Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• @wim said:

What a wonderful tool though, eh?!

Oh definitely. I've made about five things with it already. As I do everything in AUM anyway, this is a great way of turning my jam ideas into finished songs.

• Any news on 24-bit? Yes, yes, I know.

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:
    It'd be great if the dev could work this in somehow - but maybe it's a limitation of how an AU/AUM sync works.

I'm gonna try by email one more time. Paul has been super-responsive to earlier suggestions, and went 90% of the way on this with the enabling of the No Host Sync / Remote option. That last 10%, which seems to me like it should be easy, hasn't materialized. I don't know if its because he disagrees with the idea or if I just haven't communicated it well enough, or if it's under consideration. It's worth a try though as I think it's perfect for just about any use case with just that one small change.

What a wonderful tool though, eh?!

I'm very happy to have it for what it is now. Well worth the $10 I think, and for me it's an essential App.

• Sorry, maybe my question has already been asked and answered, but this is a fairly long thread...
    how can I loop the tracks recorded in AUM when the plugin is synchronized with the host?

• @Faland said:
    Sorry, maybe my question has already been asked and answered, but this is a fairly long thread...
    how can I loop the tracks recorded in AUM when the plugin is synchronized with the host?

Set the project tempo to match AUM's tempo, disable Host Sync, enable Remote, set the play head in the app to the beginning of the loop.

• It would be great if someone created a page with tips/tricks for this app on the wiki.

• @wim said:

@Faland said:
    Sorry, maybe my question has already been asked and answered, but this is a fairly long thread...

Set the project tempo to match AUM's tempo, disable Host Sync, enable Remote, set the play head in the app to the beginning of the loop.

Great! Thank you soooo much, it works flawless. :smiley:

• Drives me nuts this one, it has more bugs than any other app on my iPad. Its new thing tonight is a ‘ghost clip’, that’s appeared in my song, stuck to the bottom of the timeline screen.

Talk about love/hate relationship - it’s revolutionised my music making, but I’m doing it through gritted teeth.

Please, please dev, polish this up a bit before rushing off to your next app.

• Any news on 24 bit? Haven't been following this thread.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    Drives me nuts this one, it has more bugs than any other app on my iPad. Its new thing tonight is a ‘ghost clip’, that’s appeared in my song, stuck to the bottom of the timeline screen.

Talk about love/hate relationship - it’s revolutionised my music making, but I’m doing it through gritted teeth.

Won't happen if you don't report the bugs specifically to him. It's like expecting your car to get fixed without taking it in to the shop.

(sorry, you surely know that already and are just venting. I can't shut myself up some times - having been on the other end of the stick all my career.)

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Drives me nuts this one, it has more bugs than any other app on my iPad. Its new thing tonight is a ‘ghost clip’, that’s appeared in my song, stuck to the bottom of the timeline screen.

Won't happen if you don't report the bugs specifically to him. It's like expecting your car to get fixed without taking it in to the shop.

(sorry, you surely know that already and are just venting. I can't shut myself up some times - having been on the other end of the stick all my career.)

Well, I would do that but their support and contact page is broken. Which is a bit like going to the garage to tell them about your faulty car, and finding there’s no one there.

I’ll see if an email works, but my first port of call is usually on here as sometimes others can suggest a fix, or point out I’m doing something wrong, which saves hassling the dev unnecessarily, and since he’s a member and this is a thread dedicated to the app in question thought he might also see it.

• Yeh, hopefully @4pockets drops in from time to time. There wasn’t really much actionable information in your comment. If you”re ever able to reproduce the issues consistently and/or describe them in more detail that might move the ball farther along. A screen shot of that ghost clip would probably be really helpful as well.

I think the official support email is [email protected]. I have a direct email as well, and will be happy to pass any details along if there’s no response.

I get the impression that, like me, when heads down in coding mode, communication tends to slip, but he does seem to manage to catch up when he can.

• edited November 2019

@wim said:
    Yeh, hopefully @4pockets drops in from time to time. There wasn’t really much actionable information in your comment. If you”re ever able to reproduce the issues consistently and/or describe them in more detail that might move the ball farther along. A screen shot of that ghost clip would probably be really helpful as well.

I think the official support email is [email protected]. I have a direct email as well, and will be happy to pass any details along if there’s no response.

I get the impression that, like me, when heads down in coding mode, communication tends to slip, but he does seem to manage to catch up when he can.

I’ve mentioned quite a few in this thread, but I’ll repost the ones I can think of, and send an email as well.

Bugs:

Sometimes all clips appear to move when editing another clip, but zooming in shows they haven’t. Graphic glitch.

Waveforms don’t always show in clips. Ditto. They seem to disappear half way through working on a song.

Transport controls stop working, and song keeps playing until it reaches the end, then they work again. Seems to be an issue when using longer audio clips.

Same as above, but then they don’t and I have to reload the session.

Audio from certain clips/tracks doesn’t play. This happens every session, and stopping and rewinding usually fixes it. Completely random, long and short clips affected.

Sometimes an edited clip that has been split/faded will play as it was before it was edited. Maybe a cache thing.

Split function transfers any fades onto newly split edges.

Still having problems with zooming and editing clips - particularly trying to resize a clip. Seems worse after last update. Moving and fades usually ok.

I haven’t had the lost audio issue recently when opening a saved song, so that seems to be fixed.

Weird ‘ghost track’ issue last night, where full width clip was displayed, and stuck to bottom of the screen.

Suggestions for improvement:

Stereo recording on by default. I regularly forget to enable this.

Full height screen in standalone portrait mode - lots of wasted space.

Full height option for just track timeline section in AU to avoid scrolling.

That’s as much as I can remember this early in the morning, and I’ll email it as well. I’m only bothering to do this as I otherwise love the app, and don’t want to see it left behind in a flurry to get the next one out. Any other app with a list like that, which is a serious PITA when you’re trying to work, and it’d be refund time.

• I would like to add to the list that here the Solo and Mute functions only work the first time, and then no longer during playback. To make them work again, but only once, you have to stop and start again.

• Thanks @MonzoPro, I plan to put some time into seeing if I can replicate those things, and if I can will report them too. Hopefully this will help @4Pockets polish this up, because you're right, it's an essential.

• edited November 2019

@wim said:
    Thanks @MonzoPro, I plan to put some time into seeing if I can replicate those things, and if I can will report them too. Hopefully this will help @4Pockets polish this up, because you're right, it's an essential.

Cheers Wim. Could be my Air2 is causing some of the issues, but the clip resizing, unresponsive track controls, muted audio and edited clips not picking up changes will eventually consign this to my 'given up' folder as it's really slowing down my workflow. It's actually made me think about going back to Auria and using that instead as I've rediscovered using the iPad as a DAW, though I'd prefer to keep everything in AUM if I can, and this app is easier on the CPU. However I don't get any similar issues using Auria, or any other similar app for that matter.

Emailed the dev first thing this morning with the list but haven't heard back.

• Cool. I'll ping him too. Lotta good helpful info in that post.
    You might not hear back right away. It took a bit of persistence last time for me, but then he was super responsive.

• Can clips be overlapped and cross faded on the same track?

• @AudioGus said:
    Can clips be overlapped and cross faded on the same track?

It's not obvious, but just tried it out and it does seem to work.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:
    Can clips be overlapped and cross faded on the same track?

It's not obvious, but just tried it out and it does seem to work.

MMmm, very good, thank you!

• Unless you're running out of tracks, the clips can be freely moved about, so no need to squish them into one lane unless you just want to.

• edited November 2019

@wim said:
    Unless you're running out of tracks, the clips can be freely moved about, so no need to squish them into one lane unless you just want to.

Just thinking of things like effecting transients or repairing a performance.

• From facebook:

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in what to expect with the next Multi-Track Recorder update coming soon. The next version will include a 3 band parametric as well as low and high shelf filters per channel. This much requested feature will seriously bring your mixes to life.

• @White said:
    From facebook:

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in what to expect with the next Multi-Track Recorder update coming soon. The next version will include a 3 band parametric as well as low and high shelf filters per channel. This much requested feature will seriously bring your mixes to life.

This is great.
    When Blocswave got that 3band EQ, it helped tremendously with getting better mixes out of the app.

• Blah. Nice, but I'd rather see the essential missing piece: ability to arm tracks inside the app with Host Sync off and Remote on.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda frustrated that this so much needed feature request is just being ignored. I assume there's a reason @4pockets doesn't want to do it, but the radio silence leaves me wondering just why.

• I would like to see the ability to set loop points within MultiTrack Recorder while syncing to the host. This would allow a sample to be recorded and then looped in sync with the host app.

But I love the idea of a full EQ - more ways to keep everything within the host app rather than having to switch screens. Love it!

• edited November 2019

Ok, here's a question from a non owner of this app.
    Can you use this app to record external hardware synths (via input from interface) and sync up with say errr Grooverider?

Someone suggested Cubasis should work for this but I can't get it to work for me. Besides I'm not a cubasis lover.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I would like to see the ability to set loop points within MultiTrack Recorder while syncing to the host. This would allow a sample to be recorded and then looped in sync with the host app.

But I love the idea of a full EQ - more ways to keep everything within the host app rather than having to switch screens. Love it!

You can play back loops in time with the host if you set the BPM to match, turn off Host Sync, and turn on Remote.

Recording is trickier because with this combination you have to use the host's record button. It'll work in AUM (I think), but AUM requires you to have at least one of its tracks armed in order to press record. So, you have to record something you don't need, and delete it. You can't do recording this way in Audiobus because there's no Record feature.

If @4Pockets would just let you arm recording from within the app with the above setup, it could work. I can't seem to get that idea communicated or accepted. It would complete the app for me (aside from fixes for bugs reported by @MonzoPro and others).

• Is it correct, that you cannot save the audio as files somehow, or export the audio somehow, for example save to AudioShare?

Only by drag and drop, or how?

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@tja said:
    Is it correct, that you cannot save the audio as files somehow, or export the audio somehow, for example save to AudioShare?

Only by drag and drop, or how?

Drag and drop, or using the export button. No big deal to me, but there is one annoyance. The files are named S00001.WAV, etc. Even if you imported a file with a meaningful name, that name is only retained in the description in the app. If you re-exported it, it would now have the rather useless internal name, so you have to rename each clip.

The other show-stopper for you, I would bet, is the limit of 16bit audio format.