tracks armed in order to press record. So, you have to record something you don't need, and delete it. You can't do recording this way in Audiobus because there's no Record feature.

If @4Pockets would just let you arm recording from within the app with the above setup, it could work. I can't seem to get that idea communicated or accepted. It would complete the app for me (aside from fixes for bugs reported by @MonzoPro and others).

Not impressed with the lack of response. I won’t be buying any more of their apps now, and I probably would have grabbed the new fx one.

• @kinkujin said:
    Ok, here's a question from a non owner of this app.
    Can you use this app to record external hardware synths (via input from interface) and sync up with say errr Grooverider?

Someone suggested Cubasis should work for this but I can't get it to work for me. Besides I'm not a cubasis lover.

Yes, you can do this, but it really depends on the host and what is the sync master.

• Thanks, @wim

I think i will skip this for now and try to stay at AUM / AudioShare, Enso, Loopy, BlocsWave and maybe MultiTrack DAW...

Anyway way too much Apps :) ;)

• Working well for me.... Just wish it didn’t default to MONO every time a new instance is uploaded. Surely most people want to record in Stereo? Only I forget every time and then need to re-record my track. I can not understand why most people would want Mono over stereo. Would be far better to have it default to STEREO and alter if you want Mono... surely?

• It definitely has room for improvement but it has been the easiest way for me to get loops recorded and layered. The mono default can be annoying and fiddling with the host sync. It might help if I weren’t always so baked when recorded but that’s not going to change

• Well, once again totally missed that one until now... :)

Tried to read everything, correct me if I'm wrong:
    1.DigitStix drummer does REAL TIME timestretching ? (on loops) like Launchpad app but as a proper midi sampler ? It's real time, not like EG Pulse, and it's super stable ???...
    2.I can sync Multitrack recorder to Xequence 2 ???...I can have 8 tracks of unlimited time ? (Ram limits or is it playing from the hard drive ???)
    3.The timeline of MTR can be as long as I want (even with lots of emptiness, then some samples ?
    4.Does MTR handles real time timestretching as well ?
    5.Does timestretch algorithme is okay ?

Thanks...Good night... :)

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@crony said:
    Well, once again totally missed that one until now... :)

Tried to read everything, correct me if I'm wrong:
    1.DigitStix drummer does REAL TIME timestretching ? (on loops) like Launchpad app but as a proper midi sampler ? It's real time, not like EG Pulse, and it's super stable ???..

Time stretch isn’t realtime.

2.I can sync Multitrack recorder to Xequence 2 ???...I can have 8 tracks of unlimited time ? (Ram limits or is it playing from the hard drive ???)

Well, you can sync timing, but not time-line. So, you can’t start X2 at bar 10 and have MTR automatically start at bar 10. It runs in a host such as AUM. Unfortunately no hosts that I know of follow song position, even though X2 sends it.

The answer about streaming is less clear. I haven’t read anywhere for sure, but I would assume it does have ram limitations and it doesn’t stream from permanent storage (iOS devices don’t have “hard drives”, but I get what you mean.)

3.The timeline of MTR can be as long as I want (even with lots of emptiness, then some samples ?

I’ve never checked the maximum length you can do, but generally, yes.

4.Does MTR handles real time timestretching as well ?

Not real-time. It’s offline, and somewhat slow but works well.

5.Does timestretch algorithme is okay ?

I’m never very happy with any timestretching algorithms, but it’s actually pretty good.

• Thanks @wim !
    Hmm...2019, no real time timestretch sampler on IOS...Except BM3, but I'd like just his sampler...And it doesn't recognize Program Change...
    :neutral: :neutral: :neutral: :neutral:

• I’m taking a chance on this one ...

• edited November 2019

Um, late to this thread, so apologies if I missed the answer already, but I just got Multitrack and I’m digging into it now - am I right in thinking that the only way to actually record simultaneous tracks in AUM is to put an instance of MR in the effect path of every instrument I want to record this way? Is there no way to route channels to tracks for recording in the single instance suggested by @4Pockets themselves? Maybe I missed something. It seems you can only arm a single track for recording one at a time in each instance of MR? This is fine and I can work with it, but it makes me wonder what the point then is of duplicating all the track mixing functionality (and presumable PSU/memory overhead) in every instance, since you can only ever mix clips in a ‘final’ instance. It’s like you’d be better off with a slimmed down ‘record this channel’ option, a la the existing File Player AU gadget, multiple instances of which can then be routed to the all bells and whistles full mixing desk of the current MR. It’s still worth it for allowing me to edit, mix and arrange audio, adding Cubasis style tools effectively to File Player inside AUM, but in it’s current iteration it seems a little - inefficient? Unless I’ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick, obvs. :)

• @Toastedghost said:
    Working well for me.... Just wish it didn’t default to MONO every time a new instance is uploaded. Surely most people want to record in Stereo? Only I forget every time and then need to re-record my track. I can not understand why most people would want Mono over stereo. Would be far better to have it default to STEREO and alter if you want Mono... surely?

Yep, and I've mentioned this to the dev. Lost count of the number of times I've forgot to do this, and last night it recorded a clip in mono, even though I'd enabled the stereo button. Tried again and it then recorded in stereo.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Um, late to this thread, so apologies if I missed the answer already, but I just got Multitrack and I’m digging into it now - am I right in thinking that the only way to actually record simultaneous tracks in AUM is to put an instance of MR in the effect path of every instrument I want to record this way? Is there no way to route channels to tracks for recording in the single instance suggested by @4Pockets themselves?

Nope. It'd be a good idea for an update, to be able to route AUM channels to separate tracks in a single instance, but not possible at the moment.

• Yes it’ll make me use it more if it actually does single instance multitrack recording. The name of the app implies it after all. You’d have to set up the ports manually in AUM, but it’d be much better workflow.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes it’ll make me use it more if it actually does single instance multitrack recording. The name of the app implies it after all. You’d have to set up the ports manually in AUM, but it’d be much better workflow.

How would this work? Is there other apps that do something like this in AUM?

• @gregsmith said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yes it’ll make me use it more if it actually does single instance multitrack recording. The name of the app implies it after all. You’d have to set up the ports manually in AUM, but it’d be much better workflow.

I'm not sure right now if it is possible in AUM but when AUM adds multiroute sidechain AU capability then it definitely will be possible, so hopefully the developer will look at it then. Think only MultitrackStudio has this right now.

• No. There are no single audio units that can receive multiple input streams of audio. There is a reason why no sidechain single audio unit exists (and why apps like Audio Damage Discord4 has sidechain input in VST but not in the iOS version). I think it is technically doable in Core Audio (?), but it would need an update to AUM (and any other host).

• @Carnbot said:

@gregsmith said:

@Carnbot said:

I'm not sure right now if it is possible in AUM but when AUM adds multiroute sidechain AU capability then it definitely will be possible, so hopefully the developer will look at it then. Think only MultitrackStudio has this right now.

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Multi route au capabilities would be great.

• @bleep said:
    No. There are no single audio units that can receive multiple input streams of audio. There is a reason why no sidechain single audio unit exists (and why apps like Audio Damage Discord4 has sidechain input in VST but not in the iOS version). I think it is technically doable in Core Audio (?), but it would need an update to AUM (and any other host).

There are some AU apps capable of this and waiting for the update from hosts, like the Fabfilter eq/C-2 and NYcompressor, it works in MTS just needs other hosts to catch up. Fabfilter EQ match works in AUM but it must be sharing audio info with the other AU in a different way I suppose. :)

• Developer is still on it..

King

• @MonzoPro said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Working well for me.... Just wish it didn’t default to MONO every time a new instance is uploaded. Surely most people want to record in Stereo? Only I forget every time and then need to re-record my track. I can not understand why most people would want Mono over stereo. Would be far better to have it default to STEREO and alter if you want Mono... surely?

Yep, and I've mentioned this to the dev. Lost count of the number of times I've forgot to do this, and last night it recorded a clip in mono, even though I'd enabled the stereo button. Tried again and it then recorded in stereo.

The latest update, out today, defaults to stereo.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Um, late to this thread, so apologies if I missed the answer already, but I just got Multitrack and I’m digging into it now - am I right in thinking that the only way to actually record simultaneous tracks in AUM is to put an instance of MR in the effect path of every instrument I want to record this way? Is there no way to route channels to tracks for recording in the single instance suggested by @4Pockets themselves? Maybe I missed something. It seems you can only arm a single track for recording one at a time in each instance of MR? This is fine and I can work with it, but it makes me wonder what the point then is of duplicating all the track mixing functionality (and presumable PSU/memory overhead) in every instance, since you can only ever mix clips in a ‘final’ instance. It’s like you’d be better off with a slimmed down ‘record this channel’ option, a la the existing File Player AU gadget, multiple instances of which can then be routed to the all bells and whistles full mixing desk of the current MR. It’s still worth it for allowing me to edit, mix and arrange audio, adding Cubasis style tools effectively to File Player inside AUM, but in it’s current iteration it seems a little - inefficient? Unless I’ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick, obvs. :)

Hosts can't really route separate audio streams to a single AU plugin. But if you put MTR on a bus, you can choose (one at a time) which apps to route to it, thus recording on separate tracks all in the same instance.

The other way is to put separate instances on each track, then drag audio between them into a master instance.

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Toastedghost said:

The latest update, out today, defaults to stereo.

Yeah cool, I’d reported three of those issues on the list. Funnily enough I was just this moment recording with the (non updated) version. Will try out the update tomorrow.

Only big issues for me not on the list is when the transport controls stop working, and clips not playing occasionally, but maybe they’re in the ‘other fixes’.

• Can volume be increased (boosted) above the peak volume of the source wav on a clip level?

• @AudioGus said:
    Can volume be increased (boosted) above the peak volume of the source wav on a clip level?

Yeah, you can use the ‘normalise’ function to boost clips.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@wim said:

Hosts can't really route separate audio streams to a single AU plugin. But if you put MTR on a bus, you can choose (one at a time) which apps to route to it, thus recording on separate tracks all in the same instance.

The other way is to put separate instances on each track, then drag audio between them into a master instance.

@Svetlovska, @MonzoPro - AU apps can share audio between instances of themselves. So, for instance, an app like Visual Mixer can show separate channels for each instance. But only if there's an instance on every track. So there's little gain there over just using it one of the ways I described above. The issue still remains that a single AU instance can't separate out multiple channels of audio sent to it, so I don't think this is possible as an app enhancement - at least not until hosts support audio side-chaining (maybe even not then - I don't know).

• @MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:
    Can volume be increased (boosted) above the peak volume of the source wav on a clip level?

Is that a destructive edit that make a new wav?

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

it makes a new one but keeps the old in the audio pool. You can keep it or leave it.
    For live and non-destructive adjustments, you can use the mixer at the track level (not clip level). It does have some headroom for boosts.

• edited December 2019

@wim, @4Pockets, ok, thanks for that, it’s what I thought, and what I’m doing, but fwiw, it therefore seems to me that this makes for unnecessary overhead (if only in AUM real estate) in showing multiple tracks, levels etc in every per-channel instance, since you can only actually record one channel with an instance of MTR in the effect slot of that channel, and only mix multiple channels if these individual channels are routed to a final bus, and this in turn means you only really need full multichannel mix capability in at most one (mix bus) channel instance per AUM session? So what I’m suggesting is that a single record ‘strip’ per effects slot would more accurately and efficiently display what you can actually do with an instance of MTR in that channel, and the one ‘mixdown’ MTR on the final summing bus could be the all bells and whistles multi channel display.

• @wim said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

it makes a new one but keeps the old in the audio pool. You can keep it or leave it.
    For live and non-destructive adjustments, you can use the mixer at the track level (not clip level). It does have some headroom for boosts.

Nice, thanks for the explains homies!