Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• The default Stereo mode is cool, but it wasn’t a big deal to switch it since you still have to turn on Monitor manually anyway.
    I made a habit that I now have to break.

Anyway, great app and great update.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @wim, @4Pockets, ok, thanks for that, it’s what I thought, and what I’m doing, but fwiw, it therefore seems to me that this makes for unnecessary overhead (if only in AUM real estate) in showing multiple tracks, levels etc in every per-channel instance, since you can only actually record one channel with an instance of MTR in the effect slot of that channel, and only mix multiple channels if these individual channels are routed to a final bus, and this in turn means you only really need full multichannel mix capability in at most one (mix bus) channel instance per AUM session? So what I’m suggesting is that a single record ‘strip’ per effects slot would more accurately and efficiently display what you can actually do with an instance of MTR in that channel, and the one ‘mixdown’ MTR on the final summing bus could be the all bells and whistles multi channel display.

It’s not unnecessary though. It’s necessary because that’s the only way it can work if you want to see the output levels on each AUM channel. There’s nothing 4Pockets can do about this since it’s an iOS/Host limitation.

However, to me it makes a lot more sense just to use one MTR on a bus channel. Then you can send one channel at a time to the MTR instance and record a separate track in MTR for each channel you send to it. You can then mute or even get rid of the channel original channel, thus saving resources. Levels are visible within MTR and can be adjusted individually there. I’d rather look at and deal with just one MTR window than several.

Either way will work. Multiple instances shouldn’t consume much more resources than multiple tracks on a single instance.

Whatever works for you.

• Here’s a quick Mock-up of the setup I’m describing. The bus-send is turned up for each of the tracks in turn, and after recording in MTR, can be muted or the plugin unloaded. Levels for each channel can then be adjusted in MTR. Maybe not a good workflow for you, but I prefer it this way. Just wanted to explain in case it wasn’t clear.

• edited December 2019

@wim : thanks, yep, I understand. Reminds me of multitracking back in the portastudio days. Print, rewind, print... :)

• @CracklePot said:
    The default Stereo mode is cool, but it wasn’t a big deal to switch it since you still have to turn on Monitor manually anyway.
    I made a habit that I now have to break.

It was a big deal for me, I lost tons of performances when I first got the app, and even when I became used to switching it on I still occasionally forgot, and one time it recorded in mono even though I’d enabled stereo before recording.

It makes more sense to be default.

• This is a great app, but the timing is off on the punch in. It starts recording a little bit before the mark. This is very apparent if you punch in at the beginning where there is silence before the recording. You end up with a gap of silence if you try to loop the clip. My workaround is to punch in after one loop so it records the end of the loop at the beginning instead of silence. The first pass of the clip sounds a bit off (with it starting at the end of the loop), but subsequent loops are seamless.

• @chisel316 said:
    This is a great app, but the timing is off on the punch in. It starts recording a little bit before the mark. This is very apparent if you punch in at the beginning where there is silence before the recording. You end up with a gap of silence if you try to loop the clip. My workaround is to punch in after one loop so it records the end of the loop at the beginning instead of silence. The first pass of the clip sounds a bit off (with it starting at the end of the loop), but subsequent loops are seamless.

Yep, also if recording from the start of a track, there’s always a slight fade in using sync. So I clip the first bar, and use the audio from the second bar.

Could be one of the most useful apps on my iPad, but I’ve stopped using this app now, since the bugs I reported haven’t been fixed, and it just winds me up.

• edited January 2020

@kinkujin said:
    Ok, here's a question from a non owner of this app.
    Can you use this app to record external hardware synths (via input from interface) and sync up with say errr Grooverider?
    Someone suggested Cubasis should work for this but I can't get it to work for me. Besides I'm not a cubasis lover.

@CracklePot said:
    Yes, you can do this, but it really depends on the host and what is the sync master.

There's not much choice with Cubasis, it has to be the MIDI clock master and Groove Rider must be the slave. It works quite well except Steinberg refuses to fix the Clock sync bug in looped mode, so you can't record in a loop. You'd rather have to record a linear track and cut/edit afterwards.
    I suppose this setup only works with Cubasis 2.

• @MonzoPro said:

@chisel316 said:
    This is a great app, but the timing is off on the punch in. It starts recording a little bit before the mark. This is very apparent if you punch in at the beginning where there is silence before the recording. You end up with a gap of silence if you try to loop the clip. My workaround is to punch in after one loop so it records the end of the loop at the beginning instead of silence. The first pass of the clip sounds a bit off (with it starting at the end of the loop), but subsequent loops are seamless.

Yep, also if recording from the start of a track, there’s always a slight fade in using sync. So I clip the first bar, and use the audio from the second bar.

Could be one of the most useful apps on my iPad, but I’ve stopped using this app now, since the bugs I reported haven’t been fixed, and it just winds me up.

What have you switched to using instead? - just pondering whether to get it or leave it be...

• @Krupa said:

@MonzoPro said:

@chisel316 said:

What have you switched to using instead? - just pondering whether to get it or leave it be...

I’ve already got Auria, BM3, NS2 etc. but I don’t really use them as I do everything in AUM these days. The 4pockets recorder was a perfect fit, but the UI is just too buggy for serious use.

I don’t do any multi tracking on the iPad now, so I just record single tracks and then export them to desktop for further work.

The app doesn’t crash, and generally does what it says on the tin, but the bugs and UI layout make it (for me) a tedious experience.

If I had the option I’d refund it, as it is I’m hoping for an update.

• Thanks @MonzoPro I’m deliberating as I’ve just done a spreadsheet of how much I’ve spent on apps since late last year 😬 but keep finding new little things that feel like essential tools - this one especially so. I’ve also got Auria and love using its audio editing but more often than not just play in aum, and occasionally record a mix but thinking I might actually start gathering stems if I use this...

Thanks again,

Chris

• @Krupa said:
    Thanks @MonzoPro I’m deliberating as I’ve just done a spreadsheet of how much I’ve spent on apps since late last year 😬 but keep finding new little things that feel like essential tools - this one especially so. I’ve also got Auria and love using its audio editing but more often than not just play in aum, and occasionally record a mix but thinking I might actually start gathering stems if I use this...

Thanks again,

Chris

No worries, I daren’t add up my app spending!

The app is great, functionality wise - on paper - it’s just the bugs and UI that let it down for me. They might not be an issue for you, and it’s under a tenner.

If they fixed those though, it’d be in my top 5.

• Cheers, I’ll probably prevaricate a little more before my resistance breaks to the inevitable 😁

• edited February 2020

Still the same “critical” issue even after last update, come on dev, do something plz)

• @Artair said:
    Still the same “critical” issue even after last update, come on dev, do something plz)

It doesn't seem that the dev is here often. I think you need to contact him via email or his Facebook page to get some traction. I'd also recommend being straightforward and not too grumpy in re-reporting the problem (with full details of what the issue is).

• @Artair said:

What is it you’re showing?

• From 4pockets facebook:

Since AUM now supports multiple channel outputs I am working hard to ensure this new and important feature is supported in our products. I can confirm that new versions of DigiKeys, DigiStix and MultiTrack will all have support from multiple outputs and will begin to roll out within the next few days. Thanks for your support and kind words guys.

• edited February 2020

@anickt said:

@Artair said:

What is it you’re showing?

Audio off the beat,I’ve seen this before on the forum,anyway,great tool to just import your stems and organize them)no offense actually
    P.S:oops,my second account

• edited February 2020

Great that multi output is confirmed, wonder if multi input is going to be added here too?

• Well, does the sync loop issue has been fixed ?...
    I'd rather have this before multi output...

• 8 out
    3 in

Does this make AUM a DAW?

• @jolico said:
    8 out
    3 in

Does this make AUM a DAW?

Interesting! Can anyone tell me how you can record the 3 ins simultaneously?

• Interesting having three inputs.

Missed opportunity not allowing them all to be simultaneous, but hey I’m also whinging about only four outs on DigiStix too. I should whinge less, because I’ve been asking for multiple outs on drum machine apps since I joined this forum :p , so it’s nice to see at least some progress thanks to any devs giving us more than we initially paid for.

On a side note: yeah I get others wanting some issues fixing first, but I’ve not really noticed many problems myself, but my music is never in time that much anyhoo :#

• edited February 2020

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Interesting having three inputs.

Missed opportunity not allowing them all to be simultaneous, but hey I’m also whinging about only four outs on DigiStix too. I should whinge less, because I’ve been asking for multiple outs on drum machine apps since I joined this forum :p , so it’s nice to see at least some progress thanks to any devs giving us more than we initially paid for.

On a side note: yeah I get others wanting some issues fixing first, but I’ve not really noticed many problems myself, but my music is never in time that much anyhoo :#

def second the thanks for giving us more than we paid for!
    and ok so you can record into one input at a time but not all 3 ... not sure that will be super helpful initially but i’m going to have to test run it and see what i can do!

and ya lol i hardly ever notice an apps limits because im not that talented 🤣

• @reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

and ok so you can record into one input at a time but not all 3 ... not sure that will be super helpful initially but i’m going to have to test run it and see what i can do!

If only the school band had have listened to me all those years ago - I had the ideas, but they had the talent :D

• Well, I'm far from Jimi Hendrix, but recording on time with punch in / out, doesn't sounds like a major request feature to me for an audio recorder using Link sync...

• @crony said:
    Well, I'm far from Jimi Hendrix, but recording on time with punch in / out, doesn't sounds like a major request feature to me for an audio recorder using Link sync...

Nope it’s not. Wasn’t implying any discussion on the subject was not proper, just that my talentless self hasn’t noticed. I’m sure the dev will sort it eventually and I’m in no way saying peeps should not give him friendly reminders to sort it :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@crony said:
    Well, I'm far from Jimi Hendrix, but recording on time with punch in / out, doesn't sounds like a major request feature to me for an audio recorder using Link sync...

Nope it’s not. Wasn’t implying any discussion on the subject was not proper, just that my talentless self hasn’t noticed. I’m sure the dev will sort it eventually and I’m in no way saying peeps should not give him friendly reminders to sort it :)

No problem, will do with all due respect to the dev :)

• Good update, yeah shame about not simultaneous multitrack recording, but maybe that'll come one day. You can’t seem to select a bus per track, just globally. Currently I think the workflow for recording isn’t that good. I think I prefer recording in AUM and then importing, so the multi out is more useful at the moment. :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

If only the school band had have listened to me all those years ago - I had the ideas, but they had the talent :D

they missed out on the best music of their life 🤣😏😎