Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• Hmm, is this working for anyone as they expect?

How do you route tracks out of the multiple buses? I assumed because you can’t select which track goes out of which bus, it would default to track one plays through bus 1 , track 2 bus 2 etc, at the moment for me all tracks go through the main bus only and I see no way to change this....

• @Carnbot said:
    Hmm, is this working for anyone as they expect?

How do you route tracks out of the multiple buses? I assumed because you can’t select which track goes out of which bus, it would default to track one plays through bus 1 , track 2 bus 2 etc, at the moment for me all tracks go through the main bus only and I see no way to change this....

If you look at the buttons above the mixer section, tap the FX button.
    It will pop up a menu, and you can select Output Bus.
    The tracks in the mixer now have bus buttons, allowing you to route each track to a bus.
    Bus one is the default bus for the Sending instance, busses 2-8 are available using multi-out.

When you use the new Multi-out feature, on the receiving tracks you can tap the little number flag to choose which Output bus it listens to.

• @CracklePot said:

@Carnbot said:
    Hmm, is this working for anyone as they expect?

If you look at the buttons above the mixer section, tap the FX button.
    It will pop up a menu, and you can select Output Bus.
    The tracks in the mixer now have bus buttons, allowing you to route each track to a bus.
    Bus one is the default bus for the Sending instance, busses 2-8 are available using multi-out.

When you use the new Multi-out feature, on the receiving tracks you can tap the little number flag to choose which Output bus it listens to.

Ah thanks, I’ve never used that fx button before, now I know :) I think perhaps the workflow could be a lot simpler if that bus selection was also available on the tracks of the editor.

• From 4pockets facebook:

I've had a lot of requests to go over how to use the multiple inputs and outputs when using MultiTrack within AUM. I am aware it is a pretty advanced topic and not so obvious when coming at this as a new AUM user. For those of you still in need of a better explanation on how this works please see this short following video highlighting the process. I also cover the new per track EQ feature added in the previous version.

• @MonzoPro said:

@chisel316 said:
    This is a great app, but the timing is off on the punch in. It starts recording a little bit before the mark. This is very apparent if you punch in at the beginning where there is silence before the recording. You end up with a gap of silence if you try to loop the clip. My workaround is to punch in after one loop so it records the end of the loop at the beginning instead of silence. The first pass of the clip sounds a bit off (with it starting at the end of the loop), but subsequent loops are seamless.

Yep, also if recording from the start of a track, there’s always a slight fade in using sync. So I clip the first bar, and use the audio from the second bar.

Could be one of the most useful apps on my iPad, but I’ve stopped using this app now, since the bugs I reported haven’t been fixed, and it just winds me up.

I was looking at getting this, as I love AUM, and use mpe a lot, this could be a great solution for me to do songs in AUM. But this punch in problem sounds like a pain in the ass. Has this still not been fixed? Would people recommend this app at present?

• @Gavinski said:

@MonzoPro said:

@chisel316 said:
    This is a great app, but the timing is off on the punch in. It starts recording a little bit before the mark. This is very apparent if you punch in at the beginning where there is silence before the recording. You end up with a gap of silence if you try to loop the clip. My workaround is to punch in after one loop so it records the end of the loop at the beginning instead of silence. The first pass of the clip sounds a bit off (with it starting at the end of the loop), but subsequent loops are seamless.

Yep, also if recording from the start of a track, there’s always a slight fade in using sync. So I clip the first bar, and use the audio from the second bar.

Could be one of the most useful apps on my iPad, but I’ve stopped using this app now, since the bugs I reported haven’t been fixed, and it just winds me up.

I was looking at getting this, as I love AUM, and use mpe a lot, this could be a great solution for me to do songs in AUM. But this punch in problem sounds like a pain in the ass. Has this still not been fixed? Would people recommend this app at present?

I haven’t used it since the last update, so can’t confirm if that’s fixed - might give it a go tonight, so will report back if I do. Last time I used it after the previous update though, all the bugs were still in place.

• Thanks, will look forward to your update Monz :)

• Great idea but can’t get my head around the internal song saving at all. It’s a mess.

Here’s hoping the AUv3 saving is bug free.

• @topaz said:
    Great idea but can’t get my head around the internal song saving at all. It’s a mess.

Here’s hoping the AUv3 saving is bug free.

That usually works ok, I save and name the project at the start, and just keep hitting save as I add tracks. I’ve accidentally saved over songs a couple of times though.

• I bought this app in the end and was trying to see if there was still a problem with the two things mentioned below. I recorded a drum loop using host sync and punch in/out, right from the first bar. No problems with silence, no fade in, so I guess these problems were fixed? If so, this looks like it’ll be a hell of a useful app for me.

I watched Paul’s YouTube video (yet another app without a manual!) but didn’t see him mention the ‘follow’ button. Would anyone be kind enough to explain what that is?

@MonzoPro said:

@chisel316 said:

• @Gavinski said:
    I bought this app in the end and was trying to see if there was still a problem with the two things mentioned below. I recorded a drum loop using host sync and punch in/out, right from the first bar. No problems with silence, no fade in, so I guess these problems were fixed? If so, this looks like it’ll be a hell of a useful app for me.

I watched Paul’s YouTube video (yet another app without a manual!) but didn’t see him mention the ‘follow’ button. Would anyone be kind enough to explain what that is?

@MonzoPro said:

@chisel316 said:

Follow allows the timeline of 4 pockets to move with your DAW. I added the plugin as an AU Effect and it followed along (forwards). For some reason, it didn't go back when I went to the start. Not sure if intended.

• @Gavinski said:
    I bought this app in the end and was trying to see if there was still a problem with the two things mentioned below. I recorded a drum loop using host sync and punch in/out, right from the first bar. No problems with silence, no fade in, so I guess these problems were fixed? If so, this looks like it’ll be a hell of a useful app for me.

@MonzoPro said:

@chisel316 said:

Yeah sorry didn’t get around to testing it last night, good to hear it’s fixed though.

• No worries man @MonzoPro , I figured if it really had those problems I would get a refund for sure.

@Samflash3 isn’t that what sync with host does? What’s the difference do you know?

• @Gavinski said:
    No worries man @MonzoPro , I figured if it really had those problems I would get a refund for sure.

@Samflash3 isn’t that what sync with host does? What’s the difference do you know?

Not exactly. Sync with Host is important to allow it to play with the timeline. Follow causes the screen to follow the red line on the 4Pockets app.

• You seem to use MTR to record single tracks or busses...

But isn't that the same as just recording this to an audio file, or maybe directly into a DAW like Auria Pro / Cubasis / MultiTrack DAW or maybe Looping Apps like Loopy?

You are finally replacing some MIDI tracks with their recording, or?

What exactly do you gain by using MTR instead of the above solutions?

Just seeking reasons to buy it :)

• edited March 2020

@tja said:
    You seem to use MTR to record single tracks or busses...

But isn't that the same as just recording this to an audio file, or maybe directly into a DAW like Auria Pro / Cubasis / MultiTrack DAW or maybe Looping Apps like Loopy?

My main reason is flexibility. I can take the same recording that is in 4Pockets and use it in GarageBand, Beatmaker, Audiobus.

It gives Nanostudio the ability to record audios

It's cheaper than AUM (although I'll have to get AUM soon enough)

It allows me to "freeze GarageBand tracks". By which, I mean being able to get the audio of a complex channel to be mix down to a track.

It also expands Garageband's limit, as each instance of it is 8 tracks. (Theoretically) 32 Multitrack × tracks = 126 tracks.

I can record clean versions of my guitar for mixdowns in Audiobus (theoretically)

I only need to learn 1 mixing interface to use in multiple DAWs. Which is a blessing, as iOS apps have diverse mixing apps.

I haven't fully dived deep into what I marked as theoretically, but it seems doable.

I never tried Loopy (Sadly, dont have the app; I do have Blocs Wave, and it's one of my most used apps; Multitrack won't replace it. It'll just allow me to do a lot more WITH it).

Honestly, if 4Pockets made the same thing for MIDI so that I wouldn't have to use RouteMIDI + Xequence to get stuff out of Garageband, it'll just be a major game changer.

• @Samflash3 I don’t think you can use MTR to record audio in NS2. If it did I would have bought already

• @tja said:

I just got it, so can't say too much yet about how I will use it, but the main attraction for me is that it means I can make songs using mpe synths in AUM. Since there is no ios midi sequencer that is mpe-compatible, and cubasis is the only ios daw that offers this, this MTR app will open up a lot of new options for me.

• @fattigman said:
    @Samflash3 I don’t think you can use MTR to record audio in NS2. If it did I would have bought already

It's a roundabout way of doing it. Doug explains it in the first 10 mins of this video. But the idea is to make your audio recording either in the standalone app, or import it into Multitrack as he did.

• @Samflash3 ok thanks for the info 👍

• @Gavinski said:

@tja said:

I just got it, so can't say too much yet about how I will use it, but the main attraction for me is that it means I can make songs using mpe synths in AUM. Since there is no ios midi sequencer that is mpe-compatible, and cubasis is the only ios daw that offers this, this MTR app will open up a lot of new options for me.

Could you please expand on this?

You are going to use MTR in Cubasis, or in AUM, or how do you connect which Apps?

• @Samflash3 said:

@fattigman said:
    @Samflash3 I don’t think you can use MTR to record audio in NS2. If it did I would have bought already

It's a roundabout way of doing it. Doug explains it in the first 10 mins of this video. But the idea is to make your audio recording either in the standalone app, or import it into Multitrack as he did.

Ah, thanks.

I did not think about the possibility to play a track....
    May come from the fact that I am more interested in recording audio from nanostudio 2.
    Going to think about this.

• edited March 2020

@tja said:

@Samflash3 said:

@fattigman said:

Ah, thanks.

I did not think about the possibility to play a track....
    May come from the fact that I am more interested in recording audio from nanostudio 2.
    Going to think about this.

I get that. That's the reason I'm holding off on getting AUM, despite being tempted so much with sidechain potential. The fact that I can easily plug this app into GarageBand, Nanostudio, and other IAA/AUv3 app via AudioBus, and get all the sounds out of it and into it, while using the same audio interface is super fun.

I say use what you're comfortable with. Sounds like AUM has you covered.

• @tja said:

@Gavinski said:

@tja said:

Could you please expand on this?

You are going to use MTR in Cubasis, or in AUM, or how do you connect which Apps?

Going to use it in AUM. The devs video on YouTube shows how to connect apps, you just have to use the bus system in AUM, and put MTR on the fx slot of the out bus.

The only reason I mentioned cubasis is that it is currently the only daw / ios sequencer that can record mpe midi. MTR is simply an easy way for me to record and sequence mpe audio while staying in AUM.

• @MonzoPro : did the bugs/features that were problems for you ever get implemented?

• I have a few questions. I am look into whether I could use MultiTrack Recorder as a practice/rehearsal tool in AUM. My intention would be to record a rhythm guitar part (let's say 16 or 32 measures) and then be able to set that track to loop and record unlooped tracks. I can do that with a combination of things now but am looking to simplify the process.

Is it possible to start and stop recording in MultiTrack Recorder using MIDI events? I read something that gave me the impression that recording in sync with AUM's timeline that one needed to press AUM's record button. Is that actually the case or do I misunderstand?

• @Maarten said:
    Use in Nanostudio 2 seems limited. Because Nanostudio doesn’t provide the option to select external audio inputs (iPad mic or audio interface) you can’t record external audio into multitrack recorder within the Nanostudio ecosystem. That’s a serious bummer. Well, at least it works brilliantly within AUM. Many thanks to the developer of 4 Pockets for another wonderful app!

I agree. Is it a limitation of the platform? That AUv3 guests can't directly receive input from mic, i mean.

• @god said:

@Maarten said:
    Use in Nanostudio 2 seems limited. Because Nanostudio doesn’t provide the option to select external audio inputs (iPad mic or audio interface) you can’t record external audio into multitrack recorder within the Nanostudio ecosystem. That’s a serious bummer. Well, at least it works brilliantly within AUM. Many thanks to the developer of 4 Pockets for another wonderful app!

I agree. Is it a limitation of the platform? That AUv3 guests can't directly receive input from mic, i mean.

AUv3 can only talk to the host. So, an AUv3 is limited to input sources that the host routes to it. If a host doesn't support mic input, AUv3 hosted inside that host can't get mic input.

• @espiegel123 said:

@god said:

@Maarten said:

AUv3 can only talk to the host. So, an AUv3 is limited to input sources that the host routes to it. If a host doesn't support mic input, AUv3 hosted inside that host can't get mic input.

I see. Thank you.

Actually, NS2 does allow mic input (in the Slate pad), you can record audio in it. But yeah, it does not allow passing it into guest.

• How do I use this with NanoStudio. Is there any guides or YouTube vids?